[Wikimedia-l] WikiJournal project

Felipe Schenone
Hi! So there's a sprouting project called WikiJournal
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group>, the basic idea of
which is to develop an open peer-reviewed academic journal, where we can
all publish our research, and also, maybe, permalinks to Wikipedia articles
that have been peer-reviewed (featured articles) together with the names of
the main author(s), so as to give some well-deserved credit.

Anyway, the thing is that recently, we've been talking to the owner of
wikijournal.org, a fairly similar project with the perfect domain name, and
he has agreed to a merge. So now we're all excited trying to figure out the
details of the merge, and there's one particular issue I'd like to ask
about. If we migrate the content we currently have (on Meta and
Wikiversity) to wikijournal.org, and the project grows, and eventually gets
accepted as a sister-project (as we hope), how will we merge the user
accounts? Should we not worry about it, and we'll figure it out when the
time comes? Or should we totally worry about it, and adopt some strategy
about it now? What's your advice on this issue? I've been looking around
for documentation but the most relevant one
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/New_project_process> seems to have no
advice on this point.

Thanks for any input!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournal project

Brad Jorsch (Anomie)
On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Felipe Schenone <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> If we migrate the content we currently have (on Meta and
> Wikiversity) to wikijournal.org, and the project grows, and eventually
> gets
> accepted as a sister-project (as we hope), how will we merge the user
> accounts? Should we not worry about it, and we'll figure it out when the
> time comes? Or should we totally worry about it, and adopt some strategy
> about it now? What's your advice on this issue?

Note: This post is my personal view and in no way represents any official
WMF position.

My personal guess is that it would wind up being done something like how
accounts on WikiVoyage were handled: people who used the same username on
both WikiVoyage and Wikimedia wikis were able to merge those accounts,
people whose usernames weren't already in use on Wikimedia wikis were able
to claim those names, and other people had to be renamed. Or at least it
seems that's what was done based on the plan document on mediawiki.org[1]
and the process page on en.wikivoyage.org.[2]

To reduce the number of people who would need renaming should the time
come, you might start using an extension like OAuthAuthentication[3] to
authenticate against Meta, and disable any further local account creations.

[1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikivoyage_migration/Accounts
[2]: https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:User_account_migration
[3]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OAuthAuthentication

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournal project

Felipe Schenone
Awesome advice Brad, I can't think of a better solution than that, thanks!

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Felipe Schenone <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > If we migrate the content we currently have (on Meta and
> > Wikiversity) to wikijournal.org, and the project grows, and eventually
> > gets
> > accepted as a sister-project (as we hope), how will we merge the user
> > accounts? Should we not worry about it, and we'll figure it out when the
> > time comes? Or should we totally worry about it, and adopt some strategy
> > about it now? What's your advice on this issue?
>

> Note: This post is my personal view and in no way represents any official
> WMF position.
>
> My personal guess is that it would wind up being done something like how
> accounts on WikiVoyage were handled: people who used the same username on
> both WikiVoyage and Wikimedia wikis were able to merge those accounts,
> people whose usernames weren't already in use on Wikimedia wikis were able
> to claim those names, and other people had to be renamed. Or at least it
> seems that's what was done based on the plan document on mediawiki.org[1]
> and the process page on en.wikivoyage.org.[2]
>
> To reduce the number of people who would need renaming should the time
> come, you might start using an extension like OAuthAuthentication[3] to
> authenticate against Meta, and disable any further local account creations.
>
> [1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikivoyage_migration/Accounts
> [2]: https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:User_account_migration
> [3]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OAuthAuthentication

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournal project

Vi to
You can think about relying upon WMF OAuth to login to wikijournal.
Basically anyone would be able to login to wikijournal using their WMF
wikis' credentials. If you make this the sole way to login you'll end up
having an already-ready-to-merge userbase.

Vito

> Awesome advice Brad, I can't think of a better solution than that, thanks!
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:26 PM Brad Jorsch (Anomie) <
> [hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Felipe Schenone <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > If we migrate the content we currently have (on Meta and
> > > Wikiversity) to wikijournal.org, and the project grows, and eventually
> > > gets
> > > accepted as a sister-project (as we hope), how will we merge the user
> > > accounts? Should we not worry about it, and we'll figure it out when
> the
> > > time comes? Or should we totally worry about it, and adopt some
> strategy
> > > about it now? What's your advice on this issue?
> >

> > Note: This post is my personal view and in no way represents any official
> > WMF position.
> >
> > My personal guess is that it would wind up being done something like how
> > accounts on WikiVoyage were handled: people who used the same username on
> > both WikiVoyage and Wikimedia wikis were able to merge those accounts,
> > people whose usernames weren't already in use on Wikimedia wikis were
> able
> > to claim those names, and other people had to be renamed. Or at least it
> > seems that's what was done based on the plan document on mediawiki.org
> [1]
> > and the process page on en.wikivoyage.org.[2]
> >
> > To reduce the number of people who would need renaming should the time
> > come, you might start using an extension like OAuthAuthentication[3] to
> > authenticate against Meta, and disable any further local account
> creations.
> >
> > [1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikivoyage_migration/Accounts
> > [2]: https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:User_account_migration
> > [3]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OAuthAuthentication

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournal project

Peter Southwood
When Wikivoyage joined WMF as a fork from Wikitravel they had to deal with the same problem. It should be in the records somewhere. It wasn’t a big deal from memory. I had the same username on both anyway. A few people had to change when there were conflicts, and a few dropped one name as redundant.
Cheers,
Peter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournal project

Peter Southwood
That looks about right. (how it happened)
Cheers,
Peter

wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM, Felipe Schenone
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > If we migrate the content we currently have (on Meta and
> > Wikiversity) to wikijournal.org, and the project grows, and
> > eventually gets accepted as a sister-project (as we hope), how will
> > we merge the user accounts? Should we not worry about it, and we'll
> > figure it out when the time comes? Or should we totally worry about
> > it, and adopt some strategy about it now? What's your advice on this
> > issue?
>

> Note: This post is my personal view and in no way represents any
> official WMF position.
>
> My personal guess is that it would wind up being done something like
> how accounts on WikiVoyage were handled: people who used the same
> username on both WikiVoyage and Wikimedia wikis were able to merge
> those accounts, people whose usernames weren't already in use on
> Wikimedia wikis were able to claim those names, and other people had
> to be renamed. Or at least it seems that's what was done based on the
> plan document on mediawiki.org[1] and the process page on
> en.wikivoyage.org.[2]
>
> To reduce the number of people who would need renaming should the time
> come, you might start using an extension like OAuthAuthentication[3]
> to authenticate against Meta, and disable any further local account creations.
>
> [1]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikivoyage_migration/Accounts
> [2]: https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Wikivoyage:User_account_migration
> [3]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OAuthAuthentication

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournal project

Vi to
I missed your email so I wrote the same thing by mistake, sorry!

Vito