[Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

[Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

Thomas Shafee
Hello Wikipedians,

Over the last few years, the WikiJournal User Group
<https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group> has been building
and testing a set of peer reviewed academic journals on a mediawiki
platform. The main types of articles are:

   - Existing Wikipedia articles submitted for external review and feedback
   (example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjs/2018.006>)
   - From-scratch articles that, after review, are imported to Wikipedia (
   example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjm/2018.001>)
   - Original research articles that are not imported to Wikipedia (example
   <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report>
   )

*Proposal: WikiJournals as a new sister project
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiJournal>*

From a Wikipedian point of view, this is a complementary system to Featured
article review, but bridging the gap with external experts
<https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers>,
implementing established scholarly practices
<https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement>,
and generating citable, doi-linked publications
<https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Publishing>.

Please take a look and support/oppose/comment!
All the best,
Thomas Shafee

ps, We are attempting to improve awareness within the existing wikimedia
community, so feel free to share with others.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

Mister Thrapostibongles
Thomas

Is it intended that the journals should be Plan-S compliant?

Thrapostibongles

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 9:01 AM Thomas Shafee <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello Wikipedians,
>
> Over the last few years, the WikiJournal User Group
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group> has been building
> and testing a set of peer reviewed academic journals on a mediawiki
> platform. The main types of articles are:
>
>    - Existing Wikipedia articles submitted for external review and feedback
>    (example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjs/2018.006>)
>    - From-scratch articles that, after review, are imported to Wikipedia (
>    example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjm/2018.001>)
>    - Original research articles that are not imported to Wikipedia (example
>    <
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report
> >
>    )
>
> *Proposal: WikiJournals as a new sister project
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiJournal>*
>
> From a Wikipedian point of view, this is a complementary system to Featured
> article review, but bridging the gap with external experts
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers>,
> implementing established scholarly practices
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement>,
> and generating citable, doi-linked publications
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Publishing>.
>
> Please take a look and support/oppose/comment!
> All the best,
> Thomas Shafee
>
> ps, We are attempting to improve awareness within the existing wikimedia
> community, so feel free to share with others.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

jmh649
It already is Plan-S compliant :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Licensing_and_rights

Plan-S unfortunately is looking at allowing ND content.

James

On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 8:14 AM Mister Thrapostibongles <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thomas
>
> Is it intended that the journals should be Plan-S compliant?
>
> Thrapostibongles
>
> On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 9:01 AM Thomas Shafee <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello Wikipedians,
> >
> > Over the last few years, the WikiJournal User Group
> > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group> has been
> building
> > and testing a set of peer reviewed academic journals on a mediawiki
> > platform. The main types of articles are:
> >
> >    - Existing Wikipedia articles submitted for external review and
> feedback
> >    (example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjs/2018.006>)
> >    - From-scratch articles that, after review, are imported to Wikipedia
> (
> >    example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjm/2018.001>)
> >    - Original research articles that are not imported to Wikipedia
> (example
> >    <
> >
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report
> > >
> >    )
> >
> > *Proposal: WikiJournals as a new sister project
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiJournal>*
> >
> > From a Wikipedian point of view, this is a complementary system to
> Featured
> > article review, but bridging the gap with external experts
> > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers>,
> > implementing established scholarly practices
> > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement
> >,
> > and generating citable, doi-linked publications
> > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Publishing>.
> >
> > Please take a look and support/oppose/comment!
> > All the best,
> > Thomas Shafee
> >
> > ps, We are attempting to improve awareness within the existing wikimedia
> > community, so feel free to share with others.

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

Mister Thrapostibongles
James

It already is Plan-S compliant :-)

Unfortunately Plan-S requires rather more than a conformant licence.  It
also imposes strict conditions on business models and editorial practices,
not all of which have yet been completely finalised: see
https://www.coalition-s.org/rationale-for-the-revisions/ for example.

The best the WikiJournals project can realistically do right now to is
announce an intention to conform.  So my question remains: does the project
intend to become and remain Plan-S compliant?  It seems odd that this is
not considered to be, and publicised as, a major goal of the project, as
non-conformance will be a major setback.

Thrapostibongles

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

Thomas Townsend
What is the objection in principle to ND licencing?  If you publish a paper
detailing your experiments on apricot kernels as a cure for cancer with a
conclusion that they are completely worthless, and give it a BY licence, I
can now "remix" it, that is publish exactly the same material, except with
a new conclusion that apricot kernels are a complete cure for cancer,
provided that I attribute it to you.  Is that what you want, in any sense
at all?

The Turnip

On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 19:55, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It already is Plan-S compliant :-)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Licensing_and_rights
>
> Plan-S unfortunately is looking at allowing ND content.
>
> James
>
> On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 8:14 AM Mister Thrapostibongles <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thomas
> >
> > Is it intended that the journals should be Plan-S compliant?
> >
> > Thrapostibongles
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 9:01 AM Thomas Shafee <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Wikipedians,
> > >
> > > Over the last few years, the WikiJournal User Group
> > > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group> has been
> > building
> > > and testing a set of peer reviewed academic journals on a mediawiki
> > > platform. The main types of articles are:
> > >
> > >    - Existing Wikipedia articles submitted for external review and
> > feedback
> > >    (example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjs/2018.006>)
> > >    - From-scratch articles that, after review, are imported to
> Wikipedia
> > (
> > >    example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjm/2018.001>)
> > >    - Original research articles that are not imported to Wikipedia
> > (example
> > >    <
> > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report
> > > >
> > >    )
> > >
> > > *Proposal: WikiJournals as a new sister project
> > > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiJournal>*
> > >
> > > From a Wikipedian point of view, this is a complementary system to
> > Featured
> > > article review, but bridging the gap with external experts
> > > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> >,
> > > implementing established scholarly practices
> > > <
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement
> > >,
> > > and generating citable, doi-linked publications
> > > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Publishing>.
> > >
> > > Please take a look and support/oppose/comment!
> > > All the best,
> > > Thomas Shafee
> > >
> > > ps, We are attempting to improve awareness within the existing
> wikimedia
> > > community, so feel free to share with others.

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

Thomas Shafee
Yes, we put together a little checklist back in round one (*link*
<https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria>
).

Initially there were a few items that are currently not achieved (e.g.
JATS-compliant XML formatting). The revised Plan_S has reduced stringency
and all the items that weren't hit happen to be optional. That being said,
things like JATS-compliant XML and citation metadata would be valuable to
implement anyway for machine readability.

Thomas

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 04:53, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It already is Plan-S compliant :-)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Licensing_and_rights
>
> Plan-S unfortunately is looking at allowing ND content.
>
> James
>
> On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 8:14 AM Mister Thrapostibongles <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thomas
> >
> > Is it intended that the journals should be Plan-S compliant?
> >
> > Thrapostibongles
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 9:01 AM Thomas Shafee <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Wikipedians,
> > >
> > > Over the last few years, the WikiJournal User Group
> > > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group> has been
> > building
> > > and testing a set of peer reviewed academic journals on a mediawiki
> > > platform. The main types of articles are:
> > >
> > >    - Existing Wikipedia articles submitted for external review and
> > feedback
> > >    (example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjs/2018.006>)
> > >    - From-scratch articles that, after review, are imported to
> Wikipedia
> > (
> > >    example <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjm/2018.001>)
> > >    - Original research articles that are not imported to Wikipedia
> > (example
> > >    <
> > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report
> > > >
> > >    )
> > >
> > > *Proposal: WikiJournals as a new sister project
> > > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiJournal>*
> > >
> > > From a Wikipedian point of view, this is a complementary system to
> > Featured
> > > article review, but bridging the gap with external experts
> > > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> >,
> > > implementing established scholarly practices
> > > <
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement
> > >,
> > > and generating citable, doi-linked publications
> > > <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Publishing>.
> > >
> > > Please take a look and support/oppose/comment!
> > > All the best,
> > > Thomas Shafee
> > >
> > > ps, We are attempting to improve awareness within the existing
> wikimedia
> > > community, so feel free to share with others.

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

John Erling Blad
How do you handle lock down of articles? That is only listed authors should
write a given article, so you can't allow random user edit access as it is
today.

Jeblad

man. 3. jun. 2019, 04.16 skrev Thomas Shafee <[hidden email]>:

> Yes, we put together a little checklist back in round one (*link*
> <
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria
> >
> ).
>
> Initially there were a few items that are currently not achieved (e.g.
> JATS-compliant XML formatting). The revised Plan_S has reduced stringency
> and all the items that weren't hit happen to be optional. That being said,
> things like JATS-compliant XML and citation metadata would be valuable to
> implement anyway for machine readability.
>
> Thomas
>
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 04:53, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It already is Plan-S compliant :-)
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Licensing_and_rights
> >
> > Plan-S unfortunately is looking at allowing ND content.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 8:14 AM Mister Thrapostibongles <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Thomas
> > >
> > > Is it intended that the journals should be Plan-S compliant?
> > >
> > > Thrapostibongles

> > > building

> > > feedback
> > Wikipedia
> > > (
> > > (example
> > > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> > > Featured
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > >,
> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement

> > wikimedia

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

Vi to
In years I've seen countless attempts to put gibberish on our projects
which were eventually defeated by the "no original research"  principle.
Even en.wikiversity struggled with a now banned user (and his
friends/enablers) pushing lots of gibberish about cold fusion, paranormal
and Wikimedia user themselves. So I ask, what will prevent this kind of
gibberish from slowing infiltrating such project?

Don't get me wrong but I think this is the first question in order to
define a "business model" for the project: why would a "serious" research
group choose to publish there instead of already existing OA journals or
classical PR journals?

Vito

Il giorno lun 3 giu 2019 alle ore 04:16 Thomas Shafee <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Yes, we put together a little checklist back in round one (*link*
> <
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria
> >
> ).
>
> Initially there were a few items that are currently not achieved (e.g.
> JATS-compliant XML formatting). The revised Plan_S has reduced stringency
> and all the items that weren't hit happen to be optional. That being said,
> things like JATS-compliant XML and citation metadata would be valuable to
> implement anyway for machine readability.
>
> Thomas
>
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 04:53, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It already is Plan-S compliant :-)
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Licensing_and_rights
> >
> > Plan-S unfortunately is looking at allowing ND content.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 8:14 AM Mister Thrapostibongles <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Thomas
> > >
> > > Is it intended that the journals should be Plan-S compliant?
> > >
> > > Thrapostibongles

> > > building

> > > feedback
> > Wikipedia
> > > (
> > > (example
> > > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> > > Featured
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > >,
> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement

> > wikimedia

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

Thomas Shafee
So at the moment, there is no locking of any sort. However, but it's noted
that once an article is assigned a doi, that meaning-changing edits would
be re-reviewed and an updated doi minted by from crossref's crossmark
service <https://www.crossref.org/services/crossmark/> along the lines of this
article <https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.13060.1>. Copyedits and
formatting are always fine though. So far, the vast majority of editing has
occurred before the doi assignment, and articles integrated into Wikipedia
have a note in the top right to let people know that they can more
logically be edited there (example
<https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Science/RIG-I_like_receptors>
).

Thomas

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 14:18, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How do you handle lock down of articles? That is only listed authors should
> write a given article, so you can't allow random user edit access as it is
> today.
>
> Jeblad
>
> man. 3. jun. 2019, 04.16 skrev Thomas Shafee <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Yes, we put together a little checklist back in round one (*link*
> > <
> >
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria
> > >
> > ).
> >
> > Initially there were a few items that are currently not achieved (e.g.
> > JATS-compliant XML formatting). The revised Plan_S has reduced stringency
> > and all the items that weren't hit happen to be optional. That being
> said,
> > things like JATS-compliant XML and citation metadata would be valuable to
> > implement anyway for machine readability.
> >
> > Thomas
> >
> > On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 04:53, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > It already is Plan-S compliant :-)
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Licensing_and_rights
> > >
> > > Plan-S unfortunately is looking at allowing ND content.
> > >
> > > James

> [hidden email]>

> > > Wikipedia
> > > > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > >
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement
> >.

> > > wikimedia
> > >

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

jmh649
The peer review process and the editors of the journals in question. This
is the same mechanism that prevents gibberish from getting into all peer
reviewed literature.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 6:30 AM Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In years I've seen countless attempts to put gibberish on our projects
> which were eventually defeated by the "no original research"  principle.
> Even en.wikiversity struggled with a now banned user (and his
> friends/enablers) pushing lots of gibberish about cold fusion, paranormal
> and Wikimedia user themselves. So I ask, what will prevent this kind of
> gibberish from slowing infiltrating such project?
>
> Don't get me wrong but I think this is the first question in order to
> define a "business model" for the project: why would a "serious" research
> group choose to publish there instead of already existing OA journals or
> classical PR journals?
>
> Vito
>
> Il giorno lun 3 giu 2019 alle ore 04:16 Thomas Shafee <
> [hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> > Yes, we put together a little checklist back in round one (*link*
> > <
> >
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria
> > >
> > ).
> >
> > Initially there were a few items that are currently not achieved (e.g.
> > JATS-compliant XML formatting). The revised Plan_S has reduced stringency
> > and all the items that weren't hit happen to be optional. That being
> said,
> > things like JATS-compliant XML and citation metadata would be valuable to
> > implement anyway for machine readability.
> >
> > Thomas
> >
> > On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 04:53, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > It already is Plan-S compliant :-)
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Licensing_and_rights
> > >
> > > Plan-S unfortunately is looking at allowing ND content.
> > >
> > > James

> [hidden email]>

> > > Wikipedia
> > > > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > >
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement
> >.

> > > wikimedia
> > >

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

John Erling Blad
One reason; reach. At nowiki we vere approached some years ago by a
university about publishing cutting edge research in fish farming. We
could not publish their work because some claimed it to be "original
research". Sure it was, and it was darn good original research too. I
don't think that was a single occurence, other communities has
probably had similar questions.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 2:29 PM Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In years I've seen countless attempts to put gibberish on our projects
> which were eventually defeated by the "no original research"  principle.
> Even en.wikiversity struggled with a now banned user (and his
> friends/enablers) pushing lots of gibberish about cold fusion, paranormal
> and Wikimedia user themselves. So I ask, what will prevent this kind of
> gibberish from slowing infiltrating such project?
>
> Don't get me wrong but I think this is the first question in order to
> define a "business model" for the project: why would a "serious" research
> group choose to publish there instead of already existing OA journals or
> classical PR journals?
>
> Vito
>
> Il giorno lun 3 giu 2019 alle ore 04:16 Thomas Shafee <
> [hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> > Yes, we put together a little checklist back in round one (*link*
> > <
> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria
> > >
> > ).
> >
> > Initially there were a few items that are currently not achieved (e.g.
> > JATS-compliant XML formatting). The revised Plan_S has reduced stringency
> > and all the items that weren't hit happen to be optional. That being said,
> > things like JATS-compliant XML and citation metadata would be valuable to
> > implement anyway for machine readability.
> >
> > Thomas
> >
> > On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 04:53, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > It already is Plan-S compliant :-)
> > >
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plan_S#Licensing_and_rights
> > >
> > > Plan-S unfortunately is looking at allowing ND content.
> > >
> > > James

> > > Wikipedia
> > > > >

> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement

> > > wikimedia
> > >

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

John Erling Blad
Ok. Works might not be accepted if people outside a well-defined group
contributes to the work.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 3:50 PM Thomas Shafee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So at the moment, there is no locking of any sort. However, but it's noted
> that once an article is assigned a doi, that meaning-changing edits would
> be re-reviewed and an updated doi minted by from crossref's crossmark
> service <https://www.crossref.org/services/crossmark/> along the lines of this
> article <https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.13060.1>. Copyedits and
> formatting are always fine though. So far, the vast majority of editing has
> occurred before the doi assignment, and articles integrated into Wikipedia
> have a note in the top right to let people know that they can more
> logically be edited there (example
> <https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Science/RIG-I_like_receptors>
> ).
>
> Thomas
>
> On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 14:18, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > How do you handle lock down of articles? That is only listed authors should
> > write a given article, so you can't allow random user edit access as it is
> > today.
> >
> > Jeblad
> >
> > man. 3. jun. 2019, 04.16 skrev Thomas Shafee <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > > Yes, we put together a little checklist back in round one (*link*
> > > <
> > >
> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria
> > > >
> > > ).
> > >
> > > Initially there were a few items that are currently not achieved (e.g.
> > > JATS-compliant XML formatting). The revised Plan_S has reduced stringency
> > > and all the items that weren't hit happen to be optional. That being
> > said,
> > > things like JATS-compliant XML and citation metadata would be valuable to
> > > implement anyway for machine readability.
> > >
> > > Thomas

> > [hidden email]>

> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> > > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > > >
> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement
> > >.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

John Erling Blad
Do editing in a non-indexed draft space and then move the articles
into an indexed mainspace after passing peer review.

I guess a "WikiJournal" should be CC-ND by default. Authors should be
able to relax the license. If others are allowed to edit then the
license should be forced to CC-by-SA.

Authors should be explicitly listed, and if authors allow other to
edit, then they must explicitly say so. A "front matter" like in
Jekyll should be sufficient for declaring the authors.

There must also be a process for verifying the identity for authors.
That can be really fun! And btw, Mediawiki has a field for real names,
but lacks methods for verifying those names.

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 4:36 PM James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The peer review process and the editors of the journals in question. This
> is the same mechanism that prevents gibberish from getting into all peer
> reviewed literature.

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 6:30 AM Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In years I've seen countless attempts to put gibberish on our projects
> > which were eventually defeated by the "no original research"  principle.
> > Even en.wikiversity struggled with a now banned user (and his
> > friends/enablers) pushing lots of gibberish about cold fusion, paranormal
> > and Wikimedia user themselves. So I ask, what will prevent this kind of
> > gibberish from slowing infiltrating such project?
> >
> > Don't get me wrong but I think this is the first question in order to
> > define a "business model" for the project: why would a "serious" research
> > group choose to publish there instead of already existing OA journals or
> > classical PR journals?
> >
> > Vito
> >
> > Il giorno lun 3 giu 2019 alle ore 04:16 Thomas Shafee <
> > [hidden email]> ha scritto:
> >
> > > Yes, we put together a little checklist back in round one (*link*
> > > <
> > >
> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria
> > > >
> > > ).
> > >
> > > Initially there were a few items that are currently not achieved (e.g.
> > > JATS-compliant XML formatting). The revised Plan_S has reduced stringency
> > > and all the items that weren't hit happen to be optional. That being
> > said,
> > > things like JATS-compliant XML and citation metadata would be valuable to
> > > implement anyway for machine readability.
> > >
> > > Thomas

> > [hidden email]>

> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> > > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > > >
> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement
> > >.

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

Vi to
En.wikiversity user I'm dealing with was a custodian (in other words a well
established user within the community).

Keeping it short my main concern is: we are a naturally democratic
community, while the science cannot be. Also, we've been attracting low
quality "research" for years.

Vito

Il giorno lun 3 giu 2019 alle ore 16:36 James Heilman <[hidden email]> ha
scritto:

> The peer review process and the editors of the journals in question. This
> is the same mechanism that prevents gibberish from getting into all peer
> reviewed literature.

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 6:30 AM Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > In years I've seen countless attempts to put gibberish on our projects
> > which were eventually defeated by the "no original research"  principle.
> > Even en.wikiversity struggled with a now banned user (and his
> > friends/enablers) pushing lots of gibberish about cold fusion, paranormal
> > and Wikimedia user themselves. So I ask, what will prevent this kind of
> > gibberish from slowing infiltrating such project?
> >
> > Don't get me wrong but I think this is the first question in order to
> > define a "business model" for the project: why would a "serious" research
> > group choose to publish there instead of already existing OA journals or
> > classical PR journals?
> >
> > Vito
> >
> > Il giorno lun 3 giu 2019 alle ore 04:16 Thomas Shafee <
> > [hidden email]> ha scritto:
> >
> > > Yes, we put together a little checklist back in round one (*link*
> > > <
> > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria
> > > >
> > > ).
> > >
> > > Initially there were a few items that are currently not achieved (e.g.
> > > JATS-compliant XML formatting). The revised Plan_S has reduced
> stringency
> > > and all the items that weren't hit happen to be optional. That being
> > said,
> > > things like JATS-compliant XML and citation metadata would be valuable
> > > implement anyway for machine readability.
> > >
> > > Thomas

> > [hidden email]>

> been
> mediawiki

> and
> Wikipedia
> > > > > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> > > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > > >
> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement
> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Publishing
> > >.

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

jmh649
Wiki Journals use CC BY SA. We do not support or want to us ND as that
would prevent translation into other languages. That is why I disagree with
Plan S's move to allow ND.

James

On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 9:08 AM Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:

> En.wikiversity user I'm dealing with was a custodian (in other words a well
> established user within the community).
>
> Keeping it short my main concern is: we are a naturally democratic
> community, while the science cannot be. Also, we've been attracting low
> quality "research" for years.
>
> Vito
>
> Il giorno lun 3 giu 2019 alle ore 16:36 James Heilman <[hidden email]>
> ha
> scritto:
>
> > The peer review process and the editors of the journals in question. This
> > is the same mechanism that prevents gibberish from getting into all peer
> > reviewed literature.

> > On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 6:30 AM Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > In years I've seen countless attempts to put gibberish on our projects
> > > which were eventually defeated by the "no original research"
> principle.
> > > Even en.wikiversity struggled with a now banned user (and his
> > > friends/enablers) pushing lots of gibberish about cold fusion,
> paranormal
> > > and Wikimedia user themselves. So I ask, what will prevent this kind of
> > > gibberish from slowing infiltrating such project?
> > >
> > > Don't get me wrong but I think this is the first question in order to
> > > define a "business model" for the project: why would a "serious"
> research
> > > group choose to publish there instead of already existing OA journals
> or
> > > classical PR journals?
> > >
> > > Vito

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria

> (e.g.
> > stringency
> > > said,
> valuable

> > > [hidden email]>

> > been
> > mediawiki

> > and
> > Wikipedia
> > > > > > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > > > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement
> > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Publishing

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

jmh649
But to clarify, the intent is to be Plan-S compliant from what I understand.

James

--
James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

John Erling Blad
How often do you expect a scientific article to be translated?

On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 18:46, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wiki Journals use CC BY SA. We do not support or want to us ND as that
> would prevent translation into other languages. That is why I disagree with
> Plan S's move to allow ND.

So part of the offer is that an author's article may be translated into
other languages without the original author having any say in the process?
 Surely you would not permit your own articles to be republished in another
language with your name still on them and your having no control over what
the translation says in your name?

The Turnip

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

Thomas Shafee

*Quality control*
There are a few mechanisms in place for quality control:

   - Standard academic processes of external peer reviews which for
   wikijournals are all public (journals such as PLOS are moving in the same
   direction)
   - Accountability to the academic community - indexing by cope
   <https://publicationethics.org/misconduct>, doaj <https://doaj.org>,
   pubmed <https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/>, scopus
   <https://www.scopus.com/search/form.uri?display=basic>, web of science
   <https://clarivate.com/products/web-of-science/>, free journal network
   <https://freejournals.org> etc all require *extensive *external auditing
   of processes. Each journal has to apply for these individually and they are
   challenging to gain and retain.
   - Accountability and transparency to the wider community - unlike other
   academic publishing houses, we try to get feedback on ideas, votes and
   governance (which could be much greater with more exposure to the academic
   community)

*Why would an academic choose a WikiJournal*

   1. Most OA journals charge $2000-3000 per publication.
   2. Idealistic academics may value it for its adherence to the ideals of
   the wikimedia movement (public focussed, more democratic than most journals)
   3. Cynical academics may be drawn by the likely high impact that the
   journal will likely get form publishing a lot of broad review articles and
   the exposure of those through wikipedia
   4. Multiple 'unique selling points' from being integrated with wikimedia
   to give further impact:
      - Obviously, broad review articles are also integrated into Wikipedia
      so vastly wider read than typical journal reviews
      - Image-based article can have their figures added to commons
(e.g.*10.15347/wjm/2017.008
      <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjm/2017.008>*)
      - It could be a way to peer review parts of wikidata (e.g. whether
      the Drug interactions (P769) property set is up to date, and what
      references should support any additions)
      - possible integration of some articles into wikiversity taught
      courses (e.g. this teaching case study *10.15347/wjm/2017.006
      <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjm/2017.006>*)
   5. Indirectly, I also hope it can act as a gateway drug to get more
   experts wanting to engage in the other projects. Because it accepts
   submissions straight out of wikipedia, it might also increase the incentive
   for an academic to contribute to wp if they can later submitting it to wj.

*Democracy*
So far the only inherently undemocratic part of the project has been the
strict requirements on the peer reviewers.
Conversely, authors have included professors, students, and people
completely unaffiliated with any university. Editorial board composition
ranges from the academics you'd expect to see, but also science
communicators, science librarians and experienced wikimedians which are
uncommon in other journals.
The indexed draft areas (currently called WikiJournal Preprints
<https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_Preprints>) will be a
free-for-all. Currently we have no exclusion criteria other than the
standard Wikimedia copyvio/slander/etc. If there become problems we might
need editors to keep an eye on them like ArXiv does, but I hope to keep it
light-touch.

*Plan S*
The journals definitely intend to be Plan_S compliant. I'll raise the idea
of putting out some statement of intention over at the project. Plan_S will
likely have a large direct impact in Europe and the US, and likely far
wider-reaching indirect ripple effects across all of academic publishing.

*Translation*
So far there has been little translation of articles. This is possibly
because the project started in English, which is especially dominant as a
lingua franca in scholarly publishing. However, there have been a few
proposals for translation that have been raised:

   - Translation of whole articles if they are thought by the community to
   be particularly useful (e.g. *Teladorsagia circumcincta *is one of the
   most important agricultural parasites*10.15347/wjs/2019.004
   <https://doi.org/10.15347/wjs/2019.004>* yet is almost completely absent
   from wikimedia <https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q7695599>)
   - Translation of many/all abstracts into multiple languages

Thank you for the the really interesting discussions, ideas and feedback so
far!
Thomas

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019 at 04:07, John Erling Blad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How often do you expect a scientific article to be translated?
>
> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 7:46 PM James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Wiki Journals use CC BY SA. We do not support or want to us ND as that
> > would prevent translation into other languages. That is why I disagree
> with
> > Plan S's move to allow ND.
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 9:08 AM Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > En.wikiversity user I'm dealing with was a custodian (in other words a
> well
> > > established user within the community).
> > >
> > > Keeping it short my main concern is: we are a naturally democratic
> > > community, while the science cannot be. Also, we've been attracting low
> > > quality "research" for years.
> > >
> > > Vito
> > >
> > > Il giorno lun 3 giu 2019 alle ore 16:36 James Heilman <
> [hidden email]>
> > > ha

> This
> peer

> projects
> > > principle.
> > > paranormal
> kind of

> > > research
> journals
> > > or

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Talk:WikiJournal_User_Group#Notes_on_Plan_S_compliance_criteria

> > > (e.g.
> being
> > > valuable

> has

> review
> imported to
> > > > > > > > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_of_Medicine/Acute_gastrointestinal_bleeding_from_a_chronic_cause:_a_teaching_case_report

> system
> > > > > >
> > > https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Peer_reviewers
> > > > > > >

> https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/WikiJournal_User_Group/Ethics_statement

> existing

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiJournals: A proposal to become a new sister project

jmh649
When we publish CC BY SA on Wikipedia, we allow translation into other
languages without having any control over the translations (but we require
our name to be attached in some fashion). So right now we do all the time.
Most of my academic publications are CC BY which is even more permissive.

James

On Tue, Jun 4, 2019 at 7:27 PM Thomas Townsend <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jun 2019 at 18:46, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Wiki Journals use CC BY SA. We do not support or want to us ND as that
> > would prevent translation into other languages. That is why I disagree
> with
> > Plan S's move to allow ND.
> >

> So part of the offer is that an author's article may be translated into
> other languages without the original author having any say in the process?
>  Surely you would not permit your own articles to be republished in another
> language with your name still on them and your having no control over what
> the translation says in your name?
>
> The Turnip

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian