[Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Victor Grigas
Hello everyone,

My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise funds to
buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids in
places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.

The campaign is here:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids

The video is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07ROeiaFg0

Please consider funding the campaign and if you can't fund the campaign,
please share the link with others!

While I am an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, I am doing this
entirely as a volunteer.

Thanks!

--

*Victor Grigas*
Storyteller <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knv6D6Thi0>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Manuel Schneider-3
Great initiative. Actually the first time I donated real money to a
Wikimedia project... sort of.

/Manuel

Am 05.05.2013 06:27, schrieb Victor Grigas:

> My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise funds to
> buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids in
> places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.
>
> The campaign is here:
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids
>
> The video is here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07ROeiaFg0
>
> Please consider funding the campaign and if you can't fund the campaign,
> please share the link with others!
>
> While I am an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, I am doing this
> entirely as a volunteer.

Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Oliver Keyes-4
This is totally awesome!

On 5 May 2013 09:46, Manuel Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great initiative. Actually the first time I donated real money to a
> Wikimedia project... sort of.
>
> /Manuel
>
> Am 05.05.2013 06:27, schrieb Victor Grigas:
> > My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise funds
> > buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids in
> > places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.
> >
> > The campaign is here:
> > http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids
> >
> > The video is here:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07ROeiaFg0
> >
> > Please consider funding the campaign and if you can't fund the campaign,
> > please share the link with others!
> >
> > While I am an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, I am doing this
> > entirely as a volunteer.
>
> --
> Wikimedia CH - Verein zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Oliver Keyes
Community Liaison, Product Development

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-3
That is a cool project. Congrats, Victor.

I've a wikireader with me someone gave a few years ago. Have someone tried
to install a Wikipedia of another language? I will try <
http://dev.thewikireader.com/language-packs/> sometime soon (alguém da WMBR
com mais tempo, se quiser, fale comigo).

What about using their software <http://thewikireader.com/> on Linux? If
you were successfull with that, please, let me know. Their apps are just
for Windows and Mac stuff.

I'll check if'd possible to have these machines sold somehow in South
America. Ideas? At least we still don't have at our recent Amazon <
http://www.amazon.com.br/> site.

Maybe it would be good to suggest wikireader producers to have the hardware
source open as well, if that don't make they go bankrupt. Who knows we
could produce locally.

Tom

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Victor Grigas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise funds to
> buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids in
> places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.
>
> The campaign is here:
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids
>
> The video is here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07ROeiaFg0
>
> Please consider funding the campaign and if you can't fund the campaign,
> please share the link with others!
>
> While I am an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, I am doing this
> entirely as a volunteer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> *Victor Grigas*
> Storyteller <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knv6D6Thi0>
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> +1 (415) 839-6885 x 6773
> 149 New Montgomery Street 6th floor
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful
than a life spent doing nothing."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Abbas Mahmood
All the best, Victor!
Abbas.

> Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 12:46:22 -0300
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids
>
> That is a cool project. Congrats, Victor.
>
> I've a wikireader with me someone gave a few years ago. Have someone tried
> to install a Wikipedia of another language? I will try <
> http://dev.thewikireader.com/language-packs/> sometime soon (alguém da WMBR
> com mais tempo, se quiser, fale comigo).
>
> What about using their software <http://thewikireader.com/> on Linux? If
> you were successfull with that, please, let me know. Their apps are just
> for Windows and Mac stuff.
>
> I'll check if'd possible to have these machines sold somehow in South
> America. Ideas? At least we still don't have at our recent Amazon <
> http://www.amazon.com.br/> site.
>
> Maybe it would be good to suggest wikireader producers to have the hardware
> source open as well, if that don't make they go bankrupt. Who knows we
> could produce locally.
>
> Tom
>

> On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Victor Grigas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise funds to
> > buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids in
> > places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.
> >
> > The campaign is here:
> > http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids
> >
> > The video is here:
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07ROeiaFg0
> >
> > Please consider funding the campaign and if you can't fund the campaign,
> > please share the link with others!
> >
> > While I am an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, I am doing this
> > entirely as a volunteer.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> >
> > *Victor Grigas*
> > Storyteller <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knv6D6Thi0>
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > [hidden email]
> > +1 (415) 839-6885 x 6773
> > 149 New Montgomery Street 6th floor
> > San Francisco, CA 94105
> > https://donate.wikimedia.org/

> Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful
> than a life spent doing nothing."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Oona Castro
Hi Victor,
hope you're well.

I found the campaign awsome and will be donating some money.
I was wondering whether that would be nice to donate some of them to the
global south, though import taxes might be an issue, as well as the fact
that it comes with the English Wikipedia and downloading other languages is
not that intuitive, though it's possible.

Perhaps we could do the work of dowloading different languages and make a
contest to give them to a few here in Brazil, in India, Argentina, Egypt,
elsewhere?

The other thing I though of was: I recently was gifted by Henrique with one
of those and in Amazon it's being sold by less than 10 dollars. So I think
you may get a good bargain for less than US$ 25 if you talk through it.

let me know what you think

Best regards

Oona

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Abbas Mahmood <[hidden email]> wrote:

> All the best, Victor!
> Abbas.
>
> > Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 12:46:22 -0300
> > From: [hidden email]
> > To: [hidden email]
> > CC: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids
> >
> > That is a cool project. Congrats, Victor.
> >
> > I've a wikireader with me someone gave a few years ago. Have someone
> tried
> > to install a Wikipedia of another language? I will try <
> > http://dev.thewikireader.com/language-packs/> sometime soon (alguém da
> WMBR
> > com mais tempo, se quiser, fale comigo).
> >
> > What about using their software <http://thewikireader.com/> on Linux? If
> > you were successfull with that, please, let me know. Their apps are just
> > for Windows and Mac stuff.
> >
> > I'll check if'd possible to have these machines sold somehow in South
> > America. Ideas? At least we still don't have at our recent Amazon <
> > http://www.amazon.com.br/> site.
> >
> > Maybe it would be good to suggest wikireader producers to have the
> hardware
> > source open as well, if that don't make they go bankrupt. Who knows we
> > could produce locally.
> >
> > Tom
> >

> > On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM, Victor Grigas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello everyone,
> > >
> > > My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise
> funds to
> > > buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids
> in
> > > places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.
> > >
> > > The campaign is here:
> > >
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids
> > >
> > > The video is here:
> > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07ROeiaFg0
> > >
> > > Please consider funding the campaign and if you can't fund the
> campaign,
> > > please share the link with others!
> > >
> > > While I am an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, I am doing this
> > > entirely as a volunteer.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > *Victor Grigas*
> > > Storyteller <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knv6D6Thi0>
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > [hidden email]
> > > +1 (415) 839-6885 x 6773
> > > 149 New Montgomery Street 6th floor
> > > San Francisco, CA 94105
> > > https://donate.wikimedia.org/

> > Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> > "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful
> > than a life spent doing nothing."

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

rupert THURNER-2
hehehe, victor, you are cool. because its a private initiative you use
your wikimedia mail account to advertise for it, in the video you make
sure that everybody konws you work for wikimedia foundation? the price
you give is interesting as well. on your money collection page you
write the devices cost 25 usd. on amazon they sell it for 9 usd. the
original price 5 years ago was 99 usd, where one could have a 29 usd
subscription to get the contents updated.

i do not have a problem with all of this. i like your work you do, i
like the enthusiasm, i like that you guys do this voluntary. and i
especially like that you are able to think big.

but what really stroke me: you say you would not buy it. if you would
not buy it, what makes you so sure that it will be of use for somebody
else? for children who like to see pictures? probably not. for adults
who will have smartphones in 2 years time? probably not as well.

you might be interested in reading the report of the united nations
environment program coming out of the "E-Waste Africa Project":
http://www.basel.int/Implementation/TechnicalAssistance/EWaste/EwasteAfricaProject/tabid/2546/Default.aspx?overlayId=ArtId-468

"Africa has been undergoing rapid ICT transformation in recent years,
attempting to bridge this divide by importing second-hand or used
computers, mobile phones, and TVsets from developed countries. The
countries of the region, however, lack the infrastructure and
resources for the environmentally sound management (ESM) of electrical
and electronic waste (e-waste) arising when such imports reach their
end-of-life."

rupert.

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 6:27 AM, Victor Grigas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise funds to
> buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids in
> places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.
>
> The campaign is here:
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids
>
> The video is here:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07ROeiaFg0
>
> Please consider funding the campaign and if you can't fund the campaign,
> please share the link with others!
>
> While I am an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, I am doing this
> entirely as a volunteer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
>
> *Victor Grigas*
> Storyteller <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knv6D6Thi0>
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> +1 (415) 839-6885 x 6773
> 149 New Montgomery Street 6th floor
> San Francisco, CA 94105
> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

[Wikimedia-l] And content - Re: WikiReaders4Kids

Mathias Damour

How should be token into consideration the low readability of Wikipedia,
which was pointed out by some recent studies, as far as this device is
devoted to children ?
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/11/29/wikimedia-research-newsletter-november-2012/#Readability_of_the_English_Wikipedia.2C_Simple_Wikipedia.2C_and_Britannica_compared

There is Simple English Wikipedia as far as English is concerned. For
other language, there is the *Wikikids* proposal that has had some
activity recently and 2 or 3 existing and well running wiki for children.
That's about setting a frame pulled after the existing wikis for kids,
to make good work, associate potential editors (including children), and
then (notably ;-)) to supply a WikiReaders4Kids with suitable and
quality content a few years later !
Present step is to assemble a comparison between those existing wikis to
help to work out what should be the basic principles for such a project.
Have a look at it !
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikids

--
Mathias Damour
49 rue Carnot

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Victor Grigas
Hi everyone -

Ok a few things that people have brought up here and elsewhere:

1 - the manufacturer has said to us that the devices can come pre-installed
with whatever languages are already available :
http://dev.thewikireader.com/language-packs/ and that he would help with
other language versions (from our dumps)  if we communicated a need for it.
I mentioned this specifically: http://schools-wikipedia.org/

2 - AMAZON! - yes these are the retailers sitting on overstock, we plan to
buy whatever is cheapest first (highest impact) -- and alot of people have
supersaver shipping (user:Ashstar01 too)

3 - recycling: scroll to the bottom: http://thewikireader.com/
also the key in distribution will be to find the schools that could REALLY
USE the devices, (so that they do not go to waste) so if anyone on this
list knows schools, please share:
[hidden email]
http://wikireaders4kids.tumblr.com/suggest

4 - I hope i'm not creating any conflicts of interest by being a WMF
staffer, please know - if i do cross some line let me know and i'll correct
myself ASAP. I really mean this please contact me if you feel that there is
any COI at all.

5 - also here is the .en village pump post from a few weeks ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Village_pump_(proposals)#Free_Distribution_of_WikiReaders_to_offline_schools_around_the_world.2C_funded_by_Kickstarter.com_or_Indiegogo.com

6 - we are also looking into contacting battery manufacturers and solar
charger manufacturers to see if they would like the good press by donating
a few of their chargers & batteries to the schools that end up getting the
wikireaders.

Thanks for your interest everyone! As of me writing this, we are already at
$505 USD and I expect that alot of people are away from their computers for
the weekend and will see the campaign on Monday when they get to work.

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Oona Castro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> just
> > > for Windows and Mac stuff.
> > >
> > > I'll check if'd possible to have these machines sold somehow in South
> > > America. Ideas? At least we still don't have at our recent Amazon <
> > > http://www.amazon.com.br/> site.
> > >
> > > Maybe it would be good to suggest wikireader producers to have the
> > hardware
> > > source open as well, if that don't make they go bankrupt. Who knows we
> > > could produce locally.
> > >
> > > Tom

> > funds to
> > in

> > http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids

> > campaign,

> > > --
> > > Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
> > > "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
I somewhat wrong message volunteer Rupert. Any initiative that promotes
inclusive dissemination of knowledge should be shared and supported by the
Wikimedia movement, and even more when it is crowned with the work done by
volunteers of the Movement, in this case Wikipedia .

Moreover, it is clear that there will be costs other than the purchase of
equipment.

And a note, any staff of any institution of the Wikimedia Movement, is
also part
of the Wikimedia Movement.

Vitor, just an observation, I found completely wrong you put the
conversation in the English Wikipedia, I think you could open this
discussion on Meta, a common site throughout the Wikimedia Movement.

See you, and congratulations for the initiative.

On 5 May 2013 15:55, Victor Grigas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > global south, though import taxes might be an issue, as well as the fact
> > that it comes with the English Wikipedia and downloading other languages
> is
> > not that intuitive, though it's possible.
> >
> > Perhaps we could do the work of dowloading different languages and make a
> > contest to give them to a few here in Brazil, in India, Argentina, Egypt,
> > elsewhere?
> >
> > The other thing I though of was: I recently was gifted by Henrique with
> one
> > of those and in Amazon it's being sold by less than 10 dollars. So I
> think
> > you may get a good bargain for less than US$ 25 if you talk through it.
> >
> > let me know what you think
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Oona
> >

> > On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Abbas Mahmood <[hidden email]>

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
[hidden email]
+55 11 979 718 884

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Victor Grigas
Rodrigo - Thank you for pointing out the note about Meta.

Does someone want to start a place on meta where the community can organize
how to best get these devices where they need to go? I'd love to have some
respected organizations & interested Wikipedians helping out by the end of
the week :)

I also think that this is going to be a fun distribution thing because of
all the places the wikireaders will be coming from & going to. I think all
the amazon ones are going to get bought -- but alot of those will need to
be updated.

We are also interested in finding solar battery charger manufacturers who
would want to donate a few chargers so the wikireaders dont become bricks
when their batteries are drained.

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> the
> > > global south, though import taxes might be an issue, as well as the
> fact
> > > that it comes with the English Wikipedia and downloading other
> languages
> > is
> > > not that intuitive, though it's possible.
> > >
> > > Perhaps we could do the work of dowloading different languages and
> make a
> > > contest to give them to a few here in Brazil, in India, Argentina,
> Egypt,
> > > elsewhere?
> > >
> > > The other thing I though of was: I recently was gifted by Henrique with
> > one
> > > of those and in Amazon it's being sold by less than 10 dollars. So I
> > think
> > > you may get a good bargain for less than US$ 25 if you talk through it.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] And content - Re: WikiReaders4Kids

Victor Grigas
Mathias -

This: http://schools-wikipedia.org/

is something I think would be a great option for english-speaking students,
if we can get it on the Wikireaders

Also I think I need to be clear about a possible language issue: In the USA
people like me often use the word 'kid' to mean anyone all the way up to
sometimes the age of 21 or 25, and can be interchanged with the word
'child' when referring to someone under the age of puberty.

Merci & pardon je ne parlais pas Francias :)

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Mathias Damour
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> How should be token into consideration the low readability of Wikipedia,
> which was pointed out by some recent studies, as far as this device is
> devoted to children ?
> https://blog.wikimedia.org/**2012/11/29/wikimedia-research-**
> newsletter-november-2012/#**Readability_of_the_English_**
> Wikipedia.2C_Simple_Wikipedia.**2C_and_Britannica_compared<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/11/29/wikimedia-research-newsletter-november-2012/#Readability_of_the_English_Wikipedia.2C_Simple_Wikipedia.2C_and_Britannica_compared>
>
> There is Simple English Wikipedia as far as English is concerned. For
> other language, there is the *Wikikids* proposal that has had some activity
> recently and 2 or 3 existing and well running wiki for children.
> That's about setting a frame pulled after the existing wikis for kids, to
> make good work, associate potential editors (including children), and then
> (notably ;-)) to supply a WikiReaders4Kids with suitable and quality
> content a few years later !
> Present step is to assemble a comparison between those existing wikis to
> help to work out what should be the basic principles for such a project.
> Have a look at it !
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/**wiki/Wikikids<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikids>
>
> Le 05/05/2013 06:27, Victor Grigas a écrit :
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise funds
>> buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids in
>> places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.
>>
>> The campaign is here:
>> http://www.indiegogo.com/**projects/help-us-distribute-**
>> wikireaders-to-kids<http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids>
>>
>> The video is here:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?**v=j07ROeiaFg0<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j07ROeiaFg0>
>>
>> Please consider funding the campaign and if you can't fund the campaign,
>> please share the link with others!
>>
>> While I am an employee of the Wikimedia Foundation, I am doing this
>> entirely as a volunteer.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> --
> Mathias Damour
> 49 rue Carnot
> F-74000 Annecy
> 00 33 (0)4 57 09 10 56
> 00 33 (0)6 27 13 65 51
> [hidden email]
> http://fr.vikidia.org/wiki/**Utilisateur:Astirmays<http://fr.vikidia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Astirmays>

*Victor Grigas*
Storyteller <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Knv6D6Thi0>
+1 (415) 839-6885 x 6773
149 New Montgomery Street 6th floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] WikiReaders4Kids

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Victor Grigas, 05/05/2013 06:27:
> My partner and I just started a campaign on Indiegogo.com to raise funds to
> buy all remaining WikiReaders and distribute them to schools and kids in
> places that don't have internet at no charge to the schools and kids.
>
> The campaign is here:
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-us-distribute-wikireaders-to-kids

Now at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Aislinn_Dewey/Distribute_WikiReaders_to_Schools>