[Wikimedia-l] Wikidata turns two!

Lydia Pintscher
Hey folks :)

Today Wikidata is turning two. It amazes me what we've achieved in
just 2 years. We've built an incredible project that is set out to
change the world. Thank you everyone who has been a part of this so
far.
We've put together some notes and opinions. And there are presents as
well! Check them out and leave your birthday wishes:
https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Second_Birthday

Cheers
Lydia

Product Manager for Wikidata

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24
10963 Berlin
www.wikimedia.de

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata-l] Birthday gift: Missing Wikipedia links (was Re: Wikidata turns two!)

James Forrester-2
On Wed Oct 29 2014 at 10:56:42 Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There’s a small tool on WMF labs that you can use to verify the links (it
> displays the articles side by side from a language pair you select, and
> then you can confirm or contradict the merge):
>
> https://tools.wmflabs.org/yichengtry

This is really fun, and so useful too. Thank you so much, Denny, Jiang
Bian, Si Li, and Yicheng Huang – "Denny and the Googlers" is a new band
name if ever there was one.

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikidata-l] Birthday gift: Missing Wikipedia links (was Re: Wikidata turns two!)

Denny Vrandečić-2
Forwarding to Wikimedia-l to five context to James' reply. Sorry for
cross-posting.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata-l] Birthday gift: Missing Wikipedia links (was Re: Wikidata turns two!)

Asaf Bartov-2
This is great, thanks!

   A.

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:10 AM, James Forrester <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed Oct 29 2014 at 10:56:42 Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> There’s a small tool on WMF labs that you can use to verify the links (it
>> displays the articles side by side from a language pair you select, and
>> then you can confirm or contradict the merge):
>>
>> https://tools.wmflabs.org/yichengtry
>>

> This is really fun, and so useful too. Thank you so much, Denny, Jiang
> Bian, Si Li, and Yicheng Huang – "Denny and the Googlers" is a new band
> name if ever there was one.

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata-l] Birthday gift: Missing Wikipedia links (was Re: Wikidata turns two!)

Santiago Navarro
Very interesting. I started use it.

El 2014-10-29 20:38, Asaf Bartov escribió:

> This is great, thanks!
>
>    A.
>
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 11:10 AM, James Forrester
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed Oct 29 2014 at 10:56:42 Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There’s a small tool on WMF labs that you can use to verify the links
>>> (it
>>> displays the articles side by side from a language pair you select,
>>> and
>>> then you can confirm or contradict the merge):
>>>
>>> https://tools.wmflabs.org/yichengtry
>>>

>> This is really fun, and so useful too. Thank you so much, Denny, Jiang
>> Bian, Si Li, and Yicheng Huang – "Denny and the Googlers" is a new
>> band
>> name if ever there was one.

Santiago Navarro Sanz
Wikimedia España
http://www.wikimedia.org.es/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata-l] Birthday gift: Missing Wikipedia links (was Re: Wikidata turns two!)

Santiago Navarro
James, I have a question. Should you merge the items or the tool will do
it?

El 2014-10-29 19:10, James Forrester escribió:

> On Wed Oct 29 2014 at 10:56:42 Denny Vrandečić <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> There’s a small tool on WMF labs that you can use to verify the links
>> (it
>> displays the articles side by side from a language pair you select,
>> and
>> then you can confirm or contradict the merge):
>>
>> https://tools.wmflabs.org/yichengtry
>>

> This is really fun, and so useful too. Thank you so much, Denny, Jiang
> Bian, Si Li, and Yicheng Huang – "Denny and the Googlers" is a new band
> name if ever there was one.

Santiago Navarro Sanz
Wikimedia España
http://www.wikimedia.org.es/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikidata-l] Birthday gift: Missing Wikipedia links (was Re: Wikidata turns two!)

Andrea Zanni-2
Hi Denny, great tool!

I really like this kind of "human computation" tools, as they are quick to
grasp and easy to perform.
The Wikidata Game from Magnus is a great example too, IMO.

I wonder: could it be hard to find a way to "count" how many merging one
accomplishes?
This would work both for an individual and to a list of usernames.

I feel it would be really good in Wikidata presentations or editathons or
outreach events:
you can let many people merge articles, and have a sort of counter
displayed which says how many are done, in real time. It's a sort of a
race/game, and it could be fun especially for young people.

I don't know, it's just an idea, but gamification kinda works :-)

Aubrey