[Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Simon Shek
Hi all,

Scholarship applications for Wikimania 2013 in Hong Kong are being accept.
The application window is one month (through 22 February).

Wikimania 2013 scholarship is an award given to an individual to enable
them to attend Wikimania in Hong Kong from 7-11 August, 2013.

Both types of scholarships will be available this year. Partial
scholarships will cover travel expenses to Wikimania, capped at 50% of the
estimated air fare from your nearest international airport according to
[[wm2013:Getting to Hong Kong]]. Full scholarships will cover round-trip
travel, dorms accommodations as arranged by the Wikimania Team, and
registration for Wikimania 2013.

Applicants will be rated on the following four dimensions:
1. Activity within Wikimedia (on-wiki and off-wiki) - 50%
2. Activity outside of Wikimedia and other free knowledge/software projects
- 15%
3. Interest in Wikimania and the Wikimedia movement - 25%
4. Fluency of English language - 10%

To learn more about Wikimania 2013 scholarships, please visit
https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships
To apply for a scholarship, you can fill out the application form here:
https://scholarship.wikimedia.hk

If you have any question, email us at [hidden email] .

Good luck!

Simon Shek
Community coordinator - Wikimania 2013 / Wikimedia Hong Kong
wikimedia.hk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Liam Wyatt
Glad to see the process is coming along :-)

Could you please clarify the purpose of one of the mandatory questions in
the form:

" Hong Kong is an international gourmet paradise. Please use less than 200
words to describe your favourite dish of food."

Is this an English-language test? Or, is this to help determine the best
catering options? Or something else?

-Liam

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

On 22 January 2013 05:03, Simon Shek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Scholarship applications for Wikimania 2013 in Hong Kong are being accept.
> The application window is one month (through 22 February).
>
> Wikimania 2013 scholarship is an award given to an individual to enable
> them to attend Wikimania in Hong Kong from 7-11 August, 2013.
>
> Both types of scholarships will be available this year. Partial
> scholarships will cover travel expenses to Wikimania, capped at 50% of the
> estimated air fare from your nearest international airport according to
> [[wm2013:Getting to Hong Kong]]. Full scholarships will cover round-trip
> travel, dorms accommodations as arranged by the Wikimania Team, and
> registration for Wikimania 2013.
>
> Applicants will be rated on the following four dimensions:
> 1. Activity within Wikimedia (on-wiki and off-wiki) - 50%
> 2. Activity outside of Wikimedia and other free knowledge/software projects
> - 15%
> 3. Interest in Wikimania and the Wikimedia movement - 25%
> 4. Fluency of English language - 10%
>
> To learn more about Wikimania 2013 scholarships, please visit
> https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships
> To apply for a scholarship, you can fill out the application form here:
> https://scholarship.wikimedia.hk
>
> If you have any question, email us at [hidden email].
>
> Good luck!
>
> Simon Shek
> Community coordinator - Wikimania 2013 / Wikimedia Hong Kong
> wikimedia.hk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Abbas Mahmood
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:47:06 +0000
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application
>

> " Hong Kong is an international gourmet paradise. Please use less than 200
> words to describe your favourite dish of food."
>
> Is this an English-language test? Or, is this to help determine the best
> catering options? Or something else?

+1 to what Liam asked. I honestly don't understand the premise of that question in the scholarship application form.
Abbas.

On Monday, 18 February 2013, Abbas Mahmood wrote:

> > From: [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> > Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:47:06 +0000
> > To: [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> > Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting
> application
> >

> > " Hong Kong is an international gourmet paradise. Please use less than
> 200
> > words to describe your favourite dish of food."
> >
> > Is this an English-language test? Or, is this to help determine the best
> > catering options? Or something else?
>
> +1 to what Liam asked. I honestly don't understand the premise of that
> question in the scholarship application form.
> Abbas.

Upon further questioning I was informed that:

"This question is referring to the selection criteria #4 "Fluency of
English language".  "

So... Apparently this is where you are expected to write something that
convinces people you have a firm grasp of English. Unfortunately, this is a
written test, not an oral test - because an oral test might be quite
useful. I know many people from my own country and other
English-native-speaking countries that are officially literate but when
asked to speak in a formal setting (or even semi-formal situation like
Wikimania) are incapable of clear enunciation, diction, grammar,
intonation, accent and speed. Certainly, they can be understood by *other*
native English speakers but they have no concept of how difficult it is for
non-native speakers to understand them.

Perhaps a mandatory class for native speakers before the conference
entitled:
"Speak English, like, more good 'n stuff for all y'all. Mmm'kay?"

--
wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Lodewijk
oh... so replying with "I will bring my own food" wasn't such a good idea
after all? ;-)

2013/2/18 Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]>

> On Monday, 18 February 2013, Abbas Mahmood wrote:
>
> > > From: [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> > > Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 11:47:06 +0000
> > > To: [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> > > Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting
> > application
> > >

> > > " Hong Kong is an international gourmet paradise. Please use less than
> > 200
> > > words to describe your favourite dish of food."
> > >
> > > Is this an English-language test? Or, is this to help determine the
> best
> > > catering options? Or something else?
> >
> > +1 to what Liam asked. I honestly don't understand the premise of that
> > question in the scholarship application form.
> > Abbas.
> >

> Upon further questioning I was informed that:
>
> "This question is referring to the selection criteria #4 "Fluency of
> English language".  "
>
> So... Apparently this is where you are expected to write something that
> convinces people you have a firm grasp of English. Unfortunately, this is a
> written test, not an oral test - because an oral test might be quite
> useful. I know many people from my own country and other
> English-native-speaking countries that are officially literate but when
> asked to speak in a formal setting (or even semi-formal situation like
> Wikimania) are incapable of clear enunciation, diction, grammar,
> intonation, accent and speed. Certainly, they can be understood by *other*
> native English speakers but they have no concept of how difficult it is for
> non-native speakers to understand them.
>
> Perhaps a mandatory class for native speakers before the conference
> entitled:
> "Speak English, like, more good 'n stuff for all y'all. Mmm'kay?"
>

> --
> wittylama.com
> Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:52:13 +0100, Lodewijk wrote:
> oh... so replying with "I will bring my own food" wasn't such a good
> idea
> after all? ;-)

I guess if you have written somewhere that you are Dutch this one
becomes redundant. Everybody knows that Dutch bring their own food
everywhere.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Liam Wyatt
Yes, I think that writing "I will bring Stroopwafels" gives you an
automatic extra 10points in the scholarship assessment ;-)

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

On 18 February 2013 21:05, Yaroslav M. Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:52:13 +0100, Lodewijk wrote:
>
>> oh... so replying with "I will bring my own food" wasn't such a good idea
>> after all? ;-)
>>

> I guess if you have written somewhere that you are Dutch this one becomes
> redundant. Everybody knows that Dutch bring their own food everywhere.
>
> Cheers
> Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Deryck Chan-2
No, because you haven't described what you're bringing :)

On the other hand, a detailed, grammatically correct description of
stroopwafels will almost certainly gain full marks for the English ability
criterion. (And perhaps a bonus for "interest in Wikimania" if you make a
good case)

On 18 February 2013 09:52, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> oh... so replying with "I will bring my own food" wasn't such a good idea
> after all? ;-)

> > > application

> than
> > > 200

> > best
> > >
> > > +1 to what Liam asked. I honestly don't understand the premise of that
> > > question in the scholarship application form.
> > > Abbas.
> > >

> > Upon further questioning I was informed that:
> >
> > "This question is referring to the selection criteria #4 "Fluency of
> > English language".  "
> >
> > So... Apparently this is where you are expected to write something that
> > convinces people you have a firm grasp of English. Unfortunately, this
> is a
> > written test, not an oral test - because an oral test might be quite
> > useful. I know many people from my own country and other
> > English-native-speaking countries that are officially literate but when
> > asked to speak in a formal setting (or even semi-formal situation like
> > Wikimania) are incapable of clear enunciation, diction, grammar,
> > intonation, accent and speed. Certainly, they can be understood by
> *other*
> > native English speakers but they have no concept of how difficult it is
> for
> > non-native speakers to understand them.
> >
> > Perhaps a mandatory class for native speakers before the conference
> > entitled:
> > "Speak English, like, more good 'n stuff for all y'all. Mmm'kay?"
> >

> > --
> > wittylama.com
> > Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Andrew Gray-3
On 18 February 2013 13:15, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> No, because you haven't described what you're bringing :)
>
> On the other hand, a detailed, grammatically correct description of
> stroopwafels will almost certainly gain full marks for the English ability
> criterion. (And perhaps a bonus for "interest in Wikimania" if you make a
> good case)

So, a new challenge: try and predict the food preferences and
prejudices of every member of the Scholarship Committee by Friday. ;-)

--
- Andrew Gray

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Karthik Nadar-2
Beware: You'll get lost in Indian
cuisine<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_cuisine>.
;)

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 8:14 PM, Andrew Gray <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On 18 February 2013 13:15, Deryck Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > No, because you haven't described what you're bringing :)
> >
> > On the other hand, a detailed, grammatically correct description of
> > stroopwafels will almost certainly gain full marks for the English
> ability
> > criterion. (And perhaps a bonus for "interest in Wikimania" if you make a
> > good case)
>
> So, a new challenge: try and predict the food preferences and
> prejudices of every member of the Scholarship Committee by Friday. ;-)
>
> --
> - Andrew Gray
>   [hidden email]

Thanks and regards,
Karthik Nadar,
Secretary, Wikimedia India Chapter.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Lodewijk
As a true Dutch, I should bring potatoes, peanut butter and hagelslag.

Lodewijk

2013/2/18 Deryck Chan <[hidden email]>

> No, because you haven't described what you're bringing :)
>
> On the other hand, a detailed, grammatically correct description of
> stroopwafels will almost certainly gain full marks for the English ability
> criterion. (And perhaps a bonus for "interest in Wikimania" if you make a
> good case)
>
> On 18 February 2013 09:52, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > oh... so replying with "I will bring my own food" wasn't such a good idea
> > after all? ;-)

> > than

> > > best

> that
> > > >

> > > Upon further questioning I was informed that:
> > >
> > > "This question is referring to the selection criteria #4 "Fluency of
> > > English language".  "
> > >
> > > So... Apparently this is where you are expected to write something that
> > > convinces people you have a firm grasp of English. Unfortunately, this
> > is a
> > > written test, not an oral test - because an oral test might be quite
> > > useful. I know many people from my own country and other
> > > English-native-speaking countries that are officially literate but when
> > > asked to speak in a formal setting (or even semi-formal situation like
> > > Wikimania) are incapable of clear enunciation, diction, grammar,
> > > intonation, accent and speed. Certainly, they can be understood by
> > *other*
> > > native English speakers but they have no concept of how difficult it is
> > for
> > > non-native speakers to understand them.
> > >
> > > Perhaps a mandatory class for native speakers before the conference
> > > entitled:
> > > "Speak English, like, more good 'n stuff for all y'all. Mmm'kay?"
> > >

> > > --
> > > wittylama.com
> > > Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

theo10011
On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>wrote:

> As a true Dutch, I should bring potatoes, peanut butter and hagelslag.

Sorry, stroopwafels is the only dutch currency we recognize! (pref. with
hagelslag)

-Theo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Lodewijk
As a true Dutch, I shouldn't even consider to share... it is only to get
through the days and survive without having to touch local cuisine...
(French and Germans will probably be able to confirm this) :P

Lodewijk

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>wrote:

> As a true Dutch, I shouldn't even consider to share... it is only to get
> through the days and survive without having to touch local cuisine...
> (French and Germans will probably be able to confirm this) :P

Now, that's just being mean!

If I had my way I would limit entrance for lodewijk from any future events
until he deposits 10 stroopwafels as entrance fees. HK team should set
their own lodewikj stroopwafel rates (LSR) for all dutch attendees, and
blame him for hoarding.

Theo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Philippe Beaudette-3
{{Support}}

___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

[hidden email]

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > As a true Dutch, I shouldn't even consider to share... it is only to get
> > through the days and survive without having to touch local cuisine...
> > (French and Germans will probably be able to confirm this) :P
> >

> Now, that's just being mean!
>
> If I had my way I would limit entrance for lodewijk from any future events
> until he deposits 10 stroopwafels as entrance fees. HK team should set
> their own lodewikj stroopwafel rates (LSR) for all dutch attendees, and
> blame him for hoarding.
>
> Theo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Le lundi 18 février 2013 à 09:16 +0000, Liam Wyatt a écrit :

> So... Apparently this is where you are expected to write something that
> convinces people you have a firm grasp of English. Unfortunately, this is a
> written test, not an oral test - because an oral test might be quite
> useful. I know many people from my own country and other
> English-native-speaking countries that are officially literate but when
> asked to speak in a formal setting (or even semi-formal situation like
> Wikimania) are incapable of clear enunciation, diction, grammar,
> intonation, accent and speed. Certainly, they can be understood by *other*
> native English speakers but they have no concept of how difficult it is for
> non-native speakers to understand them.
>
> Perhaps a mandatory class for native speakers before the conference
> entitled:
> "Speak English, like, more good 'n stuff for all y'all. Mmm'kay?"

And why not propose an "introduction to esperanto[1] and why it would be
by far a beter solution than using english in all international
conferences" ?

Seriously, there's so much time and energy spended to learn English (but
any native langage would give you problem, I suppose) as a second/third
language around the world  for such a poor result that even someone who
have no problem to write an academic text can't be understood by other
non-natives when he speaks oraly.

This would really be an interesting topic in fact. Clearly the English
language is strickly pushed by/for economical reasons, not because it's
an efficient communication tool like it's suggested in an answer by
geni[2] to "New proposal for a wiki Project!" to preserve minority
languages.

So reasons why we use English on this list is obvious for now, but
promoting a constructed international auxiliary language and aiming (as
a long term project) to make it the default language for Wikimedia
mailing lists and international meetings, to me it sounds like it would
fit with the “imagine a world in which every single human being can
freely share in the sum of all knowledge” goal.

Now I hope no one will read this message as a diatrib against English, I
think every language have is genius[3] and I don't believe there are
better or perfect language. But I do believe that for specific goals
some languages may be more or less fitted.

So please, really don't take this message as an attack against anything
or anyone, I love you all! I just hope we may better understand each
other through a communication mean more fitted to our community
diversity. :)

[1] Or any language as efficient for international communication the
community would prefer (and you know it can't be a native one).
[2] To be fair, here is the relevant quotation :
>>As language minorities mostly live in rural areas they are perfectly
>>adapted to their environment and in their linguistic world/lexicon
>>>there are more concepts and ideas than people from the cities have.
>
>English can deal with concepts ranging from the Australian outback to
>the housing projects of Detroit to CERN. Minority languages can only
>be compared logarithmically (assuming they have the concept of
>logarithms).

[3] As in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius_%28literature%29 . And by
the way, to my mind this sounds like an important point in favor of
defending language diversity, in the same time as you promote
international communication through a constructed languag.

Le lundi 18 février 2013 à 21:09 +1100, Liam Wyatt a écrit :
> Yes, I think that writing "I will bring Stroopwafels" gives you an
> automatic extra 10points in the scholarship assessment ;-)
>
> wittylama.com
> Peace, love & metadata

Goddamn[1], why do you tell that only now!

[1] Of course you should have read "le Mariage de Figaro" to understand
this subtle reference :
{{fr}} http://monsu.desiderio.free.fr/bibliotheque/goddam.html

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
sooo weird...

Just some observations, my written English is bad, it is something I have to
improve, however, my understanding, both read when listening are close to a
native, and my oral production is excellent (:P). And honestly, I will not
really use my writing ability in Wikimania or Hong Kong, but my English was
evaluated for it.

But I think the message should be "have a level of English sufficient to
follow the lectures, discussions and conversations"

And also I did not find that a good test for English, there's a maximum
limit, but there is no minimum limit. I could say: "I have a very
restricted diet because I am Jewish and vegan, so my diet is restricted to
that."

I could say, or, "I like almost everything, but I'm lactose intolerant, so
I can do much poop if I eat things with milk." Until that can be
interpreted only
as something to check if I have dietary restrictions, as in previous
questionnaires.

And one of the advantages of being Brazilian, is that many of us find it
easy to understand other Latinos, the reverse is not true, I would not find
it strange to see some lectures in Interlingua, or even, Italian or Spanish.

But as the Wikimania is itinerant, lectures in the local language could be
very interesting, and even a form of local people interact more, I
know that English
is present among the HK natives, but I do not see why not have a lectures in
Cantonese to appreciate local culture...

On 19 February 2013 01:09, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Le lundi 18 février 2013 à 21:09 +1100, Liam Wyatt a écrit :
> > Yes, I think that writing "I will bring Stroopwafels" gives you an
> > automatic extra 10points in the scholarship assessment ;-)
> >
> > wittylama.com
> > Peace, love & metadata
>
> Goddamn[1], why do you tell that only now!
>
> [1] Of course you should have read "le Mariage de Figaro" to understand
> this subtle reference :
> {{fr}} http://monsu.desiderio.free.fr/bibliotheque/goddam.html

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
[hidden email]
+55 11 97 97 18 884

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Jon Davies
Mozart, being Austrian, was more discreet?

On 19 February 2013 07:27, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> sooo weird...
>
> Just some observations, my written English is bad, it is something I have
> improve, however, my understanding, both read when listening are close to a
> native, and my oral production is excellent (:P). And honestly, I will not
> really use my writing ability in Wikimania or Hong Kong, but my English was
> evaluated for it.
>
> But I think the message should be "have a level of English sufficient to
> follow the lectures, discussions and conversations"
>
> And also I did not find that a good test for English, there's a maximum
> limit, but there is no minimum limit. I could say: "I have a very
> restricted diet because I am Jewish and vegan, so my diet is restricted to
> that."
>
> I could say, or, "I like almost everything, but I'm lactose intolerant, so
> I can do much poop if I eat things with milk." Until that can be
> interpreted only
> as something to check if I have dietary restrictions, as in previous
> questionnaires.
>
> And one of the advantages of being Brazilian, is that many of us find it
> easy to understand other Latinos, the reverse is not true, I would not find
> it strange to see some lectures in Interlingua, or even, Italian or
> Spanish.
>
> But as the Wikimania is itinerant, lectures in the local language could be
> very interesting, and even a form of local people interact more, I
> know that English
> is present among the HK natives, but I do not see why not have a lectures
> in
> Cantonese to appreciate local culture...
>

> On 19 February 2013 01:09, Mathieu Stumpf <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > Le lundi 18 février 2013 à 21:09 +1100, Liam Wyatt a écrit :
> > > Yes, I think that writing "I will bring Stroopwafels" gives you an
> > > automatic extra 10points in the scholarship assessment ;-)
> > >
> > > wittylama.com
> > > Peace, love & metadata
> >
> > Goddamn[1], why do you tell that only now!
> >
> > [1] Of course you should have read "le Mariage de Figaro" to understand
> > this subtle reference :
> > {{fr}} http://monsu.desiderio.free.fr/bibliotheque/goddam.html

> Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
> [hidden email]
> +55 11 97 97 18 884

*Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2013 scholarship now accepting application

Katie Chan
On 19/02/2013 07:27, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton wrote:

> But as the Wikimania is itinerant, lectures in the local language could be
> very interesting, and even a form of local people interact more, I
> know that English
> is present among the HK natives, but I do not see why not have a lectures in
> Cantonese to appreciate local culture...

"There will be the option for submission authors to hold their session
in either Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese) or English. We plan to set up
a separate Chinese-language track if there is enough demand for such
sessions." - <https://wikimania2013.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schedule>

     - Heinrich Heine