[Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2017

Filip Maljković
Hello everyone,

I noticed on [1] that we're a bit behind schedule when it comes to
Wikimania 2017.

The Wikimania 2017 jury call for volunteers should have gone in August,
but I don't think one was sent (or at least I missed it). September 2015
is the time when jury selection should be announced (which can hardly be
done if there was no public call for jury members), and also the bidding
is supposed to open. I see two unofficial bids so far: Bali and Perth.
The former is filled with "Lorem ipsum" text and the latter is just
plain empty.

Did we forget about Wikimania 2017? Do we still want it? Who is in
charge of this process? Is this timeline accurate (since the only edit
on that page was done by a non-WMF person; however, the process
corresponds to the one from 2014 in terms of the timeline)? Is there an
underlying problem that is causing bidding fatigue (since there are no
valid bids so far)? Is it too early to go into this process altogether
(and am I just being too dramatic)?

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2017

Cheers,
Filip Maljković

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2017

Pine W
Hi Filip,

I would recommend directing these inquiries to Ellie Young (cc'd here). I
have heard talk of process changes for future Wikimanias but have yet to
hear of final decisions, or even of a public consultation, so it may be
that the process changes are a work in progress.

Pine
On Sep 30, 2015 2:02 PM, "Filip Maljkovic" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I noticed on [1] that we're a bit behind schedule when it comes to
> Wikimania 2017.
>
> The Wikimania 2017 jury call for volunteers should have gone in August,
> but I don't think one was sent (or at least I missed it). September 2015 is
> the time when jury selection should be announced (which can hardly be done
> if there was no public call for jury members), and also the bidding is
> supposed to open. I see two unofficial bids so far: Bali and Perth. The
> former is filled with "Lorem ipsum" text and the latter is just plain empty.
>
> Did we forget about Wikimania 2017? Do we still want it? Who is in charge
> of this process? Is this timeline accurate (since the only edit on that
> page was done by a non-WMF person; however, the process corresponds to the
> one from 2014 in terms of the timeline)? Is there an underlying problem
> that is causing bidding fatigue (since there are no valid bids so far)? Is
> it too early to go into this process altogether (and am I just being too
> dramatic)?
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2017
>
> Cheers,
> Filip Maljković

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2017

Ellie Young
The Wikimania Steering Committee is in the process of discussing and making
a proposal about our changing the process of how hosts are selected for
future Wikimanias.  We will be asking for the community's input.  I didn't
update the wiki pages to reflect this.   There will be an announcement soon
about this.   We haven't forgotton about 2017!

Thanks for your patience and we expect to make an announcement in the next
few weeks.

Ellie Young
Events Manager, WMF

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 2:08 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Filip,
>
> I would recommend directing these inquiries to Ellie Young (cc'd here). I
> have heard talk of process changes for future Wikimanias but have yet to
> hear of final decisions, or even of a public consultation, so it may be
> that the process changes are a work in progress.
>
> Pine
> On Sep 30, 2015 2:02 PM, "Filip Maljkovic" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I noticed on [1] that we're a bit behind schedule when it comes to
>> Wikimania 2017.
>>
>> The Wikimania 2017 jury call for volunteers should have gone in August,
>> but I don't think one was sent (or at least I missed it). September 2015 is
>> the time when jury selection should be announced (which can hardly be done
>> if there was no public call for jury members), and also the bidding is
>> supposed to open. I see two unofficial bids so far: Bali and Perth. The
>> former is filled with "Lorem ipsum" text and the latter is just plain empty.
>>
>> Did we forget about Wikimania 2017? Do we still want it? Who is in charge
>> of this process? Is this timeline accurate (since the only edit on that
>> page was done by a non-WMF person; however, the process corresponds to the
>> one from 2014 in terms of the timeline)? Is there an underlying problem
>> that is causing bidding fatigue (since there are no valid bids so far)? Is
>> it too early to go into this process altogether (and am I just being too
>> dramatic)?
>>
>> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimania_2017
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Filip Maljković

Ellie Young
Events Manager
c. 510 701 8649

On 10/01/2015 03:26 AM, Ellie Young wrote:

> The Wikimania Steering Committee is in the process of discussing and making
> a proposal about our changing the process of how hosts are selected for
> future Wikimanias.  We will be asking for the community's input.  I didn't
> update the wiki pages to reflect this.   There will be an announcement soon
> about this.   We haven't forgotton about 2017!
>
> Thanks for your patience and we expect to make an announcement in the next
> few weeks.
>
> Ellie Young
> Events Manager, WMF

Thanks Ellie,

Glad to hear that something's going on. :)

Cheers,
Filip

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2017

梁忠明
Hello everyone,

I've just noted this (
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19BpGCFdr9DZIldNTwS66MjFGDPpOs79oy9t-uZ9iIxg/edit)
and the attached drafts <
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VEPKqDzWiujSCy4qM6KKnaRPyEM-gerInbYmGR7QYUo/edit>,
<
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CjWKJDvrGXrXY_1aTZNEWskQFFdJSfn06OrjoGXOeOg/edit>.
I wonder if they are useful, though I keep in mind that they are just
drafts. If so, will Montreal experience a walkover?

Also found is a meeting minutes of a recent meetup of the Perth community <
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Perth/21>, it seems that
they'll move forward, though their bid page is hollow at the moment.
Oceania is also a region that Wikimania has never come before.

Chung-ming

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimania 2017

Josh Lim
Thanks for the heads-up, Chung-ming.  If this is true, then this is absolutely incredulous on the part of the Foundation.

After the Wikimania 2016 bidding process, the Manila team was asked by Ellie to consider submitting a bid for Wikimania 2017.  We are currently in the early stages of preparing that bid, which we hope to submit for approval by the WMPH Board and to the Wikimania bid committee before the stated November 15th deadline on Meta, and it is a bid that we look forward to submitting for the consideration of the community and everyone involved in the Wikimania bidding process.

That said, if everything in these three Google Docs documents is true, then I am at a loss for words as to how to express my utter disappointment at how this process seems to have been rammed through without any sort of consultation taking place whatsoever, despite assurances made to the contrary.  While I have a lot of faith in the execution of a Montréal bid, why now when preparations were being made for a bidding process?  Why couldn’t this wait until 2018 so that we have more to build on when that bidding cycle comes online next year?

At the same time, as someone who has vocally advocated for making Wikimania more accessible to Wikimedians from the developing world, I am at a loss at how the documents in question could possibly even justify the need to predominantly hold Wikimania in the U.S. and/or Europe, especially given all the issues that we’ve had with the scholarship process over the last few years, and even more so given all the Wikimedians who wouldn’t be able to have a chance to go to Wikimania unless it were brought to a place closer and/or more accessible to them, especially visa-wise.  Economizing I understand, but at the expense of making Wikimania more accessible to the developing world?

All in all I’m at a loss, and while I look forward to hearing the response of everyone involved in that process, my faith in the entire Wikimania process at this point is visibly shaken.

Best regards,

Josh
(on behalf of the Wikimania Manila 2016 bid team)

> Wiadomość napisana przez 梁忠明 <[hidden email]> w dniu 2 paź 2015, o godz. 10:45:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've just noted this (
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/19BpGCFdr9DZIldNTwS66MjFGDPpOs79oy9t-uZ9iIxg/edit)
> and the attached drafts <
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VEPKqDzWiujSCy4qM6KKnaRPyEM-gerInbYmGR7QYUo/edit>,
> <
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CjWKJDvrGXrXY_1aTZNEWskQFFdJSfn06OrjoGXOeOg/edit>.
> I wonder if they are useful, though I keep in mind that they are just
> drafts. If so, will Montreal experience a walkover?
>
> Also found is a meeting minutes of a recent meetup of the Perth community <
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Perth/21>, it seems that
> they'll move forward, though their bid page is hollow at the moment.
> Oceania is also a region that Wikimania has never come before.
>
> Chung-ming

JAMES JOSHUA G. LIM
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science
Class of 2013, Ateneo de Manila University
Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> | +63 (915) 321-7582
Facebook/Twitter: akiestar | Wikimedia: Sky Harbor
http://about.me/josh.lim <http://about.me/josh.lim>