[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Tilman Bayer
Hi all,

the Wikimedia Foundation's 2012-13 Annual Plan has just been published at

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf

accompanied by a Q&A:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2012-2013_Annual_Plan_Questions_and_Answers

The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting in
Washington, DC, at Wikimania, and previously outlined to the
Foundation staff and interested community members at the monthly staff
meeting on July 5, 2012. We were planning to publish the video
recording of that meeting at this point, but encountered technical
difficulties; the video will hopefully become available soon.

--
Tilman Bayer
Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Thomas Dalton
Thank you for publishing this. Where is the best place to discuss this plan?

On 28 July 2012 04:58, Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the Wikimedia Foundation's 2012-13 Annual Plan has just been published at
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf
>
> accompanied by a Q&A:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2012-2013_Annual_Plan_Questions_and_Answers
>
> The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting in
> Washington, DC, at Wikimania, and previously outlined to the
> Foundation staff and interested community members at the monthly staff
> meeting on July 5, 2012. We were planning to publish the video
> recording of that meeting at this point, but encountered technical
> difficulties; the video will hopefully become available soon.
>
> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

geni
On 28 July 2012 04:58, Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the Wikimedia Foundation's 2012-13 Annual Plan has just been published at
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf
>
> accompanied by a Q&A:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2012-2013_Annual_Plan_Questions_and_Answers
>
> The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting in
> Washington, DC, at Wikimania, and previously outlined to the
> Foundation staff and interested community members at the monthly staff
> meeting on July 5, 2012. We were planning to publish the video
> recording of that meeting at this point, but encountered technical
> difficulties; the video will hopefully become available soon.
>
> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

$42.1 million? you could almost buy an olympic opening ceremony for that.

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Béria Lima
46 millions?? That is a joke right? Please someone tell me that this is a
joke.
_____
*Béria Lima*

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*

On Jul 29, 2012 3:33 AM, "Béria Lima" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 46 millions?? That is a joke right? Please someone tell me that this is a
> joke.

It's not a very large increase on last year. It's a little tricky to make
sure you are comparing like with like given the new way of treating chapter
revenues and spending, but I think the right number to compare with is
$39.2m. An increase to $46.1m is an 18% increase. That's tiny compared to
the growth we've seen in previous years.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Risker
I'm more curious about where the 9.9 million in revenue will come from in
Q4, to be honest.  (P.64 of the plan) Absent that, I'm not seeing how all
those new positions (particularly the 30 in Engineering) will be paid for.

Risker/Anne

On Jul 29, 2012 3:45 AM, "Risker" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm more curious about where the 9.9 million in revenue will come from in
> Q4, to be honest.  (P.64 of the plan)

The plan does seem to be missing the details on revenue... Isn't there
normally a slide breaking down revenue into fundraiser, grants, major
gifts, earned income, etc? (See slide 49 of last year's plan.)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Aude-2
On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the Wikimedia Foundation's 2012-13 Annual Plan has just been published at
>

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf
>
> accompanied by a Q&A:
>

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2012-2013_Annual_Plan_Questions_and_Answers
>
> The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting in
> Washington, DC, at Wikimania, and previously outlined to the
> Foundation staff and interested community members at the monthly staff
> meeting on July 5, 2012. We were planning to publish the video
> recording of that meeting at this point, but encountered technical
> difficulties; the video will hopefully become available soon.

Just a small point....

I'm curious how the proposed $255,000 for Wikimania travel for staff,
board, advisory board and volunteers compares with what was actually spent
this year?

In the 2011-2012 plan, I see that $96,000 was proposed.  While the travel
costs for SF staff to DC are much less, I find this too low and hard to
believe. Some more details and breakdown by scholarships vs.
staff/board/advisory board would be nice.

I'm curious if we are planning a higher number of scholarships for
volunteers for next year? (as the overall WMF budget increases) and how
many staff are we planning to send next year?

Cheers,
Katie

> --
> Tilman Bayer
> Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
> Wikimedia Foundation
> IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Board member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
http://wikimediadc.org
@wikimediadc / @wikimania2012

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Philippe Beaudette-3
<[hidden email]>

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>wrote:

> It's not a very large increase on last year. It's a little tricky to make
> sure you are comparing like with like given the new way of treating chapter
> revenues and spending, but I think the right number to compare with is
> $39.2m. An increase to $46.1m is an 18% increase. That's tiny compared to
> the growth we've seen in previous years.

It also tracks fairly closely to the strategy (
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/WMF_StrategicPlan2011_spreads.pdf),
page 16.

pb
(who had no active role in the design of this year's plan, but did in the
design of the strategy)
___________________
Philippe Beaudette
Director, Community Advocacy
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

415-839-6885, x 6643

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Risker
Actually, on looking a bit more closely, it appears that the Engineering
core positions include those that are intended to support non-core
activities.  That doesn't really add up; they should also be non-core.

I also note that a lot of the activities in the strategic plan are
considered non-core.  That seems to put the strategic plan at significant
risk.

Risker/Anne

On 28 July 2012 22:45, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm more curious about where the 9.9 million in revenue will come from in
> Q4, to be honest.  (P.64 of the plan) Absent that, I'm not seeing how all
> those new positions (particularly the 30 in Engineering) will be paid for.
>
> Risker/Anne
>

> On 28 July 2012 22:32, Béria Lima <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 46 millions?? That is a joke right? Please someone tell me that this is a
>> joke.
>> _____
>> *Béria Lima*
>>
>> *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
>> livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
>> construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*
>>

>> On 28 July 2012 00:58, Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > the Wikimedia Foundation's 2012-13 Annual Plan has just been published
>> at
>> >

>> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf
>> >
>> > accompanied by a Q&A:
>> >

>> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2012-2013_Annual_Plan_Questions_and_Answers
>> >
>> > The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting in
>> > Washington, DC, at Wikimania, and previously outlined to the
>> > Foundation staff and interested community members at the monthly staff
>> > meeting on July 5, 2012. We were planning to publish the video
>> > recording of that meeting at this point, but encountered technical
>> > difficulties; the video will hopefully become available soon.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Tilman Bayer
>> > Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
>> > Wikimedia Foundation
>> > IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Risker
This is a very good point, Thomas.  Why exactly is there no place on a
community wiki where this is being discussed?  Instead it is being
discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
does not subscribe.

Risker/Anne

On 28 July 2012 10:59, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for publishing this. Where is the best place to discuss this
> plan?
>
> On 28 July 2012 04:58, Tilman Bayer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the Wikimedia Foundation's 2012-13 Annual Plan has just been published at
> >

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Plan_FINAL_FOR_WEBSITE.pdf
> >
> > accompanied by a Q&A:
> >

> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/2012-2013_Annual_Plan_Questions_and_Answers
> >
> > The plan was approved by the Board of Trustees at its meeting in
> > Washington, DC, at Wikimania, and previously outlined to the
> > Foundation staff and interested community members at the monthly staff
> > meeting on July 5, 2012. We were planning to publish the video
> > recording of that meeting at this point, but encountered technical
> > difficulties; the video will hopefully become available soon.
> >
> > --
> > Tilman Bayer
> > Senior Operations Analyst (Movement Communications)
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > IRC (Freenode): HaeB

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

MZMcBride-2
Risker wrote:
> This is a very good point, Thomas.  Why exactly is there no place on a
> community wiki where this is being discussed?  Instead it is being
> discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
> does not subscribe.

Because you haven't created such a place yet. Meta-Wiki would be the
appropriate wiki. You can use a generic forum such as
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Forum> or feel free to just pick
a title (such as <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Annual_Plan>).

There used to be strategy.wikimedia.org, but there's general agreement that
we want to push these types of discussions into a central wiki, and
Meta-Wiki is that wiki.

I know a few people would like to see the talk namespaces of
wikimediafoundation.org opened up to general discussion, but that's a bit
tricky with raw HTML being allowed there. I have some thoughts on this, but
haven't had much motivation to act on them.

And this all isn't to say that I agree with your premise. This mailing list
is a perfectly fine place to discuss the Annual Plan. If the community wants
to be engaged in these types of discussions, they know to join and use this
mailing list. It's not as though this is list is some new and foreign forum.

MZMcBride

On Jul 29, 2012 7:01 AM, "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Risker wrote:
> > This is a very good point, Thomas.  Why exactly is there no place on a
> > community wiki where this is being discussed?  Instead it is being
> > discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
> > does not subscribe.
>
> Because you haven't created such a place yet.

It is generally best for the person that announces something to specify a
forum. That way you avoid discussion ending up split between multiple
venues.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

metasj
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Risker wrote:
> > This is a very good point, Thomas.  Why exactly is there no place on a
> > community wiki where this is being discussed?  Instead it is being
> > discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
> > does not subscribe.
>
> Because you haven't created such a place yet. Meta-Wiki would be the
> appropriate wiki.

Let's use the page we used to use to discuss plans and budgets:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget

I know a few people would like to see the talk namespaces of
> wikimediafoundation.org opened up to general discussion, but that's a bit
> tricky with raw HTML being allowed there.

This shouldn't be a blocker.  Disallow raw HTML on talk pages?
Simply restrict editing to a higher 'autoconfirmed' standard?

I would like to see your ideas on how to do this; it seems like a good idea.

SJ

Thomas Dalton wrote:

> On Jul 29, 2012 7:01 AM, "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Risker wrote:
>>> This is a very good point, Thomas.  Why exactly is there no place on a
>>> community wiki where this is being discussed?  Instead it is being
>>> discussed on a mailing list to which the vast majority of the community
>>> does not subscribe.
>>
>> Because you haven't created such a place yet.
>
> It is generally best for the person that announces something to specify a
> forum. That way you avoid discussion ending up split between multiple
> venues.

Given the bidirectional nature of this mailing list, I think the implicit
option (replying here, on the same list where the plan was announced) was
clear, but okay.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Keegan Peterzell
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I know a few people would like to see the talk namespaces of
> > wikimediafoundation.org opened up to general discussion, but that's a
> bit
> > tricky with raw HTML being allowed there.
>

> This shouldn't be a blocker.  Disallow raw HTML on talk pages?
> Simply restrict editing to a higher 'autoconfirmed' standard?
>
> I would like to see your ideas on how to do this; it seems like a good
> idea.
>
> SJ

Well, the biggest blocker would be that the WMF wiki is private.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  I know a few people would like to see the talk namespaces of
>> > wikimediafoundation.org opened up to general discussion, but that's a
>> bit
>> > tricky with raw HTML being allowed there.
>>

>> This shouldn't be a blocker.  Disallow raw HTML on talk pages?
>> Simply restrict editing to a higher 'autoconfirmed' standard?
>>
>> I would like to see your ideas on how to do this; it seems like a good
>> idea.
>>
>> SJ
>

> Well, the biggest blocker would be that the WMF wiki is private.
>
> --
> ~Keegan
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

For editing, that is.  I have what I presume to be my obituary on the
wiki:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2012-13 Annual Plan of the Wikimedia Foundation

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Keegan Peterzell, 29/07/2012 08:29:
> For editing, that is.  I have what I presume to be my obituary on the
> wiki:  http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell

The situation of WMFwiki is indeed frustrating, but could we avoid OT in
this thread? Unless it's a subtle strategy to make the thread useful and
make people go to
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13> (which
I'll now try to link from the main page and what not if it isn't).

Nemo

On 29 July 2012 03:16, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Keegan Peterzell, 29/07/2012 08:29:
>
>  For editing, that is.  I have what I presume to be my obituary on the
>> wiki:  http://wikimediafoundation.**org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell>
>>

> The situation of WMFwiki is indeed frustrating, but could we avoid OT in
> this thread? Unless it's a subtle strategy to make the thread useful and
> make people go to <https://meta.wikimedia.org/**
> wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#**2012-13<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13>>
> (which I'll now try to link from the main page and what not if it isn't).

Never mind - that links to a historical page.  I have started the new page
here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan

Risker/Anne

On 29 July 2012 03:32, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29 July 2012 03:16, Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Keegan Peterzell, 29/07/2012 08:29:
>>
>>  For editing, that is.  I have what I presume to be my obituary on the
>>> wiki:  http://wikimediafoundation.**org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell<http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/User:Kpeterzell>
>>>

>> The situation of WMFwiki is indeed frustrating, but could we avoid OT in
>> this thread? Unless it's a subtle strategy to make the thread useful and
>> make people go to <https://meta.wikimedia.org/**
>> wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#**2012-13<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13>>
>> (which I'll now try to link from the main page and what not if it isn't).
>>

> Never mind - that links to a historical page.  I have started the new page
> here:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2012-13_Wikimedia_Foundation_Annual_Plan
>

> Risker/Anne

Well, despite my best efforts, the discussion has been redirected back to <
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_budget#2012-13>

In other words, it is now on the bottom of a discussion page that has not
been touched in 3 years simply because it says something about the WMF
budget.  I'm sorry, but whenever we're having a discussion about $46
million, I think it deserves its own page.  Not to mention the fact that
this annual plan (which is a bit different than a budget) isn't even in the
same league as the ones from 2004-2009.  Nothing on the actual Wikimedia
budget page[1] is up to date, and it doesn't even include the links that
Tilman started this thread with.  Perhaps a bit more budget in the area of
community engagement is called for here.

Risker/Anne

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_budget - last edit March 2009