[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2013-14 Round 2 FDC/annual plan grants timeline moved out by a month: proposals due April 1, 2014

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2013-14 Round 2 FDC/annual plan grants timeline moved out by a month: proposals due April 1, 2014

Anasuya Sengupta
Dear friends and colleagues,

The 2013-2014 Round 2 FDC timeline and all associated dates are being
pushed back by one month. Here are the key date changes:

* Deadline for entities to meet eligibility requirements: 15 March 2014

* Proposal submission deadline: 1 April 2014

* Community review period: 1 April 2014 - 30 April 2014

* Staff assessment deadline: 8 May 2014

* FDC recommendations due: 1 June 2014

* Board decision due: 1 July 2014

This change in dates has been made for a few reasons. First, it allows for
the FDC and community to review the annual plan and budget of the WMF. As
you know, WMF participated in the first year of the FDC process in Round 1
(October 2012). While this was important, the process ended up being
complicated for both the FDC and WMF. WMF used a (no longer in use)
distinction of ‘core’ and ‘non-core’ activities, and shared only the
‘non-core’ portion of its plan in the FDC proposal, rather than its entire
annual plan (as did all other entities). The timing of the WMF proposal was
also difficult; the allocation was made retroactively at a time when the
annual plan was already six months into implementation. While the FDC and
WMF agree that WMF should continue to participate in the process, they also
agree that participation in Round 1 is not a viable solution.

The FDC and WMF have been discussing how the WMF can be part of the FDC
process in a way that is meaningful and allows for a robust community
review. While the exact details are still to be confirmed, both agree that
the best way forward is for the WMF to participate in Round 2 of the FDC
process. This approach also allows for community review of the WMF plan
through the FDC process, before the FDC recommendations and Board approval
of the WMF annual plan.

However, given WMF’s size, the first version of the WMF plan and budget is
only ready by April (the planning process begins after a six month
retrospective is analysed by the WMF Board in January/February, and
strategies for the next year are approved). Therefore, pushing back the FDC
timeline by one month would allow for version 1 of the WMF annual budget
and plan to be submitted for FDC and community review.

In addition, we consulted with entities that were likely to apply in Round
2, in order to check their preference: they informed us that pushing the
dates back by one month was, in fact, more convenient to them as well.
Overall, this timing will create an equal 6 month spacing between the two
annual plan/FDC cycles as opposed to the current 7 month / 5 month
timeframe.

We will be updating all the FDC documentation with these new dates,[1] but
this is a heads up particularly for those intending to apply for Round 2.

Do let us know if you have any questions or concerns about this shift in
dates.

Best wishes and warm holiday greetings to all of you. Here’s to a
fulfilling 2014 for the entire movement!
Anasuya and the FDC staff

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal
--

*Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2013-14 Round 2 FDC/annual plan grants timeline moved out by a month: proposals due April 1, 2014

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
I would like to note that this is highly irregular, biased, and unfair.
Last year, Wikimedia India had formally requested for similar concessions
during FDC Round 2 of 2012-13 and were denied the same and we had to wait
for Round 1 of FDC 2013-14 to make a request for FDC funding. WMF needs to
hold itself to the same requirements as it holds us to, at the very least.

We do not understand why the date to meet eligibility requirements has been
moved to March 15th and for whose benefit that has been done.

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Treasurer
Wikimedia Chapter [India].

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2013-14 Round 2 FDC/annual plan grants timeline moved out by a month: proposals due April 1, 2014

Anders Wennersten-2
The key for round 2 is WMF which we have discussed for almost a year.
And to be able to deliberate on WMF we must adjust to their budgeting
time plan, which means 1 month later then this year. This is also now
made official several months in advance and there has not been
communicated any other timeplan for Round 2. And as stated, the entities
that has sent in a letter of intent to be part of Round2 is happy to
have the time shifted one month.

For the eligibility timing it was for this Round 1 15 days before time
to send in proposal, the same as is stated for Round2

Anders

Srikanth Ramakrishnan skrev 2013-12-18 14:21:

> [...]
>>
>> We will be updating all the FDC documentation with these new dates,[1] but
>> this is a heads up particularly for those intending to apply for Round 2.
>>
>> Do let us know if you have any questions or concerns about this shift in
>> dates.
>>
>> Best wishes and warm holiday greetings to all of you. Here’s to a
>> fulfilling 2014 for the entire movement!
>> Anasuya and the FDC staff
>>
>> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FDC_portal
>> --
>>

>> *Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*
>>
>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
>> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>> Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2013-14 Round 2 FDC/annual plan grants timeline moved out by a month: proposals due April 1, 2014

geni
On 18 December 2013 13:21, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <[hidden email]>wrote:

> I would like to note that this is highly irregular, biased, and unfair.
> Last year, Wikimedia India had formally requested for similar concessions
> during FDC Round 2 of 2012-13 and were denied the same and we had to wait
> for Round 1 of FDC 2013-14 to make a request for FDC funding. WMF needs to
> hold itself to the same requirements as it holds us to, at the very least.

Not really. If Wikimedia India doesn't get funded then a few outreach and
editor recruitment programs get delayed. If WMF doesn't get funded the
servers go bye bye and mediawiki stops getting patched. I suppose the FDC
is baised in favor of the continued existence of wikipedia but thats to be
expected.

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2013-14 Round 2 FDC/annual plan grants timeline moved out by a month: proposals due April 1, 2014

Tomasz W. Kozlowski
geni wrote:

> Not really. If Wikimedia India doesn't get funded then a few outreach and
> editor recruitment programs get delayed. If WMF doesn't get funded the
> servers go bye bye and mediawiki stops getting patched. I suppose the FDC
> is baised in favor of the continued existence of wikipedia but thats to be
> expected.

This is so untrue I don't even know where to start. Perhaps having a
look at the latest Foundation report and the 2013-14 Annual Plan might
be good places to begin your research, geni.

           Tomasz

On 18 December 2013 17:09, Tomasz W. Kozlowski <[hidden email]>wrote:

> This is so untrue I don't even know where to start. Perhaps having a look
> at the latest Foundation report and the 2013-14 Annual Plan might be good
> places to begin your research, geni.

I'm aware that the EMF funds things beside the servers. That doesn't change
the fact that it still funds them (some squids? in Europe being the only
exception I can recall).

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2013-14 Round 2 FDC/annual plan grants timeline moved out by a month: proposals due April 1, 2014

Nathan Awrich
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to note that this is highly irregular, biased, and unfair.
> Last year, Wikimedia India had formally requested for similar concessions
> during FDC Round 2 of 2012-13 and were denied the same and we had to wait
> for Round 1 of FDC 2013-14 to make a request for FDC funding. WMF needs to
> hold itself to the same requirements as it holds us to, at the very least.
>
> We do not understand why the date to meet eligibility requirements has been
> moved to March 15th and for whose benefit that has been done.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Srikanth Ramakrishnan
> Treasurer
> Wikimedia Chapter [India].

I don't agree. The situations are not similar, and Anasuya's explanation on
behalf of the FDC is clear, reasonable and sufficient. It does seem just a
tiny bit odd, though, that the announcement was made by a WMF employee
instead of a member of the FDC.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] 2013-14 Round 2 FDC/annual plan grants timeline moved out by a month: proposals due April 1, 2014

rupert THURNER-2
Hi srikant, while i fully understand that it was not practical for you last
year, i highly appreciate that over time and with more input (yours as
well) a better balance is found. Ie a round every 6 months which solves
similar problems you had, and wmf beeing able to present its real budget
according to the financial period they are in. I guess it takes some time
until not only software gets deployed continuous, but also funding is
available continuously.

Rupert
Am 18.12.2013 14:21 schrieb "Srikanth Ramakrishnan" <[hidden email]