[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Lila Tretikov
Dear Wikimedians,

Among the WMF’s top priorities for 2015 is strengthening our engagement
with Wikimedia editors and volunteers. Today we are taking the first step
by bringing together the people who know our communities best and asking
them to break barriers and improve engagement. Everyone at the WMF who
carries responsibilities directly related to the communities will join a
new Community Engagement department.

I have asked Luis Villa to lead the Community Engagement organization as
the Senior Director of Community Engagement, reporting to me. Promoting
from within the WMF for this critical role will allow us to leverage the
knowledge and experience with our communities and reinforce the strengths
of our people.

Luis’s experience with communities is lengthy and deep. He has been
involved in open communities since the late 1990s, from communities as
small as the Lego Mindstorms hackers to those as large as Mozilla. He
worked in open communities as a lawyer, a programmer, a bugmaster, an
engineering lead, a community leader, and a board member. Luis has
performed exceptionally within the Foundation and supported some of our
most fruitful community engagements. The Grantmaking, L&E, Education,
Community Advocacy and Community Liaisons teams will join the new Community
Engagement department [2] under his leadership.

Unfortunately, Anasuya Sengupta -- our beloved leader of grantmaking --
will be leaving us due to personal health concerns at the end of March. We
will invite you soon to celebrate her time with us, her work at the WMF and
the deep insight she brought to the Foundation. We are saddened to see her
go. The team she has nurtured will provide an important foundation for our
upcoming work.

Siko Bouterse will move up to lead  the day-to-day work of the Grantmaking
team as Director of Community Resources, supervising all department Grant
programs and the Global South strategy. Siko has been instrumental in
innovating programs at the WMF, including initiatives like the Teahouse[1]
and the IdeaLab[2] combining vision with strong support for volunteer
community, tough decision making, and great project management skills.

These changes are an opportunity to improve the coordination of our work
supporting the communities. To accelerate this, I have asked Luis to lead
an internal “tiger” team to better understand the needs, concerns and
priorities of our volunteers, and to develop recommendations for future
programs. This work will be shared with all of you as it becomes available.

Please join me in congratulating Luis and Siko and in supporting our teams.
The Wikimedia communities are what makes the projects strong, unique, and
irreplaceable. This is the next step forward in our support to them, and in
service of our mission.

~~~~Lila

[1] As Director of Community Resources, Siko will oversee the IdeaLab,
Annual Plan Grants, Project and Event Grants, and Travel and Participation
Support. Her team will include Katy Love, Winifred Olliff, Alex Wang,
Janice Tud, Jonathan Morgan, and Asaf Bartov. Asaf will also take on a new
title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.

[2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other direct
reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the tiger
team but will continue to report to Engineering.

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse

[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Anasuya Sengupta
Dear friends and colleagues, fellow adventurers on the Wikimedia journey -

Goodbyes are overrated.[1] But since I’m sure this will be au revoir, I’ll
continue: I am leaving the Foundation as head of the Grantmaking
department, at the end of March. This was not an easy decision to make;
this is not an easy email to write.

As some of you know, I have been battling health issues over the past few
months. I’ve learnt sharp and intimate truths about myself as I’ve worked
to get better, and what I’ve kept coming back to is the compassionate but
fierce feminist slogan around self-care and sustainability: ‘what’s the
point of the revolution if we can’t dance?’[2] To reassure you all, I will
be well,[3] but I need a little time and space to focus on getting my
dancing legs strong again.

That said, I am pleased that we have a really solid plan in place as I
leave. As Lila’s email announced, Luis Villa (our current Deputy General
Counsel) will be taking over the team effective immediately, and leading
the organisation further in our support of Wikimedia communities worldwide.
Luis brings with him a range of skills and qualities that I know will stand
him, the team, and the movement in wonderful stead through it all. As a
friend and colleague, I am so delighted to be supporting Luis through the
next few weeks of transition.

I joined the Foundation in July 2012 to oversee and implement the FDC
process. Since then, I’ve had the privilege of creating and leading a
department of more than twenty remarkable and passionate people who care
about our mission, our communities, and the resources needed to match the
two.

We went from Asaf managing a small grants portfolio on his own, ably
supported on occasion by Winifred, to a fully fledged grantmaking
department with a spectrum of monetary and non-monetary resources. We have
been able to offer these in different ways to different parts of our
movement: to individual volunteers with great ideas in need of project
management, to small groups experimenting with new initiatives, and to
established organisations who form critical content and policy partnerships
in their local contexts. We built an infrastructure for understanding our
collective impact. We learned together about what our different communities
are doing globally, about the successes and challenges we have, and above
all: about how we can, together, create a more powerful set of outcomes for
free knowledge.

In doing so, I’ve had the joy of discovery,[4] of learning from and with
some of the most dedicated volunteers in the world, who believe that
knowledge matters. Most importantly, that it’s not only free knowledge
_for_ all that we seek, but even more critically, that we believe in
knowledge _from_ and _with_ all.

And I’ve discovered that the nerdy, geeky, obsessed-with-data part of me
found a home in this extraordinary universe, where everybody’s “unimaginable,
magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds” can find expression.[5] I
look forward to the day when my worlds find more space on Wikipedia, when
80% of the globe is represented by far more than 20% of the edits, when
much more than 15% of our contributors can self-identify as women. Till
then, I’ll keep fighting notability one article at a time...[6]

So thank you for sharing your worlds with me, and no thanks for turning me
into an obsessive Wikimedian. :-) As I have learnt with you, I know I have
done so with trust, and as I have challenged you, I hope I have done so
with respect. I look forward to continuing our friendships and obsessions
on a wiki near you.

With appreciation and gratitude,

Anasuya

p.s. You can find me in the future at my enWP user page (User:Anasuyas
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Anasuyas) or (dare I say it) on
Facebook. Longer diatribes on liff, the universe and everything can be sent
to anasuyaATsanmathi.org

[1] Neil Gaiman, American Gods (Chapter 8)

[2] Urgent Action Fund, a funder of women’s human rights defenders, has
this book on sustainability:
http://urgentactionfund.org/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/06/WTPR-Final-Book.pdf

[3] And look forward to dancing together on the beaches of a future
Wikimania…

[4] Sometimes frustrating, sometimes unbelievable, sometimes somewhat
insane; but yes mostly, generous beyond belief, and always, joyous. :-)

[5] More Neil Gaiman, from The Sandman:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Sandman#A_Game_of_You

[6]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=File:Key_theme_-_Global_South,_WMF_Metrics_Meeting_February_2015.pdf&page=20
Ask Florence (User:Anthere) for _that_ story!

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Lila Tretikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> teams. The Wikimedia communities are what makes the projects strong,
> unique, and irreplaceable. This is the next step forward in our support to
> them, and in service of our mission.
>

> ~~~~Lila
>

> [1] As Director of Community Resources, Siko will oversee the IdeaLab,
> Annual Plan Grants, Project and Event Grants, and Travel and Participation
> Support. Her team will include Katy Love, Winifred Olliff, Alex Wang,
> Janice Tud, Jonathan Morgan, and Asaf Bartov. Asaf will also take on a new
> title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.
>
> [2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other direct
> reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
> report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the tiger
> team but will continue to report to Engineering.

*Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Luis Villa
Lila, Anasuya, and everyone else-

Lila, thank you so much for the opportunity, and thank you Anasuya, Geoff,
and Erik for your long-term work with the GLEE, CA, and CL teams — you’ve
laid a strong foundation to build on. I would also like to congratulate
Siko on her expanded role — I am looking forward to working together with
her and the rest of the team on some of our most complex challenges.

I am excited to have the opportunity to work with our current leaders and
teams. We are lucky to have some incredible people on the team, and I look
forward to collaborating, learning, and creating even better engagement and
results together.

As Lila mentioned, I’ve been a contributor to a variety of open
communities, large and small, for over a decade and a half. Since the first
time I hacked on Lego software with someone on another continent, I’ve been
a strong believer that healthy communities and personal relationships are
the core of the special thing that we do. I expect to carry that forward
into the leadership of this team, with a focus on making the Foundation a
strong, supportive partner of growing, diverse, global Wikimedian
communities.

The creation of this new team within the Foundation shows a renewed
dedication by WMF to deepen our relationship to the people who create and
drive the projects. This focus will be critically important as we seek to
support and grow our mission. There are a huge number of opportunities to
get us ever-closer to our goal of a world of free knowledge.

Luis

--
Luis Villa
Sr. Director of Community Engagement

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Delphine Ménard
Anasuya, I'm whistling to a new tune already, get ready to dance. We'll
just change dance floors.
Thank you for it all and many many *hugs*

Luis, Siko, can't wait to work with you more, congrats on the new
responsibilities.

Asaf, 'bout time you stop killing kittens every time you introduce
yourself. And congrats for the step!

All the best,

Delphine

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Anasuya Sengupta <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> Participation
> > Support. Her team will include Katy Love, Winifred Olliff, Alex Wang,
> > Janice Tud, Jonathan Morgan, and Asaf Bartov. Asaf will also take on a
> new
> > title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.
> >
> > [2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other direct
> > reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
> > report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the tiger
> > team but will continue to report to Engineering.
> >
> > [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
> >
> > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

> *Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

@notafish

lost.
Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
http://blog.notanendive.org
Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Pine W
Anasuya, I will miss you. You did fabulous work for WMF and I hope that we
will continue to have the benefit of your wisdom.

Siko, I knew that you'd get promoted someday (: Question: who will directly
run IEG? They will have big shoes to fill.

Luis, congrats on the new role.

Pine

Pine

*This is an Encyclopedia* <https://www.wikipedia.org/>

*One gateway to the wide garden of knowledge, where lies The deep rock of
our past, in which we must delve The well of our future,The clear water we
must leave untainted for those who come after us,The fertile earth, in
which truth may grow in bright places, tended by many hands,And the broad
fall of sunshine, warming our first steps toward knowing how much we do not
know.*

*—Catherine Munro*

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the
> tiger
> > > team but will continue to report to Engineering.
> > >
> > > [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
> > >
> > > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

> > *Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> > the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
> > Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>

> @notafish

> lost.
> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
> http://blog.notanendive.org
> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Patricio Lorente
Dear Anasuya:

We will miss you badly. And worst: I will miss you badly. I've learned a
lot from you since our first meeting at Wikimania 2012 in Washington, and I
really hope you've enjoyed the ride in the Wikimedia movement. I know we
will meet again and you will be changing the world for better, cause that
is what you do.

Luis, Siko, congrats for the new roles! It will be a pleasure to work with
you both.

                                                             Patricio

> [...]
> > > title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.
> > >
> > > [2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other
> direct
> > > reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
> > > report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the
> tiger
> > > team but will continue to report to Engineering.
> > >
> > > [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
> > >
> > > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

> > *Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> > the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
> > Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>

> @notafish

> lost.
> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -

Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar
Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Gregory Varnum-2
Anasuya - I think you know that I adore you - and I am truly sad to see you go.

I look forward to seeing you around online - and hope to see you at Wikimanias - but your impact has been immense and you will be missed. :(

-greg aka varnent

> [...]
>> Janice Tud, Jonathan Morgan, and Asaf Bartov. Asaf will also take on a new
>> title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.
>>
>> [2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other direct
>> reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
>> report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the tiger
>> team but will continue to report to Engineering.
>>
>> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
>>
>> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

> *Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
> Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Katie Chan-2
Anasuya, thank you for the time and wisdom you have shared with us. We will
miss you dearly.

Luis & Siko, congratulations. Looking forward to working with you in your
new role.

Katie

On 19 February 2015 at 23:02, Gregory Varnum <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> Participation
> >> Support. Her team will include Katy Love, Winifred Olliff, Alex Wang,
> >> Janice Tud, Jonathan Morgan, and Asaf Bartov. Asaf will also take on a
> new
> >> title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.
> >>
> >> [2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other direct
> >> reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
> >> report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the tiger
> >> team but will continue to report to Engineering.
> >>
> >> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
> >>
> >> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

> > *Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> > the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

Katie Chan
Volunteer Support Organiser
Wikimedia UK
+44 (0) 20 7065 0990
+44 (0) 7885 980 534

PGP Key-ID: 0x483767A3

Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
Wikipedia, amongst other projects).

Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Vinicius Siqueira
Anasuya, it was a pleasure to take profit from your wisdom and joy. I hope
to see you recovered as soon as possible. I'm very grateful for your
kindness with Brazil!

Congratulations for Luis and the team. I wish you do a good job!

Vinicius Siqueira
WUG Brasil

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 9:22 PM, Katie Chan <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> Katie Chan
> Volunteer Support Organiser
> Wikimedia UK
> +44 (0) 20 7065 0990
> +44 (0) 7885 980 534
>
> PGP Key-ID: 0x483767A3
>
> Wikimedia UK is a Charitable Company registered in England and Wales.
> Registered Company No. 6741827. Registered Charity No.1144513.
> Registered Office: 4th Floor, Development House, 56-64 Leonard Street,
> London EC2A 4LT. United Kingdom.
> Wikimedia UK is the UK chapter of a global Wikimedia movement. The
> Wikimedia projects are run by the Wikimedia Foundation (who operate
> Wikipedia, amongst other projects).
>
> Wikimedia UK is an independent non-profit charity with no legal control
> over Wikipedia nor responsibility for its contents.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Siko Bouterse
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anasuya, I will miss you. You did fabulous work for WMF and I hope that we
> will continue to have the benefit of your wisdom.
>
> Siko, I knew that you'd get promoted someday (: Question: who will directly
> run IEG? They will have big shoes to fill.

Thanks for your support, Pine. I'll sorely miss Anasuya as well, but look
forward to working with Luis and all of you in this expanded capacity. As
for a program officer for IEG, that "who" is not yet settled, though we're
aiming to backfill quickly. For the next few weeks, I'll still be holding
down the IEG fort with support from the Community Resources team, as we
work towards a longer-term replacement. More about that soon!

Siko

> [...]
> > work
> > lead
> future
> > > available.

> support

> IdeaLab,
> > > Participation
> > > new

> > direct
> will
> > tiger

> > > --
> > >

> > > *Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*
> > >
> > > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> > > the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
> > > Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>

> > @notafish

> get
> > lost.
> > Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -

Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

sum of all knowledge. *
*Donate <https://donate.wikimedia.org> or click the "edit" button today,
and help us make it a reality!*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Subhashish Panigrahi-4
Anasuya,

Thanks so much for all your support and I'm personally so obliged to you
for being with us during the rough phase of WMF-CIS transition. It will
be sad to see you go but I'm sure you'll always be part of this great
community. Hope for your quick recovery. And I'm always up to join for
having "Uttara Kannada" delicacies when you're here. :)

Luis and Siko, congratulations for your new roles and looking forward to
see you all soon!

best,
Subha

On 20-02-15 07:24, Siko Bouterse wrote:

> [...]
>>> strengths

>> as
>> our

>> --
>> March.
>> WMF
>> see
>> for

>>> Grant
>> skills.
>>> work
>>> lead
>> future
>> support

>> IdeaLab,

>>> direct
>> will
>>> tiger

>>> --
>>> @notafish

>> get
>>> lost.
>>> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -

Subhashish Panigrahi
Access To Knowledge (CIS-A2K)
Centre for Internet and Society
@psubhashish / https://cis-india.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Ivan Martínez
Well, It's a sad announcement. Anasuya personally I think the goodbyes are
not overrated. Thanks for your kindly way of be, and the energy to push the
mission in other level. Wikimedia is not important but your sooner recovery
are the most and I hope all it will be solved.

And welcome to the new team!

> Anasuya,
>
> Thanks so much for all your support and I'm personally so obliged to you
> for being with us during the rough phase of WMF-CIS transition. It will be
> sad to see you go but I'm sure you'll always be part of this great
> community. Hope for your quick recovery. And I'm always up to join for
> having "Uttara Kannada" delicacies when you're here. :)
>
> Luis and Siko, congratulations for your new roles and looking forward to
> see you all soon!
>
> best,
> Subha
>

> On 20-02-15 07:24, Siko Bouterse wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:59 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Anasuya, I will miss you. You did fabulous work for WMF and I hope that
>>> we
>>> will continue to have the benefit of your wisdom.
>>>
>>> Siko, I knew that you'd get promoted someday (: Question: who will
>>> directly
>>> run IEG? They will have big shoes to fill.
>>>
>>>  Thanks for your support, Pine. I'll sorely miss Anasuya as well, but
>> look
>> forward to working with Luis and all of you in this expanded capacity. As
>> for a program officer for IEG, that "who" is not yet settled, though we're
>> aiming to backfill quickly. For the next few weeks, I'll still be holding
>> down the IEG fort with support from the Community Resources team, as we
>> work towards a longer-term replacement. More about that soon!
>>
>> Siko
>>

>>  Luis, congrats on the new role.
>>>
>>> Pine
>>>
>>> Pine
>>>
>>> *This is an Encyclopedia* <https://www.wikipedia.org/>
>>>

>>> *One gateway to the wide garden of knowledge, where lies The deep rock of
>>> our past, in which we must delve The well of our future,The clear water
>>> we
>>> must leave untainted for those who come after us,The fertile earth, in
>>> which truth may grow in bright places, tended by many hands,And the broad
>>> fall of sunshine, warming our first steps toward knowing how much we do
>>> not
>>> know.*
>>>
>>> *—Catherine Munro*
>>>
>>> On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Anasuya, I'm whistling to a new tune already, get ready to dance. We'll

>>> 2012/06/WTPR-Final-Book.pdf

>>> theme_-_Global_South,_WMF_Metrics_Meeting_February_2015.pdf&page=20

>>> get

> Subhashish Panigrahi
> Access To Knowledge (CIS-A2K)
> Centre for Internet and Society
> @psubhashish / https://cis-india.org

*Iván Martínez*

*Wikimanía 2015 Chief CoordinatorUser:ProtoplasmaKid
@protoplasmakidhttp://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org
<http://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org>*

Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda a
proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Dear Anasuya,

Like you and many others I hope that this is an Au-Revoir, but nevertheless its a good idea to take a moment even when parting with the expectation of meeting again in the near future.

Thank you for all that you have done for the Foundation, especially in building up our grant making ability in the past years. One of the reasons why the FDC is getting better all the time is you and your ability to listen to all the different stakeholders and come up with suggestions to improve/simplify the process. Having worked with you in the first FDC rounds and follow up conversations in the board have been great and as you can see from this thread, you will be sorely missed.

I hope that your health issues will be behind you soon and that you will be able to dance with/around us soon :)

Best Wishes

Jan-Bart de Vreede

> [...]
>> Janice Tud, Jonathan Morgan, and Asaf Bartov. Asaf will also take on a new
>> title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.
>>
>> [2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other direct
>> reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
>> report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the tiger
>> team but will continue to report to Engineering.
>>
>> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
>>
>> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

> *Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
> Support Wikimedia <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Liam Wyatt
It is indeed sad news that we wake up to this morning, reading that Anasuya
will be leaving us! I wish you the best, and a speedy and full recovery. I
think I still owe you a beer from London :-)

On the other hand, it is very interesting and positive to read that three
excellent WMF-ers are changing roles, and will be able to continue to
"fight the good fight" even more successfully. Luis, Siko and Asaf,
congratulations - I respect you and your work greatly and look forward to
seeing what you build!

I see the WMF's "staff and contractors" page has already been updated to
reflect the new changes, which is very nice - it's helpful to be able to
see the new structure that was explained visually.
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors

-Liam

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
Dear Anasuya,

there's a lot I've learnt from you and your departure leaves me half way,
with a a burning appetite for more. You've been a pillar of the grant
making process, and of WMF. Please, do get better soon, and back on your
dancing legs!

dj "pundit"

wrote:

> [...]
> Participation
> > Support. Her team will include Katy Love, Winifred Olliff, Alex Wang,
> > Janice Tud, Jonathan Morgan, and Asaf Bartov. Asaf will also take on a
> new
> > title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.
> >
> > [2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other direct
> > reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
> > report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the tiger
> > team but will continue to report to Engineering.
> >
> > [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
> >
> > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

> *Anasuya SenguptaSenior Director of GrantmakingWikimedia Foundation*
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

__________________________
prof. dr hab. Dariusz Jemielniak
i centrum badawczego CROW
Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
http://www.crow.alk.edu.pl

członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
członek Komitetu Polityki Naukowej MNiSW

Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010

Recenzje
Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
Pacific Standard:
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
The Wikipedian:
http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Christophe Henner
I hate au revoirs.

I feel like you've been around for a decade. Perhaps it's because you've
bring to us a decade worth of insights, advices, experiences, etc.

I do hope we have turned you into a hardcore Wikimedian and that you won't
resist the appeal to stay among us. Thank you for everything you did :)

Congrats to Luis, Siko and Asaf on the new roles. I knew Luis wasn't a true
lawyer, and now we have proof of that!

All the best,

--
Christophe

On 20 February 2015 at 09:52, Dariusz Jemielniak <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> i centrum badawczego CROW
> Akademia Leona Koźmińskiego
> http://www.crow.alk.edu.pl
>
> członek Akademii Młodych Uczonych Polskiej Akademii Nauk
> członek Komitetu Polityki Naukowej MNiSW
>
> Wyszła pierwsza na świecie etnografia Wikipedii "Common Knowledge? An
> Ethnography of Wikipedia" (2014, Stanford University Press) mojego
> autorstwa http://www.sup.org/book.cgi?id=24010
>
> Recenzje
> Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml
> Pacific Standard:
> http://www.psmag.com/navigation/books-and-culture/killed-wikipedia-93777/
> Motherboard: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/an-ethnography-of-wikipedia
> The Wikipedian:
> http://thewikipedian.net/2014/10/10/dariusz-jemielniak-common-knowledge

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Risker
Thank you very much for sharing this, Lila.

A special thank you to Anasuya for all of her work in the grantmaking
area.  She has been a driving force, and her contributions will be missed.

Congratulations to Luis, Siko and Asaf in their new roles.  I will look
forward to working with all of them in their new capacities.

Out of curiosity, and bearing in mind that the WMF has put itself forward
as having its major focuses on techology and grantmaking, is there a reason
that the person leading the third-largest group of staff, in one of these
priority areas, is a "Senior Director" when smaller departments have
"Chiefs" and the other focus departments have VPs?    The organizational
chart is getting a bit tricky to follow.  :-)

Risker/Anne

On 19 February 2015 at 17:15, Lila Tretikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> ~~~~Lila
>

> [1] As Director of Community Resources, Siko will oversee the IdeaLab,
> Annual Plan Grants, Project and Event Grants, and Travel and Participation
> Support. Her team will include Katy Love, Winifred Olliff, Alex Wang,
> Janice Tud, Jonathan Morgan, and Asaf Bartov. Asaf will also take on a new
> title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.
>
> [2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other direct
> reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
> report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the tiger
> team but will continue to report to Engineering.
>
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
>
> [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

Bishakha Datta
Dear Anasuya,

Loved working together - it was a real pleasure.

Apart from everything you did to drive grantmaking, a big thumbs up to you
for dreaming up and organizing the community consultation in India last
October.

Hope you're back on your feet soon!
Bishakha

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Annual Plan Grants, Project and Event Grants, and Travel and
> Participation
> > Support. Her team will include Katy Love, Winifred Olliff, Alex Wang,
> > Janice Tud, Jonathan Morgan, and Asaf Bartov. Asaf will also take on a
> new
> > title as Senior Program Officer, Emerging Wikimedia Communities.
> >
> > [2] Rachel DiCerbo, Philippe Beaudette, Siko, and Anasuya’s other direct
> > reports, and their respective teams (CL, CA, and Grantmaking/GLEE) will
> > report to Luis. The Engineering Community team will be part of the tiger
> > team but will continue to report to Engineering.
> >
> > [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Teahouse
> >
> > [4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IdeaLab

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement: A new structure for WMF Community Engagement

phoebe ayers-3
On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 2:15 PM, Lila Tretikov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> Among the WMF’s top priorities for 2015 is strengthening our engagement with
> Wikimedia editors and volunteers. Today we are taking the first step by
> bringing together the people who know our communities best and asking them
> to break barriers and improve engagement.

Let me join in congratulating Luis and Siko, and a huge thank you to
Anasuya -- your good humor, kindness and unflagging recognition of
individual motivations and issues while also setting up complex global
funding systems always inspired me.

And to the core priority of the WMF working more closely with
volunteers -- I think this is very much the right direction!

best,
Phoebe