[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] (Announcement) Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] (Announcement) Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

Jay Walsh
(This announcement is being shared in advance of a public release with the
Wikimedia community. We will be posting a press release, blog post, and
Ana's bio to the WMF wiki this afternoon, PT. Thanks)

Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

San Francisco -- July 8, 2013 -- The Wikimedia Foundation today announced
its newest Board of Trustees member, Ana Toni. Ana is currently the CEO for
GIP (Public Interest Management), a consultancy firm based in Rio de
Janeiro, Brazil, which works for foundations, non-profit organizations and
businesses on social and environmental issues.

According to Ana, "It is an honor to be part of the Wikimedia Foundation’s
Board and to participate with this amazing Wikipedia community. I
especially look forward to supporting the Foundation’s efforts to
strengthen the Wikipedia community in the Global South and to advance the
organization's mission to empower and engage people in building the common
good."

Since 2011, Ana has served as the Board Chair of Greenpeace International.
From 2003 until 2011, Ana was the Ford Foundation’s representative in
Brazil, during which time she oversaw the Foundation’s work in the areas of
human rights, sustainable development, racial and ethical discrimination,
sexuality and reproductive health, media democratization and land rights.
She was also responsible for coordinating a regional Latin America
Initiative on Economics and Globalization, an IBSA initiative (joint work
between Brazil, South Africa and India) and the International Initiative on
Intellectual Property Rights.

From 1998 to 2002, Ana was ActionAid’s Executive Director in Brazil,
working to contribute in the eradication of poverty and inequality through
community development projects, as well as public policy advocacy and
campaigning at both the national and international levels. Ana also worked
for ActionAid UK as Policy Advisor (1990 – 1993), representing the
organization at the United Nations Conference on Environment and
Development.

Ana worked for Greenpeace from 1993 to 1997, first as the International
Head of the Political Unit based at Greenpeace International in Amsterdam,
and subsequently as Senior Advisor for Greenpeace Germany. She was
responsible for, among other things, the work of Greenpeace on the World
Trade Organization (in particular the Committee on Trade and Environment)
and she also contributed in the development of Greenpeace’s work in the
Amazon region in its early stage.

Ana holds a masters degree in Politics of the World Economy from the London
School of Economics and is a candidate for a PhD on Social Politics at the
Rio de Janeiro State University. In addition, Ana is a member of the
Editorial Board of Le Monde Diplomatique Brazil, and a Board member of the
Baobá Fund for Racial Equity and the Forum of Women’s Leaders on
Sustainability. Ana is Brazilian and lives in Rio de Janeiro.

There are 10 seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board and according to the
Foundation's bylaws, three members are elected by the Wikimedia community,
two are selected by the Wikimedia chapters, the Founder seat is held by
Jimmy Wales, and four members are appointed by the Board itself to provide
additional, specific expertise.

--
Jay Walsh
Senior Director, Communications

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] (Announcement) Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

Samuel Klein-4
Ana,

Welcome to our community!  Your international nonprofit and
grantmaking work, and experience in Brazil, will be an asset to our
work and a complement to the Board.  I look forward to working with
you.

Thanks to those who took part in the Trustee search and recommended so
many excellent candidates.

Warmly,
Sam.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM, Jay Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> and she also contributed in the development of Greenpeace’s work in the
> Amazon region in its early stage.
>
> Ana holds a masters degree in Politics of the World Economy from the London
> School of Economics and is a candidate for a PhD on Social Politics at the
> Rio de Janeiro State University. In addition, Ana is a member of the
> Editorial Board of Le Monde Diplomatique Brazil, and a Board member of the
> Baobá Fund for Racial Equity and the Forum of Women’s Leaders on
> Sustainability. Ana is Brazilian and lives in Rio de Janeiro.
>
> There are 10 seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board and according to the
> Foundation's bylaws, three members are elected by the Wikimedia community,
> two are selected by the Wikimedia chapters, the Founder seat is held by
> Jimmy Wales, and four members are appointed by the Board itself to provide

Samuel Klein          w:user:sj          @metasj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] (Announcement) Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

Delphine Ménard
Dear Ana,

I am extremely excited to see you join the Board of the Wikimedia
Foundation, I know the experience you bring in international
organisations is going to be invaluable to our movement.

An enormous thanks to those who have made this possible. And a great
great thank you to you Ana, for accepting to walk the path ahead with
us.

Best regards,

Delphine

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 7:26 PM, Jay Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> and she also contributed in the development of Greenpeace’s work in the
> Amazon region in its early stage.
>
> Ana holds a masters degree in Politics of the World Economy from the London
> School of Economics and is a candidate for a PhD on Social Politics at the
> Rio de Janeiro State University. In addition, Ana is a member of the
> Editorial Board of Le Monde Diplomatique Brazil, and a Board member of the
> Baobá Fund for Racial Equity and the Forum of Women’s Leaders on
> Sustainability. Ana is Brazilian and lives in Rio de Janeiro.
>
> There are 10 seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board and according to the
> Foundation's bylaws, three members are elected by the Wikimedia community,
> two are selected by the Wikimedia chapters, the Founder seat is held by
> Jimmy Wales, and four members are appointed by the Board itself to provide

@notafish

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] (Announcement) Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

Lodewijk
Welcome Ana!

(while everyone is assuming Ana is already subscribed to this list, I will
do the same. i hope that when this thread lies down a bit, someone will
forward it of course :) )
We have always heard a lot about Greenpeace, and as you probably know, it
was often used as an example in our strategic discussions how we would like
to develop as a movement (the amount of centralization). I look forward to
your involvement on those discussions as we're slowly moving towards a new
strategic cycle for the Wikimedia Foundation, and I hope you will be bold
enough a person to simply join, even if you may feel somewhat 'new' for the
first ten years ;-).

Very practically: when exactly does your term officially start her term?
Will that be at the coming board meeting in Hong Kong, or afterwards? I
hope you will have the opportunity of meeting many community members in
Hong Kong!

Best,

Lodewijk Gelauff

2013/7/9 Delphine Ménard <[hidden email]>

> [...]
> > Foundation's bylaws, three members are elected by the Wikimedia
> community,
> > two are selected by the Wikimedia chapters, the Founder seat is held by
> > Jimmy Wales, and four members are appointed by the Board itself to
> provide
> > additional, specific expertise.
> >
> > --
> > Jay Walsh
> > Senior Director, Communications
> > WikimediaFoundation.org
> > blog.wikimedia.org
> > +1 (415) 839 6885 x 6609, @jansonw

> @notafish

> lost.
> Intercultural musings: Ceci n'est pas une endive -
> http://blog.notanendive.org
> Photos with simple eyes: notaphoto - http://photo.notafish.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] (Announcement) Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Hey

I am also very happy to publicly welcome her to the Board, and am really happy that she was able to free up time for the commitment of our board, which demands a good deal of time.

With regards to your questions:

1) I am forwarding these messages to Ana Toni :) And gave her instructions how to subscribe
2) Her term started on the 1st of July.
3) Unfortunately she is not able to make it to Wikimania because she already had plans during that period :(  She will probably be attending a part of the board meeting through Skype but she will miss the interaction with everyone, which is something she (and we all) regret but which couldn't be helped.

(she did meet some of the community members in San Francisco during her stay there when we interviewed here and Phoebe organised a edit-a-thon :)

Jan-Bart

On Jul 9, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Welcome Ana!
>
> (while everyone is assuming Ana is already subscribed to this list, I will
> do the same. i hope that when this thread lies down a bit, someone will
> forward it of course :) )
> We have always heard a lot about Greenpeace, and as you probably know, it
> was often used as an example in our strategic discussions how we would like
> to develop as a movement (the amount of centralization). I look forward to
> your involvement on those discussions as we're slowly moving towards a new
> strategic cycle for the Wikimedia Foundation, and I hope you will be bold
> enough a person to simply join, even if you may feel somewhat 'new' for the
> first ten years ;-).
>
> Very practically: when exactly does your term officially start her term?
> Will that be at the coming board meeting in Hong Kong, or afterwards? I
> hope you will have the opportunity of meeting many community members in
> Hong Kong!
>
> Best,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] (Announcement) Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

Jon Davies
Dear Ana,

Congratulations on your appointment and greetings from Wikimedia UK  - the
UK chapter of the movement.

We are pleased that you know the UK well. Do you speak any Welsh?

There is always a welcome and a desk for visitors from the Foundation here
in London so pop in and see us next time you are in London.

Will you be in Hong Kong at Wikimania?

Jon Davies

CEO WMUK.

On 9 July 2013 12:00, Jan-Bart de Vreede <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey
>
> I am also very happy to publicly welcome her to the Board, and am really
> happy that she was able to free up time for the commitment of our board,
> which demands a good deal of time.
>
> With regards to your questions:
>
> 1) I am forwarding these messages to Ana Toni :) And gave her instructions
> how to subscribe
> 2) Her term started on the 1st of July.
> 3) Unfortunately she is not able to make it to Wikimania because she
> already had plans during that period :(  She will probably be attending a
> part of the board meeting through Skype but she will miss the interaction
> with everyone, which is something she (and we all) regret but which
> couldn't be helped.
>
> (she did meet some of the community members in San Francisco during her
> stay there when we interviewed here and Phoebe organised a edit-a-thon :)
>
> Jan-Bart
>

> On Jul 9, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Welcome Ana!
> >
> > (while everyone is assuming Ana is already subscribed to this list, I
> will
> > do the same. i hope that when this thread lies down a bit, someone will
> > forward it of course :) )
> > We have always heard a lot about Greenpeace, and as you probably know, it
> > was often used as an example in our strategic discussions how we would
> like
> > to develop as a movement (the amount of centralization). I look forward
> > your involvement on those discussions as we're slowly moving towards a
> new
> > strategic cycle for the Wikimedia Foundation, and I hope you will be bold
> > enough a person to simply join, even if you may feel somewhat 'new' for
> the
> > first ten years ;-).
> >
> > Very practically: when exactly does your term officially start her term?
> > Will that be at the coming board meeting in Hong Kong, or afterwards? I
> > hope you will have the opportunity of meeting many community members in
> > Hong Kong!
> >
> > Best,

*Jon Davies - Chief Executive Wikimedia UK*.  Mobile (0044) 7803 505 169
tweet @jonatreesdavies

Telephone (0044) 207 065 0990.

Visit http://www.wikimedia.org.uk/ and @wikimediauk

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] (Announcement) Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

Lodewijk
(just for the record, not reflecting at all on Ana's qualities or being
unhappy with the actual decision):

I understand that the board took this decision online on June 19. I'm a
little disappointed it took so long to communicate this to the community:
almost three weeks after the decision, a week after the term was effective.
If such a long preperation is required to communicate the decision, perhaps
it would make sense to adjust the effectivity date accordingly in the
future.

Best,
Lodewijk

2013/7/9 Jan-Bart de Vreede <[hidden email]>

> Hey
>
> I am also very happy to publicly welcome her to the Board, and am really
> happy that she was able to free up time for the commitment of our board,
> which demands a good deal of time.
>
> With regards to your questions:
>
> 1) I am forwarding these messages to Ana Toni :) And gave her instructions
> how to subscribe
> 2) Her term started on the 1st of July.
> 3) Unfortunately she is not able to make it to Wikimania because she
> already had plans during that period :(  She will probably be attending a
> part of the board meeting through Skype but she will miss the interaction
> with everyone, which is something she (and we all) regret but which
> couldn't be helped.
>
> (she did meet some of the community members in San Francisco during her
> stay there when we interviewed here and Phoebe organised a edit-a-thon :)
>
> Jan-Bart
>

> On Jul 9, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Welcome Ana!
> >
> > (while everyone is assuming Ana is already subscribed to this list, I
> will
> > do the same. i hope that when this thread lies down a bit, someone will
> > forward it of course :) )
> > We have always heard a lot about Greenpeace, and as you probably know, it
> > was often used as an example in our strategic discussions how we would
> like
> > to develop as a movement (the amount of centralization). I look forward
> > your involvement on those discussions as we're slowly moving towards a
> new
> > strategic cycle for the Wikimedia Foundation, and I hope you will be bold
> > enough a person to simply join, even if you may feel somewhat 'new' for
> the
> > first ten years ;-).
> >
> > Very practically: when exactly does your term officially start her term?
> > Will that be at the coming board meeting in Hong Kong, or afterwards? I
> > hope you will have the opportunity of meeting many community members in
> > Hong Kong!
> >
> > Best,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] (Announcement) Ana Toni Announced as New Wikimedia Foundation Board Member

metasj
Yes, this took longer than planned.  By rights all resolutions should
be published within two weeks; thank you for noticing.

We discussed the idea of altering the effective date, but decided it
wasn't worth it. There were no Board votes during the intervening 8
days; and the end of the term is not affected by when it starts.

Warmly,
Sam.