[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

Sue Gardner-2
Hello Wikimedia community members,

This is not an easy e-mail to write, and it’s been a very hard
decision to make. But I’m writing to tell you that I’m planning to
leave my position as the Executive Director of the Wikimedia
Foundation.

My departure isn’t imminent -- the Board and I anticipate it’ll take
at least six months to recruit my successor, and I’ll be fully engaged
as Executive Director all through the recruitment process and until we
have a new person in place. We’re expecting that’ll take about six
months or so, and so this note is not goodbye -- not yet.

Making the decision to leave hasn’t been easy, but it comes down to two things.

First, the movement and the Wikimedia Foundation are in a strong place
now. When I joined, the Foundation was tiny and not yet able to
reliably support the projects. Today it's healthy, thriving, and a
competent partner to the global network of Wikimedia volunteers. If
that wasn’t the case, I wouldn’t feel okay to leave. In that sense, my
leaving is a vote of confidence in our Board and executive team and
staff --- I know they will ably steer the Foundation through the years
ahead, and I’m confident the Board will appoint a strong successor to
me.

And I feel that although we’re in good shape, with a promising future,
the same isn’t true for the internet itself. (This is thing number
two.) Increasingly, I’m finding myself uncomfortable about how the
internet’s developing, who’s influencing its development, and who is
not. Last year we at Wikimedia raised an alarm about SOPA/PIPA, and
now CISPA is back. Wikipedia has experienced censorship at the hands
of industry groups and governments, and we’re --increasingly, I
think-- seeing important decisions made by unaccountable
non-transparent corporate players, a shift from the open web to mobile
walled gardens, and a shift from the production-based internet to one
that’s consumption-based. There are many organizations and individuals
advocating for the public interest online -- what’s good for ordinary
people -- but other interests are more numerous and powerful than they
are. I want that to change. And that’s what I want to do next.

I’ve always aimed to make the biggest contribution I can to the
general public good. Today, this is pulling me towards a new and
different role, one very much aligned with Wikimedia values and
informed by my experiences here, and with the purpose of amplifying
the voices of people advocating for the free and open internet. I
don’t know exactly what this will look like -- I might write a book,
or start a non-profit, or work in partnership with something that
already exists. Either way, I feel strongly that this is what I need
to do.

I feel an increasing sense of urgency around this. That said, I also
feel a strong sense of responsibility (and love!) for the Wikimedia
movement, and so I’ve agreed with the Board that I’ll stay on as
Executive Director until we have my successor in place. That’ll take
some time -- likely, at least six months.

Until then, nothing changes. The Wikimedia Foundation has lots of work
to do, and you can expect me to focus fully on it until we have a new
Executive Director in place.

I have many people to thank, but I’m not going to do it now --
there’ll be time for that later. For now, I’ll just say I love working
with you all, I’m proud of everything the Wikimedia movement is
accomplishing, and I’m looking forward to our next six months
together.

Jan-Bart’s going to write a note in a couple of minutes with
information about the transition process. We’ll be hosting office
hours this weekend as well, so anybody with questions can ask them
here or turn up to talk with us on IRC.

Thanks,
Sue

--
Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement *please read*

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Dear members of the community.

As they say… all good things must come to an end…

It’s hard for me and the rest of the Board to imagine the Wikimedia Foundation without Sue at the helm, but we’re confident, as is she, that we can make this transition positive for everyone. Sue is going to continue to work in what we broadly think of as “our space”, and we know she’s going to continue to be our friend and supporter. So, this isn’t goodbye.

I understand and respect Sue’s reasoning here, and know she’s going to continue to do important work. Although I’m tempted to write a big note of praise and love, I want to respect her request that we not move into thanking mode just yet.  She’s right, we have lots of work to do, and she’s not going anywhere right away. There will be lots of time for thanking later.

But I do wish to make the general statement that her contribution to the movement through the position of Executive director (and very active editor) has been and will continue to be incredible. As a board member I will forever be grateful that she was willing to bet on a small organization with a lot of potential… and then continued on to build on that potential to make it one of the most powerful examples in the space of open knowledge and learning.

Here’s what will happen next.

The Board has appointed a Transition Team which consists of the Chair of the Board of Trustees Kat Walsh,  and HR Committee member Alice Wiegand, Sue, Sue’s deputy and the Wikimedia Foundation’s Vice-President of Product and Engineering Erik Moeller, Geoff Brigham our General Counsel, and Gayle Karen Young, our Chief Talent and Culture Officer. I am the final member and am the Chair of the Transition Team, and Sue will be facilitating its work on my behalf.

(In case you don’t know, non-profit organizations often have outgoing EDs support the recruitment of their successors. The Board is of course ultimately responsible for appointing the Executive Director, but we want our search to be supported by our staff members, including Sue. Sue , Erik, Geoff and Gayle have done a lot of hiring for the Wikimedia Foundation over the past number of years, and we know they will bring experience and wisdom to the process.)

I will also be responsible for making this a transparent (where possible) and confidential (where needed) process and will set up the corresponding pages on Meta in the coming days (please give me some time to do so :). First step will be the office hours with Sue and myself this Saturday.

We haven’t yet defined exactly what the process will look like, although we do know that we will be engaging a search firm to help us. The Transition Team will be meeting informally over the next several weeks, and will have our first face-to-face meeting together in mid-April in Milan, as part of the Wikimedia Conference. I will give a status report shortly after that.

I’d be very happy to answer any questions you’ve got. To that end, Sue and I will be having office hours this Saturday, 30 of March, at 11AM PST [6PM UTC]. Or, we can talk on this list.

Jan-Bart de Vreede
Vice Chair
Wikimedia Board of Trustees

On Mar 27, 2013, at 11:04 PM, Sue Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> some time -- likely, at least six months.
>
> Until then, nothing changes. The Wikimedia Foundation has lots of work
> to do, and you can expect me to focus fully on it until we have a new
> Executive Director in place.
>
> I have many people to thank, but I’m not going to do it now --
> there’ll be time for that later. For now, I’ll just say I love working
> with you all, I’m proud of everything the Wikimedia movement is
> accomplishing, and I’m looking forward to our next six months
> together.
>
> Jan-Bart’s going to write a note in a couple of minutes with
> information about the transition process. We’ll be hosting office
> hours this weekend as well, so anybody with questions can ask them
> here or turn up to talk with us on IRC.
>
> Thanks,
> Sue

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement *please read*

Manuel Schneider-3
Dear Sue,

thanks for the honest and open mail. This is not a farewell mail either,
we still have much time to share.

But I'd like to reply to this point:

Am 27.03.2013 23:04, schrieb Sue Gardner:
> And that’s what I want to do next.
>
> I’ve always aimed to make the biggest contribution I can to the
> general public good. Today, this is pulling me towards a new and
> different role, one very much aligned with Wikimedia values and
> informed by my experiences here, and with the purpose of amplifying
> the voices of people advocating for the free and open internet. I
> don’t know exactly what this will look like [...]

In the context of the problems you listed in your mail I can only
recommend in trying to get a position at ICANN.

By the way Wikimedia CH and Wikimedia Österreich are members of ICANN
but due to our nature we are only part of the ALAC, so we don't have a
lot of impact. Much in the contrast of having you in a management
position there. That would be really interesting!

/Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement *please read*

Kat Walsh-3
I'm not sure it could be any easier to write this message, but I'm not sure
it could be any harder either.

It is a great privilege to be able to say, as she is moving on, that this
is not a sign of any trouble or strain between Sue and the board, or any
sign of trouble at Wikimedia. It would be hard to be in a better condition
to have a calm, angst-free transition, which reflects the professionalism,
leadership, and real concern for the organization that Sue has shown all
throughout her time in the position; I was incredibly sorry to hear she
would be moving on from this role even as she goes on to find new ways to
further the values we both believe in.

When we hired Sue, we knew it was for a tremendous task, one that we could
hardly have asked of anyone, especially at the stage in our history while
we were small and struggling. We had no idea how lucky we were to connect
with her, someone who had the unusual mix of skills needed to take us from
where we were as an organization to where we are now, and who had the
passion for our movement and the values it holds to become its best and
strongest advocate. Now we are lucky to have her as a full part of the
transition team, as the one who best knows the specific demands of the
role, and to continue to lead the organization until her successor is in as
strong as possible a position going forward.

As Chair, I recognize that she's been a great leader of the organization,
and that we have a challenging task ahead in finding a successor--but that
she will be leaving us in an excellent position for another outstanding
leader to take up where she left off.

In a personal capacity, I have truly valued being able to work closely for
these past years with someone I consider a mentor and a friend, and with
whom I was able to have a great deal of mutual trust, respect, and candor.
And so even recognizing this as a decision that was bound to come sometime
and makes perfect sense, I am sad to know she will be moving on, and to
have to write this message. Fortunately, this isn't yet goodbye, and given
that she'll be closely tied to our movement in whatever new role she
chooses, even that will only be a "see you later".

I look forward to working with her, and with all of you, to search for and
prepare the next amazing person to lead the organization into the future.

-Kat

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Sue Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> to do, and you can expect me to focus fully on it until we have a new
> Executive Director in place.
>
> I have many people to thank, but I’m not going to do it now --
> there’ll be time for that later. For now, I’ll just say I love working
> with you all, I’m proud of everything the Wikimedia movement is
> accomplishing, and I’m looking forward to our next six months
> together.
>
> Jan-Bart’s going to write a note in a couple of minutes with
> information about the transition process. We’ll be hosting office
> hours this weekend as well, so anybody with questions can ask them
> here or turn up to talk with us on IRC.
>
> Thanks,
> Sue

> (G)AIM, Freenode, gchat, identi.ca, twitter, various social sites:
> mindspillage

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement *please read*

Michael Snow-5
As others have already said, it will be difficult to see Sue leave the
organization (but not the movement). I thank her for the years of effort
that have gone into first stabilizing and then building the Wikimedia
Foundation. While I don't predict that this transition will be
completely painless (that's okay, it's a good thing), I'm sure that it
will be much less painful than it might have been (that's also a good
thing).

During my time as chair of the Board of Trustees, I had some extended
conversations with Sue about succession planning, partly because this is
something the board always has to be thinking about, and partly because
at that point we would have faced tremendous challenges if Sue were to
leave and we were forced to find a successor. The issue has remained in
the back of my mind ever since. As I have watched the organization
develop, it has been good to observe how she has built the capacities of
those around her, bringing us to a point where I feel much more
comfortable that all of the good work can continue on without her
personal involvement. There's a long list of things Sue has accomplished
as Executive Director, but making an organization capable of surviving
her departure is a critical one.

One of the things I believe we all try to do with the work on our
projects is to leave things - a Wikipedia article, MediaWiki code, the
culture of our movement, everything - in better shape than we found it.
Sue has done that on an organizational scale, and impressively so. For
that, Sue, and all of the other things on which we have worked together,
thank you.

--Michael Snow

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement *please read*

Steven Walling
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Jan-Bart de Vreede <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> The Board has appointed a Transition Team which consists of the Chair of
> the Board of Trustees Kat Walsh,  and HR Committee member Alice Wiegand,
> Sue, Sue’s deputy and the Wikimedia Foundation’s Vice-President of Product
> and Engineering Erik Moeller, Geoff Brigham our General Counsel, and Gayle
> Karen Young, our Chief Talent and Culture Officer. I am the final member
> and am the Chair of the Transition Team, and Sue will be facilitating its
> work on my behalf.
>
> (In case you don’t know, non-profit organizations often have outgoing EDs
> support the recruitment of their successors. The Board is of course
> ultimately responsible for appointing the Executive Director, but we want
> our search to be supported by our staff members, including Sue. Sue , Erik,
> Geoff and Gayle have done a lot of hiring for the Wikimedia Foundation over
> the past number of years, and we know they will bring experience and wisdom
> to the process.)
>
> I will also be responsible for making this a transparent (where possible)
> and confidential (where needed) process and will set up the corresponding
> pages on Meta in the coming days (please give me some time to do so :).
> First step will be the office hours with Sue and myself this Saturday.

Thanks Jan-Bart.

I suggested to Gayle earlier this afternoon that it would be ideal for
staff and community members to have some place where we can write out
recommendations to the transition team about what kind of attributes and
experiences we'd like from a new ED. A simple Request for Comment, where
people can post thoughts, is likely to grow very large, but is one idea. In
any case, the huge advantage of having this public announcement far in
advance is clearly the opportunity for this kind of transparent feedback
for the Board on selecting a new ED, and in that light I just want to say
thanks to the Board and to Sue for doing this the right way.

Steven

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Announcement *please read*

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Hey

So I need a little time to set this up properly on meta (I want to get the structure right the first time round, but as we all know… that will probably not happen). But there will certainly be a good "suggestion" spot where people can leave thoughts and ideas (and discuss them!)

Should be done by saturday at the latest!

Jan-Bart

On Mar 27, 2013, at 11:58 PM, Steven Walling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Jan-Bart de Vreede <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> The Board has appointed a Transition Team which consists of the Chair of
>> the Board of Trustees Kat Walsh,  and HR Committee member Alice Wiegand,
>> Sue, Sue’s deputy and the Wikimedia Foundation’s Vice-President of Product
>> and Engineering Erik Moeller, Geoff Brigham our General Counsel, and Gayle
>> Karen Young, our Chief Talent and Culture Officer. I am the final member
>> and am the Chair of the Transition Team, and Sue will be facilitating its
>> work on my behalf.
>>
>> (In case you don’t know, non-profit organizations often have outgoing EDs
>> support the recruitment of their successors. The Board is of course
>> ultimately responsible for appointing the Executive Director, but we want
>> our search to be supported by our staff members, including Sue. Sue , Erik,
>> Geoff and Gayle have done a lot of hiring for the Wikimedia Foundation over
>> the past number of years, and we know they will bring experience and wisdom
>> to the process.)
>>
>> I will also be responsible for making this a transparent (where possible)
>> and confidential (where needed) process and will set up the corresponding
>> pages on Meta in the coming days (please give me some time to do so :).
>> First step will be the office hours with Sue and myself this Saturday.
>>

> Thanks Jan-Bart.
>
> I suggested to Gayle earlier this afternoon that it would be ideal for
> staff and community members to have some place where we can write out
> recommendations to the transition team about what kind of attributes and
> experiences we'd like from a new ED. A simple Request for Comment, where
> people can post thoughts, is likely to grow very large, but is one idea. In
> any case, the huge advantage of having this public announcement far in
> advance is clearly the opportunity for this kind of transparent feedback
> for the Board on selecting a new ED, and in that light I just want to say
> thanks to the Board and to Sue for doing this the right way.
>
> Steven

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

phoebe ayers-3
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Sue Gardner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Wikimedia community members,
>
> This is not an easy e-mail to write, and it’s been a very hard
> decision to make. But I’m writing to tell you that I’m planning to
> leave my position as the Executive Director of the Wikimedia
> Foundation.

Oh, Sue, if only you were posting that you were leaving forever
because everything about Wikipedia was terrible!!!!!111! -- if only
that, because then we would all know that you were really coming back
soon (though perhaps with a different username).

But no, you are as classy and thoughtful and open as always, and for
once that makes me so sad, because I will be very sad to see you go.
But! There is also a big exciting future ahead, for both you and for
Wikimedia, and I am sure that those paths will be intertwined for a
long time yet: there is work to be done.

with respect,
-- phoebe

<at> gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

Tonmoy Khan
Oh Sue, I still can't believe I am reading this mail! Though we will have
you for another 6 months, but it will be very hard to say goodbye. I
believe your departure would only mean your leaving the organization of WMF
and you will remain an indispensable part of the movement as ever. I am
confident that we, the free knowledge movement, will continue to benefit
from your good works ahead.

Gratitude for your tremendous achievements for the movement.

Ali Haidar Khan
On Mar 28, 2013 5:35 AM, "phoebe ayers" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Sue Gardner <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hello Wikimedia community members,
> >
> > This is not an easy e-mail to write, and it’s been a very hard
> > decision to make. But I’m writing to tell you that I’m planning to
> > leave my position as the Executive Director of the Wikimedia
> > Foundation.
>
> Oh, Sue, if only you were posting that you were leaving forever
> because everything about Wikipedia was terrible!!!!!111! -- if only
> that, because then we would all know that you were really coming back
> soon (though perhaps with a different username).
>
> But no, you are as classy and thoughtful and open as always, and for
> once that makes me so sad, because I will be very sad to see you go.
> But! There is also a big exciting future ahead, for both you and for
> Wikimedia, and I am sure that those paths will be intertwined for a
> long time yet: there is work to be done.
>
> with respect,
> -- phoebe
>
> --
> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
> <at> gmail.com *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

Isarra Yos
It's odd, but I think I'm glad - not so much that you're leaving, but
where you're going, what you intend to do... somehow I find that
comforting...

On 27/03/13 22:00, Sue Gardner wrote:

> [...]
> with you all, I’m proud of everything the Wikimedia movement is
> accomplishing, and I’m looking forward to our next six months
> together.
>
> Jan-Bart’s going to write a note in a couple of minutes with
> information about the transition process. We’ll be hosting office
> hours this weekend as well, so anybody with questions can ask them
> here or turn up to talk with us on IRC.
>
> Thanks,
> Sue
>

> --
> Sue Gardner
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> 415 839 6885 office
> 415 816 9967 cell
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!

-— Isarra

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

cro0016
We all started talking about "Sue Gardner for President 2016" on IRC today. I'd vote for her...

Sent from my iPhone

On 28/03/2013, at 6:35 PM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> together.
>>
>> Jan-Bart’s going to write a note in a couple of minutes with
>> information about the transition process. We’ll be hosting office
>> hours this weekend as well, so anybody with questions can ask them
>> here or turn up to talk with us on IRC.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sue
>>

>> --
>> Sue Gardner
>> Executive Director
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> 415 839 6885 office
>> 415 816 9967 cell
>>
>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
>> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>>
>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

> -— Isarra

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

Jane Darnell
That's big news. I agree with Jan-Bart, Phoebe (thanks for the laugh),
Manuel, and Isarra. In my own editor's corner of Wikipedia, I have
increasingly come up against the limits of Wikipedia against
international copyright law on the one hand, and the "inability to
express my concerns in 160 bytes or less", on the other. It has made
me feel increasingly bewildered as to how to proceed.
Go for it Sue, you are awesome!

2013/3/28, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> together.
>>
>> Jan-Bart’s going to write a note in a couple of minutes with
>> information about the transition process. We’ll be hosting office
>> hours this weekend as well, so anybody with questions can ask them
>> here or turn up to talk with us on IRC.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sue
>>

>> --
>> Sue Gardner
>> Executive Director
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> 415 839 6885 office
>> 415 816 9967 cell
>>
>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
>> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>>
>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

> -— Isarra

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

Виктория-6
 I appreciate what Sue did for the Wikimedia Movement very much, it must
have been very draining and none of us can work without a rest. However, I
cannot help but wonder what other position can be better for fighting
consumerisation, walling-in and freedom curtailment of the Internet than
the position of executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Also very recently the aims of WM Foundation were changed - according to
Sue's plan and pressure - from the movement development to the movement
administrative support, which caused some friction with active wikimedians
and now the Foundation is left to do what? To continue the transformation
into yet another grant dishing organization? Or to change the direction
once again according to  a new director’s plan?

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Isarra Yos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> together.
>>
>> Jan-Bart’s going to write a note in a couple of minutes with
>> information about the transition process. We’ll be hosting office
>> hours this weekend as well, so anybody with questions can ask them
>> here or turn up to talk with us on IRC.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sue
>>

>> --
>> Sue Gardner
>> Executive Director
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> 415 839 6885 office
>> 415 816 9967 cell
>>
>> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
>> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>>
>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

> -— Isarra

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

Mathias Schindler-2
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Steven Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We all started talking about "Sue Gardner for President 2016" on IRC today. I'd vote for her...

In order to do so, there are two minor prerequisites

a) We must get rid of the clause in Section 1 of Article Two of the
United States Constitution ("natural born citizen"). A quick look in
Wikipedia tells me that really no-one has any emotional attachment to
this clause and there have been no previous disputes over the
eligibility of candidates for this office.

or

b) We must overthrow the political system in Canada and change the
monarchy into a republic that actually has a President so that Sue can
run for it.

Mathias

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

David Gerard-2
On 28 March 2013 09:52, Mathias Schindler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> b) We must overthrow the political system in Canada and change the
> monarchy into a republic that actually has a President so that Sue can
> run for it.

There's always running on the "My name is not Stephen Harper" platform ...

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

K. Peachey-2
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Mathias Schindler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Steven Zhang <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We all started talking about "Sue Gardner for President 2016" on IRC today. I'd vote for her...
>
> In order to do so, there are two minor prerequisites
>
> a) We must get rid of the clause in Section 1 of Article Two of the
> United States Constitution ("natural born citizen"). A quick look in
> Wikipedia tells me that really no-one has any emotional attachment to
> this clause and there have been no previous disputes over the
> eligibility of candidates for this office.
>
> or
>
> b) We must overthrow the political system in Canada and change the
> monarchy into a republic that actually has a President so that Sue can
> run for it.
>
> Mathias

Sue Gardner, Prime Minister of Australia.

especially with our current options it's very doable.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

Craig Franklin
Sue DID seem to enjoy herself when she was here recently.  Hell, I'd settle
for Premier of Queensland at this rate. Whaddaya say, Sue?

Cheers,
Craig
On 28/03/2013 8:02 PM, "K. Peachey" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Mathias Schindler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM, Steven Zhang <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> We all started talking about "Sue Gardner for President 2016" on IRC
> today. I'd vote for her...
> >
> > In order to do so, there are two minor prerequisites
> >
> > a) We must get rid of the clause in Section 1 of Article Two of the
> > United States Constitution ("natural born citizen"). A quick look in
> > Wikipedia tells me that really no-one has any emotional attachment to
> > this clause and there have been no previous disputes over the
> > eligibility of candidates for this office.
> >
> > or
> >
> > b) We must overthrow the political system in Canada and change the
> > monarchy into a republic that actually has a President so that Sue can
> > run for it.
> >
> > Mathias
>
> Sue Gardner, Prime Minister of Australia.
>
> especially with our current options it's very doable.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

Itzik Edri
As others have wrote, it is still not a farewell email. But there is no
doubt that Sue, despite past disagreements we had, is an asset to
the foundation and our movement. And it's going to be a very big challenge
to find someone who will replace her. I'll wait with the real farewell
email :)

Itzik,
WMIL

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM, Sue Gardner <[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> accomplishing, and I’m looking forward to our next six months
> together.
>
> Jan-Bart’s going to write a note in a couple of minutes with
> information about the transition process. We’ll be hosting office
> hours this weekend as well, so anybody with questions can ask them
> here or turn up to talk with us on IRC.
>
> Thanks,
> Sue
>

> --
> Sue Gardner
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> 415 839 6885 office
> 415 816 9967 cell
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge.  Help us make it a reality!
>
> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Announcement *please read*

Dariusz Jemielniak-3
huh. I understand and respect the reasoning perfectly well, and yet I can't
help a feeling that WIkimedia movement is going to suffer a major loss. Sue
has been pivotal in making WMF and the movement successfully grow to where
we are now. It will be really hard to find anyone nearly as competent and
able to make change and development happen.

One piece of thought (without looking much into the technicalities):
Perhaps the movement could really benefit from an ex-exec of this caliber
getting a new seat on the Board.

best,

dariusz