[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

Katy Love
tl;dr:[0] Please join the community review for six annual plan grant
proposals requesting USD $1.5 million in movement funds. Add your questions
and comments to the proposals until April 30!

Hello Wikimedians,

Round 2 of the Annual Plan Grants program [1] is underway, and the
Community Review process is open for your comments and questions. In this
round, six proposals were submitted to the Funds Dissemination Committee,
by the Centre for Internet and Society, Wikimedia Armenia, Wikimédia
France, Wikimedia Italia, Wikimedia Norge, and Wikimedia ZA -- with total
requests of USD $1,531,687. [2] These six proposals, developed based on the
organizations' annual plans, include programmatic and operational costs,
and are requests for general funding.

This year (2014-2015), the FDC has USD $6 million to allocate to movement
organizations to help advance our strategic goals. In Round 1, $3,817,956
was allocated to movement organizations, [3] leaving $2,182,044 for Round
2.  In mid-May, the Funds Dissemination Committee will meet face-to-face,
prior to the Wikimedia conference, to deliberate on and then make
recommendations to the WMF Board of Trustees about how to grant funds to
these organizations, in order to achieve mission-related impact.

We invite you and all other community members to review any or all of the
proposals, and to share your thoughts and ask questions on the discussion
pages of the proposals. General questions or comments can also be made in
the General comments section. [4] The community review period lasts until
April 30, 2015. Applicants are also expected to respond to comments and
questions during this period, although they are not able to change the
proposal form itself after the submission date. The FDC will review the
discussion pages and will use the questions and comments as one of their
many inputs into the decision-making process. To join other community
consultations, visit the noticeboard. [5]

You can join in by reviewing the proposals [2] and adding your comments on
the discussion pages. Proposals are available in English, but comments and
questions can be made in any language. As a member of the Wikimedia
community, your review helps make the grantmaking process more transparent,
collaborative and robust. Feedback and questions from the community are an
important input into the proposal review process, and the FDC considers
them seriously.

The major milestones for the rest of this round is as follows: [6]

* Community review: 1 April 2015 - 30 April 2015
* Staff assessments published: 8 May 2015
* FDC deliberations: 12-14 May 2015
* FDC recommendation published: by 1 June 2015
* Appeals or complaints submitted: by 8 June 2015
* Board of Trustees decision: by 1 July 2015
* Start of new grant terms: 1 July 2015

Please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or feedback about
the process. You can reach the FDC staff at [hidden email]

Warm regards,

Katy Love

Senior Program Officer
Funds Dissemination Committee
Wikimedia Foundation

[0] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Too_long;_didn%27t_read
[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Information
[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2
[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_portal/FDC_recommendations/2014-2015_round1
[4]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2/Community_review#General_comments
[5] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Current_community_consultations
[6] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Information#Calendar

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

MZMcBride-2
Katy Love wrote:

>tl;dr:[0] Please join the community review for six annual plan grant
>proposals requesting USD $1.5 million in movement funds. Add your
>questions
>and comments to the proposals until April 30!
>
>Hello Wikimedians,
>
>Round 2 of the Annual Plan Grants program [1] is underway, and the
>Community Review process is open for your comments and questions. In this
>round, six proposals were submitted to the Funds Dissemination Committee,
>by the Centre for Internet and Society, Wikimedia Armenia, Wikimédia
>France, Wikimedia Italia, Wikimedia Norge, and Wikimedia ZA -- with total
>requests of USD $1,531,687. [2] These six proposals, developed based on
>the organizations' annual plans, include programmatic and operational
>costs, and are requests for general funding.

Hi.

I've looked through some of this briefly and I'm still unclear what an
annual plan grant is, exactly.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG and your e-mail directed me to
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Information>, but I'm still
not totally sure I get it. Are annual plan grants open to anyone or just
affiliated groups?

I took a look at this page:
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2>.

It seems like annual plan grants are (mostly?) for certain types of
Wikimedia chapters? Are the grants considered one-time or recurring?
Perhaps more specifically: how are the funds distributed throughout a
year? I also thought annual plan grant might mean that the money is
specifically intended to fund annual plans of other organizations, but I'm
struggling to find a clear definition on Meta-Wiki at the moment.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

Sydney Poore
This page explains the eligibility.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Eligibility
Sydney
On Apr 8, 2015 12:09 AM, "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Katy Love wrote:
> >tl;dr:[0] Please join the community review for six annual plan grant
> >proposals requesting USD $1.5 million in movement funds. Add your
> >questions
> >and comments to the proposals until April 30!
> >
> >Hello Wikimedians,
> >
> >Round 2 of the Annual Plan Grants program [1] is underway, and the
> >Community Review process is open for your comments and questions. In this
> >round, six proposals were submitted to the Funds Dissemination Committee,
> >by the Centre for Internet and Society, Wikimedia Armenia, Wikimédia
> >France, Wikimedia Italia, Wikimedia Norge, and Wikimedia ZA -- with total
> >requests of USD $1,531,687. [2] These six proposals, developed based on
> >the organizations' annual plans, include programmatic and operational
> >costs, and are requests for general funding.
>
> Hi.
>
> I've looked through some of this briefly and I'm still unclear what an
> annual plan grant is, exactly.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG and your e-mail directed me to
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Information>, but I'm still
> not totally sure I get it. Are annual plan grants open to anyone or just
> affiliated groups?
>
> I took a look at this page:
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2>.
>
> It seems like annual plan grants are (mostly?) for certain types of
> Wikimedia chapters? Are the grants considered one-time or recurring?
> Perhaps more specifically: how are the funds distributed throughout a
> year? I also thought annual plan grant might mean that the money is
> specifically intended to fund annual plans of other organizations, but I'm
> struggling to find a clear definition on Meta-Wiki at the moment.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

Aleksey Bilogur
APGs are the way that chapters and thorgs request funding from the
Wikimedia Foundation. Usergroups are ineligible. See for instance:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2013-10-23/News_and_notes

On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 12:09 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Katy Love wrote:
> >tl;dr:[0] Please join the community review for six annual plan grant
> >proposals requesting USD $1.5 million in movement funds. Add your
> >questions
> >and comments to the proposals until April 30!
> >
> >Hello Wikimedians,
> >
> >Round 2 of the Annual Plan Grants program [1] is underway, and the
> >Community Review process is open for your comments and questions. In this
> >round, six proposals were submitted to the Funds Dissemination Committee,
> >by the Centre for Internet and Society, Wikimedia Armenia, Wikimédia
> >France, Wikimedia Italia, Wikimedia Norge, and Wikimedia ZA -- with total
> >requests of USD $1,531,687. [2] These six proposals, developed based on
> >the organizations' annual plans, include programmatic and operational
> >costs, and are requests for general funding.
>
> Hi.
>
> I've looked through some of this briefly and I'm still unclear what an
> annual plan grant is, exactly.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG and your e-mail directed me to
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Information>, but I'm still
> not totally sure I get it. Are annual plan grants open to anyone or just
> affiliated groups?
>
> I took a look at this page:
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2>.
>
> It seems like annual plan grants are (mostly?) for certain types of
> Wikimedia chapters? Are the grants considered one-time or recurring?
> Perhaps more specifically: how are the funds distributed throughout a
> year? I also thought annual plan grant might mean that the money is
> specifically intended to fund annual plans of other organizations, but I'm
> struggling to find a clear definition on Meta-Wiki at the moment.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

Pine W
Just noting that annual plans can go through APG or PEG, but the
qualificattions and scope are different. Some chapers choose to continue
with PEG funding becuase it is more flexible. The main limiter on PEG
funding is that it  will not pay for full time permanent staff; however
according to Meta it may pay for part time or temporary staff.

APGs and PEGs for annual plans are usually recurring, but PEG funds a
variety of programs in addition to annual plans.

This is the kind of conversation that I hope Luis and his team will be
considering holistically in the next several months.

HTH,
Pine
On Apr 7, 2015 9:09 PM, "MZMcBride" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Katy Love wrote:
> >tl;dr:[0] Please join the community review for six annual plan grant
> >proposals requesting USD $1.5 million in movement funds. Add your
> >questions
> >and comments to the proposals until April 30!
> >
> >Hello Wikimedians,
> >
> >Round 2 of the Annual Plan Grants program [1] is underway, and the
> >Community Review process is open for your comments and questions. In this
> >round, six proposals were submitted to the Funds Dissemination Committee,
> >by the Centre for Internet and Society, Wikimedia Armenia, Wikimédia
> >France, Wikimedia Italia, Wikimedia Norge, and Wikimedia ZA -- with total
> >requests of USD $1,531,687. [2] These six proposals, developed based on
> >the organizations' annual plans, include programmatic and operational
> >costs, and are requests for general funding.
>
> Hi.
>
> I've looked through some of this briefly and I'm still unclear what an
> annual plan grant is, exactly.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG and your e-mail directed me to
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Information>, but I'm still
> not totally sure I get it. Are annual plan grants open to anyone or just
> affiliated groups?
>
> I took a look at this page:
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2>.
>
> It seems like annual plan grants are (mostly?) for certain types of
> Wikimedia chapters? Are the grants considered one-time or recurring?
> Perhaps more specifically: how are the funds distributed throughout a
> year? I also thought annual plan grant might mean that the money is
> specifically intended to fund annual plans of other organizations, but I'm
> struggling to find a clear definition on Meta-Wiki at the moment.
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

Luis Villa
On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just noting that annual plans can go through APG or PEG, but the
> qualificattions and scope are different. Some chapers choose to continue
> with PEG funding becuase it is more flexible. The main limiter on PEG
> funding is that it  will not pay for full time permanent staff; however
> according to Meta it may pay for part time or temporary staff.
>
> APGs and PEGs for annual plans are usually recurring, but PEG funds a
> variety of programs in addition to annual plans.
>
> This is the kind of conversation that I hope Luis and his team will be
> considering holistically in the next several months.

Katy of course is part of my team, so we're here, having a conversation :)
Can you elaborate a bit, Pine? You've done a good job answering MZ's
question, so I'm not clear what conversation you meant to highlight -
simply suggestions on how to improve the pages MZ linked to, or...?

Luis

--
Luis Villa
Sr. Director of Community Engagement

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

Pine W
Hi Luis (wow, I didn't expect to see you here at this hour!)

I was referring to the qualifications, benefits and limitations of the
different kinds of grant programs. The way that they're structured provides
some ups and downs for affiliates when we have the option to choose among
grant types. FDC/APG's structure recieved a lot of attention in the past
few years. I think it would be good to take a step back and look
collectively at the grants programs, and to think about how to engineer
them with today's environment, goals and tools for affiliates, small teams
and individual grantees in mind; and to think about transition points among
grant types.

I would love to talk with you more about this at the Wikimedia Conference
if possible (:

Pine
On Apr 7, 2015 11:20 PM, "Luis Villa" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Just noting that annual plans can go through APG or PEG, but the
> > qualificattions and scope are different. Some chapers choose to continue
> > with PEG funding becuase it is more flexible. The main limiter on PEG
> > funding is that it  will not pay for full time permanent staff; however
> > according to Meta it may pay for part time or temporary staff.
> >
> > APGs and PEGs for annual plans are usually recurring, but PEG funds a
> > variety of programs in addition to annual plans.
> >
> > This is the kind of conversation that I hope Luis and his team will be
> > considering holistically in the next several months.
> >

> Katy of course is part of my team, so we're here, having a conversation :)
> Can you elaborate a bit, Pine? You've done a good job answering MZ's
> question, so I'm not clear what conversation you meant to highlight -
> simply suggestions on how to improve the pages MZ linked to, or...?
>
> Luis
>

> --
> Luis Villa
> Sr. Director of Community Engagement
> Wikimedia Foundation
> *Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely share
> in the sum of all knowledge.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

Christophe Henner
Hey Pine,

The Advisory group to the FDC actually made that very proposal.

To have a body who would look At the grant system as a whole and not juste
At one of its part.

Not sure if that would ever be implemented sadly.

Best
Le 8 avr. 2015 8:34 AM, "Pine W" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi Luis (wow, I didn't expect to see you here at this hour!)
>
> I was referring to the qualifications, benefits and limitations of the
> different kinds of grant programs. The way that they're structured provides
> some ups and downs for affiliates when we have the option to choose among
> grant types. FDC/APG's structure recieved a lot of attention in the past
> few years. I think it would be good to take a step back and look
> collectively at the grants programs, and to think about how to engineer
> them with today's environment, goals and tools for affiliates, small teams
> and individual grantees in mind; and to think about transition points among
> grant types.
>
> I would love to talk with you more about this at the Wikimedia Conference
> if possible (:
>
> Pine
> On Apr 7, 2015 11:20 PM, "Luis Villa" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Just noting that annual plans can go through APG or PEG, but the
> > > qualificattions and scope are different. Some chapers choose to
> continue
> > > with PEG funding becuase it is more flexible. The main limiter on PEG
> > > funding is that it  will not pay for full time permanent staff; however
> > > according to Meta it may pay for part time or temporary staff.
> > >
> > > APGs and PEGs for annual plans are usually recurring, but PEG funds a
> > > variety of programs in addition to annual plans.
> > >
> > > This is the kind of conversation that I hope Luis and his team will be
> > > considering holistically in the next several months.
> > >

> > Katy of course is part of my team, so we're here, having a conversation
> :)
> > Can you elaborate a bit, Pine? You've done a good job answering MZ's
> > question, so I'm not clear what conversation you meant to highlight -
> > simply suggestions on how to improve the pages MZ linked to, or...?
> >
> > Luis
> >

> > --
> > Luis Villa
> > Sr. Director of Community Engagement
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > *Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely
> share
> > in the sum of all knowledge.*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

Cristian Consonni
Hi Pine,

> I was referring to the qualifications, benefits and limitations of the
> different kinds of grant programs. The way that they're structured provides
> some ups and downs for affiliates when we have the option to choose among
> grant types.

A quick recap of the existing grant programs is available here:
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Start>

In particular, a selected quote about the different types of programs:
* Travel and Participation Support: travel funding to participate in
mission-aligned events.
* Individual Engagement Grants: comprehensive support for individual
and small team projects focused on online impact.
* Project and Event Grants: expenses related to organizing events and
running projects. For individuals, groups and organizations. [The
Grant Advisory Committee (aka GAC) works in the scope of these grants]
* Annual Plan Grants: funding the annual budgets and mission
objectives of affiliated organizations. [The Fund Dissemination
Committee (aka FDC) works in the scope of these grants]

> FDC/APG's structure recieved a lot of attention in the past
> few years. I think it would be good to take a step back and look
> collectively at the grants programs, and to think about how to engineer
> them with today's environment, goals and tools for affiliates, small teams
> and individual grantees in mind; and to think about transition points among
> grant types.

Katy has for sure more details, but the APG/FDC process has built-in
from the start the fact that when the staff reaches out to a potential
applicant there is an initial discussion and assessment to see if the
APG is the best route for the given applicant to apply for funds.
There have been cases in the past (on top of my mind, Wikimedia
Hungary) of entities that have decided to go through the PEG/GAC
instead of the APG/FDC after the initial discussions with the FDC
staff and the committee.

So, possibly this is not completely formalized but as a process it
exists and there are precedents.

> I would love to talk with you more about this at the Wikimedia Conference
> if possible (:

> The Advisory group to the FDC actually made that very proposal.
>
> To have a body who would look At the grant system as a whole and not juste
> At one of its part.
>
> Not sure if that would ever be implemented sadly.

It seems a most reasonable idea, my 2cents would be not to rehaul
completely the structure of grants because having a structure that is
stable enough (i.e. that is used for some years) is useful to compare
data between different applicants and provide some historical
analysis. (cfr.
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Evaluation/Evaluation_at_the_Wikimedia_Foundation>)
and if I recall correctly up to date there have been the possibility
to have just one general impact report so far (for this you need
completed grants so we have those up 2013/2014).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Ask questions, give feedback on six annual plan grant proposals for the FDC!

Siko Bouterse
On Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 7:34 AM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Luis (wow, I didn't expect to see you here at this hour!)
>
> I was referring to the qualifications, benefits and limitations of the
> different kinds of grant programs. The way that they're structured provides
> some ups and downs for affiliates when we have the option to choose among
> grant types. FDC/APG's structure recieved a lot of attention in the past
> few years. I think it would be good to take a step back and look
> collectively at the grants programs, and to think about how to engineer
> them with today's environment, goals and tools for affiliates, small teams
> and individual grantees in mind; and to think about transition points among
> grant types.
>
> I would love to talk with you more about this at the Wikimedia Conference
> if possible (:

As WMF continues to focus on "integration" as a major theme in 2015, we'll
certainly be giving the big picture of all our grantmaking structures,
impact assessments, etc some further thought. Any updates to grant programs
would happen in consult with the committees and broader community, so you
can expect that the program officers and I will be having more
conversations on this topic with you all over the coming year (no sudden
changes, lots of measured thought).
Cheers,
Siko

> Pine
> On Apr 7, 2015 11:20 PM, "Luis Villa" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Just noting that annual plans can go through APG or PEG, but the
> > > qualificattions and scope are different. Some chapers choose to
> continue
> > > with PEG funding becuase it is more flexible. The main limiter on PEG
> > > funding is that it  will not pay for full time permanent staff; however
> > > according to Meta it may pay for part time or temporary staff.
> > >
> > > APGs and PEGs for annual plans are usually recurring, but PEG funds a
> > > variety of programs in addition to annual plans.
> > >
> > > This is the kind of conversation that I hope Luis and his team will be
> > > considering holistically in the next several months.
> > >

> > Katy of course is part of my team, so we're here, having a conversation
> :)
> > Can you elaborate a bit, Pine? You've done a good job answering MZ's
> > question, so I'm not clear what conversation you meant to highlight -
> > simply suggestions on how to improve the pages MZ linked to, or...?
> >
> > Luis
> >

> > --
> > Luis Villa
> > Sr. Director of Community Engagement
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > *Working towards a world in which every single human being can freely
> share
> > in the sum of all knowledge.*

Siko Bouterse
Director of Community Resources