[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

Philippe Beaudette-3
Hello all,

Five years ago, I was part of the work on a strategic plan for the
Wikimedia movement.  Much has changed since then.  Now, I’m back...and
we’re working on strategic direction again.  :-)

Today, we're kicking-off a two-week community consultation about the future
of Wikimedia.

I hope you'll participate in the online discussion about new internet
trends and how Wikimedia responds to these changes, which will help to
shape the future of Wikimedia.

The discussion is on meta, at

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2015_Strategy/Community_consultation

For more background on this consultation, check out this blog post:

http://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/02/23/strategy-consultation/

Your vision matters.  I look forward to hearing from you as we chart the
way forward.

Regards,

Philippe Beaudette

Director, Community Advocacy

Wikimedia Foundation


*Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>

_______________________________________________
Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately directed to Wikimedia-l, the public mailing list of the Wikimedia community. For more information about Wikimedia-l:
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
_______________________________________________
WikimediaAnnounce-l mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaannounce-l

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

Pine W
Hi Phillpe,

Thanks for this.

What is are the milestones and timeline for the planning process?

How will the strategic plan relate to the next WMF Annual Plan?

How will the Annual Plan be developed for the 2015-2016 fiscal year?

Thanks,

Pine
On Feb 23, 2015 12:14 PM, "Philippe Beaudette" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Five years ago, I was part of the work on a strategic plan for the
> Wikimedia movement.  Much has changed since then.  Now, I’m back...and
> we’re working on strategic direction again.  :-)
>
> Today, we're kicking-off a two-week community consultation about the
> future of Wikimedia.
>
> I hope you'll participate in the online discussion about new internet
> trends and how Wikimedia responds to these changes, which will help to
> shape the future of Wikimedia.
>
> The discussion is on meta, at
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2015_Strategy/Community_consultation
>
> For more background on this consultation, check out this blog post:
>
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2015/02/23/strategy-consultation/
>
> Your vision matters.  I look forward to hearing from you as we chart the
> way forward.
>
> Regards,
>
> Philippe Beaudette
>
> Director, Community Advocacy
>
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
>
> *Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
> Foundation, Inc.
> T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
> <https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately
> directed to Wikimedia-l, the public mailing list of the Wikimedia
> community. For more information about Wikimedia-l:
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l
> _______________________________________________
> WikimediaAnnounce-l mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimediaannounce-l
>
>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

MZMcBride-2
In reply to this post by Philippe Beaudette-3
Philippe Beaudette wrote:
>Five years ago, I was part of the work on a strategic plan for the
>Wikimedia movement.  Much has changed since then.  Now, I’m back...and
>we’re working on strategic direction again.  :-)

Hi.

I distinctly remember you swearing not to be involved in the next
strategic plan. I may even have logs of such statements. What has changed?

>Today, we're kicking off a two-week community consultation about the
>future of Wikimedia.

No, you're discussing the future of the Wikimedia Foundation. Wikimedia is
much bigger and more important.

>Your vision matters.  I look forward to hearing from you as we chart the
>way forward.

I'd pretty strongly prefer that you not be involved in this effort except
as a regular community member. I thought you felt similarly.

MZMcBride



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

Craig Franklin
On 24 February 2015 at 09:40, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> >Five years ago, I was part of the work on a strategic plan for the
> >Wikimedia movement.  Much has changed since then.  Now, I’m back...and
> >we’re working on strategic direction again.  :-)
>
> Hi.
>
> I distinctly remember you swearing not to be involved in the next
> strategic plan. I may even have logs of such statements. What has changed?
>
I'm guessing that Philippe's boss has informed him that he's going to be
working on it whether he likes it or not ;-)

Cheers,
Craig
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

Maggie Dennis
You could be on to something there, Craig. :) I think it's fair to say that
somebody might change his mind in five years for all kinds of reasons -
including being asked nicely. This process is obviously geared to differ
widely from the last. Hopefully it will be a good approach for everyone.

In terms of the nature of the conversation, it is about the future of the
movement. There's already quite a lot of feedback on the talk page from
people who seem happy to discuss exactly that. If you want to join in
specifically to share your thoughts on the future of the Wikimedia
Foundation, MZ, that would be welcome, too.

Maggie


On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Craig Franklin <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 24 February 2015 at 09:40, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> > >Five years ago, I was part of the work on a strategic plan for the
> > >Wikimedia movement.  Much has changed since then.  Now, I’m back...and
> > >we’re working on strategic direction again.  :-)
> >
> > Hi.
> >
> > I distinctly remember you swearing not to be involved in the next
> > strategic plan. I may even have logs of such statements. What has
> changed?
> >
> I'm guessing that Philippe's boss has informed him that he's going to be
> working on it whether he likes it or not ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Craig
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>



--
Maggie Dennis
Senior Community Advocate
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

Romaine Wiki-2
I think it is great that this is organised this way. To me it sounds a good
idea to have periodical this kind of consultations. It is a dialogue with
the community.

Romaine

2015-02-24 1:56 GMT+01:00 Maggie Dennis <[hidden email]>:

> You could be on to something there, Craig. :) I think it's fair to say that
> somebody might change his mind in five years for all kinds of reasons -
> including being asked nicely. This process is obviously geared to differ
> widely from the last. Hopefully it will be a good approach for everyone.
>
> In terms of the nature of the conversation, it is about the future of the
> movement. There's already quite a lot of feedback on the talk page from
> people who seem happy to discuss exactly that. If you want to join in
> specifically to share your thoughts on the future of the Wikimedia
> Foundation, MZ, that would be welcome, too.
>
> Maggie
>
>
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Craig Franklin <[hidden email]
> >
> wrote:
>
> > On 24 February 2015 at 09:40, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Philippe Beaudette wrote:
> > > >Five years ago, I was part of the work on a strategic plan for the
> > > >Wikimedia movement.  Much has changed since then.  Now, I’m back...and
> > > >we’re working on strategic direction again.  :-)
> > >
> > > Hi.
> > >
> > > I distinctly remember you swearing not to be involved in the next
> > > strategic plan. I may even have logs of such statements. What has
> > changed?
> > >
> > I'm guessing that Philippe's boss has informed him that he's going to be
> > working on it whether he likes it or not ;-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Craig
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Maggie Dennis
> Senior Community Advocate
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

ido ivri
In reply to this post by Philippe Beaudette-3
Without referring to who is involved and who isn't - -

Five years ago, I was part of the work on a strategic plan for the
> Wikimedia movement.  Much has changed since then.  Now, I’m back...and
> we’re working on strategic direction again.  :-)
> Today, we're kicking-off a two-week community consultation about the future
> of Wikimedia.
> I hope you'll participate in the online discussion about new internet
> trends and how Wikimedia responds to these changes, which will help to
> shape the future of Wikimedia.


Why only these two questions? And why only two weeks? I fear this is not
really a consultation but a survey.

Also: Is the strategy for 2015? 2015-2016? Longer?

If the process has already begun, I wish the community (or at least a few
stakeholders outside WMF staff and BoT) were more involved, and the process
was transparent. After all, we're all learners here...

I don't want to sound negative, I'm all for thinking about lofty goals and
how to better prepare for the future. But this seems to me the wrong way to
go about it. Still, I answered and hope the outcomes are useful somehow...

--
-Ido

"There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary,
and those who don't."
(unknown)
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

MZMcBride-2
In reply to this post by Maggie Dennis
Maggie Dennis wrote:

>You could be on to something there, Craig. :) I think it's fair to say
>that somebody might change his mind in five years for all kinds of
>reasons - including being asked nicely. This process is obviously geared
>to differ widely from the last. Hopefully it will be a good approach for
>everyone.
>
>In terms of the nature of the conversation, it is about the future of the
>movement. There's already quite a lot of feedback on the talk page from
>people who seem happy to discuss exactly that. If you want to join in
>specifically to share your thoughts on the future of the Wikimedia
>Foundation, MZ, that would be welcome, too.

Why would I get involved in a process with somebody who can't keep his
word? It would lend legitimacy to the process and allow Philippe and
others to manipulate the involvement into a bold claim of community
consultation ("X users posted to the talk page, see!").

I try to learn from past mistakes. I was fairly involved in the last
strategic planning process and largely due to that experience I don't
trust Philippe to be involved again. My two questions remain unanswered.

If you want to pretend as though he's being coerced, that's your business,
though I personally find this view pretty disrespectful. Are you seriously
suggesting that if Philippe said "no, I'd rather not be involved this
time" that he would be forced? What would that say about his boss?

MZMcBride



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

Risker
On 24 February 2015 at 09:19, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Maggie Dennis wrote:
> >You could be on to something there, Craig. :) I think it's fair to say
> >that somebody might change his mind in five years for all kinds of
> >reasons - including being asked nicely. This process is obviously geared
> >to differ widely from the last. Hopefully it will be a good approach for
> >everyone.
> >
> >In terms of the nature of the conversation, it is about the future of the
> >movement. There's already quite a lot of feedback on the talk page from
> >people who seem happy to discuss exactly that. If you want to join in
> >specifically to share your thoughts on the future of the Wikimedia
> >Foundation, MZ, that would be welcome, too.
>
> Why would I get involved in a process with somebody who can't keep his
> word? It would lend legitimacy to the process and allow Philippe and
> others to manipulate the involvement into a bold claim of community
> consultation ("X users posted to the talk page, see!").
>
> I try to learn from past mistakes. I was fairly involved in the last
> strategic planning process and largely due to that experience I don't
> trust Philippe to be involved again. My two questions remain unanswered.
>
> If you want to pretend as though he's being coerced, that's your business,
> though I personally find this view pretty disrespectful. Are you seriously
> suggesting that if Philippe said "no, I'd rather not be involved this
> time" that he would be forced? What would that say about his boss?
>
> What I'd say to that, MZM, is that there's no evidence that the previous
strategic consultation was a mistake; it was just not a very positive
experience for the person co-ordinating it.  I'd say that there is good
evidence of "learning" because it's not being done the same way this time.
I'd say that any organization that expects to be around for many years to
come should be periodically reviewing their overall strategy and focusing
on key issues, and that it's particularly important for organizations to do
so when they have changes to  upper level leadership and to their operating
environment. I'd say that, looking at the roles and responsibilities within
the WMF at this time, it's pretty obvious that community outreach on
strategic planning most appropriately falls into the scope of the Director
of Community Advocacy.  I'd suggest to you that he's not doing the same
thing the same way a second time, and that your suggestion that he "can't
keep his word" is a rather overblown reaction to a major change in the
process in which you seem to have invested a lot of yourself in the past.

I have no real thoughts about whether this very different way of seeking
community input into strategy is better or worse.  I do hope that you'll
participate, because it seems to be an area where you have a lot of
thoughts.

Risker/Anne
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

Fæ
In reply to this post by ido ivri
On 24 February 2015 at 01:25, ido ivri <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Today, we're kicking-off a two-week community consultation about the future
>> of Wikimedia.
> Why only these two questions? And why only two weeks? I fear this is not
> really a consultation but a survey.

+1. With a two week window once every "X years", this is not a consultation.

Even my local Council do a better job on planned consultation on how
to spend the tax-payer's money compared to this, and they ignore
community suggestions 97% of the time.

Fae
--
[hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Join the Wikimedia strategy consultation

Pine W
I largely agree with Risker.

I was not involved in the last consultation. I'm taking a wait and see
approach with this one.

My hard-earned experience on this mailing list is that an approach of
problem solving rather than stone throwing tends to get more cooperation
and better results. I still get annoyed from time to time, but I try to
channel that energy in ways that will get results.

I will have a more informed view of this strategy process when my earlier
questions are answered.

Cheers,

Pine
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>