[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] [PRESS RELEASE] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors

Jay Walsh
(this announcement is also posted online at
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Sue_Gardner_joins_Global_Voices_board_of_directors)

Wikimedia Foundation Executive Director Sue Gardner named to the Board
of Directors at Global Voices

SAN FRANCISCO -- January 16, 2013 -- The Wikimedia Foundation is happy
to announce that Sue Gardner has been named to the Board of Directors
at Global Voices. Global Voices is a community of more than 1300
authors and translators in dozens of countries around the world that
publishes reports from global citizen journalists, with an emphasis on
voices that aren't ordinarily heard in major international media.

“Global Voices does great work, and I’m really looking forward to
sharing experiences and expertise with the people involved there.”
said Sue Gardner, Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. “The
Wikimedia Foundation and Global Voices hold a lot of the same values,
and for me the most important is our shared commitment to freedom of
expression. The world needs strong voices advocating for internet
users’ right to express themselves and to access information without
impediment.”

Global Voices works at the intersections of citizen media, information
production, and volunteer communities. It was founded in 2005 by
anti-censorship advocate and former journalist Rebecca MacKinnon and
technologist and Africa expert Ethan Zuckerman, while they were both
fellows at the Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard
University.

“Sue brings to Global Voices a unique combination of knowledge and
experience that is particularly beneficial to the organisation. We're
really happy to be working with Sue, learning from her experience at
the Wikimedia Foundation,” said Ivan Sigal, Executive Director of
Global Voices. “We're also looking forward to having her presence and
creative thinking enlivening our board conversations.”

The Global Voices nine-member board meets four times per year, and has
been an active, engaged and vital part of their community since its
inception. The board is composed of its two founders, three community
representatives and four external members.

About Global Voices

http://globalvoicesonline.org/about/
http://globalvoicesonline.org/about/board-of-directors/

Global Voices aggregates, curates, and amplifies the global
conversation online - shining light on places and people other media
outlets often ignore. Our international team of volunteer authors,
regional editors and translators are guides to global citizen media.
Every day, they provide dozens of links to interesting blog posts,
social networks, podcasts, photographs and videos from their regions,
and translate, analyze, and explain what’s happening around the world
in citizen media.

Press contact
Ivan Sigal
Executive Director
[hidden email]
Tel: +1 202 361 2712

About the Wikimedia Foundation

http://wikimediafoundation.org
http://blog.wikimedia.org

The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix,
Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation
receive more than 483 million unique visitors per month, making them
the fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore, November
2012). Available in 285 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 24
million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of
roughly 80,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the
Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded
primarily through donations and grants.

Press contact
Jay Walsh
Senior Director, Communications
Wikimedia Foundation Tel. +1 415-860-8166
[hidden email]

(to stop receiving press releases from the Wikimedia Foundation, reply
with "unsubscribe" in the subject line)

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors

Jay Walsh
Hi folks - happy to share this news that WMF and Global Voices are
releasing today. Also posted on the WM Blog,
https://blog.wikimedia.org/2013/01/16/wikimedia-foundation-executive-director-sue-gardner-named-to-the-board-of-directors-at-global-voices/

And on Global Voices
http://globalvoicesonline.org/2013/01/16/wikimedias-sue-gardner-joins-global-voices-board/

--
Jay Walsh
Senior Director, Communications
WikimediaFoundation.org
blog.wikimedia.org
+1 (415) 839 6885 x 6609, @jansonw

[Wikimedia-l] Fwd: [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors

Matthew Roth
forwarding for Jay from Wikimediaannounce-l

Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors
To: [hidden email]

)

[...]

Global Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
+1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
www.wikimediafoundation.org
*https://donate.wikimedia.org*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors

MZMcBride-2
Jay Walsh wrote:

>Hi folks - happy to share this news that WMF and Global Voices are
>releasing today. Also posted on the WM Blog,
>https://blog.wikimedia.org/?p=21160
>
>[...]
>
>SAN FRANCISCO -- January 16, 2013 -- The Wikimedia Foundation is happy
>to announce that Sue Gardner has been named to the Board of Directors
>at Global Voices. Global Voices is a community of more than 1300
>authors and translators in dozens of countries around the world that
>publishes reports from global citizen journalists, with an emphasis on
>voices that aren't ordinarily heard in major international media.
>
>“Global Voices does great work, and I’m really looking forward to
>sharing experiences and expertise with the people involved there.”
>said Sue Gardner, Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. “The
>Wikimedia Foundation and Global Voices hold a lot of the same values,
>and for me the most important is our shared commitment to freedom of
>expression. The world needs strong voices advocating for internet
>users’ right to express themselves and to access information without
>impediment.”

Congrats, Sue! :-)  Global Voices is lucky to have you.

Given the mention of global citizen journalists in the blog post, I was a
little surprised to not see a mention of Wikinews. Some collaboration
between the Wikinewsies and the Global Voices folks might be good to
explore. (I'll admit that I'm still somewhat trying to wrap my head around
what Global Voices exactly is, but a collaboration between the two seemed
like it might have promise. If I'm off-base, ignore me.)

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors

Oona Castro
wonderful news!
Congratulations, Sue!

Oona

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jay Walsh wrote:
> >Hi folks - happy to share this news that WMF and Global Voices are
> >releasing today. Also posted on the WM Blog,
> >https://blog.wikimedia.org/?p=21160
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >SAN FRANCISCO -- January 16, 2013 -- The Wikimedia Foundation is happy
> >to announce that Sue Gardner has been named to the Board of Directors
> >at Global Voices. Global Voices is a community of more than 1300
> >authors and translators in dozens of countries around the world that
> >publishes reports from global citizen journalists, with an emphasis on
> >voices that aren't ordinarily heard in major international media.
> >
> >“Global Voices does great work, and I’m really looking forward to
> >sharing experiences and expertise with the people involved there.”
> >said Sue Gardner, Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. “The
> >Wikimedia Foundation and Global Voices hold a lot of the same values,
> >and for me the most important is our shared commitment to freedom of
> >expression. The world needs strong voices advocating for internet
> >users’ right to express themselves and to access information without
> >impediment.”
>
> Congrats, Sue! :-)  Global Voices is lucky to have you.
>
> Given the mention of global citizen journalists in the blog post, I was a
> little surprised to not see a mention of Wikinews. Some collaboration
> between the Wikinewsies and the Global Voices folks might be good to
> explore. (I'll admit that I'm still somewhat trying to wrap my head around
> what Global Voices exactly is, but a collaboration between the two seemed
> like it might have promise. If I'm off-base, ignore me.)
>
> MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors

Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive
good news!
congratulations Sue..

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Oona Castro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> wonderful news!
> Congratulations, Sue!
>
> Oona
>
> On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 3:35 AM, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Jay Walsh wrote:
> > >Hi folks - happy to share this news that WMF and Global Voices are
> > >releasing today. Also posted on the WM Blog,
> > >https://blog.wikimedia.org/?p=21160
> > >
> > >[...]
> > >
> > >SAN FRANCISCO -- January 16, 2013 -- The Wikimedia Foundation is happy
> > >to announce that Sue Gardner has been named to the Board of Directors
> > >at Global Voices. Global Voices is a community of more than 1300
> > >authors and translators in dozens of countries around the world that
> > >publishes reports from global citizen journalists, with an emphasis on
> > >voices that aren't ordinarily heard in major international media.
> > >
> > >“Global Voices does great work, and I’m really looking forward to
> > >sharing experiences and expertise with the people involved there.”
> > >said Sue Gardner, Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation. “The
> > >Wikimedia Foundation and Global Voices hold a lot of the same values,
> > >and for me the most important is our shared commitment to freedom of
> > >expression. The world needs strong voices advocating for internet
> > >users’ right to express themselves and to access information without
> > >impediment.”
> >
> > Congrats, Sue! :-)  Global Voices is lucky to have you.
> >
> > Given the mention of global citizen journalists in the blog post, I was a
> > little surprised to not see a mention of Wikinews. Some collaboration
> > between the Wikinewsies and the Global Voices folks might be good to
> > explore. (I'll admit that I'm still somewhat trying to wrap my head
> around
> > what Global Voices exactly is, but a collaboration between the two seemed
> > like it might have promise. If I'm off-base, ignore me.)
> >
> > MZMcBride

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury Hasive*
    (নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী হাছিব)
FB <http://www.facebook.com/nhasive> ::
Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive>::
Skype: nhasive
Bangla Wikipedia User: nhasive <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Nhasive>
**

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia ED Sue Gardner named to Global Voices Board of Directors

Tonmoy Khan
Congratulations Sue:) It's a wonderful news!

Ali Haidar Khan (tOnmOy)
Treasurer
Wikimedia Bangladesh

"ভাবুনতো এমন এক পৃথিবীর কথা, যেখানে প্রতিটি মানুষ সমস্ত জ্ঞান বাধাহীন ভাবে
আদান প্রদান করতে পারবে। এটাই আমাদের অঙ্গীকার।"

María Sefidari
Fantastic! Congratulations Sue!

María

Enviado desde Yahoo! Mail con Android