[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Thank you Sue Gardner

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Thank you Sue Gardner

Jan-Bart de Vreede-3
Hello Everyone,

As Lila officially takes over from Sue as the Executive Director of the Wikimedia Foundation after this weekend  it really is a moment to not only wish Lila a lot of succes in the coming years, but also to give a tremendous thanks to Sue for her work in the past years. Of course I did so last year in March when she announced her departure but it bears repeating that Sue took us from a small organisation in St. Petersburg Florida, which was struggling to create impact, to a mature and stable organisation which makes a huge difference. Building up a professional staff who are dedicated to our mission, incredible fundraising growth and working through complex situations to create concepts such as the FDC stand out amongst many other achievements.

It was Sue herself who indicated that it was time to find a new Executive Director, someone who was more suitable for our focus on Engineering and Grantmaking. As I mentioned more than a year ago, its hard to imagine the Wikimedia Foundation without Sue at the helm. However, due in large part to her efforts we have managed to find a new Executive Director who gives me confidence in the future of the Foundation. I am happy that we managed to find the “unicorn” that we were looking for, but that didn’t happen by accident. Most of you know that we concluded the first round of our search in early december with candidates that we did not feel were ideal for the job. We decided to change our tactics and this involved both Erik and Sue spending a lot of their (spare) time with potential candidates and making sure that we were getting the right candidates. As a result our second round had a great set of candidates, which ultimately led to the selection of Lila. On the transition team Sue has been very crucial in holding up a mirror and reminding us what we were looking for.

After a well deserved vacation Sue will be available as a Special Advisor to both the Lila and the Board of Trustees and we are grateful to her for making herself available to do this. However, what intrigues me more is what she will end up doing in the coming years. I am hoping it is in the space of Open Content or the Open Internet, as she will undoubtedly have a tremendous impact in there, and we need her! I am also happy to inform you that Sue will attend a part of Wikimania where she will for once not have an packed schedule, so feel free to take the opportunity to thank her in person if you are so inclined :)

On behalf of the entire Board and all the staff of the Wikimedia Foundation: thank you so much all that you have given the Foundation, and especially your efforts in the past year to ensure that there was both stability within our organisation and a great succesor.

Jan-Bart de Vreede
Chair
Wikimedia Board of Trustees

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Thank you Sue Gardner

Bishakha Datta
Just adding my personal thanks, Sue.

You've taken the Foundation from infancy to maturity - one of the hardest
spins in the life cycle of an organization and one of the most enduring
legacies any leader can leave behind. You've literally laid the foundation
for the Foundation. :)

It's been an extraordinary pleasure working with you and I hope (and
expect) that you will continue to go from strength to strength.

Raising my glass to you,
Bishakha

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 12:56 AM, Jan-Bart de Vreede <[hidden email]
> [...]

> what she will end up doing in the coming years. I am hoping it is in the
> space of Open Content or the Open Internet, as she will undoubtedly have a
> tremendous impact in there, and we need her! I am also happy to inform you
> that Sue will attend a part of Wikimania where she will for once not have
> an packed schedule, so feel free to take the opportunity to thank her in
> person if you are so inclined :)
>
> On behalf of the entire Board and all the staff of the Wikimedia
> Foundation: thank you so much all that you have given the Foundation, and
> especially your efforts in the past year to ensure that there was both
> stability within our organisation and a great succesor.
>
> Jan-Bart de Vreede
> Chair
> Wikimedia Board of Trustees

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Thank you Sue Gardner

Ting Chen-2
Hello dear all,

one of the most memorable moment in my work together with Sue was one
evening in October 2011. As some of you may remember that the years 2010
to 2012 were especially difficult years in relationship between the
Foundation and the chapters. The Foundation experimented a few
approaches and changed again and again its direction. And the discussion
about how to distribute the funds raised on our projects had repeatedly
kindled, sometimes very violent confrontations. On one of the board
meetings earlier of 2011 Sue said to the board that she never considered
this confrontation as a question of who wins. She wanted a good and
sound solution for the problems that are out there. After the Haifa
Wikimania the discussion became even hotter and sometimes it really felt
insulting. I always considered myself as a person who is very ballanced
and who can keep his tempel, but at that point I must say that I was
very unnerved by the dispute. We had our board meeting in San Francisco
and after that Sue asked me to stay for a few days to give a speech on
the All Hands Meeting of the staff. So one evening we went out for a
dinner together and naturally, the discussion came back to the fund
raising and fund dissemination topic. And I asked Sue with a sigh:"Do
you still think that it is not about who wins?" And she said:"Yes, of
cause not." At that moment I felt a trimendous respect for this woman,
and I must confess that I felt also a bit ashamed for myself because I
was on the edge to lost my ballance.

For me Sue is one of the most respectable person I know, not only
because of her achievements and her work, but especially because of her
attitude.

Greetings
Ting

Am 01.06.2014 21:26, schrieb Jan-Bart de Vreede:

> [...]
>
> On behalf of the entire Board and all the staff of the Wikimedia Foundation: thank you so much all that you have given the Foundation, and especially your efforts in the past year to ensure that there was both stability within our organisation and a great succesor.
>
> Jan-Bart de Vreede
> Chair
> Wikimedia Board of Trustees

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Thank you Sue Gardner

Itzik Edri
I want to join and say also, thank you Sue! Jan-Bart already mentioned your
huge contribution to the movement, but I want to add one more thing: I know
many professional managers. But to find people who are great mangers in a
big organizations who are also warm and hearty for other, who don't put
themselves above others - is more rare. And Sue was one of this unique
persons. She wasn't only the ED, she was one of us. Managing a 200
employees foundation with 60$M budget, but still available for every
volunteer that wanted to speak with her - knowing many of them personally,
always with her huge smile and her personal style. As I said many times - I
didn't always agreed with her decision, but I always appreciated the
professionalism and the way she did things.

Thank you Sue!

And I'll uses this opportunity also to say good luck Lila!

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 10:26 PM, Jan-Bart de Vreede <[hidden email]
> [...]

> what she will end up doing in the coming years. I am hoping it is in the
> space of Open Content or the Open Internet, as she will undoubtedly have a
> tremendous impact in there, and we need her! I am also happy to inform you
> that Sue will attend a part of Wikimania where she will for once not have
> an packed schedule, so feel free to take the opportunity to thank her in
> person if you are so inclined :)
>
> On behalf of the entire Board and all the staff of the Wikimedia
> Foundation: thank you so much all that you have given the Foundation, and
> especially your efforts in the past year to ensure that there was both
> stability within our organisation and a great succesor.
>
> Jan-Bart de Vreede
> Chair
> Wikimedia Board of Trustees

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Thank you...

Mathias Damour
Le 02/06/2014 20:28, Ting Chen a écrit :
> Hello dear all,
>
> one of the most memorable moment in my work together with Sue was one
> evening in October 2011. As some of you may remember that the years
> 2010 to 2012 were especially difficult years in relationship between
> the Foundation and the chapters. The Foundation experimented a few
> approaches and changed again and again its direction. And the
> discussion about how to distribute the funds raised on our projects
> had repeatedly kindled, sometimes very violent confrontations. (..)

That's interesting though I'm not sure I exactly get between who was the
"violent confrontations".
I don't blame my chapter for being at present the "model student" under
the set rules for chapters, yet I deplore the long-lasting fight against
the chapter's autonomy or growth and feel in accordance with the
criticisms that were made notably by Wikimedia Deutchland and Wikimedia UK:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/FDC_portal/Comments/Extensive_feedback_from_WMDE_to_the_FDC_process
https://wikimedia.org.uk/wiki/File:Open_letter_to_Sue_Gardner_regarding_non-renewal.pdf

--
Mathias Damour
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Astirmays

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Thank you Sue Gardner

Milos Rancic-2
I want to say basically the same what Jan-Bart and Bishakha said, but
from different perspective.

The first three years of my involvement in the global community passed
in constant worries about the future of Wikimedia. Options like "we
don't have enough money for the bills" were the constant threat.

And not just that. All of the instances of movement instability were
nothing in comparison to the years when Wikimedia was so fragile, that
just a number of very fortunate circumstances made it to survive.

It was the feeling when you are willing to opt in for a fascist
government just because you are in a spaceship, there is no atmosphere
outside and you know that there is not a lot of space for complaining
about lack of coffee.

6-7 years later we have very different situation. I could complain
about a number of things. But I can't explain how content and relieved
I am just because of the fact that I am able to complain here.

As someone who knows all Wikimedia structures very well, I know that
Sue is the most responsible person for that.

In comparison to the years before her appointment, it was quite
relieving to know that there was at least one person who knew what
she's doing and that she was ED.

There is one thing which should be always in our minds. Sue became ED
after the culmination of our online movement. Instead of having just
debris of once great idea, our movement is still vital. The only
reason why it is so is because of the stable finances; and the only
significant change before and after is the fact that Sue was ED.

I am eager to see the next phase of our development, lead by Lila. I
am sure that Lila is capable to make Wikimedia fancy and exciting like
it was during the first years of its existence. But we should remember
that it is possible now just because of Sue.