[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Jay Walsh
(This press release is also posted on the WMF wiki at
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/WMF_and_STC_partner_on_WP_Zero_in_the_Middle_East)

'''The Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide
access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East'''

''Service available immediately to STC customers in Saudi Arabia''

San Francisco, California and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia -- October 14, 2012
-- Saudi Telecom Company (STC) and the Wikimedia Foundation announced
a new partnership today to offer Wikipedia free of data charges on
mobile devices to STC customers in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Kuwait.
By making Wikipedia available to its 25 million mobile customers, STC
and the Wikimedia Foundation commit to increasing access to the free
and open knowledge available on Wikipedia. Wikipedia Zero enables
customers to browse the website for free and with high flexibility on
all mobile phones.

This partnership is part of the Wikimedia Foundation's mobile
strategy, which focuses on reaching billions of people around the
world whose primary opportunity to access the Internet is via a mobile
device. This initiative is particularly important, given that the
Foundation has made Arabic language countries a special priority in
its strategic planning.

“We are thrilled that STC has joined us in removing a major barrier to
accessing Wikipedia on mobile phones. Improving access to the
Wikimedia projects in the Arabic speaking world is a strategic
priority for the Foundation, and this partnership is a step forward in
our mission to enable everyone on the planet to access free
knowledge,” said Kul Takanao Wadhwa, Head of Mobile, Wikimedia
Foundation. “With Wikipedia Zero, the Wikimedia Foundation is able to
provide free Wikipedia access to almost 230 million mobile users
around the world. We’re very excited that STC is joining us in this
mission.”

In collaboration with “Intigral”, a company specialized in providing
digital media solutions to telecom operators, STC subscribers can now
access the free service in both Arabic and English by pointing their
mobile browser to m.wikipedia.org.  A lightweight, text-only version
optimized for slower connections is also available at
zero.wikipedia.org. The move comes as STC continues to consolidate its
leadership in various fields, especially in social awareness and the
fostering of a knowledge-sharing culture. Wikipedia Zero will also be
available through the mobile browser, and features high browsing
speeds despite being a free service.

Eng. Ibrahim Al Omar, Vice President for Personal Services, said “One
of the principles that STC adheres to is the commitment to spreading
social awareness and the fostering of a knowledge-sharing culture that
accomplishes the aspirations of all segments of our customer-base.” He
then added, “Wikipedia Zero is considered an additional cornerstone
that supports the continuous efforts of STC in the field of social
awareness.”

The launch of Wikipedia Zero comes in line with STC’s strategy to
prioritize customer needs, and is an affirmation of the company’s
commitment to fulfilling customer expectations while meeting their
demands, and to continuously develop its services to satisfy their
aspirations and give them a variety of unrestricted options and
alternatives.

For more information, please refer to the partnership Q&A at:
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships#STC

'''About Saudi Telecom'''
www.stc.com.sa

Saudi Telecom Company, together with its subsidiaries, provides
telecommunications services to individuals and businesses primarily in
the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Its GSM segment primarily offers mobile,
prepaid cards, international roaming, and messaging services. The
company’s Landline segment principally provides fixed line, card
telephones, interconnect, and international call services. Its DATA
segment primarily offers leased data transmission circuits, DSL, and
Internet services. The company also engages in the operation of
communications projects; transmission and processing of information;
wholesale and retail trade of recharge card services,
telecommunication equipment and devices, and computer services; sale
and re-sale of various landlines and mobiles telecommunication
services; and maintenance and operation of commercial centers. In
addition, it provides mobile services, international
telecommunications, broad band, and other related services in Bahrain;
and operates third generation mobile network in Indonesia. The company
was founded in 1998 and is headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

'''About Wikimedia Foundation'''
http://wikimediafoundation.org
http://blog.wikimedia.org

The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix,
Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation
receive more than 456 million unique visitors per month, making them
the fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore, August
2012). Available in 285 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 22
million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of
roughly 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the
Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded
primarily through donations and grants.

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Jay Walsh
Hi folks - sharing a news release that WMF issued this morning along with STC.

--
Jay Walsh
Head of Communications

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Mohamed Ibrahim
Wonderful news!
Big thanks goes for all the people who made this happen.

On 14 October 2012 20:32, Jay Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> and operates third generation mobile network in Indonesia. The company
> was founded in 1998 and is headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
>
> '''About Wikimedia Foundation'''
> http://wikimediafoundation.org
> http://blog.wikimedia.org
>
> The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates
> Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix,
> Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation
> receive more than 456 million unique visitors per month, making them
> the fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore, August
> 2012). Available in 285 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 22
> million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of
> roughly 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the
> Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded

Mido

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

rupert THURNER-2
that sounds great! is this offer available to all STC clients, or only
restricted to certain plans?

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Mohamed Ibrahim
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> [...]
> > receive more than 456 million unique visitors per month, making them
> > the fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore, August
> > 2012). Available in 285 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 22
> > million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of
> > roughly 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the
> > Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded
> > primarily through donations and grants.
> >

> > --
> > Jay Walsh
> > Head of Communications
> > WikimediaFoundation.org
> > blog.wikimedia.org
> > +1 (415) 839 6885 x 6609, @jansonw

> Mido

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Kul Wadhwa
On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM, rupert THURNER
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> that sounds great! is this offer available to all STC clients, or only
> restricted to certain plans?

To all STC customers. More details here:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships#STC

--
Kul Wadhwa
Head of Mobile

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Andreas Kolbe-2
Will access to Wikipedia for people in Saudi Arabia be uncensored?

Has there been any agreement with Saudi Telecom on censorship?

Andreas

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Jay Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation
> receive more than 456 million unique visitors per month, making them
> the fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore, August
> 2012). Available in 285 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 22
> million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of
> roughly 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the
> Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded
> primarily through donations and grants.
>

> --
> Jay Walsh
> Head of Communications
> WikimediaFoundation.org
> blog.wikimedia.org
> +1 (415) 839 6885 x 6609, @jansonw

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Moushira Elamrawy
Awesome!

Congrats to mobile team for a promising deal. Great job! Can't wait to see
readership _and edit (for the future!)_ stats in KSA for the next months.

@Andreas:  Censorship!  Thats interesting --but my understanding is that
Wikiipedia is fine in KSA, except for some visual content that is being
blocked.

Once again, thumbs up to mobile team, legal, admin, and anyone who helped
this deal come true.

Best,
/M

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation
> > receive more than 456 million unique visitors per month, making them
> > the fifth-most popular web property world-wide (comScore, August
> > 2012). Available in 285 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 22
> > million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of
> > roughly 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the
> > Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded
> > primarily through donations and grants.
> >

> > --
> > Jay Walsh
> > Head of Communications
> > WikimediaFoundation.org
> > blog.wikimedia.org
> > +1 (415) 839 6885 x 6609, @jansonw

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

theo10011
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Moushira Elamrawy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> @Andreas:  Censorship!  Thats interesting --but my understanding is that
> Wikiipedia is fine in KSA, except for some visual content that is being
> blocked.

Not exactly.[1][2] ;)

Regards
Theo

[1]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Saudi_Arabia#Internet
[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:List_of_articles_censored_in_Saudi_Arabia

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 3:31 AM, Moushira Elamrawy <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
> > @Andreas:  Censorship!  Thats interesting --but my understanding is that
> > Wikiipedia is fine in KSA, except for some visual content that is being
> > blocked.
>

> Not exactly.[1][2] ;)

Yes, this too, but people always manage to work around it ;)
In general it is accessible and better than the censorship status in other
countries (Syria!), and the government is investing in increasing Wikipedia
Arabic content, so a lot could be done to expand readership and editor base
with the current status, even if it isn't perfect.

Best,

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

geni
On 14 October 2012 22:12, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will access to Wikipedia for people in Saudi Arabia be uncensored?

Very unlikely.

> Has there been any agreement with Saudi Telecom on censorship?

The Saudi's don't like to discuss their censorship policies with
outsiders. I would assume that they take the view that it is something
they can manage on their own.

--
geni

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 10:29 PM, Moushira Elamrawy <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Yes, this too, but people always manage to work around it ;)
> In general it is accessible and better than the censorship status in other
> countries (Syria!), and the government is investing in increasing Wikipedia
> Arabic content, so a lot could be done to expand readership and editor base
> with the current status, even if it isn't perfect.
>
> Best,

The Saudi government is investing in increasing Arabic Wikipedia content?
Are you sure?

Could you tell us more about this project – i.e. how the funding is
distributed, and who does the editing?

A.

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:23 AM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 14 October 2012 22:12, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Will access to Wikipedia for people in Saudi Arabia be uncensored?
>
> Very unlikely.
>
> > Has there been any agreement with Saudi Telecom on censorship?
>
> The Saudi's don't like to discuss their censorship policies with
> outsiders. I would assume that they take the view that it is something
> they can manage on their own.

These questions are really for Jay to answer, rather than for us to
speculate on.

What I mean is: Is there any mention of censorship in the partnership
agreement, one way or the other? Is the text of the agreement public? Would
it be possible to make it public, for transparency? If not, why not?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Andreas Kolbe-2
The press release that started this thread said,

>In collaboration with “Intigral”, a company specialized in providing
>digital media solutions to telecom operators, STC subscribers can now
>access the free service in both Arabic and English by pointing their
>mobile browser to m.wikipedia.org.

Intigral is a censorship specialist:

http://www.thenational.ae/business/the-gentle-touch-of-censorship

---o0o---

The digital media company, which provides digital TV channels and
video-on-demand for the Saudi Telecom Company (STC), has a "live
censorship" room and sophisticated editing facilities to remove content
deemed offensive.

---o0o---

According to Wikipedia, Saudi Telecom is owned by the Saudi government.

Dan Murphy, Middle East correspondent for the Christian Science Monitor,
has commented on Wikipediocracy, quoting Jimbo's response last month to the
proposed UK "snoopers charter", saying that the Saudi government is far
more invasive than anything that was proposed for the UK:

---o0o---

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=20262#p20262

Wales' Wikimedia Foundation has just entered into an agreement with the
telecoms provider of a government that routinely snoops on its citizens
online, in far more invasive and frightening ways than mooted for the UK.
Reading between the lines, it is collaborating with the Saudi government's
main web censor in writing code. The Saudi government makes encryption like
Wales "threatened" the UK with in September strictly illegal and brought
Blackberry to heel over this issue. The Saudi government routinely tracks
down the identities of internet users and harasses them. Any Saudi who has
something critical to write about the monarchy or Saudi history would be
very, very foolish to edit Wikipedia, particularly via Saudi Telecom. That
would be very dangerous. It is almost criminally irresponsible to encourage
young Saudis to edit Wikipedia without warning them of the potential
consequences.

---o0o---

Any comment?

In other news, it has also just been announced today that the UAE have
launched their own online encyclopedia, modelled on Wikipedia:

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/uae-launches-its-answer-wikipedia-476405.html

It will initially offer Arabic only, but other languages will apparently
follow in future.

Is the timing of these two announcements coincidental, or were WMF aware of
the UAE plans?

Andreas

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 6:23 AM, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 14 October 2012 22:12, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Will access to Wikipedia for people in Saudi Arabia be uncensored?
>>
>> Very unlikely.
>>
>> > Has there been any agreement with Saudi Telecom on censorship?
>>
>> The Saudi's don't like to discuss their censorship policies with
>> outsiders. I would assume that they take the view that it is something
>> they can manage on their own.
>

> These questions are really for Jay to answer, rather than for us to
> speculate on.
>
> What I mean is: Is there any mention of censorship in the partnership
> agreement, one way or the other? Is the text of the agreement public? Would
> it be possible to make it public, for transparency? If not, why not?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Yann Forget-3
Hello,

This announcement is worrying, to say the least.
In other words, the Wikimedia Foundation is doing a partnership with
one of the most retrograde government, which is also a regular censor
on Internet content.
How could you justify that?

Regards,

Yann

2012/10/14 Jay Walsh <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
> communications projects; transmission and processing of information;
> wholesale and retail trade of recharge card services,
> telecommunication equipment and devices, and computer services; sale
> and re-sale of various landlines and mobiles telecommunication
> services; and maintenance and operation of commercial centers. In
> addition, it provides mobile services, international
> telecommunications, broad band, and other related services in Bahrain;
> and operates third generation mobile network in Indonesia. The company
> was founded in 1998 and is headquartered in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.
>
> '''About Wikimedia Foundation'''
> http://wikimediafoundation.org
> http://blog.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Thomas Dalton
On Oct 15, 2012 6:06 PM, "Yann Forget" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This announcement is worrying, to say the least.
> In other words, the Wikimedia Foundation is doing a partnership with
> one of the most retrograde government, which is also a regular censor
> on Internet content.
> How could you justify that?

I don't think this partnership will help the regime in any significant way
and even restricted access to Wikipedia is better than no access.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Sarah-128
Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I don't understand the
need for a partnership between the Wikipedia Foundation and the Saudi
Telecom Company (STC).

If STC wants not to charge its customers for accessing Wikipedia, in
what way does it need the help of the Foundation to achieve that?

Sarah

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This announcement is worrying, to say the least.
> In other words, the Wikimedia Foundation is doing a partnership with
> one of the most retrograde government, which is also a regular censor
> on Internet content.
> How could you justify that?

Hi Yann

It's not a partnership with the government, it's with a telecom company to
allow its subscriber in KSA (MENA region), free and easy access to
Wikipedia. KSA is a big part of the middle-east region, the political
reasons aside this helps the public get better access to Wikipedia. There
is no reason why we should not increase availability for the general public.

I'm not sure about the stance against this either, if a government is
trying to censor and restrict access, we should do what? not help provide
access to their citizens, not increase availability? how would that help
the situation? This is a way of working with the current situation and
perhaps around it, its about providing free access to people in the region,
which is probably the best thing to do at the time.

Regards
Theo

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM, Sarah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I don't understand the
> need for a partnership between the Wikipedia Foundation and the Saudi
> Telecom Company (STC).
>
> If STC wants not to charge its customers for accessing Wikipedia, in
> what way does it need the help of the Foundation to achieve that?

Hi Sarah

The partnership is part of a larger initiative[1] - the page provides a
list of countries and carriers where this partnership exists, it includes,
Orange, in  Kenya, Niger, Uganda, Ivory Coast, Telenor in Monte Negro, dtac
in Thailand and now STC is KSA.

The partnership with the telecom companies provides free access through
either Wikipedia Zero or mobile Wikipedia in different languages to
millions of users who might not have access to these services. The listed
page mentions that the partnership does not involve any financial deal to
provide this access. I'm not aware of the particulars but the partnership
might have just focused on providing some technical help and a point
of interaction to facilitate the deal. It's a good
deal considering millions of people get free access, who would have had
limited access and use of Wikipedia before.

It was part of the focus for the Global Development department and WMF, to
provide better access in these countries in the developing world, under the
previously-used and inappropriate title of "Global South".

Regards
Theo

[1]
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships#Where_is_Wikipedia_free_to_access.3F

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Tobias Oelgarte
Am 15.10.2012 21:19, schrieb Theo10011:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This announcement is worrying, to say the least.
>> In other words, the Wikimedia Foundation is doing a partnership with
>> one of the most retrograde government, which is also a regular censor
>> on Internet content.
>> How could you justify that?
>
> Hi Yann
>
> It's not a partnership with the government, it's with a telecom company to
> allow its subscriber in KSA (MENA region), free and easy access to
> Wikipedia. KSA is a big part of the middle-east region, the political
> reasons aside this helps the public get better access to Wikipedia. There
> is no reason why we should not increase availability for the general public.
>
> I'm not sure about the stance against this either, if a government is
> trying to censor and restrict access, we should do what? not help provide
> access to their citizens, not increase availability? how would that help
> the situation? This is a way of working with the current situation and
> perhaps around it, its about providing free access to people in the region,
> which is probably the best thing to do at the time.
>
> Regards
> Theo

There is always the doubt that an initiative achieves its goal. After
reading the latest contribution of Saudi Arabia to the World
Telecommunication Policy Forum 2013 [1], I'm really a pessimist. In
short: They claim that it is "absolutely necessary" to tackle the
problem of freedom of expression in the Internet.

After reading that report I'm truly pessimistic in this regard.
Additionally i know about the deep relationship between the Saudi
Telecom Company and Intigral. The later one is well known to provide
efficient censorship solutions. So i have to fear that the subscribers
will get the censored version of WP instead the real one and that such
an cooperation actually helps to keep the people away from accessing the
uncensored version. ("They demand a book of truth? Let's give them the
book of our truth, so that they can be happy, ...")

[1] http://www.itu.int/md/S12-WTPF13PREP-C-0026/en

nya~

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 1:33 PM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:33 AM, Sarah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I don't understand the
> > need for a partnership between the Wikipedia Foundation and the Saudi
> > Telecom Company (STC). ... [snip]
>
> Hi Sarah
>
> The partnership is part of a larger initiative[1] - the page provides a
> list of countries and carriers where this partnership exists, it includes,
> Orange, in  Kenya, Niger, Uganda, Ivory Coast, Telenor in Monte Negro, dtac
> in Thailand and now STC is KSA. ... [snip]
>
> Regards
> Theo
>
> [1]
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships#Where_is_Wikipedia_free_to_access.3F