[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Kul Wadhwa
Hi Sarah,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Sarah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I don't understand the
> need for a partnership between the Wikipedia Foundation and the Saudi
> Telecom Company (STC).
>
> If STC wants not to charge its customers for accessing Wikipedia, in
> what way does it need the help of the Foundation to achieve that?

This is not a stupid question...actually my wife asked me the same thing :)

To implement a zero-rated version of Wikipedia we engage and work directly
with an operator on multiple levels. Besides spending time with their
business/marketing and/or corporate social responsibility staff to take on
this program (because it does cost them time and resources) we work with on
the technical side to adapt, customize and debug a light-weight version of
Wikipedia (i.e., Wikipedia Zero) that their customers can access on their
network. Sometimes this includes, but is not limited to, creating a
country-specific landing page, developing banners so customers know they
are not paying when they are using it, and some feature development. We
also need to make sure that it works within their billing systems so
customers don't get charged for using it. Operators have varying technical
infrastructures (some completely different from others) so we have to make
adjustments for each one. Then we spend a lot time testing with them to
make sure it's running properly.

You can find more information here:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Zero

--Kul

--
Kul Wadhwa
Head of Mobile

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Andreas Kolbe-2
"... some feature development". Please just tell us:

Is there anything about political or any other kind of censorship in the
WMF/STC agreement and/or the cooperation? Was the topic ever raised in the
discussions? If so, in which contexts? What was decided?

Is it part of the written agreement?

Were any other freedom of expression issues and related technical solutions
discussed, or addressed in the agreement?

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Kul Wadhwa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sarah,
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Sarah <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I don't understand the
> > need for a partnership between the Wikipedia Foundation and the Saudi
> > Telecom Company (STC).
> >
> > If STC wants not to charge its customers for accessing Wikipedia, in
> > what way does it need the help of the Foundation to achieve that?
> >

> This is not a stupid question...actually my wife asked me the same thing :)
>
> To implement a zero-rated version of Wikipedia we engage and work directly
> with an operator on multiple levels. Besides spending time with their
> business/marketing and/or corporate social responsibility staff to take on
> this program (because it does cost them time and resources) we work with on
> the technical side to adapt, customize and debug a light-weight version of
> Wikipedia (i.e., Wikipedia Zero) that their customers can access on their
> network. Sometimes this includes, but is not limited to, creating a
> country-specific landing page, developing banners so customers know they
> are not paying when they are using it, and some feature development. We
> also need to make sure that it works within their billing systems so
> customers don't get charged for using it. Operators have varying technical
> infrastructures (some completely different from others) so we have to make
> adjustments for each one. Then we spend a lot time testing with them to
> make sure it's running properly.
>
> You can find more information here:
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Zero
>
> --Kul
>
> --
> Kul Wadhwa
> Head of Mobile
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Kul Wadhwa
Hi Andreas,

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "... some feature development". Please just tell us:
>
> Is there anything about political or any other kind of censorship in the
> WMF/STC agreement and/or the cooperation? Was the topic ever raised in the
> discussions? If so, in which contexts? What was decided?

*There are absolutely no provisions in our partnership to block or censor
the content of our projects. We would not consider any requests from
any partner
to block or censor content*.

> Is it part of the written agreement?

No

> Were any other freedom of expression issues and related technical solutions
> discussed, or addressed in the agreement?

No

--Kul

--
Kul Wadhwa
Head of Mobile

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Andreas Kolbe-2
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Yann
>
> It's not a partnership with the government, it's with a telecom company

Theo, Saudi Telecom was wholly owned by the Saudi government when it was
founded in 1998. It held monopolies then.

After a partial privatisation in the early 2000s, STC remains 70% owned by
the Saudi government, with the remainder owned by "domestic investors
(16.4%), the Public Pension Fund (6.6%) and the General Organisation for
Social Insurance (7.0%)".[1]

To say that it's not partnership with the Saudi government is a little
misleading. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, but surely you
can understand that there is interest in what exactly the terms of this
partnership are.

[1]
http://www.telegeography.com/page_attachments/products/website/research-services/globalcomms-database-service/0003/2274/gcd-saudi-telecom-company-stc.pdf

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Kul Wadhwa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > "... some feature development". Please just tell us:
> >
> > Is there anything about political or any other kind of censorship in the
> > WMF/STC agreement and/or the cooperation? Was the topic ever raised in
> the
> > discussions? If so, in which contexts? What was decided?
> >

> *There are absolutely no provisions in our partnership to block or censor
> the content of our projects. We would not consider any requests from
> any partner
> to block or censor content*.

Thanks. :)

Did STC or Intigral ever express an intention to censor Wikipedia content
themselves?

Was that topic ever raised by either WMF or STC/Intigral in the discussions?

Do you know whether STC/Intigral will or will not censor Wikipedia content
for Saudi mobile phone users?

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Richard Symonds-3
I'm curious: the list of censored topics in KSA (on Wikipedia) seems to be
entirely sexual content. Certainly, the KSA censor that, but do they censor
any articles that are political or similar topics? Forgive if I've misread
the list!

Richard Symonds, Wikimedia UK
On Oct 16, 2012 1:15 AM, "Andreas Kolbe" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Theo10011 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Yann
> >
> > It's not a partnership with the government, it's with a telecom company
>

> Theo, Saudi Telecom was wholly owned by the Saudi government when it was
> founded in 1998. It held monopolies then.
>
> After a partial privatisation in the early 2000s, STC remains 70% owned by
> the Saudi government, with the remainder owned by "domestic investors
> (16.4%), the Public Pension Fund (6.6%) and the General Organisation for
> Social Insurance (7.0%)".[1]
>
> To say that it's not partnership with the Saudi government is a little
> misleading. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it, but surely you
> can understand that there is interest in what exactly the terms of this
> partnership are.
>
> [1]
>
> http://www.telegeography.com/page_attachments/products/website/research-services/globalcomms-database-service/0003/2274/gcd-saudi-telecom-company-stc.pdf

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Yann Forget-3
2012/10/16 Theo10011 <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> This announcement is worrying, to say the least.
>> In other words, the Wikimedia Foundation is doing a partnership with
>> one of the most retrograde government, which is also a regular censor
>> on Internet content.
>> How could you justify that?
>
> Hi Yann
>
> It's not a partnership with the government, it's with a telecom company to

Well, this telecom company is the arm of the government to impose
censorship in KSA.
This is a poor excuse. In creating such a partnership, WMF is
implicitely supporting the censorship by providing a moral caution,
even if it is not directly involved in censorship.

Yann

> allow its subscriber in KSA (MENA region), free and easy access to
> Wikipedia. KSA is a big part of the middle-east region, the political
> reasons aside this helps the public get better access to Wikipedia. There
> is no reason why we should not increase availability for the general public.
>
> I'm not sure about the stance against this either, if a government is
> trying to censor and restrict access, we should do what? not help provide
> access to their citizens, not increase availability? how would that help
> the situation? This is a way of working with the current situation and
> perhaps around it, its about providing free access to people in the region,
> which is probably the best thing to do at the time.
>
> Regards
> Theo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Ciphers Wiki
>Well, this telecom company is the arm of the government to impose
> censorship in KSA.
> This is a poor excuse. In creating such a partnership, WMF is
> implicitely supporting the censorship by providing a moral caution,
> even if it is not directly involved in censorship.

I guess I can see your point there, Yan.
But please let me ask you this question :
What do you think is the best way to teach people what the word "freedom"
means?

-- Ciphers
Note : I have been following this list for a while, but this is the first
time I feel like posting something here. Apologize in advance if  my
comments are not in the scope of this list, and I wish posting using my
wiki username won`t bother anyone.

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 09:56:35 +0530
From: Yann Forget <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia

2012/10/16 Ciphers Wikip <[hidden email]>:

>>Well, this telecom company is the arm of the government to impose
>> censorship in KSA.
>> This is a poor excuse. In creating such a partnership, WMF is
>> implicitely supporting the censorship by providing a moral caution,
>> even if it is not directly involved in censorship.
>
> I guess I can see your point there, Yan.
> But please let me ask you this question :
> What do you think is the best way to teach people what the word "freedom"
> means?

That's a difficult question, and a worthwhile debate.
I would first ask people of South Arabia fighting against censorship
what would help them most. That may provide a clue in which direction
we should work.

> -- Ciphers
> Note : I have been following this list for a while, but this is the first
> time I feel like posting something here. Apologize in advance if  my
> comments are not in the scope of this list, and I wish posting using my wiki
> username won`t bother anyone.

Your message is fine, and well within the scope of this list.

Regards,

Yann

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Ciphers Wiki
> That's a difficult question, and a worthwhile debate.
Indeed it is.

> I would first ask people of South Arabia fighting against censorship
> what would help them most. That may provide a clue in which direction
> we should work.

I have never been to Saudi Arabia, and I don`t think I am the best person
to speak on their behalf, but I think any extra freely shared piece on
information will help their peaceful fight.
It might not be 100% today, but it will surely help them bring that number
up by tomorrow.

Best regards,
-- Ciphers

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 10:10 PM, Yann Forget <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/10/16 Ciphers Wikip <[hidden email]>:
> >>Well, this telecom company is the arm of the government to impose
> >> censorship in KSA.
> >> This is a poor excuse. In creating such a partnership, WMF is
> >> implicitely supporting the censorship by providing a moral caution,
> >> even if it is not directly involved in censorship.
> >
> > I guess I can see your point there, Yan.
> > But please let me ask you this question :
> > What do you think is the best way to teach people what the word "freedom"
> > means?
>
> That's a difficult question, and a worthwhile debate.
> I would first ask people of South Arabia fighting against censorship
> what would help them most. That may provide a clue in which direction
> we should work.
>
> > -- Ciphers
> > Note : I have been following this list for a while, but this is the first
> > time I feel like posting something here. Apologize in advance if  my
> > comments are not in the scope of this list, and I wish posting using my
> wiki
> > username won`t bother anyone.
>
> Your message is fine, and well within the scope of this list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yann

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Osama Khalid-2
I am from Saudi Arabia, so I guess I will be able to explain a few
issues.

First of all, it's important to note that Saudi Arabia is a good
example of a pretty much totalitarian state, with many governmental
agencies and institutions, the core of which, say the interior and
media ministries, play a key role in repressing unwanted expression.
However, there are others that are far from the core and enjoy some
kind of (unintended?) self-management.

It's also important to note that it is not possible to get anything on
done in Saudi Arabia on large scale without getting a governmental
institution partnership and approval.

And yes, hundreds of articles are censored, almost all of them are
related to sexuality and there aren't any known censored political or
historical articles.

> The Saudi government is investing in increasing Arabic Wikipedia
> content?  Are you sure?
>
> Could you tell us more about this project – i.e. how the funding is
> distributed, and who does the editing?

Yes, it is, through King Abdullah Initiative for Arabic Content[0].
They have had their own version of the Education Program for the last
two years.  [[ar:User:Ali1]] and I have been helping them by training
students.  The initiative is public and documented under a Wikipedia
namespace page on the Arabic Wikipedia.  Instructors and students have
the chance to choose the articles they see fit, without intervention
from the initiative.

> Well, this telecom company is the arm of the government to impose
> censorship in KSA.

Actually, censorship is imposed through a national proxy run by the
Communication and Information Technology Commission[1].  ISPs do not
get to pick and choose.

[0]: http://www.econtent.org.sa/
[1]: http://internet.sa/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Keegan Peterzell
When Wikipedias black out, we remove knowledge from the world to protest
censorship.  We censor ourselves, why are we meta-complaining about what
others do with the knowledge we provide.

Our mission, as Wikimedians, is to provide the sum of all human knowledge
to the world for free.  Knowledge should not be monetized, knowledge should
not be politicized.  In the short game, meaning a good part of our
life-times, free knowledge will not defeat knowledge or money.  All we can
do is offer it as a chance to learn.

Mobile partnerships to provide either Zero or mobile versions of the
websites are providing a generation that completely missed the personal
computer, et alone the Encyclopedias we hold so dear, to access Wikipedia
and other projects.  We cannot be in the position to determine the
censorship levels of what we provide, that is politics.  We are above that.
 All we can do is make these opportunities available and trust that
knowledge is free, and it will spread.

Demanding accountability is good, it is transparency.  Pushing the envelope
that is past the umbrella of our mission is political, and a complete red
herring to what these partnerships mean.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Kul Wadhwa
The goal in working with Intigral/STC is to remove barriers so more people
in the world can have access to free knowledge, and in this specific case
it's in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain. There isn't a "deal" here that
involves content management, revenue (no money exchanges hands), or
anything that affects the normal way we support the projects. You can find
more info on our Q&A here:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships#STC

If we did not launch Wikipedia Zero in Saudi Arabia then that would mean
that people in the region would still have to pay to access Wikipedia
through their mobile phones. And that financial cost, which may be nominal
or tolerable for some of us, it's very prohibitive to many more people. As
other mobile operators such as Orange and Telenor have done, Intigral/STC
graciously offered to eliminate that cost to eliminate the cost barrier.
It's limited to that. The Wikimedia Foundation has not, and will not,
censor or block any content whatsoever as part of its partnership with
Intigral/STC.

2012/10/16 Kul Wadhwa <[hidden email]>:

> The goal in working with Intigral/STC is to remove barriers so more people
> in the world can have access to free knowledge, and in this specific case
> it's in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain. There isn't a "deal" here that
> involves content management, revenue (no money exchanges hands), or
> anything that affects the normal way we support the projects. You can find
> more info on our Q&A here:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Mobile_partnerships#STC
>
> If we did not launch Wikipedia Zero in Saudi Arabia then that would mean
> that people in the region would still have to pay to access Wikipedia
> through their mobile phones. And that financial cost, which may be nominal
> or tolerable for some of us, it's very prohibitive to many more people. As
> other mobile operators such as Orange and Telenor have done, Intigral/STC
> graciously offered to eliminate that cost to eliminate the cost barrier.
> It's limited to that. The Wikimedia Foundation has not, and will not,
> censor or block any content whatsoever as part of its partnership with
> Intigral/STC.
>
> --
> Kul Wadhwa
> Head of Mobile
> Wikimedia Foundation

Thanks Kul for your message.
The suspiction came also because of a mention of "improving content in
the Arabic Wikipedia." I understand now that it is separate issue.

Regards,

Yann

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Kul Wadhwa
Hi Yann,

Thanks Kul for your message.

My pleasure. I appreciate that you're asking all these questions, and
they're good questions. It's important that we continue to do things the
right way.

> The suspiction came also because of a mention of "improving content in
> the Arabic Wikipedia." I understand now that it is separate issue.

This must have gotten misinterpreted somewhere. Nothing changes about the
content. No company or governement should control or influence the content
and we're not making any deals, partnerships or some secret "eye-winking"
arrangements in any manner to allow that to happen.

--Kul

--
Kul Wadhwa
Head of Mobile

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Andreas Kolbe-2
Thanks for the info, Osama.

Andreas

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Osama Khalid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am from Saudi Arabia, so I guess I will be able to explain a few
> issues.
>
> First of all, it's important to note that Saudi Arabia is a good
> example of a pretty much totalitarian state, with many governmental
> agencies and institutions, the core of which, say the interior and
> media ministries, play a key role in repressing unwanted expression.
> However, there are others that are far from the core and enjoy some
> kind of (unintended?) self-management.
>
> It's also important to note that it is not possible to get anything on
> done in Saudi Arabia on large scale without getting a governmental
> institution partnership and approval.
>
> And yes, hundreds of articles are censored, almost all of them are
> related to sexuality and there aren't any known censored political or
> historical articles.
>
> > The Saudi government is investing in increasing Arabic Wikipedia
> > content?  Are you sure?
> >
> > Could you tell us more about this project – i.e. how the funding is
> > distributed, and who does the editing?
>
> Yes, it is, through King Abdullah Initiative for Arabic Content[0].
> They have had their own version of the Education Program for the last
> two years.  [[ar:User:Ali1]] and I have been helping them by training
> students.  The initiative is public and documented under a Wikipedia
> namespace page on the Arabic Wikipedia.  Instructors and students have
> the chance to choose the articles they see fit, without intervention
> from the initiative.
>
> > Well, this telecom company is the arm of the government to impose
> > censorship in KSA.
>
> Actually, censorship is imposed through a national proxy run by the
> Communication and Information Technology Commission[1].  ISPs do not
> get to pick and choose.
>
> [0]: http://www.econtent.org.sa/
> [1]: http://internet.sa/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Andreas Kolbe-2
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Osama Khalid <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, censorship is imposed through a national proxy run by the
> Communication and Information Technology Commission[1].  ISPs do not
> get to pick and choose.
>
> [0]: http://www.econtent.org.sa/
> [1]: http://internet.sa/

Just noticed that according to Google Translate, the Saudi telecom
ministry's internet.sa page has Wikipedia in the little olive box in the
top left, under the heading:

"We chose you – the Association of the Week."  :)

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Finternet.sa%2F

;)

(You may have to reload the page a couple of times in Google Translate to
see it; the box has rotating content.)

Jimbo has said on English Wikipedia that he knows nothing about this, so it
does not seem to have been a board decision:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#Saudi_Arabia_partnership_and_censorship

---o0o---

I personally know nothing about this partnership. I am deeply concerned
about any collaboration with people who practice censorship. But I also
acknowledge there are many complexities and possibilities. I'll investigate
and if I'm unhappy about it, I'll let you know. And if I'm happy about it,
I'll let you know. --Jimbo Wales<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jimbo_Wales>
 (talk <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Jimbo_Wales#top>) 02:41, 16
October 2012 (UTC)

---o0o---

A.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimedia Announcements] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

David Gerard-2
On 16 October 2012 13:58, Andreas Kolbe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am deeply concerned
> about any collaboration with people who practice censorship.

At this point I'm boggling.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Sarah-128
On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Kul Wadhwa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sarah,
>
> This is not a stupid question...actually my wife asked me the same thing :)
>
> To implement a zero-rated version of Wikipedia we engage and work directly
> with an operator on multiple levels. Besides spending time with their
> business/marketing and/or corporate social responsibility staff to take on
> this program (because it does cost them time and resources) we work with on
> the technical side to adapt, customize and debug a light-weight version of
> Wikipedia (i.e., Wikipedia Zero) that their customers can access on their
> network. ... [snip]

Thanks, Kul, that was very helpful.

Sarah

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation and Saudi Telecom (STC) partner to provide access to Wikipedia free of mobile data charges in the Middle East

Andreas Kolbe-2
There has been an article on heise.de about this:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Saudi-Arabien-Mobile-Wikipedia-kostenlos-aber-zensiert-1730843.html

Translated quote:

The English Wikipedia documents a list of 141 articles that are apparently
blocked in Saudi Arabia. Many of these have sexual content, but they also
include articles on Muhammad caricatures and an Arabic article on
evolution. The block can be relatively easily circumvented, by using a
https connection to access the article, but this is unlikely to work when
using the mobile phone offer.

Original German quote:

In der englischsprachigen Wikipedia ist eine Liste mit 141 Artikeln
dokumentiert, die in Saudi-Arabien gesperrt sein sollen. Darunter sind
viele mit sexuellen Inhalten, aber auch Artikel über die
Mohammed-Karikaturen und ein arabischer Artikel über die Evolution. Diese
Sperre lässt sich mit dem Artikelabruf über eine https-Verbindung relativ
leicht umgehen, was allerdings bei dem Mobilfunkangebot nicht funktionieren
dürfte.