[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Commons 2017 Picture of the Year competition is now open

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Commons 2017 Picture of the Year competition is now open

Steinsplitter Wiki-2
Dear Wikimedians,

We are happy to announce that the 2017 Picture of the Year competition is now open.

Picture of the Year 2017 is the twelfth edition of the annual Wikimedia Commons image competition, which recognizes exceptional contributions by users on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia users are invited to vote for their favorite images featured on Commons (FP) during the year 2017, to produce a single Picture of the Year.

Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the international Wikimedia Commons community. From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, Commons features pictures of all flavors.

For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two rounds of voting will be held: In the first (and current) round, you can vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round, when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image that you want to become the Picture of the Year.

To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2017 page on Wikimedia Commons:  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2017

Round 1 will end 24 June 2018, 23:59:59 [UTC].

Thanks,
POTY 2017 committee

Note: Users must vote with an account meeting following requirements: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2017/Rules

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Commons 2017 Picture of the Year competition is now open

Jon Harald Søby
Not trying to criticize anyone or anything, but why is this starting so
late in the year? I think it would make more sense to have it as early as
possible.

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> We are happy to announce that the 2017 Picture of the Year competition is
> now open.
>
> Picture of the Year 2017 is the twelfth edition of the annual Wikimedia
> Commons image competition, which recognizes exceptional contributions by
> users on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia users are invited to vote for their
> favorite images featured on Commons (FP) during the year 2017, to produce a
> single Picture of the Year.
>
> Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the
> international Wikimedia Commons community. From professional animal and
> plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, historically relevant
> images, images portraying the world's best architecture, Commons features
> pictures of all flavors.
>
> For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two
> rounds of voting will be held: In the first (and current) round, you can
> vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and
> the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round,
> when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image
> that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
>
> To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2017 page on Wikimedia
> Commons:  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_
> Year/2017
>
> Round 1 will end 24 June 2018, 23:59:59 [UTC].
>
> Thanks,
> POTY 2017 committee
>
> Note: Users must vote with an account meeting following requirements:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2017/Rules

mvh
Jon Harald Søby

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Commons 2017 Picture of the Year competition is now open

Steinsplitter Wiki-2
>> Not trying to criticize anyone or anything, but why is this starting so
late in the year? I think it would make more sense to have it as early as
possible.

Thanks for the question.  Because lack time by people who are running it, and setting up POTY is quite tricky (generating lists, setting up scripts, setting up the interface, requesting CN banner, bugfixes of issues, etc.)  and it involves bureaucracy ;).

Best,

Steinsplitter

________________________________
Not trying to criticize anyone or anything, but why is this starting so
late in the year? I think it would make more sense to have it as early as
possible.

> Dear Wikimedians,
>
> We are happy to announce that the 2017 Picture of the Year competition is
> now open.
>
> Picture of the Year 2017 is the twelfth edition of the annual Wikimedia
> Commons image competition, which recognizes exceptional contributions by
> users on Wikimedia Commons. Wikimedia users are invited to vote for their
> favorite images featured on Commons (FP) during the year 2017, to produce a
> single Picture of the Year.
>
> Hundreds of images that have been rated Featured Pictures by the
> international Wikimedia Commons community. From professional animal and
> plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, historically relevant
> images, images portraying the world's best architecture, Commons features
> pictures of all flavors.
>
> For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories. Two
> rounds of voting will be held: In the first (and current) round, you can
> vote for as many images as you like. The first round category winners and
> the top ten overall will then make it to the final. In the final round,
> when a limited number of images are left, you must decide on the one image
> that you want to become the Picture of the Year.
>
> To see the candidate images just go to the POTY 2017 page on Wikimedia
> Commons:  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_
> Year/2017
>
> Round 1 will end 24 June 2018, 23:59:59 [UTC].
>
> Thanks,
> POTY 2017 committee
>
> Note: Users must vote with an account meeting following requirements:
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Picture_of_the_Year/2017/Rules

mvh
Jon Harald Søby

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Commons 2017 Picture of the Year competition is now open

Philip Kopetzky
Thanks Steinplitter! Especially the topic categories are very helpful! :-)