[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Cornelius Kibelka
Dear all,

As Nicole Ebber already wrote a couple of weeks ago, we would like to give
you some further information about the next Wikimedia Conference, that will
take place from March 29–31, 2019 in Berlin, Germany.

The next conference will focus on the Movement Strategy process and
movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general. The
program will be designed according to the status and needs of the ongoing
Movement Strategy process and its working groups. We are hoping to see a
diverse group of participants next year, and look forward to creating three
days of working, discussing, and thinking together. The event is made
possible through the generous financial support of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Thus, to make it clearer that learning and capacity-building will not be
part of the program and cut laces to the previous conference, we will
change the name to “Wikimedia Summit” (#wmsummit).

The change of the purpose of the event is accompanied by a change in the
composition of the audience. The event will be a more focused one, and
therefore we aim to scale down the audience to around 200 participants. As
it is this still the Wikimedia affiliates conference, every _eligible_
affiliate can send one (1) delegate. Furthermore, we will invite
participants from the Wikimedia Affiliate EDs (~10), WMF Board of Trustees
(10), WMF staff (~10), the committees (~15 from FDC, AffCom and Simple APG)
and additional members of the Movement Strategy working groups, that do not
come in another role (~20). You can find more information regarding this on
Meta.[1]

Registration for the Wikimedia Summit will open on November 2 and end on
December 17, 2018. We urge participants that need a visa to register no
later than November 19, so we can support them as best as possible to get a
visa for the event.

We will keep you updated in the further weeks and months via the usual
communication channels. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate
to contact us, preferably via [hidden email].

Best regards,

Daniela Gentner & Cornelius Kibelka

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Summit_2019/Eligibility_Criteria

--
Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Pine W
Hello Daniela and Cornelius,

Thank you for this update.

Can you clarify what you mean by "The next conference will focus on the
Movement Strategy process and
movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general"? Are
you referring to governance for the WMF and affiliates? Online Wikimedia
activities are organized in varying degrees, but many of those activities
are not included in the scope of affiliates or represented by affiliates.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Cornelius Kibelka
Dear Pine,

yes, "the organized part of the movement" is another term to describe the
part of the Wikimedia movement that includes the WMF, its committees and
the affiliates.

Best regards
Cornelius

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 22:23, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Daniela and Cornelius,
>
> Thank you for this update.
>
> Can you clarify what you mean by "The next conference will focus on the
> Movement Strategy process and
> movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general"? Are
> you referring to governance for the WMF and affiliates? Online Wikimedia
> activities are organized in varying degrees, but many of those activities
> are not included in the scope of affiliates or represented by affiliates.
>
> Pine

Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Cornelius Kibelka
Just to make a clarification: I made a small mistake in a sentence that
should actually be:

Furthermore, we will invite participants from the Wikimedia Affiliate EDs
> (~10), WMF Board of Trustees (10), WMF staff (*~20*), the committees (~15
> from FDC, AffCom and Simple APG) and additional members of the Movement
> Strategy working groups, that do not come in another role (~20).

I am sorry for this error,
Best regards

Cornelius

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 21:34, Cornelius Kibelka <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> --
> Cornelius Kibelka
> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> for the Wikimedia Conference

> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

--
Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Shani Evenstein
Dear Cornelius,

Could you please elaborate re the decision to not include learning and
capacity building?
Events where Wikimedians from around the world gather together do not
happen every day, and especially as there will be representatives from most
affiliates, this is a great opportunity to share knowledge and train people
so they can go back to their local communities and spread that knowledge.
Besides Wikimania, which not everyone can attend, this is the other biggest
event we have to do just that. Shouldn't we seize this opportunity,
considering that it takes so much time, effort and money to bring everyone
together?

Thanks for shedding some light on this issue.

Best,
Shani.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 12:20 AM, Cornelius Kibelka <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Pine,
>
> yes, "the organized part of the movement" is another term to describe the
> part of the Wikimedia movement that includes the WMF, its committees and
> the affiliates.
>
> Best regards
> Cornelius
>
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 22:23, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Daniela and Cornelius,
> >
> > Thank you for this update.
> >
> > Can you clarify what you mean by "The next conference will focus on the
> > Movement Strategy process and
> > movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general"?
> Are
> > you referring to governance for the WMF and affiliates? Online Wikimedia
> > activities are organized in varying degrees, but many of those activities
> > are not included in the scope of affiliates or represented by affiliates.
> >
> > Pine
> > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

> Cornelius Kibelka
> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> for the Wikimedia Conference

> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

FULBERT-2
Thank you for the update and thinking through the changing direction of the 2019 conference.

I only wish that a different term than “Capacity Building” were used as something excluded from the upcoming conference, given that it is also the name of one of the Movement Strategy working groups. I know that is not what you meant, but the irony . . .

-----

With Incredulity toward Metanarratives,

Jeffrey
User:FULBERT
[hidden email]

> On Sep 25, 2018, at 3:34 PM, Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> As Nicole Ebber already wrote a couple of weeks ago, we would like to give
> you some further information about the next Wikimedia Conference, that will
> take place from March 29–31, 2019 in Berlin, Germany.
>
> The next conference will focus on the Movement Strategy process and
> movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general. The
> program will be designed according to the status and needs of the ongoing
> Movement Strategy process and its working groups. We are hoping to see a
> diverse group of participants next year, and look forward to creating three
> days of working, discussing, and thinking together. The event is made
> possible through the generous financial support of the Wikimedia Foundation.
>
> Thus, to make it clearer that learning and capacity-building will not be
> part of the program and cut laces to the previous conference, we will
> change the name to “Wikimedia Summit” (#wmsummit).
>
> The change of the purpose of the event is accompanied by a change in the
> composition of the audience. The event will be a more focused one, and
> therefore we aim to scale down the audience to around 200 participants. As
> it is this still the Wikimedia affiliates conference, every _eligible_
> affiliate can send one (1) delegate. Furthermore, we will invite
> participants from the Wikimedia Affiliate EDs (~10), WMF Board of Trustees
> (10), WMF staff (~10), the committees (~15 from FDC, AffCom and Simple APG)
> and additional members of the Movement Strategy working groups, that do not
> come in another role (~20). You can find more information regarding this on
> Meta.[1]
>
> Registration for the Wikimedia Summit will open on November 2 and end on
> December 17, 2018. We urge participants that need a visa to register no
> later than November 19, so we can support them as best as possible to get a
> visa for the event.
>
> We will keep you updated in the further weeks and months via the usual
> communication channels. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate
> to contact us, preferably via [hidden email].
>
> Best regards,
>
> Daniela Gentner & Cornelius Kibelka
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Summit_2019/Eligibility_Criteria
>
> --
> Cornelius Kibelka
> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> for the Wikimedia Conference

> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Pine W
Hi Cornelius,

Thank you for the clarification. I suggest a change of wording, because
"the organized part of the movement" is much broader than WMF, its
committees, and the affiliates. I suggest that a suitable name for the
conference would be the "Wikimedia Affiliates Summit", which would be more
accurate than the "Wikimedia Summit".

In general, I think that it's best to ask for public comment before making
significant changes such as renaming international conferences.

Thank you,

Pine

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 9:20 PM Cornelius Kibelka <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Pine,
>
> yes, "the organized part of the movement" is another term to describe the
> part of the Wikimedia movement that includes the WMF, its committees and
> the affiliates.
>
> Best regards
> Cornelius
>
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 22:23, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello Daniela and Cornelius,
> >
> > Thank you for this update.
> >
> > Can you clarify what you mean by "The next conference will focus on the
> > Movement Strategy process and
> > movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general"?
> Are
> > you referring to governance for the WMF and affiliates? Online Wikimedia
> > activities are organized in varying degrees, but many of those activities
> > are not included in the scope of affiliates or represented by affiliates.
> >
> > Pine
> > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

> Cornelius Kibelka
> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> for the Wikimedia Conference

> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Cornelius Kibelka
Dear Shani,

sure, I'm happy to explain my rationale. The decision has a longer
rationale, based on our experiences from organizing the last Wikimedia
Conferences with its usual format (as in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018). Early
this year, we have published a three year report (2015–2017) on the last
Wikimedia Conferences.[1] As stated in this report, we came to the
conclusion (among others[2]) that the format of having everything in one
place (conversations about the future of the movement/Movement Strategy,
learning/capacity-building, peer-to-peer exchange/networking, etc.) has its
limits and doesn't work anymore.

The Movement has grown a lot over the last years. That means also that the
diversity among the conference participants became bigger and bigger, and
it became increasingly hard to create a program based on the needs, wishes
and experiences of the participants that satisfied all of them.
Additionally, we think that learning on a global has its strong limits, as
the knowledge shared is only applicable in really specific circumstances or
is too general. Learning on regional, national, local or thematic events
has proven to be more successful. The recent Community Engagement Insights
survey gave a similar indication.[3]

With a stronger focus of this event (and a complete change in this set-up:
It's the platform for the Movement Strategy process, and not the other way
around), there comes also a stronger support (and increase) of regional and
thematic events, as agreed with the Wikimedia Foundation. I have talked
with different organizers of regional events that agreed to focus stronger
on capacity-building at their events.

Thus, this decision does not come out of the blue. We have shared this
report, I have shared this at other events (Wikimedia Conference 2018[4],
Wikimania 2018[5]), it was shared previously on this mailing list, I have
talked with most speakers of the Wikimedia Conference 2018, the Wikimedia
Chapter EDs, the organizers of the upcoming regional conferences. Apart
from some particular criticism, the feedback for this decision was
basically unanimously positive.

I hope that helps. Happy to answer any questions regarding this.

Best regards,
Cornelius

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference/2015%E2%80%932017_Report
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference/2015%E2%80%932017_Report/Conclusions
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference/2015%E2%80%932017_Report/Conclusions>
[3]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Community_Engagement_Insights/2018_Report#Community_Resources_team:_Local_and_regional_events_show_more_learning_and_building_skills_as_major_outcomes_than_larger_global_conferences,_while_Wikimania_excels_in_discovery_of_the_new
[4]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Conference_2018/Reading_material#Future_of_the_Wikimedia_Conference
[5]
https://wikimania2018.wikimedia.org/wiki/Program/We_learned_one_thing_from_organizing_the_Wikimedia_Conference._How_could_we_apply_this_in_the_Movement%3F

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 23:30, Shani Evenstein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > http://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> > Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

I beg to differ on two points:
As the Wikimedia Foundation is an essential part of this event, I don't
consider "Wikimedia Affiliates Summit" as more accurate. This event covers,
as mentioned before, the "organized (or "structured") part of the Wikimedia
movement". As 'Wikimedia Summit' has not been used before in the Wikimedia
movement (only for the 'Developers Summit'), I think this name is fresh,
unused, short and easy to understand.

While I have asked for feedback on the concept extensively via different
channels and opportunities, I think, it's not a wise decision to ask for
public comment for a renaming. I consider the name of a conference as one
of less relevant parts of organizing a conference. I would encourage to
give feedback on more relevant issues than the name of an event.

Best regards
Cornelius

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 07:42, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Cornelius,
>
> Thank you for the clarification. I suggest a change of wording, because
> "the organized part of the movement" is much broader than WMF, its
> committees, and the affiliates. I suggest that a suitable name for the
> conference would be the "Wikimedia Affiliates Summit", which would be more
> accurate than the "Wikimedia Summit".
>
> In general, I think that it's best to ask for public comment before making
> significant changes such as renaming international conferences.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Pine
>

> On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 9:20 PM Cornelius Kibelka <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear Pine,
> >
> > yes, "the organized part of the movement" is another term to describe the
> > part of the Wikimedia movement that includes the WMF, its committees and
> > the affiliates.
> >
> > Best regards
> > Cornelius
> >
> > On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 22:23, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Daniela and Cornelius,
> > >
> > > Thank you for this update.
> > >
> > > Can you clarify what you mean by "The next conference will focus on the
> > > Movement Strategy process and
> > > movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general"?
> > Are
> > > you referring to governance for the WMF and affiliates? Online
> Wikimedia
> > > activities are organized in varying degrees, but many of those
> activities
> > > are not included in the scope of affiliates or represented by
> affiliates.
> > >
> > > Pine
> > > ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )

> > Cornelius Kibelka
> > Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> > for the Wikimedia Conference
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > http://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> > Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Cornelius Kibelka
Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
for the Wikimedia Conference

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
http://wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Paulo Santos Perneta
 Hi everybody,

Just a quick message to tell that, having experimented the former format of
the WMCON, I fully agree with Cornelius vision of the Summit. Though I
really loved the old format, I do agree it will be much more productive
this new way, and the funds are much better used on such a more focused
event. Also, the kind of people that work the strategy in the affiliates is
not necessarily (and often is not) the same that profits most from learning
and "capacity building" events.

Abraço,

Paulo

Cornelius Kibelka <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quarta,
26/09/2018 à(s) 10:05:

> [...]
> > > Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > > http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> > unter
> > > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

> Cornelius Kibelka
> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> for the Wikimedia Conference

> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Florence Devouard-6
I think it is a very good move.

Berlin conference has a big default, which is that, contrariwise to our
mouvement, it is not inclusive. This is a closed conference where only
specific people may go. That naturally let out a whole lot of people.
All those who do great things, but who are not representative of an
affiliate. Berlin has become so big that increasingly, many decisions
are made over there, in a closed environment. And those who are not part
it are missing opportunities to weight in. And with the increasing
number of affiliates, making this closed conference a central point for
thinking, sharing, learning, is likely to create a *huge* monster very
difficult to organise and very costly.

I hear you when you say "it was a great opportunity to share knowledge
and train people". This is true. But there is no reason not to provide
this opportunity in more venues or more regularly.

This move means we have more leverage to organize thematic-based or
regional-based events, with open participation. We should make sure that
all those events involve "learning" elements. And we need more support
from WMF (other any affiliates) to organise the other events.

Florence

Le 25/09/2018 à 23:28, Shani Evenstein a écrit :

> Dear Cornelius,
>
> Could you please elaborate re the decision to not include learning and
> capacity building?
> Events where Wikimedians from around the world gather together do not
> happen every day, and especially as there will be representatives from most
> affiliates, this is a great opportunity to share knowledge and train people
> so they can go back to their local communities and spread that knowledge.
> Besides Wikimania, which not everyone can attend, this is the other biggest
> event we have to do just that. Shouldn't we seize this opportunity,
> considering that it takes so much time, effort and money to bring everyone
> together?
>
> Thanks for shedding some light on this issue.
>
> Best,
> Shani.
>
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 12:20 AM, Cornelius Kibelka <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear Pine,
>>
>> yes, "the organized part of the movement" is another term to describe the
>> part of the Wikimedia movement that includes the WMF, its committees and
>> the affiliates.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Cornelius
>>
>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 22:23, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Daniela and Cornelius,
>>>
>>> Thank you for this update.
>>>
>>> Can you clarify what you mean by "The next conference will focus on the
>>> Movement Strategy process and
>>> movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general"?
>> Are
>>> you referring to governance for the WMF and affiliates? Online Wikimedia
>>> activities are organized in varying degrees, but many of those activities
>>> are not included in the scope of affiliates or represented by affiliates.
>>>
>>> Pine
>>> ( https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Pine )
>>

>> --
>> Cornelius Kibelka
>> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
>> for the Wikimedia Conference
>>
>> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
>> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
>> http://wikimedia.de
>>
>> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
>> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
>> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
>>
>> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
>> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter
>> der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
>> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Jane Darnell
Yes, +1 to "This move means we have more leverage to organize
thematic-based or
regional-based events, with open participation. We should make sure that
all those events involve "learning" elements. And we need more support
from WMF (other any affiliates) to organise the other events."

I did attend the Berlin conference in 2017 for the strategy sessions and
even there you tend to get overloaded with information while concentrating
on specific tasks. I think it's a good idea to split out gatherings into
specific elements and then spread them around the world, because it gets
exhausting to try to do everything everywhere and at the same time at these
multi-purpose events. Alternatively, perhaps some of the key players could
be asked to answer short interviews on specific topics, which would greatly
reduce the need to fly around all the time. I know from experience that the
quickest way to learn stuff is to sit at a computer next to someone in the
know. However you can only ask people to do that a limited number of times.
It gets to the point where one only wants to help the people who one is
100% certain are going to use what one teaches them...short videos on
Commons might help with that problem.

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 9:07 AM Devouard (gmail) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> affiliates.

> >> --
> >> Cornelius Kibelka
> >> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> >> for the Wikimedia Conference
> >>
> >> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> >> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> >> http://wikimedia.de
> >>
> >> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> >> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> >> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
> >>
> >> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> >> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> >> der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> >> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Chris Keating-2
I have so many questions.

Is anything concrete planned to replace the learning and capacity-building
work that used to happen at WMCON? (Or has the identification of capacity
building as a strategic priority just resulted in .... the abandonment of
the main capacity building event?)

And why after two "strategy focused" conferences, do we need another one?
What will it achieve except acres more flipchart? How many conferences do
we expect to need before the strategic direction starts to become a reality?

Chris

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018, 20:34 Cornelius Kibelka, <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> As Nicole Ebber already wrote a couple of weeks ago, we would like to give
> you some further information about the next Wikimedia Conference, that will
> take place from March 29–31, 2019 in Berlin, Germany.
>
> The next conference will focus on the Movement Strategy process and
> movement governance for the organized part of the movement in general. The
> program will be designed according to the status and needs of the ongoing
> Movement Strategy process and its working groups. We are hoping to see a
> diverse group of participants next year, and look forward to creating three
> days of working, discussing, and thinking together. The event is made
> possible through the generous financial support of the Wikimedia
> Foundation.
>
> Thus, to make it clearer that learning and capacity-building will not be
> part of the program and cut laces to the previous conference, we will
> change the name to “Wikimedia Summit” (#wmsummit).
>
> The change of the purpose of the event is accompanied by a change in the
> composition of the audience. The event will be a more focused one, and
> therefore we aim to scale down the audience to around 200 participants. As
> it is this still the Wikimedia affiliates conference, every _eligible_
> affiliate can send one (1) delegate. Furthermore, we will invite
> participants from the Wikimedia Affiliate EDs (~10), WMF Board of Trustees
> (10), WMF staff (~10), the committees (~15 from FDC, AffCom and Simple APG)
> and additional members of the Movement Strategy working groups, that do not
> come in another role (~20). You can find more information regarding this on
> Meta.[1]
>
> Registration for the Wikimedia Summit will open on November 2 and end on
> December 17, 2018. We urge participants that need a visa to register no
> later than November 19, so we can support them as best as possible to get a
> visa for the event.
>
> We will keep you updated in the further weeks and months via the usual
> communication channels. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate
> to contact us, preferably via [hidden email].
>
> Best regards,
>
> Daniela Gentner & Cornelius Kibelka
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Summit_2019/Eligibility_Criteria
>
> --
> Cornelius Kibelka
> Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> for the Wikimedia Conference

> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Paulo Santos Perneta
Hey Chris,

I'm also not specially fond of those "flipchart" workshops/sessions. I
understand they are needed, but "that's not my beach", so to speak. Maybe I
got it wrong, but I understood the strategy focus on the kind of
connections, deals and partnerships everybody was already doing there:
Projects between chapters, international cooperation, exchange of
experiences in chapter governance, brainstorming about specific problems,
and so on.

That interaction then optimally would lead to the organization of a number
of more localized /regional-level, and more inclusive/overreaching,
capacity building /learning events, which would be in turn much more
effective than shifting two persons to Berlin that will attempt to
participate in everything and its mother, while doing all that
connection/strategic stuff in the betweens.

Paulo

Chris Keating <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quarta,
26/09/2018 à(s) 21:17:

> [...]
> >
> > --
> > Cornelius Kibelka
> > Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> > for the Wikimedia Conference
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > http://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> > Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

I understand the reasons for the change to the content of the conference,
but I will continue to disagree on the name and the importance of naming
things <https://hilton.org.uk/blog/why-naming-things-is-hard>. In the
Wikiverse there is a large vocabulary for tools, policies, namespaces,
frameworks, etc., and I for one invest substantial time and effort into
deciding the names for anything that I think may be high profile. WMF
Communications could probably produce a full day workshop about branding,
and I associate the art of naming things closely with the art of branding.

Regarding the event, the summit is not an all-Wikimedia summit; it is a
summit for WMF, WMF committees, and affiliate organizations. So I consider
"Wikimedia Summit" to be a misleading name, and would encourage you to
think further about it. Perhaps the name could be a subject that is
discussed at the conference.

Good luck with the new focus of the event. I am cautiously supportive of
the change of content.

Pine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Asaf Bartov-2
On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 4:07 PM Devouard (gmail) <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think it is a very good move.
>
> Berlin conference has a big default, which is that, contrariwise to our
> mouvement, it is not inclusive. This is a closed conference where only
> specific people may go. That naturally let out a whole lot of people.
> All those who do great things, but who are not representative of an
> affiliate.

True.  But:

> Berlin has become so big that increasingly, many decisions
> are made over there, in a closed environment. And those who are not part
> it are missing opportunities to weight in.

I have been to every Wikimedia Conference since 2009, and I disagree with
this characterization.  I am hard-pressed to think of *decisions* made at
WMCON.  I remember discussions, feedback-gathering (e.g. the recent
strategy work), but not *decisions*.  The only *decisions* I can think of
actually made at the Wikimedia Conference are either: 1. committee
decisions (e.g. AffCom), using the conference for a face-to-face meeting
and making the same kinds of decisions they otherwise make online, or 2.
decisions between a group of volunteers to collaborate on something (i.e.
individuals inspiring each other into undertaking a volunteer project, e.g.
WLM).

Characterizing this conference as a secretive decision-making cabal is
untrue and unfair, and may give people who've never been to it a very wrong
impression.

   A.
--
    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Nicole Ebber
Hi Chris,

I can comment on your question why we need another strategy conference: The
Wikimedia 2030 process is ongoing, and is building – among many other
inputs – upon the outcomes of the last two conferences. Organized groups
are already working on the implementation of the Strategic Direction in
their own strategic/annual planning and programmatic work, and Working
Groups start developing recommendations for change on the structural level
of the movement.

In spring 2019, these groups will need feedback and input from the
movement's organized groups and the Wikimedia Summit – alongside other
opportunities for community consultations – will be build as a platform to
synchronize the Working Groups' work and to gather and synthesize this
input and agree upon next steps.

I hope this helps to shed some light on the need for this event. Please let
me know if you have further questions. We'll also be presenting the current
state of the strategy process at today's activities meeting; if you're
interested in tuning in:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_monthly_activities_meetings

All the best
Nicole

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 at 22:18, Chris Keating <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Summit_2019/Eligibility_Criteria
> >
> > --
> > Cornelius Kibelka
> > Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> > for the Wikimedia Conference
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > http://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> > Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> unter
> > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

Adviser International Relations
Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy
http://wikimedia.de

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Yaroslav Blanter
This is very remarkable that nobody is actually interested in input from
what the WMF functionaries now call "unorganized volunteers" - people who
actually work in the projects. We are just not in the picture. Good luck
with that. Do not be surprised to see a huge number of volunteers to oppose
the strategy document again, as it happened last year.

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 12:54 PM Nicole Ebber <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cornelius Kibelka
> > > Program and Engagement Coordinator (PEC)
> > > for the Wikimedia Conference
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0
> > > http://wikimedia.de
> > >
> > > Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> > > Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> > > http://spenden.wikimedia.de/
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e. V.
> > > Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg
> > unter
> > > der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> > > Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207

> Nicole Ebber
> Adviser International Relations
> Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Odp: Re: Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

Yaroslav Blanter
Hi Michal,

thank you for your reaction. No, I am personally not interested in
attending the Wikimedia conference or whatever name it has now. I am
unhappy with that, from my viewpoint, the opinions of what is called
unorganized volunteers is discarded.

- On stage 1, I participated in some discussions in the projects. I do not
see any traces of that discussion in the final document. On one occasion,
we were told that we are not discussing what we should be discussing.
However, we are writing the content - if we thing smth is important, and if
this smth is strategic, I expect the functionaries which are getting salary
from the funds raised because of our input, to at least take it seriously
and not dismiss it. I reported the case here, I got responses of the type
"this is not good", and nothing happened.

- When the was a call for strategy groups, I applied and was rejected.
Other people applied and were rejected. The report of the selection
committee essentially says that there were too many unorganized volunteers.
(To give a bit of a background, I speak five languages, lived in four
countries, and active in four Wikimedia projects, but I am not a member of
any affiliate). Fine. Nobody complains there are too many unorganized
volunteers to create content

- Now the strategy will be discussed at a conference, and it will be
discussed at local events. But I am not interested in going to these
events. I am a content creator, highly involved in the project governance
(I have administrator flag on four projects and a crat flag on one).It is
ok if the strategy is being discussed at the meetings where mostly
functionaries go, but it should be discussed at the projects - where
content is created - and not just in the form of the approval of a text
which has been drafted elsewhere and already approved by functionaries. As
it stands, it will be strategy for functionaries. Do not then expect
projects to follow smth they have not been asked to participate in creation
of.

I am not really happy to antagonize functionaries and content creators,
especially since I respect a few of functionaries for what they have done
and are still doing on the projects (and some of them are heavily working
on content), but we have come across too many things in the recent years
which suggest that the opinions of the projects are not properly respected,
and the strategy thing is just one of them.

Cheers
Yaroslav

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 2:06 PM Michał Buczyński <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> find more information regarding  this  &gt; on  &gt; &gt; Meta.[1]  &gt;
> &gt;  &gt; &gt; Registration for the Wikimedia Summit will open on November
> 2 and end  on  &gt; &gt; December 17, 2018. We urge participants that need
> a visa to register no  &gt; &gt; later than November 19, so we can support
> them as best as possible to  &gt; get a  &gt; &gt; visa for the event.
> &gt; &gt;  &gt; &gt; We will keep you updated in the further weeks and
> months via the usual  &gt; &gt; communication channels. If you have any
> questions, please do not  hesitate  &gt; &gt; to contact us, preferably via
> [hidden email].  &gt; &gt;  &gt; &gt; Best regards,  &gt; &gt;
> &gt; &gt; Daniela Gentner &amp; Cornelius Kibelka  &gt; &gt;  &gt; &gt;
> [1]  &gt; &gt;  &gt;  meta.wikimedia.org meta.wikimedia.org  &gt; &gt;
> &gt; &gt; --  &gt; &gt; Cornelius Kibelka  &gt; &gt; Program and Engagement
> Coordinator (PEC)  &gt; &gt; for the Wikimedia Conference  &gt; &gt;  &gt;
> &gt; Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> &gt; &gt; Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0  &gt; &gt;  wikimedia.de wikimedia.de
> &gt; &gt;  &gt; &gt; Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an
> der Menge allen  &gt; &gt; Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns
> dabei!  &gt; &gt;  spenden.wikimedia.de spenden.wikimedia.de  &gt; &gt;
> &gt; &gt; Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens
> e. V.  &gt; &gt; Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg  &gt; unter  &gt; &gt; der Nummer 23855 B. Als
> gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für  &gt; &gt; Körperschaften I
> Berlin, Steuernummer 27/029/42207  &gt; &gt;
> meta.wikimedia.org  and  &gt;  meta.wikimedia.org meta.wikimedia.org
> &gt; New messages to:   [hidden email]  &gt;
> Unsubscribe:  lists.wikimedia.org lists.wikimedia.org  &gt; &lt;mailto:
> wikimedia-l-request@li     --  Nicole Ebber  Adviser International
> Relations  Program Manager Wikimedia 2030 Movement Strategy  Wikimedia
> Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin  wikimedia.de
> wikimedia.de   Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien
> Wissens e. V.  Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg unter  der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt
> durch das Finanzamt für  Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer
> 27/029/42207.  ______________________________  Wikimedia-l mailing list,
> guidelines at:  meta.wikimedia.org meta.wikimedia.org  and
> meta.wikimedia.org meta.wikimedia.org  New messages to:
>  [hidden email]  Unsubscribe:  lists.wikimedia.org
> lists.wikimedia.org  &lt;mailto:wikimedia-l-request@li
> meta.wikimedia.org meta.wikimedia.org  and  meta.wikimedia.org
> meta.wikimedia.org  New messages to:   [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe:  lists.wikimedia.org lists.wikimedia.org  &lt;mailto:
> wikimedia-l-request@li

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Odp: Re: Wikimedia Conference 2019: New name, new concept, eligbility criteria

I second Yaroslav here. Last year it was very obvious how disconnected was
that strategy thing with the communities that actually build the projects.
All that reached wiki.pt were kind of obvious generalities without much to
tell about, which were generally ignored by the community. The Strategy
Working Groups that were created in July apparently follow on that
disconnection. Probably some day some alien stuff will be posted at our
Village Pump, and will be ignored again. What I feel is that members of the
community that are thinking in strategical terms (ways of fixing newbies,
new kind of activities, better and bigger engagement with educational and
cultural institutions, reaching out to rural communities, to minorities,
etc.) they can't count on that Strategy Groups for nothing, but rather
create their own if they really want to do something.  It may be that I'm
limited, but I do fail to see much utility on those Working Groups, at
least for those communities that are not represented there. It looks like a
lot of resources wasted in something with a kind of doubtful utility.

Anyway, if I well understood, the only relation those Strategy Working
Groups have with the Wikimedia Summit is that they will be there with the
purpose of trying to reach to the representatives of the affiliates and
talk with them, and that's all. The rest will be between affiliates,
committees, etc.

Paulo

Yaroslav Blanter <[hidden email]> escreveu no dia quinta, 27/09/2018 à(s)
17:03: