[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia DC Book Grant Program Announcement

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia DC Book Grant Program Announcement

keilanawiki@gmail.com
Hello all! (Apologies for cross-posting!)

I’m pleased to announce the second round of Wikimedia DC Book Grants, a
pilot program in which we help provide editors with resources they need to
improve Wikimedia projects. If you live in the United States and actively
edit Wikimedia projects, you are eligible; you do not have to be a member
of WMDC or edit English projects.

Applications are open for one week, from today through Monday, April 4. We
expect to let people know by April 10 whether or not their grant request
has been funded.

More information is available on the Wikimedia DC website [1].

Apply for a grant here: https://podio.com/webforms/14722557/986696

[1] https://wikimediadc.org/wiki/Book_grants

Thanks,

Emily Temple-Wood
Vice President, Wikimedia District of Columbia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia DC Book Grant Program Announcement

Asaf Bartov-2
Excellent. :)

Does that mean there have been (positive?) conclusions from the first
pilot?  Is that assessment documented somewhere?

   A.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Keilana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello all! (Apologies for cross-posting!)
>

> I’m pleased to announce the second round of Wikimedia DC Book Grants, a
> pilot program in which we help provide editors with resources they need to
> improve Wikimedia projects. If you live in the United States and actively
> edit Wikimedia projects, you are eligible; you do not have to be a member
> of WMDC or edit English projects.
>
> Applications are open for one week, from today through Monday, April 4. We
> expect to let people know by April 10 whether or not their grant request
> has been funded.
>
> More information is available on the Wikimedia DC website [1].
>
> Apply for a grant here: https://podio.com/webforms/14722557/986696
>

> [1] https://wikimediadc.org/wiki/Book_grants
>
> Thanks,
>
> Emily Temple-Wood
> Vice President, Wikimedia District of Columbia

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia DC Book Grant Program Announcement

Kirill Lokshin-3
We did a preliminary assessment of the first pilot's outcomes in December,
with very promising results (50+ new articles created, 10+ articles
promoted to GA, and solid plans for continuing work).  Our plan is to
conduct a more detailed evaluation in August/September and include those
results in our annual report.

Kirill

--
Kirill Lokshin
President
Wikimedia District of Columbia
[hidden email]
https://wikimediadc.org

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent. :)
>
> Does that mean there have been (positive?) conclusions from the first
> pilot?  Is that assessment documented somewhere?
>
>    A.
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Keilana <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello all! (Apologies for cross-posting!)
> >

> > I’m pleased to announce the second round of Wikimedia DC Book Grants, a
> > pilot program in which we help provide editors with resources they need
> > improve Wikimedia projects. If you live in the United States and actively
> > edit Wikimedia projects, you are eligible; you do not have to be a member
> > of WMDC or edit English projects.
> >
> > Applications are open for one week, from today through Monday, April 4.
> We
> > expect to let people know by April 10 whether or not their grant request
> > has been funded.
> >
> > More information is available on the Wikimedia DC website [1].
> >
> > Apply for a grant here: https://podio.com/webforms/14722557/986696
> >

> > [1] https://wikimediadc.org/wiki/Book_grants
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Emily Temple-Wood
> > Vice President, Wikimedia District of Columbia

>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia DC Book Grant Program Announcement

Asaf Bartov-2
Great, I'm glad to hear!

(not sure why we're cross-posting to the gender gap list.)

   A.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Kirill Lokshin <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> We did a preliminary assessment of the first pilot's outcomes in December,
> with very promising results (50+ new articles created, 10+ articles
> promoted to GA, and solid plans for continuing work).  Our plan is to
> conduct a more detailed evaluation in August/September and include those
> results in our annual report.
>
> Kirill
>
> --
> Kirill Lokshin
> President
> Wikimedia District of Columbia
> [hidden email]
> https://wikimediadc.org
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Excellent. :)
> >
> > Does that mean there have been (positive?) conclusions from the first
> > pilot?  Is that assessment documented somewhere?
> >
> >    A.
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 11:56 AM, Keilana <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all! (Apologies for cross-posting!)
> > >

> > > I’m pleased to announce the second round of Wikimedia DC Book Grants, a
> > > pilot program in which we help provide editors with resources they need
> > > improve Wikimedia projects. If you live in the United States and
> actively
> > > edit Wikimedia projects, you are eligible; you do not have to be a
> member
> > > of WMDC or edit English projects.
> > >
> > > Applications are open for one week, from today through Monday, April 4.
> > We
> > > expect to let people know by April 10 whether or not their grant
> request
> > > has been funded.
> > >
> > > More information is available on the Wikimedia DC website [1].
> > >
> > > Apply for a grant here: https://podio.com/webforms/14722557/986696
> > >

> > > [1] https://wikimediadc.org/wiki/Book_grants
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Emily Temple-Wood
> > > Vice President, Wikimedia District of Columbia

> >     Asaf Bartov
> >     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
> > https://donate.wikimedia.org

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org
Rob

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia DC Book Grant Program Announcement

Rob
Systemic bias issues on Wikipedia are often exacerbated by the lack of
digital resources in certain subject areas.  (Another reason for this
librarian to get annoyed when people say everything is online.....)  The
book grant program is a great way to help address this.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 4:00 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great, I'm glad to hear!
>
> (not sure why we're cross-posting to the gender gap list.)
>
>    A.
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 12:52 PM, Kirill Lokshin <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > We did a preliminary assessment of the first pilot's outcomes in
> December,
> > with very promising results (50+ new articles created, 10+ articles
> > promoted to GA, and solid plans for continuing work).  Our plan is to
> > conduct a more detailed evaluation in August/September and include those
> > results in our annual report.
> >
> > Kirill
> >
> > --
> > Kirill Lokshin
> > President
> > Wikimedia District of Columbia
> > [hidden email]
> > https://wikimediadc.org
> >
> > On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 3:39 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Excellent. :)
> > >
> > > Does that mean there have been (positive?) conclusions from the first
> > > pilot?  Is that assessment documented somewhere?
> > >
> > >    A.

> Grants, a
> need
> > actively
> > member

> 4.
> > > We
> > request

> > > --
> > >     Asaf Bartov
> > >     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>
> > >
> > > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
> > > https://donate.wikimedia.org

>     Asaf Bartov
>     Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia DC Book Grant Program Announcement

Sam Klein
Wonderful!

I still think Erik's suggestion long ago that there should just be an
Amazon bot that automatically approves & logs book orders from long-time
editors, was a great one.  There might still be a need for these
higher-overhead programs (possibly e.g. for people who want more privacy
about their request?) but this would be a lovely service in many regions.

SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266