[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board Recruitment Kick-Off

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board Recruitment Kick-Off

Nataliia Tymkiv
Dear all,

We would like to announce that we are officially beginning recruitment for
two open appointed positions on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees.
This email will outline the process and timeline for the recruitment.

The Board initially began discussions on recruitment in May-June 2016 [1].
After a pause, the Board Governance Committee (BGC) has renewed recruitment
for its vacant appointed seats and would love to share an update with you
today.

With support from Anna Stillwell (from the Talent & Culture department) and
Michelle Paulson (our interim General Counsel), the BGC developed four
candidate profiles for the vacant and soon-to-be-vacant seats and gave its
recommendations to the Board in December 2016.

During its December meeting, the Board decided that it hopes to find the
following types of experience and expertise:

   1.

   Growing a global movement: apply
   <https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567318?gh_src=3vh7tx1#.WIZGvrYrL-Y>
   [2]
   2.

   Engaging new communities: apply
   <https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567342?gh_src=b1ftgs1#.WIZL_FyzlP1>
   [3]
   3.

   Social sector governance: apply
   <https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567375?gh_src=5gwopi1#.WIZMoFyzlP1>
   [4]

After that Anna, Michelle, and the Communications team integrated Board
feedback and developed recruitment materials, which include background
information about the Wikimedia movement and Foundation as well as the
profiles describing the types of candidates we are looking for. These
recruitment materials can be found at:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/?curid=55283092 [5].

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees currently has two vacant
appointed seats. We also have a vacant community-selected seat, but this
seat will be filled through the community selection process. The Election
Committee, who runs the election process for community-selected seats, will
provide further information about the process and timeline at a later date.
We hope to have all three candidates join the Board no later than Wikimania
in August.

We will begin accepting applications and referrals for these positions
today and will close the submission period on Monday, 06 March 2017 at
17:00 PST. A more detailed timeline of the full recruitment process is
available on Meta here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/?curid=10176203 [6].

Applicants may apply online at:
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Work_with_us#Wikimedia_Careers. We
also accept applications and referrals by email at
[hidden email].

Over the next six weeks, we invite you all to tell us about people who are
potentially interested in serving the Wikimedia community on the Wikimedia
Foundation Board of Trustees. And we look forward to hearing from you.

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/2016_competence_matrix

[2]
https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567318?gh_src=3vh7tx1#.WIZMiFyzlP1

[3]
https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567342?gh_src=b1ftgs1#.WIZL_FyzlP1

[4]
https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567375?gh_src=5gwopi1#.WIZMoFyzlP1

[5]
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2017_Board_Recruiting_Candidate_Packet.pdf

[6]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_Governance_Committee/Board_Recruitment

Best regards,
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

*NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
advance!*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board Recruitment Kick-Off

Lodewijk
Hi Nataliia,

Thanks for the update. It's promising to see a closed timeline for the
board recruitment.

I am wondering though, when do you expect to wrap up the process for the
appointed seats? There's always been a lot of talk that the community and
affiliates don't take the needs of the board in certain areas into account
- and it would probably be good if the board could communicate back before
the election process starts what kind of expertise they're looking for.

I guess that is not going to fly this time around, as you will be in the
middle of a search for the expert seats? Any chance these timelines may
support each other?

Best,
Lodewijk

> [...]
> ftgs1#.WIZL_FyzlP1
>
> [4]
> https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567375?gh_src=5g
> wopi1#.WIZMoFyzlP1
>
> [5]
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2017_Board_Recruitin
> g_Candidate_Packet.pdf
>
> [6]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_
> Governance_Committee/Board_Recruitment
>
> Best regards,
> antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
>
> *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
> hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
> should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
> advance!*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board Recruitment Kick-Off

Joseph Fox
Hey Lodewijk - looks like there is at least some indication on the "Work
with us" page here: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Work_with_us

They're looking for two of:

   - Growing a Global Movement
   - Engaging New Communities
   - Social Sector Governance

Joe

On Tue, 24 Jan 2017 at 01:36 Lodewijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > ftgs1#.WIZL_FyzlP1
> >
> > [4]
> > https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567375?gh_src=5g
> > wopi1#.WIZMoFyzlP1
> >
> > [5]
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2017_Board_Recruitin
> > g_Candidate_Packet.pdf
> >
> > [6]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_
> > Governance_Committee/Board_Recruitment
> >
> > Best regards,
> > antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
> >
> > *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal
> working
> > hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
> > should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
> > advance!*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board Recruitment Kick-Off

Anna Stillwell
Hello Lodewijk,

Good to hear from you.

In Nataliia's original email she wrote:

The Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees currently has two vacant
appointed seats. We also have a vacant community-selected seat, but this
seat will be filled through the community selection process. *The Election*
*Committee, who runs the election process for community-selected seats,
will*
*provide further information about the process and timeline at a later
date.*
We hope to have all three candidates join the Board no later than Wikimania
in August.

Hope that helps.
Warmly,
/a

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 1:35 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > [3]
> > https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567342?gh_src=b1
> > ftgs1#.WIZL_FyzlP1
> >
> > [4]
> > https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/567375?gh_src=5g
> > wopi1#.WIZMoFyzlP1
> >
> > [5]
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2017_Board_Recruitin
> > g_Candidate_Packet.pdf
> >
> > [6]
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_
> > Governance_Committee/Board_Recruitment
> >
> > Best regards,
> > antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
> >
> > *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal
> working
> > hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
> > should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in

"If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it." - Margaret
Fuller

Anna Stillwell
Director of Culture
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board Recruitment Kick-Off

Lodewijk
Hi Anna,

Thanks for the quote. I read that in the email as well - but it doesn't
answer the interaction between the two timelines though. It's mostly the
interaction between the two processes I'm interested in at this point.

The moment that the candidates join the board could be many months later
than when the decision has been made. This actually was suggested as a best
practice, if I recall correctly, for an effective transfer of knowledge to
the incoming board members before they take up their duties.

I hope the board took this interaction between processes into account while
planning, but I suspect it at least didn't end up being possible. But maybe
Nataliia sees other ways how the timelines can support each other. I hope
they are not being developed in vacuum.

Best regards,
Lodewijk

> [...]
> > > Governance_Committee/Board_Recruitment
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv
> > >
> > > *NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal
> > working
> > > hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend.
> You
> > > should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you
> in
> > > advance!*

> "If you have knowledge, let others light their candles in it." - Margaret
> Fuller
>
> Anna Stillwell
> Director of Culture
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.806.1536
> *www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board Recruitment Kick-Off

Hello!

Thank you for the question, Lodewijk.

The Board Elections Committee kickoff meeting

is planned for January 31st, and I hope the discussion

about how the two processes can support each other

would be on the table as soon as the Committee will

determine its own timeline for the process.

Personally I would like us working together:

the BGC and the Board and the ED have identified some

expertise we lack, and the development of these three profiles

is the result from those discussions. A possible role of the

Elections Committee was discussed before, but the vision on

how exactly was not finalized, so it indeed ended up

not being possible at this point and with this timeline.

Ideally I would see us working on the whole picture:

what we need at all, and then filling the positions we need

through whatever selection processes there are.

If we couldn't find somebody with the expertise we needed

during the appointed seats search, we can continue looking for them

during the community selection, etc.

But for this to happen the timelines should not be so close.

Even though we have three profiles developed for two seats,

the profile we were unable to find via appointed seats search

will be known too late for the Elections Committee

to take it into consideration. The fourth profile

(discussed, but not prioritized for this appointed seats search)

was Technology Innovation. It would be nice to have it on the table

via the community selection process.

To be clear, as with all Trustee roles, this competency

is not someone who will get involved in the technical details

or day-to-day operations.

I think that a discussion involving the community about what more

the Board needs would be welcome before the selection process starts,

so we can concentrate on recruiting candidates with the competences

that we need to stand for election. But I do believe that it greatly
depends on how

the Committee will organize its work and the selection process.

Best regards,
antanana / Nataliia Tymkiv

*NOTICE: You may have received this message outside of your normal working
hours/days, as I usually can work more as a volunteer during weekend. You
should not feel obligated to answer it during your days off. Thank you in
advance!*