[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees appointments and officer positions

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees appointments and officer positions

Christophe Henner-3
Hi everyone,

As is customary, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees met right
before Wikimania and appointed new trustees and elected its officers.

This is a rare occasion as I will not need to write a farewell email. The
two Board members that were finishing their terms, María and Dariusz, were
re-elected after the recent community election. And as of today, James
Heilman has formally rejoined the Board of Trustees.

Today the Board also elected the officer positions. I am pleased to report
that the Board has reiterated its trust in the current officers, and both
María and I will continue serving as Vice Chair and Chair of the Board,
respectively, for another year.

It feels a little weird to write this email as there's not much change from
last year. But I believe that stability and continuity are more than
welcome!

So please, join me in "welcoming" María, Dariusz, and James as trustees of
the Wikimedia Foundation Board.

María Sefidari began contributing to the Wikimedia projects in 2006 and has
since served in several roles across the Wikimedia movement. She was a
founding member of Wikimedia España and Wikimujeres Grupo de Usuarias, and
she also helped create Spanish Wikipedia's LGBT Wikiproject. She has served
on several Foundation governance committees, including the Affiliations and
Individual Engagement Grants committees. María is a professor in the
Digital Communications, Culture and Citizenship Master's degree program of
Rey Juan Carlos University at the MediaLab-Prado in Madrid, Spain. She has
previously served on the Board from August 2013 to July 2015, and most
recently joined the Board once again in January 2016. She has been selected
for a second term which will conclude at Wikimania 2020.

Dariusz Jemielniak has held a variety of roles on Wikimedia projects,
including administrator, bureaucrat, checkuser, steward and ombudsman. He
served as the chair of the Wikimedia community’s Funds Dissemination
Committee for three terms and is the author of “Common knowledge?: An
Ethnography of Wikipedia.” Dariusz is a full professor of Management, the
head of the Center for Research on Organizations and Workplaces, and a
co-founder of the New Research on Digital Societies (NeRDS) group at
Kozminski University. Dariusz has been re-appointed for a second term as a
Trustee after first joining the Board in July 2015.

James Heilman, M.D.,  has helped to found both Wikimedia Canada and
WikiProject Med Foundation. As an emergency physician in Cranbrook, British
Columbia, and a faculty member of emergency medicine at the University of
British Columbia, James is an active member of the medical community on
Wikimedia projects. James has also been involved in establishing
collaborations with several organizations, including Translators Without
Borders and the World Health Organization, to improve Wikimedia’s coverage
of medical content. James previously served on the Board of Trustees from
July to December 2015.

Christophe Henner has been a leader within the Wikimedia community for more
than 12 years. Prior to joining the Foundation Board in 2016, he served as
Board Chair of Wikimedia France, and had been a member of the chapter’s
Board since 2007. During this time, he spent nearly three years in Vice
Chair and Chair positions. Christophe is currently the Chief Operating
Officer (COO) of the Blade Group, a cloud computing company headquartered
in France. At Blade, Christophe is scaling up operations to support the
company's transition from a start-up to a global company.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees appointments and officer positions

Shani Evenstein
Thanks for the update, Christophe. Wishing the board  a productive,
fruitful and smooth year!

And Happy Wikimania, everyone, especially to all the Wikimedians who
couldn't make it this year.
So great that we have live-streaming this year (thanks again, Melody &
Eddie!) and can participate and support from all ends of the world.

Best,
Shani.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 6:16 PM, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> Borders and the World Health Organization, to improve Wikimedia’s coverage
> of medical content. James previously served on the Board of Trustees from
> July to December 2015.
>
> Christophe Henner has been a leader within the Wikimedia community for more
> than 12 years. Prior to joining the Foundation Board in 2016, he served as
> Board Chair of Wikimedia France, and had been a member of the chapter’s
> Board since 2007. During this time, he spent nearly three years in Vice
> Chair and Chair positions. Christophe is currently the Chief Operating
> Officer (COO) of the Blade Group, a cloud computing company headquartered
> in France. At Blade, Christophe is scaling up operations to support the
> company's transition from a start-up to a global company.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees appointments and officer positions

Jean-Philippe Béland
Congrats to all re-elected!

JP

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 11:30 AM Shani Evenstein <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> coverage
> > of medical content. James previously served on the Board of Trustees from
> > July to December 2015.
> >
> > Christophe Henner has been a leader within the Wikimedia community for
> more
> > than 12 years. Prior to joining the Foundation Board in 2016, he served
> as
> > Board Chair of Wikimedia France, and had been a member of the chapter’s
> > Board since 2007. During this time, he spent nearly three years in Vice
> > Chair and Chair positions. Christophe is currently the Chief Operating
> > Officer (COO) of the Blade Group, a cloud computing company headquartered
> > in France. At Blade, Christophe is scaling up operations to support the
> > company's transition from a start-up to a global company.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees appointments and officer positions

Andy Mabbett-2
On 11 August 2017 at 16:16, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As is customary, the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees met right
> before Wikimania and appointed new trustees and elected its officers.

Yes; the board /appointed/ new trustees...

> María and Dariusz, were re-elected after the recent community election.

This is not correct. There was no "community election"; the community
is only empowered to /nominate/ candidates, which the board may or may
not appoint, at its whim.

Please be more careful to use accurate terms on such points, in the future.

[The above not withstanding, congratulations to new - and returning -
trustees and officers; and thank you for your service to them and
those departing]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees appointments and officer positions

Katie Chan
** Personal views follow **

On 22/08/2017 20:10, Andy Mabbett wrote:

>> María and Dariusz, were re-elected after the recent community election.
>
> This is not correct. There was no "community election"; the community
> is only empowered to /nominate/ candidates, which the board may or may
> not appoint, at its whim.
>
> Please be more careful to use accurate terms on such points, in the future.

Multiple people put themselves forward for the community considerations.
The community then voted on it, resulting in a ranking by who got most
votes based on the voting system used. By definition, that's an
election. The electoral consisted of members of the Wikimedia community.
Ergo, there was a community election.

That the winning candidates does not automatically become a member of
the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees as a result due (at least
partly) to legal reasons does not make it any less of an election.

"A vote by the Wikimedia community for X numbers of winners to be
considered by the WMF BoT for appointment as its members" is still an
election.

Regards,

Katie

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the

     - Heinrich Heine

---

"On 22 August 2017 at 23:07, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22/08/2017 20:10, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>>

>>> María and Dariusz, were re-elected after the recent community election.
>>

>> This is not correct. There was no "community election"; the community
>> is only empowered to /nominate/ candidates, which the board may or may
>> not appoint, at its whim.
>>
>> Please be more careful to use accurate terms on such points, in the
>> future.
>>

> Multiple people put themselves forward for the community considerations. The
> community then voted on it, resulting in a ranking by who got most votes
> based on the voting system used. By definition, that's an election.

By definition, no, it is not. "An election is a formal group
decision-making process by which a population chooses an individual to
hold public office." In this case the choice of who holds office is
made by the board, not the community who "vote". At best it's a
nomination process.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

On 23/08/2017 00:33, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> By definition, no, it is not. "An election is a formal group
> decision-making process by which a population chooses an individual to
> hold public office." In this case the choice of who holds office is
> made by the board, not the community who "vote". At best it's a
> nomination process.

Let's go with the broader definition from (en) Wiktionary - "A process
of choosing ... or other representatives by popular vote.", or even
beyond the first sentence from en Wikipedia - "To elect means "to choose
or make a decision", and so sometimes other forms of ballot such as
referendums are referred to as elections, especially in the United States.".

Katie

On 23 August 2017 at 12:32, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23/08/2017 00:33, Andy Mabbett wrote:
>>

>> By definition, no, it is not. "An election is a formal group
>> decision-making process by which a population chooses an individual to
>> hold public office." In this case the choice of who holds office is
>> made by the board, not the community who "vote". At best it's a
>> nomination process.
>>

> Let's go with the broader definition from (en) Wiktionary - "A process of
> choosing ... or other representatives by popular vote.", or even beyond the
> first sentence from en Wikipedia - "To elect means "to choose or make a
> decision", and so sometimes other forms of ballot such as referendums are
> referred to as elections, especially in the United States.".

The community does not chose the representatives. It merely makes
*non-binding* recommendations.

The choice - as to whether *or not* to accept them - rests entirely
with the board.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees appointments and officer positions

Thyge
I think we all know the substance of this topic  and have known for quite
some time. Everyone may call the procedure whatever suits her/him best.

Regards
Thyge - Sir48

On 23/08/2017 15:32, Andy Mabbett wrote:

> On 23 August 2017 at 12:32, Katie Chan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Let's go with the broader definition from (en) Wiktionary - "A process of
>> choosing ... or other representatives by popular vote.", or even beyond the
>> first sentence from en Wikipedia - "To elect means "to choose or make a
>> decision", and so sometimes other forms of ballot such as referendums are
>> referred to as elections, especially in the United States.".
>
> The community does not chose the representatives. It merely makes
> *non-binding* recommendations.
>
> The choice - as to whether *or not* to accept them - rests entirely
> with the board.

The winners are still the chosen representatives of the community even
if the existing board were not to appoint them to the board for whatever
reasons or none, there were still an election.

In the 13 years and 10 elections that has taken place, all the winners
has been appointed by the way as far as I can tell, why the focus on
that one word? Maybe feedback or suggestion to the overall process [1]
would be more useful?

Katie

[1]:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_elections/2017/Post_mortem

--
Katie Chan
Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the
author and do not necessarily represent the view of any organisation the
author is associated with or employed by.

     - Heinrich Heine

---

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees appointments and officer positions

Asaf Bartov-2
Perhaps we can agree it is, properly, a *nomination by community
election* process, and lay this thread to rest. :)

    A.