[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board statement endorsing future resourcing and direction of the movement

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board statement endorsing future resourcing and direction of the movement

Christophe Henner-3
Hello everyone,

As many of you know, in October we concluded phase 1 of the movement
strategy process. The result was a final draft of the strategic
direction,[1] summarizing the hundreds of conversations that took place all
over the world, on wiki and off, about where we as a movement want
Wikimedia to go next. Many communities and individuals have signed on to
the direction, expressing their support for the guide we collectively
created for our future.

The Board recognizes the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead in
making this direction a reality. In the next phase of the movement
strategy, we will get into more of the specifics of how to make that
happen. With that in mind, we would like to share a statement setting forth
our commitment to the future of Wikimedia, and a clear mandate for the
Wikimedia Foundation to invest the resources necessary to support the
growth and evolution required for the next chapter of Wikimedia’s future.

Our statement is included below, and on Meta-Wiki, where it has been set up
for translation:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/November_2017_-_Statement_endorsing_future_resourcing_and_direction_of_the_organization

The Board greatly appreciates all of the time and energy that thousands of
people have put into the movement strategy process. Special appreciation
goes out to the members of the community who stepped up to help lead local,
language, or global organizing efforts. We are not done yet, but what we
have created is something that we should all be proud of -- for the process
of how we got to this direction, as much as for the direction itself.

On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees,

Christophe Henner, Board Chair

***

Statement

At our most recent Board meeting on the 18th of November, the Wikimedia
Foundation Board focused much of our discussion on the needs and goals of
the Wikimedia 2030 movement strategy process.[1] We carefully considered
the next steps we as a movement, and the Wikimedia Foundation in
particular, need to take to build for our future.

The Board is committed to ensuring the vision outlined in the Wikimedia
2030 process becomes a reality. To support this direction and the future of
the Wikimedia movement, it is our belief that the Wikimedia Foundation must
expand its resources through healthy, sustainable practices. To this end,
we want to give a clear mandate for the Wikimedia Foundation to invest the
resources necessary to support the growth and evolution required for the
next chapter of Wikimedia’s future.

We specifically recommend that the Foundation:

   -

   Increase investment in Foundation staffing and other means of support
   for the movement direction, sufficiently resourcing product, technology,
   and community health commitments in particular;
   -

   Support and engage with individuals, groups, and organizations,
   especially within the Wikimedia movement, to further develop their
   capacities, including the specific needs of emerging communities;
   -

   Support the fundraising team in raising additional funds beyond what is
   called for in the annual plan to prepare us for future growth;
   -

   Increase revenue as needed to support investment and growth;
   -

   Explore alternative revenue streams for the Foundation and movement; and
   -

   Undertake any capacity expansion in a healthy and sustainable way that
   anticipates current and future needs.

Based on anticipated need and past performance, we envision an annual
budgetary growth rate of 10–20% over the next several years.

The Board takes seriously its responsibility to the Foundation and by
extension, to the global Wikimedia movement. We believe this mandate will
better ensure we can realize the future we all have outlined as part of
Wikimedia 2030. We are committed to ensuring the sustainable growth and
success of our movement, and the Wikimedia Foundation’s role in supporting
its future.

[1]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Direction

Christophe HENNER
Chair of the board of trustees
[hidden email]
+33650664739

twitter *@schiste*        skype *christophe_henner*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board statement endorsing future resourcing and direction of the movement

Renée Bagslint
The list can be summarised as

   - Spend more on staff
   - Spend more on chapters
   - Get more money
   - Get more money
   - Get more money
   - Spend more money

We notice that such minor matters as produce more content, produce better
content, support content contributors, disseminate knowledge more widely,
find new ways of curating and disseminating knowledge, ... are not on the
agenda.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 7:08 PM, Christophe Henner <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> The Board takes seriously its responsibility to the Foundation and by
> extension, to the global Wikimedia movement. We believe this mandate will
> better ensure we can realize the future we all have outlined as part of
> Wikimedia 2030. We are committed to ensuring the sustainable growth and
> success of our movement, and the Wikimedia Foundation’s role in supporting
> its future.
>
> [1]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Direction
>

> Christophe HENNER
> Chair of the board of trustees
> [hidden email]
> +33650664739
>
> twitter *@schiste*        skype *christophe_henner*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Board statement endorsing future resourcing and direction of the movement

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 7:11 PM, Renée Bagslint <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The list can be summarised as
>
>    - Spend more on staff
>    - Spend more on chapters
>    - Get more money
>    - Get more money
>    - Get more money

   - Spend more money

> We notice that such minor matters as produce more content, produce better
> content, support content contributors, disseminate knowledge more widely,
> find new ways of curating and disseminating knowledge, ... are not on the
> agenda.

 Hi Renée,

Thank you for your email.

They totally are on the agenda!

This statement was really focused on how we ressource in our movement. The
Strategic Direction (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strategy/Wikimedia_movement/2017/Direction
) that were created with the different communities go exactly in thos
directions.

This statement is an aknowledgement that the directions we all crafted
together might need additional ressourcing. That is something that is going
to be worked on in the coming month.

We maybe should have said that clearer at the beginning of the statement.

Have a very good day :)