[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Independent Auditors' Report and FAQ for fiscal year ending 30 June 2017

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Independent Auditors' Report and FAQ for fiscal year ending 30 June 2017

Jaime Villagomez
Hello everyone,

The Independent Auditors’ Report of the Wikimedia Foundation for the fiscal
year ending 30 June 2017 is now available at:  http://wikimediafoundation.
org/wiki/Financial_reports

We have also posted on Meta-Wiki answers to frequently asked questions
(“FAQ”) about the Independent Auditors’ Report:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/
wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_reports/Financial/Audits/2016-
2017_-_frequently_asked_questions

The audit is conducted annually by an independent third-party audit firm
(KPMG) as a part of our financial oversight, and provides an overview of
basic information about the organization's financial position and its
financial activities. This Independent Auditors’ Report has been approved
by the Wikimedia Foundation Audit Committee -- a board subcommittee -- and
presented to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees for their review.

Please contact us via email if you have any questions.

Saludos,

Jaime Villagomez
*Chief Financial Officer​ *
*Wikimedia Foundation*
*1 Montgomery Street*
*San Francisco, CA 94105*
*415.839.6885  ext 6628 <415.839.6885%20%C2%A0ext%206628>*

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Independent Auditors' Report and FAQ for fiscal year ending 30 June 2017

Michael Peel-2
Working links (hopefully):
https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Financial_reports <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Financial_reports>
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_reports/Financial/Audits/2016-2017_-_frequently_asked_questions <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_reports/Financial/Audits/2016-2017_-_frequently_asked_questions>

And a direct link to the report:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/d/da/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Report_-_FY16-17.pdf <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/d/da/Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Report_-_FY16-17.pdf>

And a question: what’s with the $840k of restricted cash, compared to $0 last year?

Thanks,
Mike

> On 11 Dec 2017, at 22:31, Jaime Villagomez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> The Independent Auditors’ Report of the Wikimedia Foundation for the fiscal
> year ending 30 June 2017 is now available at:  http://wikimediafoundation.
> org/wiki/Financial_reports
>
> We have also posted on Meta-Wiki answers to frequently asked questions
> (“FAQ”) about the Independent Auditors’ Report:  https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_reports/Financial/Audits/2016-
> 2017_-_frequently_asked_questions
>
> The audit is conducted annually by an independent third-party audit firm
> (KPMG) as a part of our financial oversight, and provides an overview of
> basic information about the organization's financial position and its
> financial activities. This Independent Auditors’ Report has been approved
> by the Wikimedia Foundation Audit Committee -- a board subcommittee -- and
> presented to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees for their review.
>
> Please contact us via email if you have any questions.
>
> Saludos,
>
> Jaime Villagomez
> *Chief Financial Officer​ *
> *Wikimedia Foundation*
> *1 Montgomery Street*
> *San Francisco, CA 94105*
> *415.839.6885  ext 6628 <415.839.6885%20%C2%A0ext%206628>*
>
> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.Donate.
> <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Independent Auditors' Report and FAQ for fiscal year ending 30 June 2017

Tony Le
Hi Michael,

Restricted cash is required to secure a standby letter of credit as a
result of the execution of the Foundation’s new office lease that commenced
on October 1, 2017. Rather than requiring a security deposit payment the
building management company requires an issuance of the standby letter of
credit which is held at the Foundation's bank account.

This is also mentioned in footnote (f) of the Independent Auditors' Report.

Also the links seem to work fine. Thanks

Best,
Tony

On Mon, Dec 11, 2017 at 4:46 PM, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Working links (hopefully):
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Financial_reports <
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Financial_reports>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> reports/Financial/Audits/2016-2017_-_frequently_asked_questions <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_
> reports/Financial/Audits/2016-2017_-_frequently_asked_questions>
>
> And a direct link to the report:
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/d/da/
> Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Report_-_FY16-17.pdf <
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/foundation/d/da/
> Wikimedia_Foundation_Audit_Report_-_FY16-17.pdf>
>
> And a question: what’s with the $840k of restricted cash, compared to $0
> last year?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
> > On 11 Dec 2017, at 22:31, Jaime Villagomez <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > The Independent Auditors’ Report of the Wikimedia Foundation for the
> fiscal
> > year ending 30 June 2017 is now available at:
> http://wikimediafoundation.
> > org/wiki/Financial_reports
> >
> > We have also posted on Meta-Wiki answers to frequently asked questions
> > (“FAQ”) about the Independent Auditors’ Report:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/
> > wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_reports/Financial/Audits/2016-
> > 2017_-_frequently_asked_questions
> >
> > The audit is conducted annually by an independent third-party audit firm
> > (KPMG) as a part of our financial oversight, and provides an overview of
> > basic information about the organization's financial position and its
> > financial activities. This Independent Auditors’ Report has been approved
> > by the Wikimedia Foundation Audit Committee -- a board subcommittee --
> and
> > presented to the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees for their review.
> >
> > Please contact us via email if you have any questions.
> >
> > Saludos,
> >
> > Jaime Villagomez
> > *Chief Financial Officer​ *
> > *Wikimedia Foundation*
> > *1 Montgomery Street*
> > *San Francisco, CA 94105*
> > *415.839.6885 ext 6628 <415.839.6885%20%C2%A0ext%206628>*
> >
> > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment.Donate.
> > <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Tony Le
Wikimedia Foundation
Ph: 415-839-6885 ext 6749
Fax:  415-882-0495
[hidden email]

*We've moved!  **Our new address:*

Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
1 Montgomery Street, Suite 1600
San Francisco, CA 94104

This message is confidential and may be legally privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, please
telephone or email the sender and delete this message and any attachment
from your system; you must not copy or disclose the contents of this
message or any attachment to any other person.