[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Paid Intern/Fellowship Opportunity

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Paid Intern/Fellowship Opportunity

Jaime Anstee
Greetings Wikimedians,

I wanted to quickly draw your attention to a new temporary contractor
position [1] open in the Community Engagement Department of the Wikimedia
Foundation  which may be especially relevant to experienced Wikimedians.

The Programs Capacity & Learning team [2] is currently seeking a qualified
candidate for a paid intern/fellowship to assist with our upcoming
conference and workshops communications.

The position will be be supported for up to 40 hours a week over a
six-month period beginning late January. Wikimedians with communications or
related backgrounds and experience are especially encouraged to apply.

For more information on qualifications, duties, or to apply, please see the
job details at:

https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/142252#.VoxJJsArIvo

Thank you for your time and attention with regard to this opportunity.

Best regards,

Jaime

Links:

[1] https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/142252#.VoxJJsArIvo

[2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Programs:Capacity_%26_Learning

--

Jaime Anstee, Ph.D
Senior Strategist

*https://donate.wikimedia.org <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Paid Intern/Fellowship Opportunity

Lodewijk
Hi Jaime,

In the topic of your email, you mention 'paid' - but the description says 'This
position does not offer benefits.'

Best,
Lodewijk

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 12:27 AM, Jaime Anstee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings Wikimedians,
>
> I wanted to quickly draw your attention to a new temporary contractor
> position [1] open in the Community Engagement Department of the Wikimedia
> Foundation  which may be especially relevant to experienced Wikimedians.
>
> The Programs Capacity & Learning team [2] is currently seeking a qualified
> candidate for a paid intern/fellowship to assist with our upcoming
> conference and workshops communications.
>
> The position will be be supported for up to 40 hours a week over a
> six-month period beginning late January. Wikimedians with communications or
> related backgrounds and experience are especially encouraged to apply.
>

> For more information on qualifications, duties, or to apply, please see the
> job details at:
>
> https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/142252#.VoxJJsArIvo
>

> Thank you for your time and attention with regard to this opportunity.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Jaime
>

> Links:
>
> [1] https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/142252#.VoxJJsArIvo
>
> [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Programs:Capacity_%26_Learning
>

> --
>
> Jaime Anstee, Ph.D
> Senior Strategist
> Wikimedia Foundation
> +1.415.839.6885 ext 6869
> www.wikimediafoundation.org

> *https://donate.wikimedia.org <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Paid Intern/Fellowship Opportunity

James Alexander-4
Hey Lodewijk,

I'm not acutely aware of the details for this specific position but in the
interest of "probably" answering the question quickly in the US the term
benefits in that context is generally used to specifically talk about
health care, retirement, life insurance or other "fringe" benefits that the
company would pay for with a full time (or sometimes longer term
contractor) position. A position like this would generally be paid but not
receive those benefits. Do you know of a better way to say when that
applies? I think it's good to make sure people aren't taken unaware by that
but if it's confusing I'm sure HR could look at changing job descriptions
to make it clearer.

James Alexander
Manager
Trust & Safety
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Jaime,
>
> In the topic of your email, you mention 'paid' - but the description says
> 'This
> position does not offer benefits.'
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk
>
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 12:27 AM, Jaime Anstee <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Greetings Wikimedians,
> >
> > I wanted to quickly draw your attention to a new temporary contractor
> > position [1] open in the Community Engagement Department of the Wikimedia
> > Foundation  which may be especially relevant to experienced Wikimedians.
> >
> > The Programs Capacity & Learning team [2] is currently seeking a
> qualified
> > candidate for a paid intern/fellowship to assist with our upcoming
> > conference and workshops communications.
> >
> > The position will be be supported for up to 40 hours a week over a
> > six-month period beginning late January. Wikimedians with communications
> or
> > related backgrounds and experience are especially encouraged to apply.
> >

> > For more information on qualifications, duties, or to apply, please see
> the
> > job details at:
> >
> > https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/142252#.VoxJJsArIvo
> >

> > Thank you for your time and attention with regard to this opportunity.
> >

> > Best regards,
> >

> > Jaime
> >

> > Links:
> >
> > [1] https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/142252#.VoxJJsArIvo
> >
> > [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Programs:Capacity_%26_Learning
> >

> > --
> >
> > Jaime Anstee, Ph.D
> > Senior Strategist
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > +1.415.839.6885 ext 6869
> > www.wikimediafoundation.org
> >
> > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
> > *https://donate.wikimedia.org <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Paid Intern/Fellowship Opportunity

Lodewijk
The easiest way to clarify it, is by including a short section on
'compensation', and explicitely mentioning there is some financial
compensation available, but no 'additional benefits'? Right now, the post
doesn't mention payment of any kind explicitely, anywhere (I think).

Best,
Lodewijk

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 8:27 AM, James Alexander <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> > > Thank you for your time and attention with regard to this opportunity.
> > >

> > > Best regards,
> > >

> > > Jaime
> > >

> > > Links:
> > >
> > > [1] https://boards.greenhouse.io/wikimedia/jobs/142252#.VoxJJsArIvo
> > >
> > > [2] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Programs:Capacity_%26_Learning
> > >

> > > --
> > >
> > > Jaime Anstee, Ph.D
> > > Senior Strategist
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > +1.415.839.6885 ext 6869
> > > www.wikimediafoundation.org
> > >
> > > Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > > sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
> > > *https://donate.wikimedia.org <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation Paid Intern/Fellowship Opportunity

Thank you for pointing out this lack of clarity. James is correct, it is a
paid internship in that there is compensation for hours, but no additional
benefits as it is a temporary contractor, rather than staff, position.
Importantly, it is not an unpaid volunteer internship, which many
internship postings tend to be. I do hope that this properly clarifies the
points and I will ask our recruiting department how we might make the job
posting more clear in this regard.

Best,

Jaime

--