[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Patricio Lorente
Hello all,

I’m happy to announce that the Wikimedia Foundation leadership team has
proposed an interim Executive Director, and the Board has given our full
support. Starting on March 14th, current Chief Communications Officer
Katherine Maher (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)) will
step into the role of interim Executive Director. We thank the C-levels for
their careful consideration in this process, and Katherine for stepping up
during this period of transition.

In choosing an interim ED, the C-levels started by identifying immediate
priorities for the coming months, including building trust, improving
communications, and filling key leadership positions. They felt, and we
agree, that Katherine is the right person to lead the organization while it
addresses these and other important issues. Additionally, this will allow
the rest of the executive team to focus on critical organizational
functions, including community and engineering management, fundraising, and
strengthening our human resources function. You can read more about our
process and thinking here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/March_2016_-_Leadership_Team_transition_planning

Katherine has been with the Foundation as Chief Communications Officer for
about two years now. During that time, she has developed a versatile and
effective team that serves the needs of the organization and movement,
collaborating closely with other departments and the community. She has
thoughtfully introduced new capacities and led her team through
transitions, and played a critical role in shepherding the strategy process
and the annual plan, in collaboration with other C-levels. She is known for
listening to and empowering the people that she works with.

For those who don’t know Katherine, she’s been a longtime advocate for
global open communities, culture, and technology. She previously led
advocacy for the international digital rights organization Access Now,
where she worked on freedom of expression, access to information, and
privacy. She has supported the efforts of citizens and governments around
the world to deepen transparency and participation in her roles at the
World Bank, National Democratic Institute for International Affairs, and
UNICEF (where her team built wikis for youth participation in major global
issues). She is a member of the advisory board of the Open Technology Fund.

With interim leadership in place, our next step as the Board is to move
quickly to plan and implement the search for a permanent Executive
Director. We will be working together over the coming weeks to clarify
roles and responsibilities in this search, and identify the best way for
community and staff to participate.  We want this process to be inclusive
and incorporate many voices. We look forward to sharing an update on our
progress toward the end of next week.

As interim Executive Director, Katherine will report to the Board. Geoff
Brigham will continue serving as Board Secretary, and Jaime Villagomez as
Board Treasurer, reporting to the Board in those capacities. As of March
14, Katherine's reports include the C-team: Geoff Brigham, Jaime
Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
Walls.

Thank you,

                                         Patricio

Translation notice - This message is available for translation on
Meta-Wiki:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Katherine Maher
Thank you, Patricio.

I want to thank the Board for this opportunity, and for their confidence in
the Foundation. I also want to thank community members and staff for
continuing to be such committed advocates for our future -- your passion
and belief in our movement and purpose have been tremendous things to
behold.

As a movement, we’ve had some challenges lately. We’ve started on a process
of change, but as Lydia Pintscher (User:Lydia Pintscher (WMDE)) recently
reminded us,[1] “Change happens at the speed of trust.” We will need to
work together over these coming months to build that trust, and open
critical lines of communication and accountability. I get the sense from
many people that that’s exactly what they’d like to do: absorb the lessons
we’ve learned, re-engage with each other, and get back to advancing our
global movement.

At the Foundation, we have an opportunity to center around our values, and
practice open and collaborative communication. During the interim period, I
want to get things working well and improve transparency and communication,
both internally and with the communities. We will work to create a
supportive, fair environment where people can get things done, engage with
their colleagues and community members, and understand how their work has
an impact on our mission. This includes delivering on important deadlines
for the Annual Plan and strategy,[2] filling key roles, and making progress
on issues raised in our recent engagement survey.

We are committed to delivering the first version of the 2016-2017 Annual
Plan no later than April 1st for community and FDC review, and are on track
to meet this deadline. The WMF 2016-2018 strategy development is also
underway, with a draft version open for comments until March 18.[3] Over
the coming weeks, we’ll be moving forward with our Chief Technology Officer
(CTO) search, and working with the Talent and Culture team to reinvest in
our culture. As new other emerge, we’ll work together to prioritize them.

To accomplish all of this, we are going to need your help. I want to hear
from you about what you would like to achieve in this interim period. This
includes how we can collaborate together to prepare the organization and
movement to welcome our next Executive Director. The Foundation is prepared
to actively support the Board in the search, and we will work closely with
them to share important information and create opportunities to give
feedback throughout the process.

Just a few weeks ago, we marked the 15th birthday of the movement.[4]
Millions of people around the world shared their love for Wikimedia. It was
a celebration of why we do what we do, and how much joy the movement brings
people everywhere. That’s something I try to keep in mind every day.

Yours sincerely,
Katherine

[1] https://twitter.com/nightrose/status/660043284841107457
[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Strategy/Combined_strategy_and_annual_plan_timeline
[3] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/2016_Strategy/Draft_WMF_Strategy
[4] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_15

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:55 PM, Patricio Lorente <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> community and staff to participate.  We want this process to be inclusive
> and incorporate many voices. We look forward to sharing an update on our
> progress toward the end of next week.
>
> As interim Executive Director, Katherine will report to the Board. Geoff
> Brigham will continue serving as Board Secretary, and Jaime Villagomez as
> Board Treasurer, reporting to the Board in those capacities. As of March
> 14, Katherine's reports include the C-team: Geoff Brigham, Jaime
> Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
> Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
> being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
> Walls.
>
> Thank you,
>
>                                          Patricio
>
> Translation notice - This message is available for translation on

Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Pharos-3
Congratulations, Katherine!

She is an excellent choice to navigate us through for this difficult time.

Thanks,
Pharos

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Patricio Lorente <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Brigham will continue serving as Board Secretary, and Jaime Villagomez as
> Board Treasurer, reporting to the Board in those capacities. As of March
> 14, Katherine's reports include the C-team: Geoff Brigham, Jaime
> Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
> Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
> being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
> Walls.
>
> Thank you,
>
>                                          Patricio
>
> Translation notice - This message is available for translation on
> Meta-Wiki:
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

jmh649
A very positive move. Thank you Katherine for agreeing to step up and take
on this role. You have my full confidence :-)

James

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > community and staff to participate.  We want this process to be inclusive
> > and incorporate many voices. We look forward to sharing an update on our
> > progress toward the end of next week.
> >
> > As interim Executive Director, Katherine will report to the Board. Geoff
> > Brigham will continue serving as Board Secretary, and Jaime Villagomez as
> > Board Treasurer, reporting to the Board in those capacities. As of March
> > 14, Katherine's reports include the C-team: Geoff Brigham, Jaime
> > Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
> > Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
> > being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
> > Walls.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> >                                          Patricio
> >
> > Translation notice - This message is available for translation on

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Oliver Keyes-5
\o/\o/\o/\o/

So glad to see this wonderful choice!

...if we're gonna have Katherine as the interim...do we really need to
find someone permanent? ;)

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
>> > Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
>> > being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
>> > Walls.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> >                                          Patricio
>> >
>> > Translation notice - This message is available for translation on
>> > Meta-Wiki:
>> >

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update
>> > --

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Damon Sicore-2
Excellent news!  Katherine demonstrates integrity, has a strong mind for community, and she can help give WMF the voice it needs for a positive future.  I’m personally thrilled to see this happen.

Congratulations, and thank you for stepping into one of the most difficult and—I’d argue—one of the best and rarest opportunities to call everyone back together and reestablish good faith as the default.   :)

Yours faithfully,
Damon
https://damon.sicore.com

> [...]
>>
>> Translation notice - This message is available for translation on
>> Meta-Wiki:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update
>> --

> Katherine Maher
> Chief Communications Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 149 New Montgomery Street
> San Francisco, CA 94105
>
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> +1 (415) 712 4873
> New messages to: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l <https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l>, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Arthur Richards-2
Wonderful news, and and excellent choice. Thank you indeed, Katherine. I
eagerly look forward to what comes next!
On Mar 10, 2016 20:06, "James Heilman" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
> > > Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
> > > being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
> > > Walls.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > >                                          Patricio
> > >
> > > Translation notice - This message is available for translation on
> > > Meta-Wiki:
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update
> > > --

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>
> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Anna Stillwell
Katherine,

You have my *full* support. So excited to build trust, a good vibe, and
over achieve. :)

Warmly,
/a

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:05 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> our
> > > progress toward the end of next week.
> > >
> > > As interim Executive Director, Katherine will report to the Board.
> Geoff
> > > Brigham will continue serving as Board Secretary, and Jaime Villagomez
> as
> > > Board Treasurer, reporting to the Board in those capacities. As of
> March
> > > 14, Katherine's reports include the C-team: Geoff Brigham, Jaime
> > > Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
> > > Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
> > > being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
> > > Walls.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > >                                          Patricio
> > >
> > > Translation notice - This message is available for translation on

Major Gifts Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Erik Moeller-3
Congratulations to the Board and to Katherine!

It is good to see the organization led by a person with such a strong
and proven commitment to human rights, access to knowledge, and
transparency. I've also been deeply impressed by all the work
Katherine has done in her previous role at WMF.

Best of luck in facing the challenges ahead. :)

Warmly,
Erik

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Pine W
Thank you, Katherine.

That's a good question, Oliver. I think that a lot will depend on whether
WMF can fill the other C-level vacancies, particularly the CTO vacancy,
with people who are mission-aligned and can are SMEs in areas where
Katherine isn't. Also, a lot will depend on whether Katherine wants to stay
in the job. Being the WMF ED is a very different beast from being the
leader of a department; it remains to be seen if Katherine will like it and
how other people are feeling as the ED search moves forward.

Regarding these goals from Meta "Avoid lengthy process for identifying a
new ED" and "Minimize uncertainty", I would encourage WMF not to rush the
selection of a new ED; I believe that Katherine will do well in the
interim, and this choice buys WMF some time to do a good job with the ED
search. Regarding uncertainty, that's one of the few certain things around
here, but of course steps can be taken to make people feel comfortable with
the uncertainty.

Good luck, Katherine. Many of us are relying on you and have faith in you.

Pine

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> \o/\o/\o/\o/
>
> So glad to see this wonderful choice!
>
> ...if we're gonna have Katherine as the interim...do we really need to
> find someone permanent? ;)
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > A very positive move. Thank you Katherine for agreeing to step up and
> take
> > on this role. You have my full confidence :-)
> >
> > James
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Congratulations, Katherine!
> >>
> >> She is an excellent choice to navigate us through for this difficult
> time.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Pharos

> has
> full
> )
> C-levels
> >> for
> stepping
> >> up

> immediate
> we
> while
> >> it
> allow
> fundraising,
> >> and
> our
> >> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/March_2016_-_Leadership_Team_transition_planning

> >> for
> and
> has
> >> process
> known
> >> for

> around
> and
> >> global
> >> Fund.

> move
> for
> inclusive
> our

> Geoff
> Villagomez as
> March
> The

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update

> > James Heilman
> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> >
> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Rachel diCerbo
This is excellent news! Thank you to the C-levels and Board for making this
decision. Katherine, thank you for stepping up during this time. Looking
forward to improving trust and transparency!

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:17 PM, Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you, Katherine.
>
> That's a good question, Oliver. I think that a lot will depend on whether
> WMF can fill the other C-level vacancies, particularly the CTO vacancy,
> with people who are mission-aligned and can are SMEs in areas where
> Katherine isn't. Also, a lot will depend on whether Katherine wants to stay
> in the job. Being the WMF ED is a very different beast from being the
> leader of a department; it remains to be seen if Katherine will like it and
> how other people are feeling as the ED search moves forward.
>
> Regarding these goals from Meta "Avoid lengthy process for identifying a
> new ED" and "Minimize uncertainty", I would encourage WMF not to rush the
> selection of a new ED; I believe that Katherine will do well in the
> interim, and this choice buys WMF some time to do a good job with the ED
> search. Regarding uncertainty, that's one of the few certain things around
> here, but of course steps can be taken to make people feel comfortable with
> the uncertainty.

Pine,

It was a joke.

> Good luck, Katherine. Many of us are relying on you and have faith in you.
>
> Pine
>

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:10 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> \o/\o/\o/\o/
>>
>> So glad to see this wonderful choice!
>>
>> ...if we're gonna have Katherine as the interim...do we really need to
>> find someone permanent? ;)
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > A very positive move. Thank you Katherine for agreeing to step up and
>> take
>> > on this role. You have my full confidence :-)
>> >
>> > James

>> time.

>> has
>> full
>> )
>> C-levels
>> stepping

>> immediate
>> we
>> while
>> allow
>> fundraising,
>> our
>> >> >

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/March_2016_-_Leadership_Team_transition_planning

>> and
>> has
>> known

>> around
>> and

>> move
>> for
>> inclusive
>> our

>> Geoff
>> Villagomez as
>> March
>> The

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update
>> >>

>> > --
>> > James Heilman
>> > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>> >
>> > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
>> > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Lisa Gruwell
 This is fantastic news for WMF and the movement!!  I am extremely grateful
to Katherine for stepping up to take this very difficult role at a very
challenging time.

Katherine is widely respected at WMF by staff and, in my opinion, is the
perfect person to lead us right now.  I have worked on the C-Team with
Katherine for two years now.  She is very smart and talented and has a
great open leaderships style that is in line with our values.

I think the board and the community will enjoy getting to know Katherine
better over the next few months. I don’t expect her to just keep the seat
warm . . . we can accomplish great things under Katherine’s leadership!

Onward,

Lisa Gruwell

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Rachel diCerbo <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is excellent news! Thank you to the C-levels and Board for making
> this decision. Katherine, thank you for stepping up during this time.
> Looking forward to improving trust and transparency!
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:14 PM, Anna Stillwell <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Katherine,
>>
>> You have my *full* support. So excited to build trust, a good vibe, and
>> over achieve. :)
>>
>> Warmly,
>> /a
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:05 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> A very positive move. Thank you Katherine for agreeing to step up and
>>> take
>>> on this role. You have my full confidence :-)
>>>
>>> James

>>> time.

>>> has
>>> full
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF))
>>> C-levels
>>> stepping

>>> immediate
>>> we
>>> while
>>> allow
>>> fundraising,
>>> our
>>> > >

>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/March_2016_-_Leadership_Team_transition_planning

>>> Officer
>>> and
>>> movement,
>>> has
>>> known

>>> for
>>> Now,
>>> around
>>> the
>>> and

>>> move
>>> clarify
>>> for
>>> inclusive
>>> our

>>> Geoff
>>> Villagomez as
>>> March
>>> The

>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update
>>> >

>>> --
>>> James Heilman
>>> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>>>
>>> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
>>> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com
>>>

>> --
>> Anna Stillwell
>> Major Gifts Officer
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> 415.806.1536
>> *www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

George William Herbert

> On Mar 10, 2016, at 6:59 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you, Patricio.
>
> I want to thank the Board for this opportunity, and for their confidence in
> the Foundation. I also want to thank community members and staff for
> continuing to be such committed advocates for our future -- your passion
> and belief in our movement and purpose have been tremendous things to
> behold.

Best of luck.  Big challenge, good opportunity to reset and move productively forwards from here.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Pine W
I think it's a possibility that's worth considering seriously. (: We'll see
how things go.

Pine

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> around
> the
> Affairs,
> >> and
> Technology

> >> move
> clarify
> way
> >> for
> >> inclusive
> on
> >> our

> >> Geoff
> >> Villagomez as
> >> March
> >> The
> time
> Heather

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Asaf Bartov-2
Thank you, Patricio, the board, and thank you Katherine.  In the unhappy
circumstances we have come to, this brings much hope for rebuilding.
Katherine has the values and the skills to make WMF do better at adhering
to its stated principles, and the good sense to trust expertise in others
and delegate appropriately.

As some of you know, I have been quite vocal about our problems, and I am
glad to say I look forward with enthusiasm to helping Katherine bring about
long-needed changes while operating, as she said, "at the speed of trust".

Here's to hope, and truth.

   Asaf

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:59 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> community and staff to participate.  We want this process to be inclusive
>> and incorporate many voices. We look forward to sharing an update on our
>> progress toward the end of next week.
>>
>> As interim Executive Director, Katherine will report to the Board. Geoff
>> Brigham will continue serving as Board Secretary, and Jaime Villagomez as
>> Board Treasurer, reporting to the Board in those capacities. As of March
>> 14, Katherine's reports include the C-team: Geoff Brigham, Jaime
>> Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
>> Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
>> being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
>> Walls.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>>                                          Patricio
>>
>> Translation notice - This message is available for translation on

    Asaf Bartov

https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Tim Starling-2
On 11/03/16 13:55, Patricio Lorente wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I’m happy to announce that the Wikimedia Foundation leadership team has
> proposed an interim Executive Director, and the Board has given our full
> support. Starting on March 14th, current Chief Communications Officer
> Katherine Maher (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)) will
> step into the role of interim Executive Director. We thank the C-levels for
> their careful consideration in this process, and Katherine for stepping up
> during this period of transition.

To pre-empt any suggestion of disharmony from the usual wikimedia-l
agitators, I think it's worth mentioning that Katherine Maher was the
most-supported nominee in staff discussions on the office wiki. (I
mean the tally on <https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/ED_transition>)

-- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Caitlin Cogdill
I cheered aloud in my living room when I read this news. Congratulations,
Katherine, and thank you for taking on this role at a difficult yet
exciting time. You have my trust.

Le jeudi 10 mars 2016, Tim Starling <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> On 11/03/16 13:55, Patricio Lorente wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I’m happy to announce that the Wikimedia Foundation leadership team has
> > proposed an interim Executive Director, and the Board has given our full
> > support. Starting on March 14th, current Chief Communications Officer
> > Katherine Maher (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF))
> will
> > step into the role of interim Executive Director. We thank the C-levels
> for
> > their careful consideration in this process, and Katherine for stepping
> up
> > during this period of transition.
>
> To pre-empt any suggestion of disharmony from the usual wikimedia-l
> agitators, I think it's worth mentioning that Katherine Maher was the
> most-supported nominee in staff discussions on the office wiki. (I
> mean the tally on <https://office.wikimedia.org/wiki/ED_transition>)
>
> -- Tim Starling

Caitlin Cogdill
Fundraising Manager, Global Email

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

*https://donate.wikimedia.org <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Patricia Pena
Amazing news indeed. Thank you Katherine for everything you have already
accomplished at the Foundation and for taking up this challenge. And thank
you to the entire C-level and Board for supporting this decision- this is
exactly what we needed right now! I have full trust that Katherine and the
C-team will lead the changes that are much needed.

wrote:

> Katherine,
>
> You have my *full* support. So excited to build trust, a good vibe, and
> over achieve. :)
>
> Warmly,
> /a
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:05 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A very positive move. Thank you Katherine for agreeing to step up and take
>> on this role. You have my full confidence :-)
>>
>> James
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Pharos <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Congratulations, Katherine!
>> >
>> > She is an excellent choice to navigate us through for this difficult
>> time.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Pharos

>> has
>> full
>> )
>> C-levels
>> > for
>> stepping
>> > up

>> immediate
>> we
>> while
>> > it
>> allow
>> fundraising,
>> > and
>> our
>> > >

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/March_2016_-_Leadership_Team_transition_planning

>> > for
>> and
>> has
>> > process
>> known
>> > for

>> around
>> and
>> > global
>> > Fund.

>> move
>> for
>> inclusive
>> our

>> Geoff
>> Villagomez as
>> March
>> The

>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update
>> >

>> --
>> James Heilman
>> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
>>
>> The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
>> www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

> Anna Stillwell
> Major Gifts Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.806.1536
> *www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Pats Pena | Director, Payments and Fundraising Operations
Wikimedia Foundation
office +1 (415) 839 6885 x6764
cell:   +1 (415) 816 3349
fax: +1 (415) 284 9511

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Dario Taraborelli-3
Thank you for stepping up, Katherine.

Very glad about the choice and the rapid and transparent process that led to it, thanks to everyone involved.

Dario