[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

David Cuenca Tudela
Congratulations, Katherine! I hope that you have a good start in your new
position, and that the challenges ahead don't overwhelm you.

Good luck,
Micru

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:47 AM, Steven Crossin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What Oliver said. Katherine was my pick for interim ED as well. Im sure she
> will do an amazing job
>
> Steve
>
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2016 2:10 pm Oliver Keyes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > \o/\o/\o/\o/
> >
> > So glad to see this wonderful choice!
> >
> > ...if we're gonna have Katherine as the interim...do we really need to
> > find someone permanent? ;)
> >
> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:05 PM, James Heilman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > > A very positive move. Thank you Katherine for agreeing to step up and
> > take
> > > on this role. You have my full confidence :-)
> > >
> > > James

> > time.

> > has
> > full
> Officer
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF)
> > )
> > C-levels
> > stepping

> > immediate
> improving
> > we
> > while
> > allow
> > fundraising,
> > our
> > >> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/March_2016_-_Leadership_Team_transition_planning

> Officer
> > and
> movement,
> > has
> > known

> for
> Now,
> and
> > around
> the
> > and
> Technology

> > move
> clarify
> > for
> > inclusive
> > our

> > Geoff
> > Villagomez as
> > March
> > The
> time
> Heather

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update
> > >>

> > > --
> > > James Heilman
> > > MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian
> > >
> > > The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine
> > > www.opentextbookofmedicine.com

Etiamsi omnes, ego non

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

David Parreño Mont
OMG! Many congratulations, Katherine!

El dv., 11 març 2016 a les 4:00, Katherine Maher (<[hidden email]>)
va escriure:

> [...]
> > community and staff to participate.  We want this process to be inclusive
> > and incorporate many voices. We look forward to sharing an update on our
> > progress toward the end of next week.
> >
> > As interim Executive Director, Katherine will report to the Board. Geoff
> > Brigham will continue serving as Board Secretary, and Jaime Villagomez as
> > Board Treasurer, reporting to the Board in those capacities. As of March
> > 14, Katherine's reports include the C-team: Geoff Brigham, Jaime
> > Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
> > Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
> > being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
> > Walls.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> >                                          Patricio
> >
> > Translation notice - This message is available for translation on

---------
David Parreño Mont
www.davidparreno.cat

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Nicole Ebber
Congratulations, Katherine, and thank you for taking on this
responsibility! I am glad to read all those congrats and wonderful
emails from people involved.

And thank you to the C-level team and Board for making this decision,
and for making it quickly and transparent.

I look forward to working with you, and to warmly welcoming you in
Berlin in April!

Cheers,
Nicole

On 11 March 2016 at 11:18, David Parreño Mont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > community and staff to participate.  We want this process to be inclusive
>> > and incorporate many voices. We look forward to sharing an update on our
>> > progress toward the end of next week.
>> >
>> > As interim Executive Director, Katherine will report to the Board. Geoff
>> > Brigham will continue serving as Board Secretary, and Jaime Villagomez as
>> > Board Treasurer, reporting to the Board in those capacities. As of March
>> > 14, Katherine's reports include the C-team: Geoff Brigham, Jaime
>> > Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
>> > Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
>> > being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
>> > Walls.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >
>> >                                          Patricio
>> >
>> > Translation notice - This message is available for translation on

Nicole Ebber
Referentin Internationale Beziehungen
Adviser to the ED, International Relations

Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Tanweer Morshed
Congratulations to Katherine for taking up the responsibility! And at the
same time, thanks to the Board and C-levels for coming up with a thoughtful
and acceptable decision.
It's great to see someone taking up the charge, who has been involved with
the movement for a long time.

Regards,
Tanweer

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 4:25 PM, Nicole Ebber <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >> Wikimedia Foundation
> >> 149 New Montgomery Street
> >> San Francisco, CA 94105
> >>
> >> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
> >> +1 (415) 712 4873
> >> [hidden email]

> > ---------
> > David Parreño Mont
> > www.davidparreno.cat

> Nicole Ebber
> Referentin Internationale Beziehungen
> Adviser to the ED, International Relations

> Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de
>
> Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,

Tanweer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Aude-2
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 10:48 PM, aude <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 9:55 PM, Patricio Lorente <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I’m happy to announce that the Wikimedia Foundation leadership team has
>> proposed an interim Executive Director, and the Board has given our full
>> support. Starting on March 14th, current Chief Communications Officer
>> Katherine Maher (https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Katherine_(WMF))
>> will
>> step into the role of interim Executive Director. We thank the C-levels
>> for
>> their careful consideration in this process, and Katherine for stepping up
>> during this period of transition.
>>

> \o/ !!!! :-)
>
> I am quite confident that Katherine will be a good fit for this role.
>
> Her background, prior to joining WMF, is in doing work that is inline
> withour values.
>
> Thank you Katherine for stepping into the position.

I forgot to say مبروك (congratulations) :-)

Curious if you will be able to attend the hackathon in Jerusalem? and/or
WikiArabia in Amman? (though can understand if you are too busy or for
other reasons can't)

Cheers,
Katie

--
@wikidata

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On 2016-03-11 04:28, Pine W wrote:
> I think it's a possibility that's worth considering seriously. (: We'll
> see
> how things go.
>
> Pine

I am sure Katherine is an excellent choice currently for an interim ED,
with the first task to rebuild trust between staff, the Board, and the
community.

However, whether she is an excellent choice for permanent ED, depends on
the general strategy for the movement (which we still do not have, after
the previous strategic plan expired in December). For instance, if the
strategic directions is chosen such that some divisions get cut and, as
a consequence, a part of staff members have to be fired, she would
likely not be the best ED to implement these actions.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

ido ivri
Dear Katherine,

So glad to see you're going to be working with the BoT and WMF employees to
help us move forward! Also, quite relieved to see all this positivity on
Wikimedia-l, finally :-)

Wishing you and the WMF team success - it's apparent from the transition
update that things are moving in the right direction already.

All the best,

Ido

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Victor Grigas
What a good message to wake up to!

I'd like to politely suggest along with any decision making ahead, that the
board please leave the door open to considering Katherine as permanent
executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Tanweer Morshed <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > --
> > > ---------
> > > David Parreño Mont
> > > www.davidparreno.cat

> > Nicole Ebber
> > Referentin Internationale Beziehungen
> > Adviser to the ED, International Relations
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> > Tel. (030) 219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de
> >
> > Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
> > Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
> >
> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
> > V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
> > Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
> > anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,

*Victor Grigas*
Storyteller <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WPZeroPetition> and Video
Content Producer
https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Aaron Halfaker-3
Congrats Katherine!  This is certainly welcome news. :)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Victor Grigas <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> >
>> > Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch an der Menge allen
>> > Wissens frei teilhaben kann. Helfen Sie uns dabei!
>> >
>> > Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.
>> > V. Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts
>> > Berlin-Charlottenburg unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig
>> > anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für Körperschaften I Berlin,
>> > Steuernummer 27/029/42207.

>> --
>> Regards,
>> Tanweer

> *Victor Grigas*
> Storyteller <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WPZeroPetition> and
> Video Content Producer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> [hidden email]
> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Florence Devouard-6
Excellent !

All my support Katherine !

Anthere

PS: Hopefully the list will regain a bit of peace and be productive again ?

Le 11/03/16 03:59, Katherine Maher a écrit :

> [...]
>> Board Treasurer, reporting to the Board in those capacities. As of March
>> 14, Katherine's reports include the C-team: Geoff Brigham, Jaime
>> Villagomez, Maggie Dennis, Lisa Gruwell, Joady Lohr, and Wes Moran. The
>> Communications team will continue to report to Katherine for the time
>> being, with support from the leadership of Juliet Barbara and Heather
>> Walls.
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>>                                           Patricio
>>
>> Translation notice - This message is available for translation on
>> Meta-Wiki:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation_Board_noticeboard/10_March_2010_-_Wikimedia_Foundation_executive_transition_update

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Maria O'Neill
Congratulations, Katherine, and thank you! Great news! :)

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Congrats Katherine!  This is certainly welcome news. :)
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Victor Grigas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> What a good message to wake up to!
>>
>> I'd like to politely suggest along with any decision making ahead, that
>> the board please leave the door open to considering Katherine as permanent
>> executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation.
>>

>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Tanweer Morshed <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Congratulations to Katherine for taking up the responsibility! And at the
>>> same time, thanks to the Board and C-levels for coming up with a
>>> thoughtful
>>> and acceptable decision.
>>> It's great to see someone taking up the charge, who has been involved
> [...]
>>> Tanweer
>>>

>> --
>>
>> *Victor Grigas*
>> Storyteller <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WPZeroPetition> and
>> Video Content Producer
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>> [hidden email]
>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Maria O'Neill
Programs Associate - Recruitment
Wikimedia Foundation
Join Us: WorkWithUs <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Work_with_us>
Like us on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/wikimediaatwork>
Follow us on Twitter @wikimediaatwork
sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Alex Wang
Thank you, Katherine! This announcement has me breathing a huge sigh of
relief and fills me with optimism for what's to come.

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Maria O'Neill <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Congratulations, Katherine, and thank you! Great news! :)
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 7:49 AM, Aaron Halfaker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Congrats Katherine!  This is certainly welcome news. :)
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 9:10 AM, Victor Grigas <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> What a good message to wake up to!
>>>
>>> I'd like to politely suggest along with any decision making ahead, that
>>> the board please leave the door open to considering Katherine as permanent
>>> executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation.
>>>

>>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 5:36 AM, Tanweer Morshed <[hidden email]

>>> --
>>>
>>> *Victor Grigas*
>>> Storyteller <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/WPZeroPetition> and
>>> Video Content Producer
>>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://donate.wikimedia.org/

> Maria O'Neill
> Programs Associate - Recruitment
> Wikimedia Foundation
> Join Us: WorkWithUs <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Work_with_us>
> Like us on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/wikimediaatwork>
> Follow us on Twitter @wikimediaatwork
> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!*

Alexandra Wang
Program Officer
Project & Event Grants
Wikimedia Foundation <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Home>
+1 415-839-6885
Skype: alexvwang

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Derek V.Giroulle
I second that

On 11-03-16 16:10, Victor Grigas wrote:
> What a good message to wake up to!
>
> I'd like to politely suggest along with any decision making ahead, that the
> board please leave the door open to considering Katherine as permanent
> executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation.

--
Kind regards,
*Derek V. Giroulle*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

C. Scott Ananian
On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 9:59 PM, Katherine Maher <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We are committed to delivering the first version of the 2016-2017 Annual
> Plan no later than April 1st for community and FDC review

It might be best if you can manage to deliver it on March 30th. ;)  The
next day tends to be a bit foolish.

At any rate: Congratulations!  Let's hope this is the start of the
good-news potion of 2016.
 --scott

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Kalliope Tsouroupidou
Congratulations Katherine. May the force be with you 😊

K.

--
Kalliope Tsouroupidou
Community Advocate

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Ad Huikeshoven

> Thank you, Patricio.
>
> I want to thank the Board for this opportunity, and for their confidence in
> the Foundation. I also want to thank community members and staff for
> continuing to be such committed advocates for our future -- your passion
> and belief in our movement and purpose have been tremendous things to
> behold.
>
> As a movement, we’ve had some challenges lately.

Dear Katherine,

The board of Wikimedia Nederland had a regular meeting on Thursday evening.
We wrapped up hours before the announcement of Patricio and your message.
Fellow board members have had their worries expressed about what was going
on. We were not aware about this news coming. I haven't checked with my
fellow board members, but I'm sure they allow me to congratulate you on
behalf of the whole board and wish you lots of strength and wisdom during
the interim transition period. I'm looking forward to meet you again in
Berlin at the Wikimedia Conference 2016.

Have a nice weekend,

Ad Huikeshoven

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wmfall] Wikimedia Foundation executive transition update

Osmar Valdebenito-3
Congratulations, Katherine! I hope this great announcement can help us to
move forward building trust again within our movement :)