[Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Jean-Frédéric Berthelot
Dear movement fellows,

tl;dr

Please find on Meta the Wikimédia France board handbook (in French)
<
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration>

== Long story ==

Wikimédia France is moving forward with its continuous improvement process
and wishes for an adapted governance. After revising our organizational
structure [0], and putting in place the systematic evaluation of our
programs [1], we do not want that governance becomes the limiting factor of
our improvement.

Since the hiring of our Executive Director who leads all staff, we were
aware that the board  tasks and processes had to evolve. That meant no more
micro-management or "operational" stuff (except for certain board roles)
and focus on strategy.

To that effect, at the occasion of our previous General Assembly, the board
drafted a board handbook [2], heavily inspired by the Wikimedia Foundation
one (thanks for sharing!)

The goal was to make sure every current member of the Board had the same
vision of our governance, and to ensure that applicants for the Board have
a good vision of what it means to be on the Board (expectations, posture,
do's & don'ts, ...) - like a shareholders' agreement.

This shared version is our first iteration as we anticipate to complete, or
adapt, this document according to our governance's evolution. It is
relatively specific to our self-identified strengths and weaknesses. We
also think that it is closely linked to our structure, our background and
local context (relation with our ED, local labour law...).

But despite all these specificities, we have (or will have) similar stages
of development and governance issues: that's why we share with you this
"Handbook", with the hope that the initiative or the contents can be useful
for you - even if it's in French.

== Process ==

The handbook writing was led by Émeric Vallespi, supported by the rest of
the board. It was then shared with a restricted circle where we gathered
input from 6 former board members, with almost 100 comments. We then
communicated the document to our members before the General Assembly, and
finally published it on Meta where it joined the Austrian Kodex in
[[Category:Governance]]. Sharing is caring :)

[0] <
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2013-2014_round2/Wikimédia_France/Proposal_form/Organisational_structure

[1] <
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2013-2014_round2/Wikimédia_France/Proposal_form/Quality_approach

[2] <
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration>

<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration>

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them to Émeric ;-)

Jean-Frédéric

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Sydney Poore
Thank you for sharing and also the history of its development.

It's inspiring to see the hard work that you all put into developing this
important document.

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Member of FDC

Sydney Poore
User:FloNight
Wikipedian in Residence
at Cochrane Collaboration

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 11:24 AM, Jean-Frédéric Berthelot <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> [1] <
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2013-2014_round2/Wikimédia_France/Proposal_form/Quality_approach
> >
> [2] <
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration>
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> >

> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> >

> If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them to Émeric ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Jean-Frédéric

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Richard Symonds-3
Fantastic. Good to see another organisation making the sometimes difficult
transition to a strategic board!

Richard Symonds
Wikimedia UK
0207 065 0992

On 9 December 2014 at 16:29, Sydney Poore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > [2] <
> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration>
> > <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> >
> > <
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> > >

> > <
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> > >

> > If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them to Émeric ;-)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > --
> > Jean-Frédéric

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Winifred Olliff
Thanks for sharing this work, and for also sharing some of the details
about how and why you made the handbook!

I've also added the handbook, along with WMAT's Codex, to this list of
community resources around decision-making and governance (part of the
organizational effectiveness learning center for Wikimedia organizations)
so other Wikimedia organizations can find it as an example if they are also
thinking about creating or revising their board handbooks:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Organizational_effectiveness/Learning_center/Decision-making_and_governance.
Please add to this list if you have other ideas about good resources in
this area!

Emeric, would you consider adding a learning pattern (
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Learning_patterns) to the library on
Meta about the creation of the handbook? I think all of the text you would
need for a useful learning pattern is probably already included in this
Email announcement ;)

Thanks again for your work.

Cheers,

Winifred

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 8:24 AM, Jean-Frédéric Berthelot <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> [0] <
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2013-2014_round2/Wikimédia_France/Proposal_form/Organisational_structure
> >
> [1] <
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2013-2014_round2/Wikimédia_France/Proposal_form/Quality_approach
> >
> [2] <
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration>
> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> >

> <
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
> >

> If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them to Émeric ;-)

Winifred Olliff
FDC Support Team

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Emeric Vallespi-2
Hi, and thanks for your support :)

Sure Winifred, I will add a learning pattern, actually it's on my to-do
list!

In order to improve our sharing with the movement, we are thinking about
translate some of documents we produced. Let us know if you think useful
to translate the WMFr Board Handbook, even if others already exists in
english.

--
Emeric Vallespi
Vice President

Wikimédia France
www.wikimedia.fr | Twitter: @Wikimedia_Fr

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> |
Twitter: @evallespi

Le 09/12/2014 18:40, Winifred Olliff a écrit :

> [...]
>     >
>     [2] <
>     https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimédia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration
>     <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration>
>     <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration>
>     >
>     <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikim%C3%A9dia_France/Guide_du_conseil_d%27administration>
>
>     If you have any questions, feel free to shoot them to Émeric ;-)
>
>     Cheers,
>     --
>     Jean-Frédéric

> Winifred Olliff
> FDC Support Team
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Claudia Garád
Thanks for sharing Emeric and Jean-Fred!

I would love to see a translation of this important resource and I'm
sure it could be useful for others as well. :-)

Best
Claudia

Am 11.12.2014 um 07:20 schrieb Emeric Vallespi:

> Hi, and thanks for your support :)
>
> Sure Winifred, I will add a learning pattern, actually it's on my to-do
> list!
>
> In order to improve our sharing with the movement, we are thinking about
> translate some of documents we produced. Let us know if you think useful
> to translate the WMFr Board Handbook, even if others already exists in
> english.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Charles Andrès-2
Thanks a lot Wikimedia France,

Another good exemple why we need to improve the Translation system on-wiki and allow to start from non-english source.

Charles

> Le 11 déc. 2014 à 10:39, Claudia Garád <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Thanks for sharing Emeric and Jean-Fred!
>
> I would love to see a translation of this important resource and I'm sure it could be useful for others as well. :-)
>
> Best
> Claudia
>
> Am 11.12.2014 um 07:20 schrieb Emeric Vallespi:
>> Hi, and thanks for your support :)
>>
>> Sure Winifred, I will add a learning pattern, actually it's on my to-do
>> list!
>>
>> In order to improve our sharing with the movement, we are thinking about
>> translate some of documents we produced. Let us know if you think useful
>> to translate the WMFr Board Handbook, even if others already exists in
>> english.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Alice Wiegand-4
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM, "charles andrès (WMCH)" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks a lot Wikimedia France,
>
> Another good exemple why we need to improve the Translation system on-wiki
> and allow to start from non-english source.
>
> Charles

So true!

Alice.

> > Le 11 déc. 2014 à 10:39, Claudia Garád <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> >
> > Thanks for sharing Emeric and Jean-Fred!
> >
> > I would love to see a translation of this important resource and I'm
> sure it could be useful for others as well. :-)
> >
> > Best
> > Claudia
> >
> > Am 11.12.2014 um 07:20 schrieb Emeric Vallespi:
> >> Hi, and thanks for your support :)
> >>
> >> Sure Winifred, I will add a learning pattern, actually it's on my to-do
> >> list!
> >>
> >> In order to improve our sharing with the movement, we are thinking about
> >> translate some of documents we produced. Let us know if you think useful
> >> to translate the WMFr Board Handbook, even if others already exists in
> >> english.

Alice Wiegand
Board of Trustees

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Pierre-Selim

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 10:47 AM, "charles andrès (WMCH)" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Thanks a lot Wikimedia France,
> >
> > Another good exemple why we need to improve the Translation system
> on-wiki
> > and allow to start from non-english source.
> >
> > Charles
> >

> So true!

So true !

> Alice.
>

> > > Le 11 déc. 2014 à 10:39, Claudia Garád <[hidden email]> a
> > écrit :
> > >
> > > Thanks for sharing Emeric and Jean-Fred!
> > >
> > > I would love to see a translation of this important resource and I'm
> > sure it could be useful for others as well. :-)
> > >
> > > Best
> > > Claudia

> to-do

> about
> useful

> Alice Wiegand
> Board of Trustees
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> Support Free Knowledge: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate

Pierre-Selim

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Jean-Frédéric Berthelot

> Hi, and thanks for your support :)

Yes, thanks all for your kind words :)

> Another good exemple why we need to improve the Translation system
>
> on-wiki and allow to start from non-english source.
>
> So true!
>
> So true!

As a reminder, this is tracked in Phabricator:
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T37489>

Émeric wrote :

> Sure Winifred, I will add a learning pattern, actually it's on my
> to-do list!

By which he literally means he got assigned a Trello card for this ;-)

--
Jean-Frédéric

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimédia France board handbook

Emeric Vallespi-2
Dear all,

Jean-Frédéric and I just published the learning patterns about this WMFr Board Handbook.

Please find it here: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Learning_patterns/Board_Handbook_%E2%88%92_A_shared_vision_of_the_board_role_in_an_evolving_organisation

Hope it can be useful, if you have comments, questions or suggestions you're welcome!

Emeric