[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-2
Hi all,

I've started a page on meta for Wikimedia Gadget

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Gadgets

This page serves for people participating of the Wikimedia movement to
brainstorm on news cool, fun and interesting Wikimedia gadgets. The
ideas can discussed in several languages on the talk page to
facilitate each local group to speak their ideas in their local
language, if necessary. The idea is to expand the possibilities on
what we have so far in the Wikimedia Shop <http://shop.wikimedia.org/>
and other local groups shops using the global community ideas and help
local groups to outreach Wikimedia projects.

A lot of times someone saw a Wikipedia backpack I have and they found
really cool - people find these kind of things cool. This can help
also local groups to develop their own things to outreach Wikimedia
projects. Also, several times, I was faced in discussions with
colleagues on possible new gadgets beyond those produced by Wikimedia
Foundation, like a Wikipedia flip flop, for instance. Or when
volunteers in Brazil organized a challenge with a initial idea to give
some new gadgetd, like these ones in this news about this activity
<http://blogs.estadao.com.br/link/positivo-quer-wikipedia-offline-em-computadores/>.

I do think this can also help to outreach other less known Wikimedia
Projects. For instance, when a cool banner was made here in Brazil
<https://docs.google.com/file/d/1c3Op5hG6ugo6gsQdmG7MzuG5jXyj_YJjYkcZ61DLi2aRBqlOXT-WKqqSAaKv/edit>
by volunteers to use at events, I've  heard more than once people
saying they didn't know other projects and that that was really cool.
As another example, I've just discovered a cool t-shirt of Wikimedia
Sweeden for the Wikipedia education program
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_i_utbildning_tshirt.jpg>
and their local shop <http://wikimediasverige.spreadshirt.se/> with
original and creative products.

I hope this can bring new ideas and new gadgets. Please, make comments
in the wiki page.

Tom

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Everton Zanella Alvarenga, 07/04/2013 15:23:
> The idea is to expand the possibilities on
> what we have so far in the Wikimedia Shop <http://shop.wikimedia.org/>

Is this approved by the WMF shop manager?

> and other local groups shops using the global community ideas and help
> local groups to outreach Wikimedia projects.

Is this approved by WMF legal? Wikimedia Italia had to close its shop
years ago.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-2
Ciao Nemo.

2013/4/7 Federico Leva (Nemo) <[hidden email]>:
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga, 07/04/2013 15:23:
>
>> The idea is to expand the possibilities on
>> what we have so far in the Wikimedia Shop <http://shop.wikimedia.org/>
>
> Is this approved by the WMF shop manager?

Humm... Do volunteer need permission to share ideas? Maybe I was not
clear, but the idea is to create prototypes so that we can have more
creative things. The next stages, like creating, sellilng and other
bureacratic stuff, is for the next stage.

>> and other local groups shops using the global community ideas and help
>> local groups to outreach Wikimedia projects.
>
> Is this approved by WMF legal? Wikimedia Italia had to close its shop years
> ago.

Well, when people from WMF comes to Brazil with t-shirts, brochures,
stickers etc., I think there is no need to ask any thing to WMF legal.
Here we just receive these resources and share with volunteers on
events and projects, helping to outreach Wikimedia projects. Since in
Brazil there is no legal entity approved as a chapter, I was not even
thinking about a local shop here, but just to focus on the creative
side of volunteers and leave the (boring) bureaucratic stuff for
bureaucrats. :)

Tom

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

MZMcBride-2
Everton Zanella Alvarenga wrote:
>I've started a page on meta for Wikimedia Gadget
>
>http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Gadgets

Hi.

I'm not sure "gadgets" is the word you want. It immediately made me think
of the popular "Gadgets" MediaWiki extension:
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Gadgets>.

It sounds like maybe you want "merchandise"? Or something similar to that.
Just a thought.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

Balázs Viczián
I'd love to see this available to buy as a T-shirt: [1] and these posters
[2] (here, in Hungary we have plans to do both)

btw Wikimedia Hungary had some own merchandise too [3]

[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_-_T-shirt.jpg
[2] http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf#Posters
[3] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_Hungary_merchandise

cheers,
Balázs

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

Martin Rulsch
Free give-aways are okay. But a shop where Wiki* stuff can be sold, might
be a problem.

Cheers
Martin

2013/4/7 Balázs Viczián <[hidden email]>

> I'd love to see this available to buy as a T-shirt: [1] and these posters
> [2] (here, in Hungary we have plans to do both)
>
> btw Wikimedia Hungary had some own merchandise too [3]
>
> [1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_-_T-shirt.jpg
> [2] http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bookshelf#Posters
> [3]
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimedia_Hungary_merchandise
>
> cheers,
> Balázs

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

James Forrester-5
On 7 April 2013 07:52, MZMcBride <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Everton Zanella Alvarenga wrote:
> > I've started a page on meta for Wikimedia Gadget
> >
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Gadgets
>
> I'm not sure "gadgets" is the word you want. It immediately made me think
> of the popular "Gadgets" MediaWiki extension:
> <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Gadgets>.

I was also confused. :-)

> It sounds like maybe you want "merchandise"? Or something similar to that.
> Just a thought.

There's https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_merchandise
which has a lot of this discussion already.

J.
--
James D. Forrester
[hidden email]

2013/4/7 James Forrester <[hidden email]>:

> There's https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_merchandise
> which has a lot of this discussion already.

Damn. Sorry, I didn't find this page! Thanks for pointing this out,
James. I spent some minutes on meta looking for this, but the word
merchandise was not on my head.

And it seems some people who replied here didn't know also. Maybe it
is a good idea to point this page more explicitly at
shop.wikimedia.org. I'll suggest on wiki.

I'll move some of the content here to this page before being bited, hehehe.

Tom

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-3
Pessoal,

já existia uma página disse que eu não consegui achar

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_merchandise#Link_to_this_page_at_the_top_of_shop.wikimedia.org.3F

Depois seria legal traduzir a página principal no meta e pensarmos em
produtos tupiniquins.

Tom

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

grin
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Martin Rulsch
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Free give-aways are okay. But a shop where Wiki* stuff can be sold, might
> be a problem.

Possibly out of the tread but let me comment that anyone anytime could
sell anything from Wikipedia until s/he follows the license terms, eg.
includes the source (and avoid to use non-free materials like logos,
obviously).

Funky question could be that where should the terms go since I believe
I could put a license leaflet next to a TShirt instead of printing it
onto it. Maybe.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Gadgets

Thomas Dalton
On 8 April 2013 06:58, Peter Gervai <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Martin Rulsch
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Free give-aways are okay. But a shop where Wiki* stuff can be sold, might
>> be a problem.
>
> Possibly out of the tread but let me comment that anyone anytime could
> sell anything from Wikipedia until s/he follows the license terms, eg.
> includes the source (and avoid to use non-free materials like logos,
> obviously).

I think most people want to have the Wikipedia logo on there
somewhere, which requires WMF permission.

> Funky question could be that where should the terms go since I believe
> I could put a license leaflet next to a TShirt instead of printing it
> onto it. Maybe.

I think you could just print the URL on the T-shirt.