[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

JP Béland
Good day,

I'm pleased to announce you the creation of Wikimedia Indigenous Languages
(WIL). WIL is the coordinating body for the promotion and development of
indigenous on Wikimedia projects.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Indigenous_Languages (or just
search WIL on Meta)

Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' vision is to see the sum of the knowledge
available to everybody in their own languages and to share the knowledge of
those languages themselves. It will achieve that by:

- Reaching indigenous languages speakers for the development of Wikimedia
projects in their language
- Establishing working cooperation with outside organizations involved in
the promotion of indigenous languages
- Creating and expanding Wikimedia projects in all indigenous languages

Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' role is to support and encourage the
efforts of specific projects to develop Wikimedia projects in small and
endangered languages. It will serve as an international body to collect and
share best practices, lessons learned and methodology to develop small
languages Wikimedia projects and preserve endangered languages. It will
also offer support to people interested in developing initiatives and new
projects. It will also become the point of contact to set up cooperation
with other organizations working towards the same goals and will also
actively seek such cooperation opportunities.

Anybody or any group who is interested in this project or any projects with
indigenous languages are welcome to join Wikimedia Indigenous Languages.
For questions or further discussion, come on the talk page, and a dedicated
mailing list to discuss languages-related issue and initiatives will soon
be crated.

Thanks,
JP Béland
(alias Amqui)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

Osmar Valdebenito
Great idea!
In Iberocoop we have discussed a lot about the topic so it will be really
helpful a project like this.

I'll forward this to Iberocoop-l

2012/8/29 JP Béland <[hidden email]>

> Good day,
>
> I'm pleased to announce you the creation of Wikimedia Indigenous Languages
> (WIL). WIL is the coordinating body for the promotion and development of
> indigenous on Wikimedia projects.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Indigenous_Languages (or just
> search WIL on Meta)
>
> Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' vision is to see the sum of the knowledge
> available to everybody in their own languages and to share the knowledge of
> those languages themselves. It will achieve that by:
>
> - Reaching indigenous languages speakers for the development of Wikimedia
> projects in their language
> - Establishing working cooperation with outside organizations involved in
> the promotion of indigenous languages
> - Creating and expanding Wikimedia projects in all indigenous languages
>
> Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' role is to support and encourage the
> efforts of specific projects to develop Wikimedia projects in small and
> endangered languages. It will serve as an international body to collect and
> share best practices, lessons learned and methodology to develop small
> languages Wikimedia projects and preserve endangered languages. It will
> also offer support to people interested in developing initiatives and new
> projects. It will also become the point of contact to set up cooperation
> with other organizations working towards the same goals and will also
> actively seek such cooperation opportunities.
>
> Anybody or any group who is interested in this project or any projects with
> indigenous languages are welcome to join Wikimedia Indigenous Languages.
> For questions or further discussion, come on the talk page, and a dedicated
> mailing list to discuss languages-related issue and initiatives will soon
> be crated.
>

> Thanks,
> JP Béland
> (alias Amqui)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

Ivan Martínez
Thanks to JP for the invitation to this new project, one that began to take
off in Wikimedia Mexico, and which are already actively working members of
our chapter. We are very happy to share our experiences.

Saludos.

2012/8/29 JP Béland <[hidden email]>

> Good day,
>
> I'm pleased to announce you the creation of Wikimedia Indigenous Languages
> (WIL). WIL is the coordinating body for the promotion and development of
> indigenous on Wikimedia projects.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Indigenous_Languages (or just
> search WIL on Meta)
>
> Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' vision is to see the sum of the knowledge
> available to everybody in their own languages and to share the knowledge of
> those languages themselves. It will achieve that by:
>
> - Reaching indigenous languages speakers for the development of Wikimedia
> projects in their language
> - Establishing working cooperation with outside organizations involved in
> the promotion of indigenous languages
> - Creating and expanding Wikimedia projects in all indigenous languages
>
> Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' role is to support and encourage the
> efforts of specific projects to develop Wikimedia projects in small and
> endangered languages. It will serve as an international body to collect and
> share best practices, lessons learned and methodology to develop small
> languages Wikimedia projects and preserve endangered languages. It will
> also offer support to people interested in developing initiatives and new
> projects. It will also become the point of contact to set up cooperation
> with other organizations working towards the same goals and will also
> actively seek such cooperation opportunities.
>
> Anybody or any group who is interested in this project or any projects with
> indigenous languages are welcome to join Wikimedia Indigenous Languages.
> For questions or further discussion, come on the talk page, and a dedicated
> mailing list to discuss languages-related issue and initiatives will soon
> be crated.
>

> Thanks,
> JP Béland
> (alias Amqui)

*Atentamente:

Iván Martínez
Coordinador General
Wikimedia México
mx.wikimedia.org

Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre
a la suma total del conocimiento humano.
Eso es lo que estamos haciendo <http://es.wikipedia.org>. *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

M. Williamson
I think it is important to add that all initiatives should be, as much as
possible, driven by indigenous people themselves and their priorities,
rather than consist of non-speakers, non-community members doing things
"for them" or "on their behalf".

If we want to talk about "stakeholders", let's please remember that the
_native_ speakers (not people learning the language as a hobby) are the
main stakeholders, they should be making the decisions as much as possible
and they should be creating the major part of the content; the rest of us
should be in "support positions".

Anything else, especially as part of a large international organization
rooted in a western society (Wikipedia was born in the US in a circle of
non-indigenous people, and most of the major people in our movement are not
indigenous), would be likely to receive only lukewarm support from
indigenous communities.

Lots of similar initiatives from lots of organizations and governments have
languished with little support from native speakers due to the same
paternalistic attitudes that are created time and time again. One example I
would like to share of this happening within our own movement is that of
certain people who create hundreds of pages in a language they barely speak
at incubator, on behalf of some idealized group of "native speakers",  and
then when the native speakers actually arrive, shouting them down or
telling them why their views are not valid (the indigenous person in their
mind was more "noble" and "exotic" and "special" than the real one,
perhaps?). This has actually happened a lot in Wikipedias created before
the incubation process existed (Nahuatl Wikipedia saw it happen multiple
times, Uyghur Wikipedia saw it happen at one point, countless others where
"hobbyists" shot down real native speakers).

Just some thoughts.

2012/8/29 JP Béland <[hidden email]>

> Good day,
>
> I'm pleased to announce you the creation of Wikimedia Indigenous Languages
> (WIL). WIL is the coordinating body for the promotion and development of
> indigenous on Wikimedia projects.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Indigenous_Languages (or just
> search WIL on Meta)
>
> Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' vision is to see the sum of the knowledge
> available to everybody in their own languages and to share the knowledge of
> those languages themselves. It will achieve that by:
>
> - Reaching indigenous languages speakers for the development of Wikimedia
> projects in their language
> - Establishing working cooperation with outside organizations involved in
> the promotion of indigenous languages
> - Creating and expanding Wikimedia projects in all indigenous languages
>
> Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' role is to support and encourage the
> efforts of specific projects to develop Wikimedia projects in small and
> endangered languages. It will serve as an international body to collect and
> share best practices, lessons learned and methodology to develop small
> languages Wikimedia projects and preserve endangered languages. It will
> also offer support to people interested in developing initiatives and new
> projects. It will also become the point of contact to set up cooperation
> with other organizations working towards the same goals and will also
> actively seek such cooperation opportunities.
>
> Anybody or any group who is interested in this project or any projects with
> indigenous languages are welcome to join Wikimedia Indigenous Languages.
> For questions or further discussion, come on the talk page, and a dedicated
> mailing list to discuss languages-related issue and initiatives will soon
> be crated.
>

> Thanks,
> JP Béland
> (alias Amqui)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

JP Béland
Good day,

What you say is obviously right. Here's what I have written for the
approach strategy in the Canada Strategy Plan to Reach Aboriginal
Communities, but is generic enough to apply pretty much everywhere: To
achieve success we need to not force our approach to potential
partners, but enhance their own goals by the use of Wikimedia
projects, primarily Wikipedia. Since using the languages on a
every-day basis and at school is the best solution to save them, the
focus of project cannot be solely on Wikipedia, but preferably with
Wikipedia as a tool in an overall community-based project. The key
thing to remember no matter what's the chosen approach is the
importance of making it simple for the Native contributors.

So, the ideal solution in my view would be to join existing
initiatives and projects within indigenous communities and show them
how Wikimedia projects offer a low-cost option to achieve their goals.
However, I think by actively seeking cooperation with and showing them
opportunities, we may be the spark that they need to start a
community-based project.

Here`s the strategy plan I was talking about for the Canadian project:
http://wikimedia.ca/wiki/Projects/Aboriginal_communities_outreach

Again, thanks for your input and this is definetly something everybody
involved need to keep in mind.

Wela'lin (thanks in Mi'kmaq),
JP

2012/8/30, M. Williamson <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>> also offer support to people interested in developing initiatives and new
>> projects. It will also become the point of contact to set up cooperation
>> with other organizations working towards the same goals and will also
>> actively seek such cooperation opportunities.
>>
>> Anybody or any group who is interested in this project or any projects
>> with
>> indigenous languages are welcome to join Wikimedia Indigenous Languages.
>> For questions or further discussion, come on the talk page, and a
>> dedicated
>> mailing list to discuss languages-related issue and initiatives will soon
>> be crated.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> JP Béland
>> (alias Amqui)

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

In Mexico we have clear this point. Instead, I want to add this point as
one of the first and elemental approach to the indigenous communities
initiative. We are sharing and working tools for their development,
coordinated with indigenous digital natives who have access to tech
resources in some places of the country. In some talks, we act as
facilitators with enthusiasts and communities and we always note to them
that start any project requires a commitment and management of their own.

In fact, the mexican indigenous communities have two concepts very similar
to our Commons philosophy: the "tequio", or communal work, and the idea of
sharing of free knowledge, which does not belong to anyone and is made
together, so it should not take a loan to someone specific. One example
that gave us a nahuatl community is that they refusing to participate in
more academic projects because they are clear that the sharing and
knowledge to researchers and institutions doesn't have any benefit back to
their community and they refuse a paternalistic attitude.

This first point of respect and collaboration as "one more" is the
essential key for communities give trust to work with our project and with
any other. By now, some enthusiastic (many of whom already work digital
projects in their own communities) are very clear on Western bias.

> [...]

> with
> > indigenous languages are welcome to join Wikimedia Indigenous Languages.
> > For questions or further discussion, come on the talk page, and a
> dedicated
> > mailing list to discuss languages-related issue and initiatives will soon
> > be crated.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > JP Béland
> > (alias Amqui)

*Atentamente:

Iván Martínez
Coordinador General
Wikimedia México
mx.wikimedia.org

Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre
a la suma total del conocimiento humano.
Eso es lo que estamos haciendo <http://es.wikipedia.org>. *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

the mailing list has been created for WIL on you are welcome to join:
[hidden email]).

Gracias,
JP

2012/8/29 Ivan Martínez <[hidden email]>

> Thanks to JP for the invitation to this new project, one that began to take
> off in Wikimedia Mexico, and which are already actively working members of
> our chapter. We are very happy to share our experiences.
>
> Saludos.
>
> 2012/8/29 JP Béland <[hidden email]>
>
> > Good day,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce you the creation of Wikimedia Indigenous
> Languages
> > (WIL). WIL is the coordinating body for the promotion and development of
> > indigenous on Wikimedia projects.
> >
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Indigenous_Languages (or just
> > search WIL on Meta)
> >
> > Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' vision is to see the sum of the knowledge
> > available to everybody in their own languages and to share the knowledge
> of
> > those languages themselves. It will achieve that by:
> >
> > - Reaching indigenous languages speakers for the development of Wikimedia
> > projects in their language
> > - Establishing working cooperation with outside organizations involved in
> > the promotion of indigenous languages
> > - Creating and expanding Wikimedia projects in all indigenous languages
> >
> > Wikimedia Indigenous Languages' role is to support and encourage the
> > efforts of specific projects to develop Wikimedia projects in small and
> > endangered languages. It will serve as an international body to collect
> and
> > share best practices, lessons learned and methodology to develop small
> > languages Wikimedia projects and preserve endangered languages. It will
> > also offer support to people interested in developing initiatives and new
> > projects. It will also become the point of contact to set up cooperation
> > with other organizations working towards the same goals and will also
> > actively seek such cooperation opportunities.
> >
> > Anybody or any group who is interested in this project or any projects
> with
> > indigenous languages are welcome to join Wikimedia Indigenous Languages.
> > For questions or further discussion, come on the talk page, and a
> dedicated
> > mailing list to discuss languages-related issue and initiatives will soon
> > be crated.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > JP Béland
> > (alias Amqui)

> *Atentamente:
>
> Iván Martínez
> Coordinador General
> Wikimedia México
> mx.wikimedia.org
>
> Imagina un mundo en donde cada persona del planeta pueda tener acceso libre
> a la suma total del conocimiento humano.
> Eso es lo que estamos haciendo <http://es.wikipedia.org>. *

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Indigenous Languages

JP Béland
Good day,

I'd like to let all interested people know that a mailing list has been
created to discuss this project:
[hidden email]).

Note that this is also the list for general discussion about
languages-related topics as well, so if you are interested in those, please
join.

Thanks,
JP