[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Italia recognized as OpenStreetMap chapter

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Italia recognized as OpenStreetMap chapter

Laurentius-2
Dear all,
after a long process, today Wikimedia Italia has been officially
recognized as the Italian OpenStreetMap chapter!

OpenStreetMap is a collaborative project that shares the same value as
the Wikimedia movement. It's not based on a wiki software and it's not
in the Wikimedia family, but from many points of views, it's the project
that is more similar to the Wikimedia ones; indeed, many wikipedians are
mappers also, and viceversa.

Similarly to Wikimedia, there is an OpenStreetMap Foundation (based in
the UK) and there are national OpenStreetMap chapters. In Italy, the
OpenStreetMap community has been talking for years about the creation of
a chapter. Most people felt that it was important, but also that
founding yet another association was pointless. Associations are not
built only on projects, but also, and mainly, on common values and on a
common vision: Wikimedia and OpenStreetMap share both, and it's just
natural to work together.

Wikimedia Italy officially started the process of becoming an
OpenStreetMap chapter in 2013 [1]. The association has supported
OpenStreetMap even before that (e.g., supporting the Italian
OpenStreetMap conference), and in the last two years, thanks also to the
work of many OpenStreetMap users that became members (and among them,
Simone Cortesi, OpenStreetMap volunteer since the beginning and WMI's
vicepresident), we have increased our efforts (as described also in
WMI's annual plan [2]). The recognition process has been quite long, but
today we've signed the chapters agreement, and now Italy is the second
country (after Iceland) to have an official OpenStreetMap chapter! (but
there are actually other unofficial chapters besides these two)

Lorenzo

[1]https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2013-July/127304.html
[2]https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2/Wikimedia_Italia/Proposal_form#OpenStreetMap

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Italia recognized as OpenStreetMap chapter

Lodewijk
Congratulations Lorenzo, congratulations Wikimedia Italia. It was indeed a
long process, and I recall that this question came up - was it more than
five years ago? I'm curious what the coming years will bring, and I trust
that you will report back about whether it is a satisfying construction or
not.

Best,
Lodewijk

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Laurentius <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear all,
> after a long process, today Wikimedia Italia has been officially
> recognized as the Italian OpenStreetMap chapter!
>
> OpenStreetMap is a collaborative project that shares the same value as
> the Wikimedia movement. It's not based on a wiki software and it's not
> in the Wikimedia family, but from many points of views, it's the project
> that is more similar to the Wikimedia ones; indeed, many wikipedians are
> mappers also, and viceversa.
>
> Similarly to Wikimedia, there is an OpenStreetMap Foundation (based in
> the UK) and there are national OpenStreetMap chapters. In Italy, the
> OpenStreetMap community has been talking for years about the creation of
> a chapter. Most people felt that it was important, but also that
> founding yet another association was pointless. Associations are not
> built only on projects, but also, and mainly, on common values and on a
> common vision: Wikimedia and OpenStreetMap share both, and it's just
> natural to work together.
>
> Wikimedia Italy officially started the process of becoming an
> OpenStreetMap chapter in 2013 [1]. The association has supported
> OpenStreetMap even before that (e.g., supporting the Italian
> OpenStreetMap conference), and in the last two years, thanks also to the
> work of many OpenStreetMap users that became members (and among them,
> Simone Cortesi, OpenStreetMap volunteer since the beginning and WMI's
> vicepresident), we have increased our efforts (as described also in
> WMI's annual plan [2]). The recognition process has been quite long, but
> today we've signed the chapters agreement, and now Italy is the second
> country (after Iceland) to have an official OpenStreetMap chapter! (but
> there are actually other unofficial chapters besides these two)
>
> Lorenzo
>
> [1]https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2013-July/127304.html
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2/Wikimedia_Italia/Proposal_form#OpenStreetMap

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Italia recognized as OpenStreetMap chapter

Katy Love
Congrats to WMI and Simone! Glad to hear of your recognition and will be
excited to see what comes next.

Katy

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:51 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Congratulations Lorenzo, congratulations Wikimedia Italia. It was indeed a
> long process, and I recall that this question came up - was it more than
> five years ago? I'm curious what the coming years will bring, and I trust
> that you will report back about whether it is a satisfying construction or
> not.
>
> Best,
> Lodewijk
>
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Laurentius <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> > after a long process, today Wikimedia Italia has been officially
> > recognized as the Italian OpenStreetMap chapter!
> >
> > OpenStreetMap is a collaborative project that shares the same value as
> > the Wikimedia movement. It's not based on a wiki software and it's not
> > in the Wikimedia family, but from many points of views, it's the project
> > that is more similar to the Wikimedia ones; indeed, many wikipedians are
> > mappers also, and viceversa.
> >
> > Similarly to Wikimedia, there is an OpenStreetMap Foundation (based in
> > the UK) and there are national OpenStreetMap chapters. In Italy, the
> > OpenStreetMap community has been talking for years about the creation of
> > a chapter. Most people felt that it was important, but also that
> > founding yet another association was pointless. Associations are not
> > built only on projects, but also, and mainly, on common values and on a
> > common vision: Wikimedia and OpenStreetMap share both, and it's just
> > natural to work together.
> >
> > Wikimedia Italy officially started the process of becoming an
> > OpenStreetMap chapter in 2013 [1]. The association has supported
> > OpenStreetMap even before that (e.g., supporting the Italian
> > OpenStreetMap conference), and in the last two years, thanks also to the
> > work of many OpenStreetMap users that became members (and among them,
> > Simone Cortesi, OpenStreetMap volunteer since the beginning and WMI's
> > vicepresident), we have increased our efforts (as described also in
> > WMI's annual plan [2]). The recognition process has been quite long, but
> > today we've signed the chapters agreement, and now Italy is the second
> > country (after Iceland) to have an official OpenStreetMap chapter! (but
> > there are actually other unofficial chapters besides these two)
> >
> > Lorenzo
> >
> > [1]
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2013-July/127304.html
> > [2]
> >
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2/Wikimedia_Italia/Proposal_form#OpenStreetMap

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Italia recognized as OpenStreetMap chapter

Tito Dutta
Congratulations. :)

On 29 January 2016 at 09:12, Katy Love <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Simone Cortesi, OpenStreetMap volunteer since the beginning and WMI's
> > > vicepresident), we have increased our efforts (as described also in
> > > WMI's annual plan [2]). The recognition process has been quite long,
> but
> > > today we've signed the chapters agreement, and now Italy is the second
> > > country (after Iceland) to have an official OpenStreetMap chapter! (but
> > > there are actually other unofficial chapters besides these two)
> > >
> > > Lorenzo
> > >
> > > [1]
> > https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2013-July/127304.html
> > > [2]
> > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2/Wikimedia_Italia/Proposal_form#OpenStreetMap

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Italia recognized as OpenStreetMap chapter

Risker
Well done, all!  It is really impressive to see such excellent
collaboration between free knowledge open source communities.  Everyone
should take a bow.

Risker/Anne

On 28 January 2016 at 23:16, Tito Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Congratulations. :)
>
> On 29 January 2016 at 09:12, Katy Love <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Congrats to WMI and Simone! Glad to hear of your recognition and will be
> > excited to see what comes next.
> >
> > Katy
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 4:51 AM, Lodewijk <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Congratulations Lorenzo, congratulations Wikimedia Italia. It was
> indeed
> > > long process, and I recall that this question came up - was it more
> than
> > > five years ago? I'm curious what the coming years will bring, and I
> trust
> > > that you will report back about whether it is a satisfying construction
> > or
> > > not.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Lodewijk
> > >
> > > On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Laurentius <
> [hidden email]>

> as
> not
> > project
> > are

> in
> > of
> on a

> > the
> > but
> second
> (but

> https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikimedia-l/2013-July/127304.html
> > > >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:APG/Proposals/2014-2015_round2/Wikimedia_Italia/Proposal_form#OpenStreetMap

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Italia recognized as OpenStreetMap chapter

Milos Rancic-2
On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Laurentius <[hidden email]> wrote:
> after a long process, today Wikimedia Italia has been officially
> recognized as the Italian OpenStreetMap chapter!

This is great and shows the uniqueness and general value of the
Wikimedia movement! It shows that Wikimedia chapters are capable to
become local umbrella organizations for other free content movements.
That's very important for people involved in such projects, as they
could rely on our infrastructure.

--
Milos

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Italia recognized as OpenStreetMap chapter

ramzymuliawan

Congratulations for the Italian community!
Sent from my Samsung device

Il giorno ven, 29/01/2016 alle 00.21 +0100, Lodewijk ha scritto:
> Congratulations Lorenzo, congratulations Wikimedia Italia. It was
> indeed a long process, and I recall that this question came up - was
> it more than five years ago?

I don't even remember when we first talked about his, but it might go as
back as in 2009, when the first OSMit (the Italian "State of the map" -
the national OpenStreetMap conference) was held (with the support of
Wikimedia Italia).

Lorenzo