[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

pajz
Hi everyone,

it is my pleasure to announce the release of the 2014 annual report on
Wikimedia's OTRS and specifically the Volunteer Response Team's
activities. Please find it at

https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/annual/2014

If you have any questions or comments, please leave them at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:OTRS/Reports/2014>.

About OTRS/the Volunteer Response Team: The Volunteer Response Team is
the group of volunteers that handles email traffic related to the
Wikimedia projects, from general inquiries to file permission emails.
The software they use is called OTRS, and our installation of OTRS is
also used by several other users within our movement, including
chapters, WMF staff, oversighters, Wikimania organizers etc. For more
information, see <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS>.

On behalf of the OTRS administrators,
Patrik (User:Pajz)

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

Asaf Bartov-2
Thank you for this fascinating report, and this is another opportunity to
thank all OTRS agents across the movement, for their tireless and
largely-unsung work.  I, for one, make it a point to mention and advocate
for OTRS.

I am curious in my volunteer capacity about the prominence of the
commons-permissions-he queue among other permission queues and relative to
the size of the Hebrew Wikipedia.  Does anyone have a good theory to
explain it?

   A.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 7:48 AM, pajz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> it is my pleasure to announce the release of the 2014 annual report on
> Wikimedia's OTRS and specifically the Volunteer Response Team's
> activities. Please find it at
>
> https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/annual/2014
>
> If you have any questions or comments, please leave them at
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:OTRS/Reports/2014>.
>
> About OTRS/the Volunteer Response Team: The Volunteer Response Team is
> the group of volunteers that handles email traffic related to the
> Wikimedia projects, from general inquiries to file permission emails.
> The software they use is called OTRS, and our installation of OTRS is
> also used by several other users within our movement, including
> chapters, WMF staff, oversighters, Wikimania organizers etc. For more
> information, see <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS>.
>
> On behalf of the OTRS administrators,
> Patrik (User:Pajz)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>




--
    Asaf Bartov
    Wikimedia Foundation <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>

Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!
https://donate.wikimedia.org
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

phoebe ayers-3
On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thank you for this fascinating report, and this is another opportunity to
> thank all OTRS agents across the movement, for their tireless and
> largely-unsung work.  I, for one, make it a point to mention and advocate
> for OTRS.

+1! The OTRS volunteers are heroes.

-- phoebe

p.s. The report layout/webpage is lovely! could it be used for other reports?


--
* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
<at> gmail.com *

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

Erik Moeller-4
In reply to this post by pajz
Patrik and everyone else involved in this -- this is pretty amazing work.
Thanks for everything you do, and thank you for documenting it so clearly.
--
Erik Möller
VP of Product & Strategy, Wikimedia Foundation
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

MZMcBride-2
In reply to this post by phoebe ayers-3
Hi.

Re: https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/annual/2014

phoebe ayers wrote:
>p.s. The report layout/webpage is lovely! could it be used for other
>reports?

I'm curious about this as well. I see that source code is mentioned at
<https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/index.html>, but I didn't see a
link off-hand. If a code repository exists somewhere that people could
contribute to, it might be nice to add a link in the footer. Just poking
around the HTML page source, the report seems to be built using at least
jQuery, Bootstrap, and xtable. Very neat, I'd be interested to learn more.

I also left a note on the wiki talk page about preserving this report. I'm
pretty concerned that these micro-sites won't last nearly as long as the
wikis, which is probably fine and to be expected, but I want to make sure
we don't lose important historical data.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:OTRS/Reports/2014#Preserving_history

MZMcBride



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

Kasia Odrozek
This is a great report on a truly amazing job!
Thank you Patrik and all OTRS agents across the movement, I'm a fan of
yours.
Kasia

2015-02-26 7:32 GMT+01:00 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>:

> Hi.
>
> Re: https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/annual/2014
>
> phoebe ayers wrote:
> >p.s. The report layout/webpage is lovely! could it be used for other
> >reports?
>
> I'm curious about this as well. I see that source code is mentioned at
> <https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/index.html>, but I didn't see a
> link off-hand. If a code repository exists somewhere that people could
> contribute to, it might be nice to add a link in the footer. Just poking
> around the HTML page source, the report seems to be built using at least
> jQuery, Bootstrap, and xtable. Very neat, I'd be interested to learn more.
>
> I also left a note on the wiki talk page about preserving this report. I'm
> pretty concerned that these micro-sites won't last nearly as long as the
> wikis, which is probably fine and to be expected, but I want to make sure
> we don't lose important historical data.
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:OTRS/Reports/2014#Preserving_history
>
> MZMcBride
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>



--
Kasia Odrozek
Vorstandsreferentin / Executive Advisor

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
Tel. +49 (030) 219 158 260
Mobil: +49 151 46752534

http://wikimedia.de <http://www.wikimedia.de/>

Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter
der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

pajz
Hi, thank you all for your feedback. Asaf and MZMcBride, I'll try to
answer your questions in one email, hope that's fine:

Asaf,
> I am curious in my volunteer capacity about the prominence of the
> commons-permissions-he queue among other permission queues and relative to
> the size of the Hebrew Wikipedia.  Does anyone have a good theory to
> explain it?

I don't really know about it, and volunteers from that queue probably
could share more insights, but I'd just note that, first, he doesn't
also have a permissions-he queue (as opposed to -de, -en, etc., which
all have two permissions queues, one for Commons and one for other
projects), and, second, there are two people who sent in more than a
fifth of all tickets responded to in 2014 (> 200 tickets), which is
somewhat high. Indeed, if you look at the 10 most frequent customers
you find that they account for almost 400 tickets, which might explain
how even a small language/Wiki community can have quite a busy queue.

MZMcBride,
> [...]
> I'm curious about this as well. I see that source code is mentioned at
> <https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/index.html>, but I didn't see a
> link off-hand. If a code repository exists somewhere that people could
> contribute to, it might be nice to add a link in the footer. Just poking
> around the HTML page source, the report seems to be built using at least
> jQuery, Bootstrap, and xtable. Very neat, I'd be interested to learn more.

I've added a link. Nothing fancy, really. I just wrote the HTML from
scratch based on Bootstrap with the TOC borrowed from someplace I
don't remember (but the Bootstrap team uses it in their own
documentation as well); the tables look the way they look because of
bootstrap-table (<http://bootstrap-table.wenzhixin.net.cn/>); the two
"interactive" (simple) charts were made using Chart.js
(<http://www.chartjs.org/>); xtable is an R package (I've used R for
the analytical parts that I did) which has a function to print R data
tables/frames as HTML tables, so that was all just copy&paste. All
static. The bar charts were created using ggplot2 and the plot.ly R
API (<https://plot.ly/ggplot2/>). Not sure if that's what you wanted
to know, but I hope it helps ;).

Regarding long-term archival of the report, I've answered at
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:OTRS/Reports/2014#Preserving_history>
(in short: yes, there will be a PDF, and the web version has also been
saved via archive.org).

Best,
Patrik

On 26 February 2015 at 11:48, Kasia Odrozek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a great report on a truly amazing job!
> Thank you Patrik and all OTRS agents across the movement, I'm a fan of
> yours.
> Kasia
>
> 2015-02-26 7:32 GMT+01:00 MZMcBride <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Re: https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/annual/2014
>>
>> phoebe ayers wrote:
>> >p.s. The report layout/webpage is lovely! could it be used for other
>> >reports?
>>
>> I'm curious about this as well. I see that source code is mentioned at
>> <https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/index.html>, but I didn't see a
>> link off-hand. If a code repository exists somewhere that people could
>> contribute to, it might be nice to add a link in the footer. Just poking
>> around the HTML page source, the report seems to be built using at least
>> jQuery, Bootstrap, and xtable. Very neat, I'd be interested to learn more.
>>
>> I also left a note on the wiki talk page about preserving this report. I'm
>> pretty concerned that these micro-sites won't last nearly as long as the
>> wikis, which is probably fine and to be expected, but I want to make sure
>> we don't lose important historical data.
>>
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:OTRS/Reports/2014#Preserving_history
>>
>> MZMcBride
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
>> [hidden email]
>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
>> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Kasia Odrozek
> Vorstandsreferentin / Executive Advisor
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland e.V. | Tempelhofer Ufer 23-24 | 10963 Berlin
> Tel. +49 (030) 219 158 260
> Mobil: +49 151 46752534
>
> http://wikimedia.de <http://www.wikimedia.de/>
>
> Wikimedia Deutschland - Gesellschaft zur Förderung Freien Wissens e.V.
> Eingetragen im Vereinsregister des Amtsgerichts Berlin-Charlottenburg unter
> der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt für
> Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>

_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

MZMcBride-2
pajz wrote:

>MZMcBride,
>> [...]
>> I'm curious about this as well. I see that source code is mentioned at
>> <https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/index.html>, but I didn't see a
>> link off-hand. If a code repository exists somewhere that people could
>> contribute to, it might be nice to add a link in the footer. Just poking
>> around the HTML page source, the report seems to be built using at least
>> jQuery, Bootstrap, and xtable. Very neat, I'd be interested to learn
>>more.
>
>I've added a link. Nothing fancy, really. I just wrote the HTML from
>scratch based on Bootstrap with the TOC borrowed from someplace I
>don't remember (but the Bootstrap team uses it in their own
>documentation as well); the tables look the way they look because of
>bootstrap-table (<http://bootstrap-table.wenzhixin.net.cn/>); the two
>"interactive" (simple) charts were made using Chart.js
>(<http://www.chartjs.org/>); xtable is an R package (I've used R for
>the analytical parts that I did) which has a function to print R data
>tables/frames as HTML tables, so that was all just copy&paste. All
>static. The bar charts were created using ggplot2 and the plot.ly R
>API (<https://plot.ly/ggplot2/>). Not sure if that's what you wanted
>to know, but I hope it helps ;).
>
>Regarding long-term archival of the report, I've answered at
><https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:OTRS/Reports/2014#Preserving_history
>>
>(in short: yes, there will be a PDF, and the web version has also been
>saved via archive.org).

You and the rest of the OTRS admin team are wonderful. Thank you very much
for putting together 2014's report; both its content and its appearance
are great. And thank you for the quick and helpful replies. :-)

MZMcBride



_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

metasj
In reply to this post by pajz
This is a quite wonderful report, and interesting data.  Thank you, Patrik.

On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM, pajz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> it is my pleasure to announce the release of the 2014 annual report on
> Wikimedia's OTRS and specifically the Volunteer Response Team's
> activities. Please find it at
>
> https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/annual/2014
>
> If you have any questions or comments, please leave them at
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:OTRS/Reports/2014>.
>
> About OTRS/the Volunteer Response Team: The Volunteer Response Team is
> the group of volunteers that handles email traffic related to the
> Wikimedia projects, from general inquiries to file permission emails.
> The software they use is called OTRS, and our installation of OTRS is
> also used by several other users within our movement, including
> chapters, WMF staff, oversighters, Wikimania organizers etc. For more
> information, see <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS>.
>
> On behalf of the OTRS administrators,
> Patrik (User:Pajz)
>
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>




--
Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia OTRS Annual Report

Katherine Maher
The Communications team relies on OTRS volunteers every week, so I really
enjoyed reading this report and learning more about your critical
contribution to our movement. I passed this along to some of our colleagues
outside the WMF that help support media inquiries, and got this response
that I wanted to share:

"Wow....OTRS is kind of magical. It's incredible that it's mostly handled
by volunteers -- amazing humans! Thanks for sharing :)"

Thank you again for all the wonderful work you do!

Katherine

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 5:45 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a quite wonderful report, and interesting data.  Thank you, Patrik.
>
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 10:48 AM, pajz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > it is my pleasure to announce the release of the 2014 annual report on
> > Wikimedia's OTRS and specifically the Volunteer Response Team's
> > activities. Please find it at
> >
> > https://tools.wmflabs.org/otrsreports/annual/2014
> >
> > If you have any questions or comments, please leave them at
> > <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:OTRS/Reports/2014>.
> >
> > About OTRS/the Volunteer Response Team: The Volunteer Response Team is
> > the group of volunteers that handles email traffic related to the
> > Wikimedia projects, from general inquiries to file permission emails.
> > The software they use is called OTRS, and our installation of OTRS is
> > also used by several other users within our movement, including
> > chapters, WMF staff, oversighters, Wikimania organizers etc. For more
> > information, see <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/OTRS>.
> >
> > On behalf of the OTRS administrators,
> > Patrik (User:Pajz)
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> > [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> > <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266
> _______________________________________________
> Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at:
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
> [hidden email]
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l,
> <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>
>



--
Katherine Maher
Chief Communications Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
149 New Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94105

+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6635
+1 (415) 712 4873
[hidden email]
_______________________________________________
Wikimedia-l mailing list, guidelines at: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Mailing_lists/Guidelines
[hidden email]
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wikimedia-l, <mailto:[hidden email]?subject=unsubscribe>