[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

John Andersson-2
Wikimedia Sverige is proud to be the recipient of $55,000 in support from
the grant-giving organization Kulturbryggan (Culture Bridge) for a project
investigating how to best include audio files on Wikimedia Commons.

Our work will focus on batch uploading audio files onto Wikimedia Commons
(with a focus on music recordings). In preparations for this, we will
investigate how the metadata can be included in a way that is best suited
for Structured Data once it gets deployed. This is a pilot project where we
aim to discuss with the community what to include and what to exclude. The
discussions and the requests from the community will form our planning
around future work with uploading audio files onto Wikimedia Commons. We
look forward working with the community and with the Structured Data team
at Wikimedia Foundation on how metadata about audio files can be included
in a well-structured and useful way.

This project will connect very closely to the FindingGLAMs project[1] and
will form one of the case studies included in it. In the case study we will
provide guidance for other GLAMs and Wikimedia affiliates who want to
upload audio files in the future.

The project also connects closely to Wikimedia Sverige’s planned project
aimed at building tools to collect speech recordings. The recordings,
illustrating how words are pronounced etc., will then be used to improve
the quality of Wikispeech[2], a text-to-speech (TTS) system that converts
written text into speech. We want to see what type of speech recordings can
and should be stored on Wikimedia Commons and what kind of metadata should
be included there; this project will help us clarify the needs.

Please contact John Andersson ([hidden email]) if you have any
questions.

As always, you can find the full application available on our wiki (in
Swedish).[3]

[1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FindingGLAMs

[2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikispeech

[3]
https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projekt:Fri_musik_p%C3%A5_Wikipedia_2019/Ans%C3%B6kan

Best,

John

- - - -

John Andersson

Executive Director

Wikimedia Sverige

Phone: +46(0)73-3965189

Email: [hidden email]

Visiting address: Goto10, Hammarby Kaj 10D, 120 32 Stockholm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [GLAM] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

Alex Stinson-4
Congratulations John! Its awesome that you are spending so much energy on
developing case studies and examples of collaboration for the movement.

Cheers,

Alex

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 9:38 AM John Andersson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wikimedia Sverige is proud to be the recipient of $55,000 in support from
> the grant-giving organization Kulturbryggan (Culture Bridge) for a
> project investigating how to best include audio files on Wikimedia Commons.
>
> Our work will focus on batch uploading audio files onto Wikimedia Commons
> (with a focus on music recordings). In preparations for this, we will
> investigate how the metadata can be included in a way that is best suited
> for Structured Data once it gets deployed. This is a pilot project where
> we aim to discuss with the community what to include and what to exclude.
> The discussions and the requests from the community will form our planning
> around future work with uploading audio files onto Wikimedia Commons. We
> look forward working with the community and with the Structured Data team
> at Wikimedia Foundation on how metadata about audio files can be included
> in a well-structured and useful way.
>
> This project will connect very closely to the FindingGLAMs project[1] and
> will form one of the case studies included in it. In the case study we will
> provide guidance for other GLAMs and Wikimedia affiliates who want to
> upload audio files in the future.
>
> The project also connects closely to Wikimedia Sverige’s planned project
> aimed at building tools to collect speech recordings. The recordings,
> illustrating how words are pronounced etc., will then be used to improve
> the quality of Wikispeech[2], a text-to-speech (TTS) system that converts
> written text into speech. We want to see what type of speech recordings can
> and should be stored on Wikimedia Commons and what kind of metadata should
> be included there; this project will help us clarify the needs.
>
> Please contact John Andersson ([hidden email]) if you have
> any questions.
>
> As always, you can find the full application available on our wiki (in
> Swedish).[3]
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FindingGLAMs
>
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikispeech
>
> [3]
> https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projekt:Fri_musik_p%C3%A5_Wikipedia_2019/Ans%C3%B6kan
>
> Best,
>
> John
>
> - - - -
>
> John Andersson
>
> Executive Director
>
> Wikimedia Sverige
>
> Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
>
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Visiting address: Goto10, Hammarby Kaj 10D, 120 32 Stockholm

Alex Stinson
Senior Program Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [GLAM] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

Mardetanha-2
Congratulations, you are doing great

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 7:19 PM Rajeeb Dutta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks John, for sharing the information, I am looking forward to
> contribute my part, all my best wishes for the grand success of the project.
> Thanks,
> Regards,
> Rajeeb Dutta, (Marajozkee).
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On 18-Dec-2018, at 9:08 PM, John Andersson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> Wikimedia Sverige is proud to be the recipient of $55,000 in support from
> the grant-giving organization Kulturbryggan (Culture Bridge) for a
> project investigating how to best include audio files on Wikimedia Commons.
>
> Our work will focus on batch uploading audio files onto Wikimedia Commons
> (with a focus on music recordings). In preparations for this, we will
> investigate how the metadata can be included in a way that is best suited
> for Structured Data once it gets deployed. This is a pilot project where
> we aim to discuss with the community what to include and what to exclude.
> The discussions and the requests from the community will form our planning
> around future work with uploading audio files onto Wikimedia Commons. We
> look forward working with the community and with the Structured Data team
> at Wikimedia Foundation on how metadata about audio files can be included
> in a well-structured and useful way.
>
> This project will connect very closely to the FindingGLAMs project[1] and
> will form one of the case studies included in it. In the case study we will
> provide guidance for other GLAMs and Wikimedia affiliates who want to
> upload audio files in the future.
>
> The project also connects closely to Wikimedia Sverige’s planned project
> aimed at building tools to collect speech recordings. The recordings,
> illustrating how words are pronounced etc., will then be used to improve
> the quality of Wikispeech[2], a text-to-speech (TTS) system that converts
> written text into speech. We want to see what type of speech recordings can
> and should be stored on Wikimedia Commons and what kind of metadata should
> be included there; this project will help us clarify the needs.
>
> Please contact John Andersson ([hidden email]) if you have
> any questions.
>
> As always, you can find the full application available on our wiki (in
> Swedish).[3]
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FindingGLAMs
>
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikispeech
>
> [3]
> https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projekt:Fri_musik_p%C3%A5_Wikipedia_2019/Ans%C3%B6kan
>
> Best,
>
> John
>
> - - - -
>
> John Andersson
>
> Executive Director
>
> Wikimedia Sverige
>
> Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
>
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Visiting address: Goto10, Hammarby Kaj 10D, 120 32 Stockholm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

sailesh patnaik
Congratulations, John!
It's really nice to see that Wikimedia Sweden is bringing such amazing
initiatives to the movement.

Regards!

*Sailesh Patnaik *"*ଶୈଳେଶ ପଟ୍ଟନାୟକ**"*
*Community Advocate, The Centre for Internet and Society*
https://www.linkedin.com/in/sailesh-patnaik-551a10b4
*Twitter*: @saileshpat

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 9:09 PM John Andersson <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Wikimedia Sverige is proud to be the recipient of $55,000 in support from
> the grant-giving organization Kulturbryggan (Culture Bridge) for a project
> investigating how to best include audio files on Wikimedia Commons.
>
> Our work will focus on batch uploading audio files onto Wikimedia Commons
> (with a focus on music recordings). In preparations for this, we will
> investigate how the metadata can be included in a way that is best suited
> for Structured Data once it gets deployed. This is a pilot project where we
> aim to discuss with the community what to include and what to exclude. The
> discussions and the requests from the community will form our planning
> around future work with uploading audio files onto Wikimedia Commons. We
> look forward working with the community and with the Structured Data team
> at Wikimedia Foundation on how metadata about audio files can be included
> in a well-structured and useful way.
>
> This project will connect very closely to the FindingGLAMs project[1] and
> will form one of the case studies included in it. In the case study we will
> provide guidance for other GLAMs and Wikimedia affiliates who want to
> upload audio files in the future.
>
> The project also connects closely to Wikimedia Sverige’s planned project
> aimed at building tools to collect speech recordings. The recordings,
> illustrating how words are pronounced etc., will then be used to improve
> the quality of Wikispeech[2], a text-to-speech (TTS) system that converts
> written text into speech. We want to see what type of speech recordings can
> and should be stored on Wikimedia Commons and what kind of metadata should
> be included there; this project will help us clarify the needs.
>
> Please contact John Andersson ([hidden email]) if you have
> any
> questions.
>
> As always, you can find the full application available on our wiki (in
> Swedish).[3]
>
> [1] https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/FindingGLAMs
>
> [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikispeech
>
> [3]
>
> https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projekt:Fri_musik_p%C3%A5_Wikipedia_2019/Ans%C3%B6kan
>
> Best,
>
> John
>
> - - - -
>
> John Andersson
>
> Executive Director
>
> Wikimedia Sverige
>
> Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
>
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Visiting address: Goto10, Hammarby Kaj 10D, 120 32 Stockholm

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [GLAM] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

camelia boban
Great news John, congratulations to all Wikimedia Sverige, we are so proud.
An experiment that certainly can help other projects.

Camelia,
WikiDonne User Group chair

--
*Camelia Boban*
*Affiliations Committee Treasurer - **Wikimedia *Foundation

Il giorno mar 18 dic 2018 alle ore 16:49 Alex Stinson <
[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> [...]
> >
> https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projekt:Fri_musik_p%C3%A5_Wikipedia_2019/Ans%C3%B6kan
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > John
> >
> > - - - -
> >
> > John Andersson
> >
> > Executive Director
> >
> > Wikimedia Sverige
> >
> > Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
> >
> > Email: [hidden email]
> >
> > Visiting address: Goto10, Hammarby Kaj 10D, 120 32 Stockholm

> Alex Stinson
> Senior Program Strategist
> Wikimedia Foundation
> Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads
>
> Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
> Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [GLAM] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

Gopala Krishna A
Hello,
Wow! It's wonderful news. Congratulations to the people who have put effort
and time. :)

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018, 21:41 camelia boban <[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
> > >

> https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projekt:Fri_musik_p%C3%A5_Wikipedia_2019/Ans%C3%B6kan
> > >
> > > Best,
> > >
> > > John
> > >
> > > - - - -
> > >
> > > John Andersson
> > >
> > > Executive Director
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Sverige
> > >
> > > Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
> > >
> > > Email: [hidden email]
> > >
> > > Visiting address: Goto10, Hammarby Kaj 10D, 120 32 Stockholm

> > Alex Stinson
> > Senior Program Strategist
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads
> >
> > Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
> > Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
> > https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [GLAM] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

Ben Vershbow
Congrats John and the WMSE team! This is such important work that will
expand the horizons of Commons. And as Gnangarra mentioned re oral
histories, it also has important implications for handling a broader
diversity of sources in our movement.

👏👏👏👏👏

Best,
Ben

--
Ben Vershbow
Director, Community Programs (libraries, education, cultural heritage)

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018, 5:24 PM Gnangarra <[hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>>> - - - -
>>>
>>> John Andersson
>>>
>>> Executive Director
>>>
>>> Wikimedia Sverige
>>>
>>> Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
>>>
>>> Email: [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Visiting address: Goto10, Hammarby Kaj 10D, 120 32 Stockholm

> GN.
> Noongarpedia: https://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/nys/Main_Page
> Out now: A.Gaynor, P. Newman and P. Jennings (eds.), *Never Again:
> Reflections on Environmental Responsibility after Roe 8*, UWAP, 2017.  Order
> here
> <https://uwap.uwa.edu.au/products/never-again-reflections-on-environmental-responsibility-after-roe-8>
> .

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [GLAM] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

Anna Torres-2
Thanks John for all your work!!

Count with WMAR for whatever you need!

Hugs!

El mar., 18 dic. 2018 20:16, Gopala Krishna A <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> [...]
> > project
> > improve
> > converts
> recordings
> > > can
> > > should

> > have

> (in

> https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Projekt:Fri_musik_p%C3%A5_Wikipedia_2019/Ans%C3%B6kan

> > > --
> > > Alex Stinson
> > > Senior Program Strategist
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads
> > >
> > > Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and
> other
> > > Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
> > > https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Sverige receives $55k+ in funding for project on audio files

Katy Love
What great news!! Congratulations to all involved for securing funding for
this project.

Katy