[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Sverige vs. the Visual Copyright Society in Sweden (BUS)

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Sverige vs. the Visual Copyright Society in Sweden (BUS)

John Andersson-2
Today we received some bad news in Sweden. The Swedish Patent and Market
Court ruled against Wikimedia Sverige in a lawsuit filed by Visual
Copyright Society in Sweden <http://bus.se/en> (BUS). The case concerns
images of public art online, more specifically in the case of our website
Offentligkonst.se <http://offentligkonst.se/>, a service created by
Wikimedia Sverige using images from Wikimedia Commons.

The ruling means that Freedom of Panorama is eroded and the public space is
diminished. It is a detrimental loss for our projects. Next we will talk to
our lawyers and WMF legal team to see what our remaining legal options are.
Our lawyers however believe that success is not very likely if we would
decide to move forward.

Intensive efforts to advocate for our elected officials to change the
outdated and problematic clauses in Swedish copyright law will be initiated
during the year.

We have also started a crowdfunding campaign to cover some of the cost of
the legal expenses and fines of about 750,000 SEK stated in the verdict
(around 89,000 USD) and for future national and international lobbying
efforts. Please consider making a donation at http://wikimedia.se/en/donera,
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>ev <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>en
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera> i <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>f
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>it <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera> i
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>s <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>a
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>sy <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>mb
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>ol <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>ic
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera> s <http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>um
<http://wikimedia.se/en/donera>. Simply  add “BUS” in the comment, and all
the money will be used for these costs.

Some useful links (in Swedish):

   -

   The legal argumentation from the court:
   <http://www.hogstadomstolen.se/Domstolar/hogstadomstolen/Avgoranden/2016/2016-04-04%20%C3%96%20849-15%20Beslut.pdf>
   http://www.bildupphovsratt.se/sites/default/files/upload/
   stockholms_tr_pmt_8448-14_dom_2017-07-06.pdf
   <http://www.bildupphovsratt.se/sites/default/files/upload/stockholms_tr_pmt_8448-14_dom_2017-07-06.pdf>
   <http://www.hogstadomstolen.se/Domstolar/hogstadomstolen/Avgoranden/2016/2016-04-04%20%C3%96%20849-15%20Beslut.pdf>
   -

   Our press release:
   <http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressreleases/hoegsta-domstolen-vaeljer-att-krympa-det-offentliga-rummet-istaellet-foer-att-gaa-paa-wikimedia-sveriges-linje-1360834>
   https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/wikimedia-sverige/
   pressreleases/domslut-krymper-det-offentliga-rummet-i-sverige-2054679
   <https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/wikimedia-sverige/pressreleases/domslut-krymper-det-offentliga-rummet-i-sverige-2054679>
   <http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressreleases/hoegsta-domstolen-vaeljer-att-krympa-det-offentliga-rummet-istaellet-foer-att-gaa-paa-wikimedia-sveriges-linje-1360834>
   -

   A timeline of what has happened: https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/
   Offentligkonst.se/Stämning

Best,

John

- - - -

John Andersson

Executive Director
Wikimedia Sverige

Phone: +46(0)73-3965189 <073-396%2051%2089>

Email: [hidden email]

Skype: johnandersson86

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Publicpolicy] Wikimedia Sverige vs. the Visual Copyright Society in Sweden (BUS)

Alex Stinson-4
Well bummer. I hope that you can figure out a good lobbying next step.

Cheers,

Alex

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 11:41 AM, John Andersson <[hidden email]
> [...]

>    https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/wikimedia-sverige/pressrelease
>    s/domslut-krymper-det-offentliga-rummet-i-sverige-2054679
>    <https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/wikimedia-sverige/pressreleases/domslut-krymper-det-offentliga-rummet-i-sverige-2054679>
>    <http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressreleases/hoegsta-domstolen-vaeljer-att-krympa-det-offentliga-rummet-istaellet-foer-att-gaa-paa-wikimedia-sveriges-linje-1360834>
>    -
>
>    A timeline of what has happened: https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/
>    Offentligkonst.se/Stämning
>

> Best,
>
> John
>
> - - - -
>
> John Andersson
>
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Sverige
>
> Phone: +46(0)73-3965189 <073-396%2051%2089>

Alex Stinson
GLAM-Wiki Strategist
Wikimedia Foundation
Twitter:@glamwiki/@sadads

Learn more about how the communities behind Wikipedia, Wikidata and other
Wikimedia projects partner with cultural heritage organizations:
http://glamwiki.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Publicpolicy] Wikimedia Sverige vs. the Visual Copyright Society in Sweden (BUS)

Fæ
John,

The WMF has a large legal fund to support volunteers and projects like
Commons, which from my memory has only ever been paid out on a couple
of occasions (if anyone has a link to a list, I love to see it). At
least part of the 89,000 USD mentioned seems suitable for this
emergency funding, especially as Wikimedia Sverige cannot have been
expected to plan for these costs.

Has WMF legal been approached to give them a chance to say yes?

Thanks,
Fae

On 7 July 2017 at 16:41, John Andersson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Today we received some bad news in Sweden. The Swedish Patent and Market
> Court ruled against Wikimedia Sverige in a lawsuit filed by Visual Copyright
> Society in Sweden (BUS). The case concerns images of public art online, more
> specifically in the case of our website Offentligkonst.se, a service created
> by Wikimedia Sverige using images from Wikimedia Commons.
>

> The ruling means that Freedom of Panorama is eroded and the public space is
> diminished. It is a detrimental loss for our projects. Next we will talk to
> our lawyers and WMF legal team to see what our remaining legal options are.
> Our lawyers however believe that success is not very likely if we would
> decide to move forward.
>

> Intensive efforts to advocate for our elected officials to change the
> outdated and problematic clauses in Swedish copyright law will be initiated
> during the year.
>

> We have also started a crowdfunding campaign to cover some of the cost of
> the legal expenses and fines of about 750,000 SEK stated in the verdict
> (around 89,000 USD) and for future national and international lobbying
> efforts. Please consider making a donation at http://wikimedia.se/en/donera,
> even if it is a symbolic sum. Simply  add “BUS” in the comment, and all the
> money will be used for these costs.
>

> Some useful links (in Swedish):
>
> The legal argumentation from the court:
> http://www.bildupphovsratt.se/sites/default/files/upload/stockholms_tr_pmt_8448-14_dom_2017-07-06.pdf
>
> Our press release:
> https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/wikimedia-sverige/pressreleases/domslut-krymper-det-offentliga-rummet-i-sverige-2054679
>
> A timeline of what has happened:
> https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Offentligkonst.se/Stämning
>

> Best,
>

> John
>
> - - - -
>
> John Andersson
>
> Executive Director
>
> Wikimedia Sverige
>
> Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
>
> Email: [hidden email]
>
> Skype: johnandersson86

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Publicpolicy] Wikimedia Sverige vs. the Visual Copyright Society in Sweden (BUS)

Philippe Beaudette-4
For reference, I believe Fae refers to the Defense of Contributors Fund:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal/Legal_Policies#Defense_of_Contributors

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 1:09 AM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> John,
>
> The WMF has a large legal fund to support volunteers and projects like
> Commons, which from my memory has only ever been paid out on a couple
> of occasions (if anyone has a link to a list, I love to see it). At
> least part of the 89,000 USD mentioned seems suitable for this
> emergency funding, especially as Wikimedia Sverige cannot have been
> expected to plan for these costs.
>
> Has WMF legal been approached to give them a chance to say yes?
>
> Thanks,
> Fae
>
> On 7 July 2017 at 16:41, John Andersson <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Today we received some bad news in Sweden. The Swedish Patent and Market
> > Court ruled against Wikimedia Sverige in a lawsuit filed by Visual
> Copyright
> > Society in Sweden (BUS). The case concerns images of public art online,
> more
> > specifically in the case of our website Offentligkonst.se, a service
> created
> > by Wikimedia Sverige using images from Wikimedia Commons.
> >

> > The ruling means that Freedom of Panorama is eroded and the public space
> is
> > diminished. It is a detrimental loss for our projects. Next we will talk
> > our lawyers and WMF legal team to see what our remaining legal options
> are.
> > Our lawyers however believe that success is not very likely if we would
> > decide to move forward.
> >

> > Intensive efforts to advocate for our elected officials to change the
> > outdated and problematic clauses in Swedish copyright law will be
> initiated
> > during the year.
> >

> > We have also started a crowdfunding campaign to cover some of the cost of
> > the legal expenses and fines of about 750,000 SEK stated in the verdict
> > (around 89,000 USD) and for future national and international lobbying
> > efforts. Please consider making a donation at
> http://wikimedia.se/en/donera,
> > even if it is a symbolic sum. Simply  add “BUS” in the comment, and all
> the
> > money will be used for these costs.
> >

> > Some useful links (in Swedish):
> >
> > The legal argumentation from the court:
> > http://www.bildupphovsratt.se/sites/default/files/upload/
> stockholms_tr_pmt_8448-14_dom_2017-07-06.pdf
> >
> > Our press release:
> > https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/wikimedia-sverige/
> pressreleases/domslut-krymper-det-offentliga-rummet-i-sverige-2054679
> >
> > A timeline of what has happened:
> > https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Offentligkonst.se/Stämning
> >

> > Best,
> >

> > John
> >
> > - - - -
> >
> > John Andersson
> >
> > Executive Director
> >
> > Wikimedia Sverige
> >
> > Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
> >
> > Email: [hidden email]
> >
> > Skype: johnandersson86

Philippe Beaudette

[hidden email]
415-716-1795

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Publicpolicy] Wikimedia Sverige vs. the Visual Copyright Society in Sweden (BUS)

Andreas Kolbe-2
I thought that case was lost over a year ago, in the Swedish Supreme Court:

http://fortune.com/2016/04/05/wikimedia-sweden-artworks/

What happened between then and now for this to end up in the Swedish Patent
and Market Court?

Andreas

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Philippe Beaudette <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > https://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/wikimedia-sverige/
> > pressreleases/domslut-krymper-det-offentliga-rummet-i-sverige-2054679
> > >
> > > A timeline of what has happened:
> > > https://se.wikimedia.org/wiki/Offentligkonst.se/Stämning
> > >

> > > Best,
> > >

> > > John
> > >
> > > - - - -
> > >
> > > John Andersson
> > >
> > > Executive Director
> > >
> > > Wikimedia Sverige
> > >
> > > Phone: +46(0)73-3965189
> > >
> > > Email: [hidden email]
> > >
> > > Skype: johnandersson86
> > --
> > [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae

> Philippe Beaudette
>
> [hidden email]
> 415-716-1795

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Publicpolicy] Wikimedia Sverige vs. the Visual Copyright Society in Sweden (BUS)

Rogol Domedonfors
As I undestand it, the Swedish Supreme Court determined the general
principles of law involved and remitted the case back to the Patent and
Market Court to resolve the specific issues between the parties.

"Rogol"