[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Alice Wiegand-4
Hi all,

on behalf of the Board of Trustees I'm glad to announce the following
statement about the travel guide RfC
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide :

Through the RfC, it is clear our community has reached consensus in
favor of the creation of a travel guide. The Board supports the
community decision to create a dedicated project for the collection of
free multilingual travel resources. We believe there is an enormous
amount of space for multiple wiki-based projects with travel content
and welcome the contributions of community members from around the
world.
We look forward to having a project that can provide additional
content for other travel sites to reuse and benefit from, which we
believe this site will do.

As a project supported by the Wikimedia Foundation, it will be subject
to the movement vision, mission, and values, as well as the Foundation
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. However, like all other Wikimedia
projects, the community of contributors is responsible for the
management and creation of the content, policies, rules, and
governance of the new project. The community will be responsible for
organizing the travel guide project, and once they have put all of the
necessary pieces together and provided them to the Foundation staff,
the Wikimedia Foundation will make the necessary technical adjustments
to support the site. We look forward to a new project and appreciate
the community taking the initiative to make this possible.

As we have reported in a blogpost [1], Internet Brands has filed a
lawsuit against community members, and, in response, Wikimedia
Foundation has filed a complaint against Internet Brands [2]. This
lawsuit by Internet Brands is not going to intimidate the Foundation
or stop the process.

[1] http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/09/05/wikimedia-foundation-seeks-declaratory-relief-in-response-to-legal-threats-from-internet-brands/
[2] https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:WMF_complaint_for_declaratory_judgement_September_2012.pdf

Regards, Alice.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
\o/

Nice!

and I'm wondering how they will sue for importing content that is on free
license...

On 6 September 2012 10:21, Alice Wiegand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> on behalf of the Board of Trustees I'm glad to announce the following
> statement about the travel guide RfC
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide :
>

> Through the RfC, it is clear our community has reached consensus in
> favor of the creation of a travel guide. The Board supports the
> community decision to create a dedicated project for the collection of
> free multilingual travel resources. We believe there is an enormous
> amount of space for multiple wiki-based projects with travel content
> and welcome the contributions of community members from around the
> world.
> We look forward to having a project that can provide additional
> content for other travel sites to reuse and benefit from, which we
> believe this site will do.
>
> As a project supported by the Wikimedia Foundation, it will be subject
> to the movement vision, mission, and values, as well as the Foundation
> Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. However, like all other Wikimedia
> projects, the community of contributors is responsible for the
> management and creation of the content, policies, rules, and
> governance of the new project. The community will be responsible for
> organizing the travel guide project, and once they have put all of the
> necessary pieces together and provided them to the Foundation staff,
> the Wikimedia Foundation will make the necessary technical adjustments
> to support the site. We look forward to a new project and appreciate
> the community taking the initiative to make this possible.
>
> As we have reported in a blogpost [1], Internet Brands has filed a
> lawsuit against community members, and, in response, Wikimedia
> Foundation has filed a complaint against Internet Brands [2]. This
> lawsuit by Internet Brands is not going to intimidate the Foundation
> or stop the process.
>
> [1]
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/09/05/wikimedia-foundation-seeks-declaratory-relief-in-response-to-legal-threats-from-internet-brands/
> [2]
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:WMF_complaint_for_declaratory_judgement_September_2012.pdf
>
> Regards, Alice.

Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
[hidden email]
+55 11 97 97 18 884

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Florence Devouard-3

To be fair, it's nice to see that they recognize their community has a
value :)

Flo

On 9/6/12 4:40 PM, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton wrote:

> \o/
>
> Nice!
>
> and I'm wondering how they will sue for importing content that is on free
> license...
>

> On 6 September 2012 10:21, Alice Wiegand <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> on behalf of the Board of Trustees I'm glad to announce the following
>> statement about the travel guide RfC
>> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide :
>>

>> Through the RfC, it is clear our community has reached consensus in
>> favor of the creation of a travel guide. The Board supports the
>> community decision to create a dedicated project for the collection of
>> free multilingual travel resources. We believe there is an enormous
>> amount of space for multiple wiki-based projects with travel content
>> and welcome the contributions of community members from around the
>> world.
>> We look forward to having a project that can provide additional
>> content for other travel sites to reuse and benefit from, which we
>> believe this site will do.
>>
>> As a project supported by the Wikimedia Foundation, it will be subject
>> to the movement vision, mission, and values, as well as the Foundation
>> Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. However, like all other Wikimedia
>> projects, the community of contributors is responsible for the
>> management and creation of the content, policies, rules, and
>> governance of the new project. The community will be responsible for
>> organizing the travel guide project, and once they have put all of the
>> necessary pieces together and provided them to the Foundation staff,
>> the Wikimedia Foundation will make the necessary technical adjustments
>> to support the site. We look forward to a new project and appreciate
>> the community taking the initiative to make this possible.
>>
>> As we have reported in a blogpost [1], Internet Brands has filed a
>> lawsuit against community members, and, in response, Wikimedia
>> Foundation has filed a complaint against Internet Brands [2]. This
>> lawsuit by Internet Brands is not going to intimidate the Foundation
>> or stop the process.
>>
>> [1]
>> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2012/09/05/wikimedia-foundation-seeks-declaratory-relief-in-response-to-legal-threats-from-internet-brands/
>> [2]
>> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/File:WMF_complaint_for_declaratory_judgement_September_2012.pdf
>>
>> Regards, Alice.

[Wikimedia-l] Next one ? Re: Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Mathias Damour
Le 06/09/2012 15:21, Alice Wiegand a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> on behalf of the Board of Trustees I'm glad to announce the following
> statement about the travel guide RfC
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Travel_Guide :
>

> Through the RfC, it is clear our community has reached consensus in
> favor of the creation of a travel guide. The Board supports the
> community decision to create a dedicated project (...)

That's fine!
They could be a next one, if it meets adequate resolution. That would be
will be Wikikids/Vikidia.
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikikids

--
Mathias Damour
49 rue Carnot

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Daniel Zahn-2
On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> and I'm wondering how they will sue for importing content that is on free
> license...

Well, it's "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike", so will have to
attribute Wikitravel and the original author(s) on every single page.

http://wikitravel.org/shared/Copyleft

--
Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
Operations Engineer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Thomas Dalton
On 7 September 2012 20:40, Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> and I'm wondering how they will sue for importing content that is on free
>> license...
>
> Well, it's "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike", so will have to
> attribute Wikitravel and the original author(s) on every single page.
>
> http://wikitravel.org/shared/Copyleft

Why attribute Wikitravel? The license only requires the author to be
attributed, not the first publisher. Ideally, content will be copied
across with the page history intact, which will constitute the
appropriate attribution (in the same way it does on Wikipedia). I
haven't been following too closely - are there any dumps available? It
seems unlikely it will be possible to get any now (I doubt IB can be
compelled to provide one).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
2012/9/7 Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>

> On 7 September 2012 20:40, Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM, Rodrigo Tetsuo Argenton
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> and I'm wondering how they will sue for importing content that is on
> free
> >> license...
> >
> > Well, it's "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike", so will have to
> > attribute Wikitravel and the original author(s) on every single page.
> >
> > http://wikitravel.org/shared/Copyleft
>
> Why attribute Wikitravel? The license only requires the author to be
> attributed, not the first publisher. Ideally, content will be copied
> across with the page history intact, which will constitute the
> appropriate attribution (in the same way it does on Wikipedia). I
> haven't been following too closely - are there any dumps available? It
> seems unlikely it will be possible to get any now (I doubt IB can be
> compelled to provide one).

WikiTeam did some backups in 2011 but only the last version for every page,
because the server was weak and unable to provide the complete history
http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/downloads/list?can=2&q=wikitravel

Indeed, they have started to "protect" themselves against the content
export http://wikitravel.org/en/Special:Export

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> haven't been following too closely - are there any dumps available? It
> seems unlikely it will be possible to get any now (I doubt IB can be
> compelled to provide one).

They just disabled their Special:Export page, but too late a bit since
the WikiTeam already made these:

http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/downloads/list?can=2&q=wikitravel
--
Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
Operations Engineer

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Daniel Zahn-2
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why attribute Wikitravel? The license only requires the author to be
> attributed, not the first publisher. Ideally, content will be copied
> across with the page history intact

Really? it says.. "(2) credit the author, licensor and/or other
parties (such as a wiki or journal) in the manner they specify; "

..and yeah, we don't appear to have the full history.

--
Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
Operations Engineer

On 7 September 2012 20:59, Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Why attribute Wikitravel? The license only requires the author to be
>> attributed, not the first publisher. Ideally, content will be copied
>> across with the page history intact
>
> Really? it says.. "(2) credit the author, licensor and/or other
> parties (such as a wiki or journal) in the manner they specify; "

The page you linked to doesn't specify any particular form of
attribution that I can see, so just crediting the author satisfies
that requirement.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
When we use 1911 Britannica texts, we only attribute to the encyclopedia,
not its authors, so we can put "This text comes from Wikitravel".

Anyway, if we are going to use Wikitravel texts, writing a script to scrape
just the usernames from histories is trivial
http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=Kaprun&action=history

2012/9/7 Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Why attribute Wikitravel? The license only requires the author to be
> > attributed, not the first publisher. Ideally, content will be copied
> > across with the page history intact
>
> Really? it says.. "(2) credit the author, licensor and/or other
> parties (such as a wiki or journal) in the manner they specify; "
>
> ..and yeah, we don't appear to have the full history.
>
> --
> Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]>
> Operations Engineer

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
| WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Nathan Awrich
On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM, emijrp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When we use 1911 Britannica texts, we only attribute to the encyclopedia,
> not its authors, so we can put "This text comes from Wikitravel".
>
> Anyway, if we are going to use Wikitravel texts, writing a script to scrape
> just the usernames from histories is trivial
> http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=Kaprun&action=history

That's not really accurate, and not how Wikimedia projects expect to
be credited either. "Wikipedia" or "Wikitravel" are not the authors of
any project content (other than, for Wikitravel, that written by
employees in the course of their employment).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada
How to re-use Wikitravel guides http://www.webcitation.org/6AVYKMbhE

Example of credits:
http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=Singapore&action=credits

2012/9/7 Nathan <[hidden email]>

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM, emijrp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > When we use 1911 Britannica texts, we only attribute to the encyclopedia,
> > not its authors, so we can put "This text comes from Wikitravel".
> >
> > Anyway, if we are going to use Wikitravel texts, writing a script to
> scrape
> > just the usernames from histories is trivial
> > http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=Kaprun&action=history
> >

> That's not really accurate, and not how Wikimedia projects expect to
> be credited either. "Wikipedia" or "Wikitravel" are not the authors of
> any project content (other than, for Wikitravel, that written by
> employees in the course of their employment).

Emilio J. Rodríguez-Posada. E-mail: emijrp AT gmail DOT com
Pre-doctoral student at the University of Cádiz (Spain)
Projects: AVBOT <http://code.google.com/p/avbot/> |
StatMediaWiki<http://statmediawiki.forja.rediris.es>
| WikiEvidens <http://code.google.com/p/wikievidens/> |
WikiPapers<http://wikipapers.referata.com>
| WikiTeam <http://code.google.com/p/wikiteam/>
Personal website: https://sites.google.com/site/emijrp/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Deryck Chan-2
Just write "Imported from Wikitravel" and list the names of all page
authors by scrubbing the Wikitravel page. Attribution given, problem
solved! (okay, not the import practicality bit)

On 7 September 2012 21:14, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM, emijrp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > When we use 1911 Britannica texts, we only attribute to the encyclopedia,
> > not its authors, so we can put "This text comes from Wikitravel".
> >
> > Anyway, if we are going to use Wikitravel texts, writing a script to
> scrape
> > just the usernames from histories is trivial
> > http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=Kaprun&action=history
> >

> That's not really accurate, and not how Wikimedia projects expect to
> be credited either. "Wikipedia" or "Wikitravel" are not the authors of
> any project content (other than, for Wikitravel, that written by
> employees in the course of their employment).

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Michael Peel-4

On 7 Sep 2012, at 21:14, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM, emijrp <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> When we use 1911 Britannica texts, we only attribute to the encyclopedia,
>> not its authors, so we can put "This text comes from Wikitravel".
>>
>> Anyway, if we are going to use Wikitravel texts, writing a script to scrape
>> just the usernames from histories is trivial
>> http://wikitravel.org/wiki/en/index.php?title=Kaprun&action=history
>>

> That's not really accurate, and not how Wikimedia projects expect to
> be credited either. "Wikipedia" or "Wikitravel" are not the authors of
> any project content (other than, for Wikitravel, that written by
> employees in the course of their employment).

We encourage attribution of Wikipedia articles as:

"This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "[[Metasyntactic variable]]", which is released under the [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0].

i.e. to the project not the authors…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:REUSE#Example_notice

Thanks,
Mike

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

Stefan Fussan
We have a complete set of articles and pictures including the complete
history (August 2012 just a day before they disabled the api). We are
about to migrate all articles on Wikivoyage. A test of Wikitravel:en
articles and wikitravel:shared pictures on Wikivoyage is running. So we
have a Wikivoyag/en and a second shared: now.  Its the first step to
move it to the WMF.

Please take participate on the discussion - especially concerning the
proper attribution...

http://www.wikivoyage.org/general/Talk:Migration_FAQ#4._Legal_issues

On 7 September 2012 21:11, emijrp <[hidden email]> wrote:
> When we use 1911 Britannica texts, we only attribute to the encyclopedia,
> not its authors, so we can put "This text comes from Wikitravel".

We use 1911 Britannica texts because they are in the public domain. We
don't have to attribute them at all, but choose to because a) it is
useful to readers for them to know where it came from and b) it avoids
accusations of plagiarism.

On 7 September 2012 21:25, Michael Peel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> We encourage attribution of Wikipedia articles as:
>
> "This article uses material from the Wikipedia article "[[Metasyntactic variable]]", which is released under the [http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/ Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0].
>
> i.e. to the project not the authors…
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:REUSE#Example_notice

Which is fine because the notice when you edit a page says:

"You agree that a hyperlink or URL is sufficient attribution under the
Creative Commons license."

So linking to the article is providing attribution "in the manner they specify".

I can't see any similar notice on Wikitravel. I definitely can't see
anything saying you are licensing it with a requirement to attribute
to Wikitravel.

On 7 September 2012 20:47, Thomas Dalton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 7 September 2012 20:40, Daniel Zahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Well, it's "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike", so will have to
>> attribute Wikitravel and the original author(s) on every single page.
>> http://wikitravel.org/shared/Copyleft

> Why attribute Wikitravel? The license only requires the author to be
> attributed, not the first publisher. Ideally, content will be copied
> across with the page history intact, which will constitute the
> appropriate attribution (in the same way it does on Wikipedia). I
> haven't been following too closely - are there any dumps available? It
> seems unlikely it will be possible to get any now (I doubt IB can be
> compelled to provide one).

People have been taking dumps of every page and its history, in
preparation for forking. This was inspired by Internet Brands being
reluctant to actually put up database dumps.

- d.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Travel Guide: Board statement

On 7 September 2012 21:11, emijrp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> When we use 1911 Britannica texts, we only attribute to the encyclopedia,
> not its authors, so we can put "This text comes from Wikitravel".

The 1911 EB is public domain; completely different situation.

- d.