[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Tomasz W. Kozlowski
The BBC reports that at least 22 people have died today in Kiev,
Ukraine, as result of the violent clashes between the opposition and the
government forces.

I have briefly visited Maidan Nezalezhnosti in March 2012 on my way to a
Wiki Loves Monuments workshop; the city of Kiev and the square itself
were beautiful, and it is absolutely terrible to witness the events that
are happening there now.

My thoughts are with Wikimedia Ukraine, which I know has at least a few
members living in the city of Kiev, and with other Wikimedia
contributors living in that city, as well as in the rest of Ukraine.

Please let us know if everyone is safe, and if there is any way we can
help you.

Stay safe! Залишайтеся в безпеці!

                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Bohdan Melnychuk
Some WMUA members stay on barricades. Other help in hospitals. IDK if
right now but they do regularly. --Base

20.02.2014 15:25, Tomasz W. Kozlowski написав(ла):

> The BBC reports that at least 22 people have died today in Kiev,
> Ukraine, as result of the violent clashes between the opposition and
> the government forces.
>
> I have briefly visited Maidan Nezalezhnosti in March 2012 on my way to
> a Wiki Loves Monuments workshop; the city of Kiev and the square
> itself were beautiful, and it is absolutely terrible to witness the
> events that are happening there now.
>
> My thoughts are with Wikimedia Ukraine, which I know has at least a
> few members living in the city of Kiev, and with other Wikimedia
> contributors living in that city, as well as in the rest of Ukraine.
>
> Please let us know if everyone is safe, and if there is any way we can
> help you.
>
> Stay safe! Залишайтеся в безпеці!
>
>                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Laura Hale
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Bohdan Melnychuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some WMUA members stay on barricades. Other help in hospitals. IDK if
> right now but they do regularly. --Base

I've blogged about this issue at
http://wikinewsreporter.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/ukrainian-civil-unrest-and-sochi-reporting/.
 The people I've dealt with in the chapter have been awesome all
things
considered in trying to support the movement by providing free information
while at the same time trying to deal with everything that is going on
around them.

Sincerely,
Laura Hale

--
twitter: purplepopple

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Dennis Pierri
In Venezuela we are going through the same situation! We students are being brutally repressed by government forces just for peacefully protesting, they've killed several students in cold blod, and they infiltrate our parades to generate destruction and chaos just to try and justify their actions. Every mayor city in Venezuela is protesting against the so called "son of Chavez", Cuban-controlled dictator Nicolás Maduro and his destructive economical and political policies. CNN en espanol (along with other international mass media) is making wide coverage of the situation because no national mass media is allowed to do so, they even took of air NTN24 (a Colombian news channel) for giving coverage of the situation. The only channel allowed to give coverage of the situation is the government controlled channel VTV, they only report what the government can use to their favor and very often twist stories to fit their purposes. Venezuela wants liberty and democracy, we are fighting for it, please help us by staying well informed, look for several sources not only one, and by giving us moral support!

Dennis Pierri

On 20/02/2014, at 09:03, Laura Hale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Bohdan Melnychuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Some WMUA members stay on barricades. Other help in hospitals. IDK if
>> right now but they do regularly. --Base
>>

> I've blogged about this issue at
> http://wikinewsreporter.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/ukrainian-civil-unrest-and-sochi-reporting/.
> The people I've dealt with in the chapter have been awesome all
> things
> considered in trying to support the movement by providing free information
> while at the same time trying to deal with everything that is going on
> around them.
>
> Sincerely,
> Laura Hale
>
> --
> twitter: purplepopple

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Srikanth Ramakrishnan-3
Stay safe everyone!

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Dennis Pierri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In Venezuela we are going through the same situation! We students are
> being brutally repressed by government forces just for peacefully
> protesting, they've killed several students in cold blod, and they
> infiltrate our parades to generate destruction and chaos just to try and
> justify their actions. Every mayor city in Venezuela is protesting against
> the so called "son of Chavez", Cuban-controlled dictator Nicolás Maduro and
> his destructive economical and political policies. CNN en espanol (along
> with other international mass media) is making wide coverage of the
> situation because no national mass media is allowed to do so, they even
> took of air NTN24 (a Colombian news channel) for giving coverage of the
> situation. The only channel allowed to give coverage of the situation is
> the government controlled channel VTV, they only report what the government
> can use to their favor and very often twist stories to fit their purposes.
> Venezuela wants liberty and democracy, we are fighting for it, please help
> us by staying well informed, look for several sources not only one, and by
> giving us moral support!
>
> Dennis Pierri
>
> On 20/02/2014, at 09:03, Laura Hale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Bohdan Melnychuk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Some WMUA members stay on barricades. Other help in hospitals. IDK if
> >> right now but they do regularly. --Base
> >>

> > I've blogged about this issue at
> >
> http://wikinewsreporter.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/ukrainian-civil-unrest-and-sochi-reporting/
> .
> > The people I've dealt with in the chapter have been awesome all
> > things
> > considered in trying to support the movement by providing free
> information
> > while at the same time trying to deal with everything that is going on
> > around them.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Laura Hale
> >
> > --
> > twitter: purplepopple

Srikanth Ramakrishnan
Treasurer,
Wikimedia Chapter [India]

Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Victor Grigas
My heart goes out to everyone involved in these situations. Please stay
safe.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:12 AM, Srikanth Ramakrishnan <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Stay safe everyone!
>

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM, Dennis Pierri <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > In Venezuela we are going through the same situation! We students are
> > being brutally repressed by government forces just for peacefully
> > protesting, they've killed several students in cold blod, and they
> > infiltrate our parades to generate destruction and chaos just to try and
> > justify their actions. Every mayor city in Venezuela is protesting
> against
> > the so called "son of Chavez", Cuban-controlled dictator Nicolás Maduro
> and
> > his destructive economical and political policies. CNN en espanol (along
> > with other international mass media) is making wide coverage of the
> > situation because no national mass media is allowed to do so, they even
> > took of air NTN24 (a Colombian news channel) for giving coverage of the
> > situation. The only channel allowed to give coverage of the situation is
> > the government controlled channel VTV, they only report what the
> government
> > can use to their favor and very often twist stories to fit their
> purposes.
> > Venezuela wants liberty and democracy, we are fighting for it, please
> help
> > us by staying well informed, look for several sources not only one, and
> by
> > giving us moral support!
> >
> > Dennis Pierri
> >
> > On 20/02/2014, at 09:03, Laura Hale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > I've blogged about this issue at
> > >

> http://wikinewsreporter.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/ukrainian-civil-unrest-and-sochi-reporting/
> > .
> > > The people I've dealt with in the chapter have been awesome all
> > > things
> > > considered in trying to support the movement by providing free
> > information
> > > while at the same time trying to deal with everything that is going on
> > > around them.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Laura Hale
> > >
> > > --
> > > twitter: purplepopple

> Srikanth Ramakrishnan
> Treasurer,
> Wikimedia Chapter [India]
>
> Donate to the Wikimedia India Chapter today<
> http://wiki.wikimedia.in/Donations>

*Victor Grigas*
Storyteller <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nTVAmstteM>
https://donate.wikimedia.org/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Galileo Vidoni
Please refrain from using this list for political claims. The purpose of
this thread was to know if our WMUA fellows are safe.

Thanks,

Galileo Vidoni
Presidente
A. C. Wikimedia Argentina
El 20/02/2014 12:53, "Dennis Pierri" <[hidden email]> escribió:

> In Venezuela we are going through the same situation! We students are
> being brutally repressed by government forces just for peacefully
> protesting, they've killed several students in cold blod, and they
> infiltrate our parades to generate destruction and chaos just to try and
> justify their actions. Every mayor city in Venezuela is protesting against
> the so called "son of Chavez", Cuban-controlled dictator Nicolás Maduro and
> his destructive economical and political policies. CNN en espanol (along
> with other international mass media) is making wide coverage of the
> situation because no national mass media is allowed to do so, they even
> took of air NTN24 (a Colombian news channel) for giving coverage of the
> situation. The only channel allowed to give coverage of the situation is
> the government controlled channel VTV, they only report what the government
> can use to their favor and very often twist stories to fit their purposes.
> Venezuela wants liberty and democracy, we are fighting for it, please help
> us by staying well informed, look for several sources not only one, and by
> giving us moral support!
>
> Dennis Pierri
>
> On 20/02/2014, at 09:03, Laura Hale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:30 PM, Bohdan Melnychuk <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Some WMUA members stay on barricades. Other help in hospitals. IDK if
> >> right now but they do regularly. --Base
> >>

> > I've blogged about this issue at
> >
> http://wikinewsreporter.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/ukrainian-civil-unrest-and-sochi-reporting/
> .
> > The people I've dealt with in the chapter have been awesome all
> > things
> > considered in trying to support the movement by providing free
> information
> > while at the same time trying to deal with everything that is going on
> > around them.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Laura Hale
> >
> > --
> > twitter: purplepopple

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Amir E. Aharoni
I visited Ukraine twice. The first time was when I was five years old,
mostly in the country side and in some magical historic towns like
Chernihiv, Nizhyn and Kozelets. I also spent one day in Kyiv, which left me
very strong and fond memories of open blue skies, tasty ice cream, and
lovely city squares. The most importantly thing happened during that visit,
however, was that I saw and heard the Ukrainian language, and I immensely
enjoyed spotting the differences between it and my native Russian. I was
then that decided that when I grow up, I want to work with languages in
some way. After many years that little dream came true, so Ukraine has a
very, very, very special place in my heart.

I am saddened and shocked to see fire, chaos, destruction, violence and
death on the beautiful streets and squares that I visited less than two
years ago.

My dear friends in Ukraine, you are cool people and excellent Wikimedians.
Know that I care about you and wish you peace and freedom. Please be safe;
I trust you to do the right thing.

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> The BBC reports that at least 22 people have died today in Kiev, Ukraine,
> as result of the violent clashes between the opposition and the government
> forces.
>
> I have briefly visited Maidan Nezalezhnosti in March 2012 on my way to a
> Wiki Loves Monuments workshop; the city of Kiev and the square itself were
> beautiful, and it is absolutely terrible to witness the events that are
> happening there now.
>
> My thoughts are with Wikimedia Ukraine, which I know has at least a few
> members living in the city of Kiev, and with other Wikimedia contributors
> living in that city, as well as in the rest of Ukraine.
>
> Please let us know if everyone is safe, and if there is any way we can
> help you.
>
> Stay safe! Залишайтеся в безпеці!
>
>                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

geni
On 20 February 2014 17:32, Galileo Vidoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please refrain from using this list for political claims. The purpose of
> this thread was to know if our WMUA fellows are safe.

That is already a political question. Most of Ukraine or even Kiev is no
more dangerous than usual. Being safe means not challenging the government
or being part of the police force.

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Bohdan Melnychuk
Unfortunately you are wrong. There is a risk to be attacked by so called
titushky just somewhere near own house. My friend saw buses with gunned
titusky in sleeping district of Kyiv on the other from the center side
of the Dnipro river. Titusky are criminals and they would not ask you if
you were challenging the government if they'd like to attack you… --Base

20.02.2014 20:00, geni написав(ла):

> On 20 February 2014 17:32, Galileo Vidoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Please refrain from using this list for political claims. The purpose of
>> this thread was to know if our WMUA fellows are safe.
>>

> That is already a political question. Most of Ukraine or even Kiev is no
> more dangerous than usual. Being safe means not challenging the government
> or being part of the police force.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Nathan Awrich
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Galileo Vidoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please refrain from using this list for political claims. The purpose of
> this thread was to know if our WMUA fellows are safe.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Galileo Vidoni
> Presidente
> A. C. Wikimedia Argentina

Galileo, that is not the policy of this list.

Wishing a safe and healthy life to all Ukrainians during their time of
turmoil.

~Nathan

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Nathan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Galileo Vidoni <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Please refrain from using this list for political claims. The purpose of
> > this thread was to know if our WMUA fellows are safe.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Galileo Vidoni
> > Presidente
> > A. C. Wikimedia Argentina
>

> Galileo, that is not the policy of this list.
>
> Wishing a safe and healthy life to all Ukrainians during their time of
> turmoil.
>
> ~Nathan

Just in case it was not clear what was I replying to: claims about
"Cuban-controlled" dictators, and partisan politics in general. I'm sure
this list was not created to discuss partisan claims about local
politicians, just like we're not discussing Obamacare --not politics in the
broad sense, of course: Latin languages don't even make a distinction, as
English does, between politics and policies. Aiming to know the situation
of fellow Wikimedians, whether they are in Ukraine, in Venezuela, or in
whatever other place undergoing difficult circumstances, is a completely
different thing.

I hope it's clear now.

Best,

Galileo Vidoni
Presidente
A. C. Wikimedia Argentina

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Keegan Peterzell
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Amir E. Aharoni <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> My dear friends in Ukraine, you are cool people and excellent Wikimedians.
> Know that I care about you and wish you peace and freedom. Please be safe;
> I trust you to do the right thing.

This.

--
~Keegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

phoebe ayers-3
On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Keegan Peterzell <[hidden email]>wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Amir E. Aharoni <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > My dear friends in Ukraine, you are cool people and excellent
> Wikimedians.
> > Know that I care about you and wish you peace and freedom. Please be
> safe;
> > I trust you to do the right thing.
>

> This.

Yes. Friends in Ukraine and Venezuela and all difficult situations right
now, I hope you are well and safe. My thoughts are with you.

-- phoebe

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Béria Lima
Well just to answer that particular mail by Galio (below) that bothered me:

As far as I see Dennis mail was only a call for help since in Venezuela
there is also a Chapter and also wikipedians in danger right now. He didn't
do in the most calm way but I can completely understand his aggravation
because the situation he is in. There is no request to discuss politics or
policies or anything. Actually the only thing the Venezuelans ask is to
#PrayForVenezuela <https://twitter.com/search?q=%23PrayForVenezuela>. Your
mail in the other hand sounded to me like Venezuela and their wikipedians
where of no importance.

But anyway, let's go back to track.

_____
*Béria Lima*

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*

On 20 February 2014 13:02, Galileo Vidoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please refrain from using this list for political claims. The purpose of
> this thread was to know if our WMUA fellows are safe.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Galileo Vidoni
> Presidente
> A. C. Wikimedia Argentina
> El 20/02/2014 12:53, "Dennis Pierri" <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> > In Venezuela we are going through the same situation! We students are
> > being brutally repressed by government forces just for peacefully
> > protesting, they've killed several students in cold blod, and they
> > infiltrate our parades to generate destruction and chaos just to try and
> > justify their actions. Every mayor city in Venezuela is protesting
> against
> > the so called "son of Chavez", Cuban-controlled dictator Nicolás Maduro
> and
> > his destructive economical and political policies. CNN en espanol (along
> > with other international mass media) is making wide coverage of the
> > situation because no national mass media is allowed to do so, they even
> > took of air NTN24 (a Colombian news channel) for giving coverage of the
> > situation. The only channel allowed to give coverage of the situation is
> > the government controlled channel VTV, they only report what the
> government
> > can use to their favor and very often twist stories to fit their
> purposes.
> > Venezuela wants liberty and democracy, we are fighting for it, please
> help
> > us by staying well informed, look for several sources not only one, and
> by
> > giving us moral support!
> >
> > Dennis Pierri
> >
> > On 20/02/2014, at 09:03, Laura Hale <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > I've blogged about this issue at
> > >

> http://wikinewsreporter.wordpress.com/2014/02/19/ukrainian-civil-unrest-and-sochi-reporting/
> > .
> > > The people I've dealt with in the chapter have been awesome all
> > > things
> > > considered in trying to support the movement by providing free
> > information
> > > while at the same time trying to deal with everything that is going on
> > > around them.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Laura Hale
> > >
> > > --
> > > twitter: purplepopple

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

metasj
Terrible to see indeed.  Please know that many are thinking of you.
I wish you a swift resolution and control of your own streets.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Bohdan Melnychuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some WMUA members stay on barricades. Other help in hospitals. IDK if right
> now but they do regularly. --Base
>
> 20.02.2014 15:25, Tomasz W. Kozlowski написав(ла):
>
>> The BBC reports that at least 22 people have died today in Kiev, Ukraine,
>> as result of the violent clashes between the opposition and the government
>> forces.
>>
>> I have briefly visited Maidan Nezalezhnosti in March 2012 on my way to a
>> Wiki Loves Monuments workshop; the city of Kiev and the square itself were
>> beautiful, and it is absolutely terrible to witness the events that are
>> happening there now.
>>
>> My thoughts are with Wikimedia Ukraine, which I know has at least a few
>> members living in the city of Kiev, and with other Wikimedia contributors
>> living in that city, as well as in the rest of Ukraine.
>>
>> Please let us know if everyone is safe, and if there is any way we can
>> help you.
>>
>> Stay safe! Залишайтеся в безпеці!
>>
>>                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Pavlo Shevelo
A lot of cordial thanks to everybody for your concerns and worryings in our
safety as well as your wishes, we appreciate that very much.
As for today all WMUA members are safe (according to information
available), but there is more troubles so dangers (risks) ahead, mainly in
Kharkiv and other cities and parts of Ukraine.

We comprehend the situation in Venezuela and wish that all wikipedians from
there will stay safe as well.

Thanks once again.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> The BBC reports that at least 22 people have died today in Kiev, Ukraine,
> as result of the violent clashes between the opposition and the government
> forces.
>
> I have briefly visited Maidan Nezalezhnosti in March 2012 on my way to a
> Wiki Loves Monuments workshop; the city of Kiev and the square itself were
> beautiful, and it is absolutely terrible to witness the events that are
> happening there now.
>
> My thoughts are with Wikimedia Ukraine, which I know has at least a few
> members living in the city of Kiev, and with other Wikimedia contributors
> living in that city, as well as in the rest of Ukraine.
>
> Please let us know if everyone is safe, and if there is any way we can
> help you.
>
> Stay safe! Залишайтеся в безпеці!
>
>                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Amir E. Aharoni
Big sigh.

According to Wikimedia Ukraine blog, one Wikimedian was killed: Ihor
Kostenko, a student of Geography born in 1991.

http://wikimediaukraine.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/in-memoriam-of-ihor-kostenko/

You can express condolences here:
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ig2000/Пам'ять

http://aharoni.wordpress.com
‪“We're living in pieces,
I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> The BBC reports that at least 22 people have died today in Kiev, Ukraine,
> as result of the violent clashes between the opposition and the government
> forces.
>
> I have briefly visited Maidan Nezalezhnosti in March 2012 on my way to a
> Wiki Loves Monuments workshop; the city of Kiev and the square itself were
> beautiful, and it is absolutely terrible to witness the events that are
> happening there now.
>
> My thoughts are with Wikimedia Ukraine, which I know has at least a few
> members living in the city of Kiev, and with other Wikimedia contributors
> living in that city, as well as in the rest of Ukraine.
>
> Please let us know if everyone is safe, and if there is any way we can
> help you.
>
> Stay safe! Залишайтеся в безпеці!
>
>                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Pavlo Shevelo
Yes, with deep sorrow today I got to know that I was wrong - *we lost one
wikipedian*.

I dare to hope that it will be one and only such 'mistake' meaning no more
dead bodies will be discovered and all heavily wounded people will survive.

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 11:16 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Big sigh.
>
> According to Wikimedia Ukraine blog, one Wikimedian was killed: Ihor
> Kostenko, a student of Geography born in 1991.
>

> http://wikimediaukraine.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/in-memoriam-of-ihor-kostenko/
>
> You can express condolences here:
> https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ig2000/Пам'ять

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> > The BBC reports that at least 22 people have died today in Kiev, Ukraine,
> > as result of the violent clashes between the opposition and the
> government
> > forces.
> >
> > I have briefly visited Maidan Nezalezhnosti in March 2012 on my way to a
> > Wiki Loves Monuments workshop; the city of Kiev and the square itself
> were
> > beautiful, and it is absolutely terrible to witness the events that are
> > happening there now.
> >
> > My thoughts are with Wikimedia Ukraine, which I know has at least a few
> > members living in the city of Kiev, and with other Wikimedia contributors
> > living in that city, as well as in the rest of Ukraine.
> >
> > Please let us know if everyone is safe, and if there is any way we can
> > help you.
> >
> > Stay safe! Залишайтеся в безпеці!
> >
> >                 Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia Ukraine -- is everyone safe?

Maryana Pinchuk
For those of you who don't read Ukrainian, a quick ad-hoc translation of
the blog post. So sorry for the loss of a fellow Ukrainian and such a
bright young member of the Wikimedia movement :(

* * *

"Wikipedian Igor Kostenko dies on the Maidan.

February 20, 2014, during the protests in Kiev, Igor Kostenko – an active
contributor to the Ukrainian Wikipedia, journalist and geography student –
died tragically.

Igor Kostenko was born December 31, 1991, in the village of Zubrets in the
Buchach region of Ternopil. After graduating from high school, he attended
Ivan Franko University in Lviv, where he was in his fifth year of study in
the department of geography, majoring in Organizational Management. In
addition to his studies, he worked as a journalist for the publication
"Sports Analysis."

Igor was an active contributor to the Ukrainian Wikipedia, writing under
the username Ig2000.[1] Igor registered an account on July 23, 2011, and in
just that month began writing his first articles. In two and a half years,
he wrote over 280 articles and made over 1,600 edits. He had a wide range
of encyclopedic interests – he wrote articles on sports topics (soccer,
Formula One), geography, economics, and the history of the Ukrainian
military. His article on the Nezamozhnyk destroyer of the Ukrainian and
Soviet fleet in the first half of the 20th century[2] was acknowledged for
its quality by the community and achieved the status of "Good article."
Additionally, he contributed many updates on sports events to Wikinews.

Igor was also active in promoting Ukrainian Wikipedia on social media,
through which he sought to gain more contributors. He was an administrator
of the Ukrainian Wikipedians Facebook page,[3] where he regularly posted
interesting facts from Wikipedia. In August 2013 he proposed hosting a Wiki
Flashmob – inviting a large group of Ukrainians to participate in a day of
article-writing on Wikipedia. The Wiki Flashmob was planned for January 20,
2014, the 10-year anniversary of Ukrainian Wikipedia, but due to the tragic
events in the country, the event was cancelled. Igor believed that the
flashmob would help fill Wikipedia with thousands of new articles in the
course of a day and proposed a strategy to realize his dream, but
unfortunately, he did not live to see it become a reality.

On February 18, 2014, along with other students from Lviv, Igor came to
Kiev to the Euromaidan, because he wanted Ukraine to be led by people with
a patriotic spirit. On February 20th, during a protest on Instytutskaya
Street, Igor died tragically: he bravely went ahead with a shield, but he
was shot by two bullets, one of which struck him in the head...

Today, February 23, Igor was buried in his home town of Buchach. Thousands
of people accompanied him on his final journey – both students from Lviv
and residents of Ternopil.

In honor of Igor and the tens of others who died on the Euromaidan,[4] on
February 21, the community decided to modify the logo of the Ukrainian
Wikipedia with a black ribbon as a symbol of mourning.

The editors of Ukrainian Wikipedia and Wikimedia Ukraine offer their
condolences to the friends and family of Igor Kostenko. A page has been
created on Wikipedia where you can leave your condolences.[5]

Memory eternal..."

1.
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D1%83%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%87:Ig2000
2.
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9D%D0%B5%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%B6%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA_(%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BC%D1%96%D0%BD%D0%B5%D1%86%D1%8C)
3. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukwiki/
4.
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%BA_%D0%B7%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%B8%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%B8%D1%85_%D1%83%D1%87%D0%B0%D1%81%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA%D1%96%D0%B2_%D0%84%D0%B2%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BC%D0%B0%D0%B9%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BD%D1%83
5.
https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9E%D0%B1%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B2%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8F_%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%81%D1%82%D1%83%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B0:Ig2000/%D0%9F%D0%B0%D0%BC%27%D1%8F%D1%82%D1%8C

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Big sigh.
>
> According to Wikimedia Ukraine blog, one Wikimedian was killed: Ihor
> Kostenko, a student of Geography born in 1991.
>

> http://wikimediaukraine.wordpress.com/2014/02/23/in-memoriam-of-ihor-kostenko/
>
> You can express condolences here:
> https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Ig2000/Пам'ять

> http://aharoni.wordpress.com
> ‪“We're living in pieces,
> I want to live in peace.” – T. Moore‬

> > The BBC reports that at least 22 people have died today in Kiev, Ukraine,
> > as result of the violent clashes between the opposition and the
> government
> > forces.
> >
> > I have briefly visited Maidan Nezalezhnosti in March 2012 on my way to a
> > Wiki Loves Monuments workshop; the city of Kiev and the square itself
> were
> > beautiful, and it is absolutely terrible to witness the events that are
> > happening there now.
> >
> > My thoughts are with Wikimedia Ukraine, which I know has at least a few
> > members living in the city of Kiev, and with other Wikimedia contributors
> > living in that city, as well as in the rest of Ukraine.
> >
> > Please let us know if everyone is safe, and if there is any way we can
> > help you.
> >
> > Stay safe! Залишайтеся в безпеці!
> >
> >                 Tomasz

Maryana Pinchuk