[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and other 60+ organizations launch the Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC)

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and other 60+ organizations launch the Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC)

Dario Taraborelli-3
Hey all,

I wanted to let you know that we launched an initiative this morning
called: Initiative for Open Citations <https://i4oc.org/> (I4OC).

Prior to the launch of I4OC, only 1% of scholarly papers made citation data
available in the open. Today, that number has jumped to 40%. We're proud to
make a growing piece of fundamental data for open knowledge available to
everyone, with no copyright restriction whatsoever.

The I4OC has been in the making for the past 6 months, with lots of
individual discussions with scholarly publishers, asking them to flip the
switch and release this data. Wikimedia Deutschland, Wikimedia UK, the Wiki
Edu Foundation, the Internet Archive, Mozilla, PLOS and many other open
knowledge and open data organizations are among the official endorsers of
the initiative.

You can read more about this initiative on a post
<https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/06/initiative-for-open-citations/> we
published this morning on the Wikimedia Blog, on the joint press release
<https://i4oc.org/press.html>, or follow @i4oc_org
<https://twitter.com/i4oc_org> for more updates.

Best,
Dario

--

*Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia and other 60+ organizations launch the Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC)

Victoria Coleman
Dario and team,

this is a terrific achievement. Proud to see the Foundation create transparency in citation data!

All the best,

Victoria

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 11:11 AM, Dario Taraborelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> I wanted to let you know that we launched an initiative this morning
> called: Initiative for Open Citations <https://i4oc.org/> (I4OC).
>
> Prior to the launch of I4OC, only 1% of scholarly papers made citation data
> available in the open. Today, that number has jumped to 40%. We're proud to
> make a growing piece of fundamental data for open knowledge available to
> everyone, with no copyright restriction whatsoever.
>
> The I4OC has been in the making for the past 6 months, with lots of
> individual discussions with scholarly publishers, asking them to flip the
> switch and release this data. Wikimedia Deutschland, Wikimedia UK, the Wiki
> Edu Foundation, the Internet Archive, Mozilla, PLOS and many other open
> knowledge and open data organizations are among the official endorsers of
> the initiative.
>
> You can read more about this initiative on a post
> <https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/04/06/initiative-for-open-citations/> we
> published this morning on the Wikimedia Blog, on the joint press release
> <https://i4oc.org/press.html>, or follow @i4oc_org
> <https://twitter.com/i4oc_org> for more updates.
>
> Best,
> Dario
>

> --
>
> *Dario Taraborelli  *Director, Head of Research, Wikimedia Foundation
> wikimediafoundation.org • nitens.org • @readermeter
> <http://twitter.com/readermeter>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [wikicite-discuss] Wikimedia and other 60+ organizations launch the Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC)

Andy Mabbett-2
On 6 April 2017 at 19:11, Dario Taraborelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I wanted to let you know that we launched an initiative this morning called:
> Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC).

Wikipedia article here:

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initiative_for_Open_Citations

improvements/ additions, and translations, welcome!

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [OpenAccess] [wikicite-discuss] Wikimedia and other 60+ organizations launch the Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC)

NC Hasive
Great work.

-Hasive

On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 6 April 2017 at 19:11, Dario Taraborelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > I wanted to let you know that we launched an initiative this morning
> called:
> > Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC).
>
> Wikipedia article here:
>
>    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initiative_for_Open_Citations
>
> improvements/ additions, and translations, welcome!
>
> --
> Andy Mabbett
> @pigsonthewing
> http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

*Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) **:: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী (হাছিব)*
User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive> |
GSM/WhatsApp/Viber: +8801712754752

Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/user:Hasive>
Board Member | Wikimedia Bangladesh <http://www.wikimedia.org.bd/>
fb.com/Hasive <http://fb.com/NCHasive> | @nhasive
<http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | www.nhasive.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [OpenAccess] [wikicite-discuss] Wikimedia and other 60+ organizations launch the Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC)

Adele Vrana
Congratulations Dario and everyone from Research who made this possible.
Remarkable effort!

On Sun, Apr 9, 2017 at 11:41 PM, NC Hasive <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Great work.
>
> -Hasive
>

> On Fri, Apr 7, 2017 at 4:38 AM, Andy Mabbett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 6 April 2017 at 19:11, Dario Taraborelli <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I wanted to let you know that we launched an initiative this morning
> > called:
> > > Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC).
> >
> > Wikipedia article here:
> >
> >    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initiative_for_Open_Citations
> >
> > improvements/ additions, and translations, welcome!
> >
> > --
> > Andy Mabbett
> > @pigsonthewing
> > http://pigsonthewing.org.uk

> *Nurunnaby Chowdhury (Hasive) **:: **নুরুন্নবী চৌধুরী (হাছিব)*
> User: Hasive <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Hasive> |
> GSM/WhatsApp/Viber: +8801712754752
> ​
> Administrator | Bengali Wikipedia <http://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/
> user:Hasive>
> Board Member | Wikimedia Bangladesh <http://www.wikimedia.org.bd/>
> fb.com/Hasive <http://fb.com/NCHasive> | @nhasive
> <http://www.twitter.com/nhasive> | www.nhasive.com

*Adele Vrana*
*Strategic Partnerships - Global Reach*
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*