[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia hubs in Nigeria

Amir E. Aharoni
Do these Hubs have anything to do with writing in languages other than
English?

בתאריך 4 במאי 2017 17:55,‏ "Isaac Olatunde" <[hidden email]> כתב:

Greetings,

What made me happy this week was the establishment of Wikimedia Hub in two
academic institutions in Nigeria, University of Ibadan and Nigeria
Institute of Journalism. I want to thank members of my community (Wikimedia
User Group Nigeria) who made this happened.

Regards,

Isaac

https://blog.wikimedia.org/2017/05/02/digest-women-in-red/

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 11:28 AM, James Heilman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Marielle there are a lot of great medical images in that textbook, Fae is
> there an ability to upload the images to commons by bot?
>
> James
>
> On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 1:06 AM, Marielle Volz <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > What made me happy this week was the discovery of some good scientific
> > imagery that was openly licensed!
> >
> > The USDA has created a bunch of identification sites for species of
> > agricultural interest and released the images into the public domain.
> > I was looking for images of a particular mite and discovered the Bee
> > Mite site has released most of their images and all of their text to
> > the PD [1]. (I have uploaded to commons although done a bit of a hack
> > job on it). There are other sites which would also be a candidate for
> > batch upload, which are listed here: http://idtools.org/identify.php
> > (anyone interested in molluscs?)
> >
> > I have also discovered this Clinical Skills textbook licensed under CC
> > by 4 attribution.[2] I am in the process of adding some high quality
> > medical diagrams to articles on wiki. This same website hosts a bunch
> > of other open text books which may be a similarly good source of
> > content: https://opentextbc.ca/
> >
> > [1] http://idtools.org/id/mites/beemites/
> > [2] https://opentextbc.ca/clinicalskills/
> >
> > On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 7:08 AM, Kalliope Tsouroupidou
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > +1 on this.
> > > News of the newly recognised User Group put a smile on my face :)
> > >
> > > K.

> Group

> for
> experience, I
> > bought
> > to me
> the
> knowledge
> > of
> > has
> > After a
> knowledgeable
> > group
> > ways

> > > --
> > > Kalliope Tsouroupidou
> > > Community Advocate
> > > Wikimedia Foundation

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia hubs in Nigeria

shola ishola
Hi Amir,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, it includes language wikipedia but we need to start gradually with them because of their experience.

Thanks Olaniyan Ishola Olushola|MD, Data Access Systems Ltd|Treasurer,FOSSFA|Skype:ozo734
Tweeter:@oluwanishola73|www.facebook.com/olaniyan.shola|Alt email : [hidden email]|Team Leader Wikimedia Community User Group, Nigeria (WCUGN)|
Phone: 2348154876844;2348167352512

    On Thursday, May 4, 2017 6:23 PM, Amir E. Aharoni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

> > > +1 on this.
> > > News of the newly recognised User Group put a smile on my face :)
> > >
> > > K.

> Group

> for
> experience, I
> > bought
> > to me
> the
> knowledge
> > of
> > has
> > After a
> knowledgeable
> > group
> > ways

> > > --
> > > Kalliope Tsouroupidou
> > > Community Advocate
> > > Wikimedia Foundation

> James Heilman
> MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia hubs in Nigeria

Oloruntoba Oyeyele
Hello Amir,

While the group is really concerned and is actively working towards
improving the local language Wikipedia projects, the primary aim of
creating hubs in higher institutions is to improve the awareness and
readership of Wikipedia (which is greatly lacking at the moment according
to the recent global research survey) and subsequently to encourage active
participation and contribution within Nigeria.

It might also interest you to know that some sections of the Usergroup are
already actively contributing in the local languages. The most recent
example include the contributions being made by the Abuja community with
the Igbo language Wikipedia.

Sam Oyeyele,
Outreach Coordinator, WUGN.