[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

[Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Henrique de Andrade
Friends, it took me a month to join forces and get the courage to write the
story below.

The Wiki Education Brazil user group has had its website [1] shutted down
due to an attack using the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and the
most shocking of this story is that the legal threat was made by a "member"
of the Wikimedia community: Mr. João Alexandre Peschanski, who uses the
username Joalpe.

My unreal saga began on October 7th when I received an email informing me
that the WMF Support and Safety team had received a complaint from Joalpe
that his copyright was being violated by the publication on the I CCBWIKI
(I Brazilian Scientific Congress of Wikipedia) website of a paper which he
is a co-author.

I thought this situation was very strange and I imagined it was a
misunderstanding. I promptly in good faith emailed Joalpe, copying WMF
team, trying to figure out what could have led to this misleading
interpretation that we were committing a copyright infringement. In the
email I reminded him that he knows several members of the Wiki Edu Brazil
group and that he could communicate directly with us if he was bothered
with something and that, if he wanted to, I could remove from the site the
work of which he is a co-author, even though it is on the CC-BY 3.0 license.

To my surprise I never received a reply from Joalpe. Instead, two days
after my contact arrives a message from GoDaddy (company where the Wiki Edu
Brasil’s site is hosted in the United States) informing that we have
received a "complete DMCA complaint", made by the Center for Research,
Innovation and Diffusion in Neuromamatics of the University of São Paulo
(CEPID NeuroMat - USP), signed by João Alexandre Peschanski.

In this complaint he alleges that in the page that I made with the texts
sent to the I CCBWIKI there would be a text of which he is one of the
authors and that he would have revoked our authorization to publish it,
accuses us of not giving the due credits in the work and implies that we
would have copied the content from another conference, prior to CCBWIKI,
where it would have been originally published.

I lack words to describe my revolt at such absurd lies. First: not only was
the authorization not revoked but also a Creative Commons publication could
not have its permission revoked for sharing. Secondly, in fact his name did
not appear on the page listing the papers, because the main author of the
article did not register it correctly in the system, but when clicking on
the file his name was in the credits correctly. Third: the published
content was exactly the one sent by the author David Fernando Levon Alves
on August 29, 2016, and until the current unfortunate legal threat I did
not even know of the existence of Intercom conference, where I now know
that the same paper had been presented in September 9th.

And Joalpe knows all about it! Even on page that he links[2] in his
complaint saying that is proof of him having revoked our authorization for
publication, he clearly says that he disallows the publication of the paper
his is the main author, and that he would talk to the other author to
propose withdrawing the paper in question, and the chair of the event
promptly replied indicating that the dialogue should continue through the
conference management system (it is worth noting that he said he would like
to withdraw his work because he has never seen an academic conference that
does not pay for the transfer and accommodations for all, an argument that
does not make any sense to anyone that minimally knows the reality of
Brazilian academy).

Still bewildered by this nonsense I had to decide what to do. The DMCA
notice gave us two options: either to remove the illegally posted file or
to contest the complaint. Thinking about justice, we would obviously opt
for the second option because we were not doing anything illegal. But
within the cruel logic of the DMCA, we were given an absurd 24-hour
deadline to send a response and our page was already off. It is worth
mentioning that at that moment our host removed all the pages in the domain
wikibrasil.org, and not just the page with the annals of the previous
conference. In this way, projects such as IWSC and WLM that were in key
moments of their execution were also unavailable to users. So, to the very
annoyance we had to remove the file (as if we were guilty!) In order to
request that the sites be republished.

Yet stunned by this, I asked for help from the WMF’s Trust & Safety and the
Legal Team. Both were sympathetic, but the WMF's legal support policies
provide support only for problems regarding content hosted on the
foundation's servers, and since that was not the case, I could not receive
formal legal support. Unsure, fearing the possible legal implications of
the complaint, and without knowing how to defend myself I spoke with groups
of free culture and defense of freedom of expression and concluded that the
best way to defend myself would be to publicize the ongoing persecution.

The days that followed were very difficult for me. Whenever I had to deal
with any wiki subject I was taken by a feeling of revolt and could not do
anything. I spent hours trying to write these words but I just couldn’t do
it. Having to face a legal threat through the DMCA may already be something
to wrap the stomach itself, but having to do it knowing that who denounces
know he is lying, says himself a defender of free culture and is even a
member of the Wikimedia community is unbelievably revolting!

We all know that wikis communities are not a bed of ​​roses and I have
several times left and I stopped editing because of the bullying done by
users like him. But this time I won’t shut up! The destructive behavior of
this person has escalated in a way that is forcing me to spend all my time
studying United States copyright law to defend myself from something I did
not do, and he knows it well. This user used his influence to move the
largest university in Latin America into an international legal threat
against the movement he claims to be a part of. We need to stop it!

For those who do not know this user, it is worth pointing out that he leads
a users group, and receives funding from WMF to conduct outreach
activities. I repeat: This person who uses the DMCA to legally threaten
members of the Wikimedia community is receiving money from our movement to
fund their projects. We can not accept this anymore! Joao Alexandre
Peschanski (a.k.a. Joalpe) should be boycotted in every possible way by the
Wikimedia movement. A copyright troll should never receive grants, be
accepted in our spaces and have the right to speak on behalf of our
community!

In addition to measures within the Wikimedia community I also ask for your
support to help with my defense of Joalpe's attack on the legal world. I
call upon all advocates of free culture, freedom of knowledge and the
Wikimedia movement to endorse the following petition [3], addressed to the
University of São Paulo, demanding that it immediately withdraw the
complaint of violation to the DMCA made against the Wiki Educação Brasil
group, and that it immediately stops pursuing free-culture movements in
Brazil and in the world:
https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-de-usar-a-justiça-americana-para-tirar-site-wiki-brasil-do-ar
<https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-de-usar-a-justi>

I publish this letter still frightened, but already without fear and
confident that united we will overcome one more attack that threatens not
only the Wikimedia movement, but the whole culture of free knowledge.

"Imagine a world in which every person on the planet has free access to the
sum of all human knowledge. That is what we are doing." Jimbo Wales

Sincerely,

Henrique de Andrade (User: HenriqueCrang)

[1] http://wikibrasil.org

[2]
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_Education_Brazil/Events/Congresso_Científico_Brasileiro_da_Wikipédia/2016#Tr.C3.AAs_d.C3.BAvidas
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_Education_Brazil/Events/Congresso_Cient>

[3]
https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-de-usar-a-justiça-americana-para-tirar-site-wiki-brasil-do-ar
<https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-de-usar-a-justi>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Chico Venancio
To all on the list, *this is characterization is filled with obvious lies.*

The DMCA was filed a month ago simply *DID NOT TAKE the site down*.[1]
Henrique quickly took down the article offending copyright and Godaddy
allowed it to continue to be hosted.[2]

Henrique is a paid contractor of the user group Wiki Education Brazil that
has repeatedly harassed several members of our user group (Joalpe and
myself included). And is probably here acting as a Meatpuppet of another
user who is under an Office action interaction ban to interact with either
myself or João.

That he goes on an international platform to call on the Dean of the
university were João works is egregious harassment and WMF should not only
impose severe sanctions, but review both the grant and affiliation
agreements with the "user group" were this comes from.

On the merits, after the event the organizer harassed several of our
members, and to me it is completely understandable that João does not want
his name attached to an event that harassed him and others. There was on
more than one occasion hints of physical violence from a member of Wiki
Education Brazil, and at one point those hints came to level of actually
using the words "beating" in reference to another member of our user group,
Teles, who was also called a famous Wikipedia despot, that he needed
psychiatric attention, and that he needed to find a boyfriend on a public
facebook thread.

The CC-BY 3.0 Henrique alleges to have on the article is clearly invalid
for several reasons, one being he did not have one from the co-authors of
the work. Even if he did, Brazilian law supersedes it and clearly states
that the author has the inalienable moral right to revoke any license and
remove from circulation in any form when the use represents an affront to
his image or reputation.[3] That Henrique confesses that he, and the user
banned from interacting with myself or Joalpe, knew that license was not
given by João and that an explicit revocation was placed onwiki, only makes
the copyright violation willful and demonstrates that no assumption of good
faith can be reasonably made. This was an explicit provocation from the
"User Group" Wiki Education Brazil to João.

Best to all on the Wikimedia Movement,

Hoping for a movement with less tolerance for harassment,

Chico Venancio (User:Chicocvenancio)

> [...]
>
> "Imagine a world in which every person on the planet has free access to the
> sum of all human knowledge. That is what we are doing." Jimbo Wales
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Henrique de Andrade (User: HenriqueCrang)
>
> [1] http://wikibrasil.org
>
> [2]
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_Education_
> Brazil/Events/Congresso_Científico_Brasileiro_da_
> Wikipédia/2016#Tr.C3.AAs_d.C3.BAvidas
> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_Education_
> Brazil/Events/Congresso_Cient>
>
> [3]
> https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-de-usar-a-
> justiça-americana-para-tirar-site-wiki-brasil-do-ar
> <https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-de-usar-a-justi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Ended up with out the links, sorry:
[1]http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/wikibrasil.org.html
[2]https://www.whois.com/whois/107.180.2.118
[3]http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/leis/L9610.htm#art24

> [...]

>> the
>> sum of all human knowledge. That is what we are doing." Jimbo Wales
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Henrique de Andrade (User: HenriqueCrang)
>>
>> [1] http://wikibrasil.org
>>
>> [2]
>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_Education_Brazil/
>> Events/Congresso_Científico_Brasileiro_da_Wikipédia/2016#
>> Tr.C3.AAs_d.C3.BAvidas
>> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_Education_Brazil/
>> Events/Congresso_Cient>
>>
>> [3]
>> https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-
>> de-usar-a-justiça-americana-para-tirar-site-wiki-brasil-do-ar
>> <https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-
>> de-usar-a-justi>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Mathieu Stumpf Guntz
Thank Chico and Henrique for your reports and related links.

I encourage both of you to document further this topic. But as the
mailing list format might quickly turn it into a flameware, to avoid
list moderators some disagreeable work, you could preferably find more
suited place to develop your points. Punctual feedback on the list to
signal creation or update of additional external resources is welcome,
as far as I'm concerned.

You might, inter alia, use wikimedia-timeline[1] to generate an overview
of main statements you are claiming, each linked to related resources
which let reader deepen their inquiry on the topic if they have interest
and resources to do so.

If you are interested to turn that in a research project as objective as
you might be able to create, I also encourage you to open a research
project on a Wikiversity instance, after a check of how such a project
might be conducted on the selected instance. You might also like to
create and conduct some interviews and publish them on Wikinews.

I hope that the difficult situation you are passing through will end up
in the most contributive, positive and placid possible resolution.

Kind regards,
mathieu

[1] https://github.com/molly/wikimedia-timeline

Le 06/11/2017 à 11:59, Chico Venancio a écrit :

> [...]
>>> the
>>> sum of all human knowledge. That is what we are doing." Jimbo Wales
>>>
>>> Sincerely,
>>>
>>> Henrique de Andrade (User: HenriqueCrang)
>>>
>>> [1] http://wikibrasil.org
>>>
>>> [2]
>>> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_Education_Brazil/
>>> Events/Congresso_Científico_Brasileiro_da_Wikipédia/2016#
>>> Tr.C3.AAs_d.C3.BAvidas
>>> <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki_Education_Brazil/
>>> Events/Congresso_Cient>
>>>
>>> [3]
>>> https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-
>>> de-usar-a-justiça-americana-para-tirar-site-wiki-brasil-do-ar
>>> <https://www.change.org/p/reitor-da-usp-pare-imediatamente-
>>> de-usar-a-justi>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Vi to
This is a very complex long-term "war" which, in my experience, never ends
in a "reconciliation".

Also, honestly, I don't think how can this comply with wikiversity mission.

Vito

Mail
priva di virus. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>> that the author has the inalienable moral right to revoke any license and
>>> remove from circulation in any form when the use represents an affront to
>>> his image or reputation.[3] That Henrique confesses that he, and the user
>>> banned from interacting with myself or Joalpe, knew that license was not
>>> given by João and that an explicit revocation was placed onwiki, only
>>> makes
>>> the copyright violation willful and demonstrates that no assumption of
>>> good
>>> faith can be reasonably made. This was an explicit provocation from the
>>> "User Group" Wiki Education Brazil to João.
>>>
>>> Best to all on the Wikimedia Movement,
>>>
>>> Hoping for a movement with less tolerance for harassment,
>>>
>>> Chico Venancio (User:Chicocvenancio)

>>> [hidden email]

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Asaf Bartov
A message from your list moderators:

This thread does not belong on this list.

It is spillover of a long and bitter conflict in the Portuguese community,
and this list's membership is not well situated to contribute to a solution
through discussion on this list.  Those particularly interested and able
can participate in relevant threads on the Portuguese Wikipedia.

However, moving the mutual recriminations onto this list is escalation that
can only upset people and exacerbate the conflict, and is not an effective
way to seek help.

As was mentioned, the matter involves allegations of harassment --
investigated by the Support and Safety team in the Community Engagement
department at WMF -- as well as legal action.  Both avenues would not
benefit from partial and probably-biased context shared on this list.

The parties in conflict should continue to seek a modus vivendi on the wiki
they share, on-wiki, as well as through the channels they are already
pursuing.  Smearing the other side on this list won't accomplish anything.

Accordingly, *please stop posting on this thread*.  We have also placed the
Brazilians involved in this conflict on temporary moderation, to prevent
further escalation.

(putting on my WMF hat for a moment -- As a further point of context, both
sides have at one point requested WMF intervention in Brazil.  WMF has not
yet announced whether and how it would intervene, though several
alternatives have been discussed. Stay tuned.)

     A.

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 5:47 PM Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> we
> CCBWIKI,

> only
> name
> did
> know

> opt
> key

> and
> policies
> of
> that
> persecution.

> couldn’t

> by
> behavior

> threaten
> movement
> by

> world. I
> Brasil
> in

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

David Goodman-2
The simple reply that a CC content is irrevocable shouldhave been enough to
deal with this (Unless GoDaddy got confused,)

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> overview
> > > of main statements you are claiming, each linked to related resources
> > which
> > > let reader deepen their inquiry on the topic if they have interest and
> > > resources to do so.
> > >
> > > If you are interested to turn that in a research project as objective
> as
> > > you might be able to create, I also encourage you to open a research
> > > project on a Wikiversity instance, after a check of how such a project
> > > might be conducted on the selected instance. You might also like to
> > create
> > > and conduct some interviews and publish them on Wikinews.
> > >
> > > I hope that the difficult situation you are passing through will end up
> > in
> > > the most contributive, positive and placid possible resolution.

David Goodman

DGG at the enWP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:DGG

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Ανώνυμος Βικιπαιδιστής
I' m sorry to hear that Portuguese Wikipedia has similar problems as
Greek Wikipedia. Being the victim of harassment from administrators of
Greek Wikipedia (they post my real sex, name and email and archived my
personal data for future use to threaten me and the wikipedians who help
me, telling me that my harassment won t stop just in wikipedia but and
in other social media as the had done in the past) which led me to stop
editing even tho I'm a 100wikidayer and 100wikicommonsdayer and
participated in an international conference here in Greece presenting
the work that the community have done in Wikipedia. I think that letting
fellow wikipedians know about this kind of problems is crucial for the
improvement of community health because it can start some actions to
resolve such cyber crimes. From what I understand Wikimedia foundation
is not really interested of helping women who are being harassed as long
as the bullying is not reported to the police and the bullies are useful
in wikipedia projects as for example hosting a cee meeting or wikimania
in Greece. They are even rewarded with trips and let them participate in
projects such as women in Red, which is actually really funny if you
think about it. The bullies who sent women away from wikipedia are
getting grands for contacting workshops to find women who would like to
participate in wikipedia. :P They present themselves as educators in
Greece but really who would you like persons like that teaching their kids?
There is always a standard answer from wmf when someone complains of
being harassed: they say that this person is bitterful and not talking
with courtesy. In my case SUSA even implied that me (the victim) should
contacted my bullies and ask them politely to stop harassing me and did
absolutely nothing to help me. You see I m only a volunteer and not a
professional wikimedian so I m not really important to them.
I really hope the issues in Portuguese Wikipedia will resolve quickly
because I know how stressful and sad these situations can be not only
for the people involved but for all the community.

Ανώνυμος Βικιπαιδιστής

On 06/11/2017 11:55 μμ, Asaf Bartov wrote:

> [...]
>> we
>> CCBWIKI,

>> only
>> name
>> did
>> know

>> opt
>> key

>> and
>> policies
>> of
>> that
>> persecution.
>> couldn’t

>> by
>> behavior

>> threaten
>> movement
>> by

>> world. I
>> Brasil
>> in

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Isaac Olatunde
Hi Βικιπαιδιστής,

I am sorry to learn that you felt harassed by some users at Greek
Wikipedia. However, you wrote "*From what I understand Wikimedia foundation
is not really interested of helping women who are being harassed*". So they
are interested in helping men who are being harassed? I don't know the
logic behind that comment but it sounds like something that does not exist
anywhere. Allegations of harassment requires strong evidences and in cases
where insufficient evidences were provided, I doubt the WMF will take any
action against the alleged person. This fundamentally have nothing to do
with gender. I'll encourage you to forward any complaints and evidence of
harassment to WMF SuSa. Mailing lists like this is often not the best place
for discussing issues like this. You may want to follow Asaf's advise
above.

Regards,

Isaac

On Nov 13, 2017 1:29 PM, "Ανώνυμος Βικιπαιδιστής" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> the

>>> provide support only for problems regarding content hosted on the

>>> the complaint, and without knowing how to defend myself I spoke with

>>> the

>>> The days that followed were very difficult for me. Whenever I had to

>>> do

>>> member of the Wikimedia community is unbelievably revolting!

>>> users like him. But this time I won’t shut up! The destructive

>>> of

>>> members of the Wikimedia community is receiving money from our

>>> the

>>> call upon all advocates of free culture, freedom of knowledge and the

>>> group, and that it immediately stops pursuing free-culture movements

>>> Brazil and in the world:

>>> the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Milos Rancic-2
On the other hand, I would like see WMF starts fixing harm done by its
cultural neocolonial actions in Brazil and India.

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:55 PM, Asaf Bartov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > I'm concerned.
>> >
>> > You might, inter alia, use wikimedia-timeline[1] to generate an overview
>> > of main statements you are claiming, each linked to related resources
>> which
>> > let reader deepen their inquiry on the topic if they have interest and
>> > resources to do so.
>> >
>> > If you are interested to turn that in a research project as objective as
>> > you might be able to create, I also encourage you to open a research
>> > project on a Wikiversity instance, after a check of how such a project
>> > might be conducted on the selected instance. You might also like to
>> create
>> > and conduct some interviews and publish them on Wikinews.
>> >
>> > I hope that the difficult situation you are passing through will end up
>> in
>> > the most contributive, positive and placid possible resolution.

Milos

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikimedia movement under DMCA attack!

Gerard Meijssen-3
Huh?
Thanks,
       GerardM

Op wo 15 nov. 2017 om 14:24 schreef Milos Rancic <[hidden email]>