[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

[Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

Fæ
Hi Darcy,

I am concerned at what appears to be deliberate suppression of
questions raising governance related issues from the wikimedia UK
email list. The email below is an example. The list was always
intended to be independent of the UK chapter, though one of the
moderators is one of your employees.

Could you please confirm that neither you, nor your employees, are
manipulating this public list to your political advantage.

Thanks,
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

Austin Hair
Fae,

Please do not drag this list into whatever trouble you've found
yourself in on another. Wikimedia-l is neither a court of appeals for
Wikimedia-related lists nor a bullhorn for your personal grievances.

Austin

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Darcy,
>
> I am concerned at what appears to be deliberate suppression of
> questions raising governance related issues from the wikimedia UK
> email list. The email below is an example. The list was always
> intended to be independent of the UK chapter, though one of the
> moderators is one of your employees.
>
> Could you please confirm that neither you, nor your employees, are
> manipulating this public list to your political advantage.
>
> Thanks,
> Fae

> It would be nice to hear from the board how this was discussed before
> offering the interim position. After all, in the several interviews I
> took part in for WMUK staff, pretty much the first basic question was
> along the lines of 'have you ever edited Wikipedia?' as a way of
> assessing what the candidate knows about Wikimedia; so I can not
> believe this would come as a surprise considering how sensitive the
> board is on COI and its perception by our community.
>
> Fae
>

> On 18 November 2014 19:13, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 18 November 2014 18:55, geni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> [[user:Dcfmyers]] has no other edits.
>>>

>> whoops missed a couple of deleted ones 2 edits to [[George More O'Ferrall]]. A direct copy and paste of
>>
>> http://www.screenonline.org.uk/people/id/527160/
>>
>> In fairness copyright is a pretty blameless error for new editors
>>

>> --
>> geni

> Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

MZMcBride-2
Fæ wrote:
>Could you please confirm that neither you, nor your employees, are
>manipulating this public list to your political advantage.

This is unreasonable. We don't require pledges of fealty on-demand from
list moderators.

Austin Hair wrote:
>Please do not drag this list into whatever trouble you've found
>yourself in on another. Wikimedia-l is neither a court of appeals for
>Wikimedia-related lists nor a bullhorn for your personal grievances.

Well said.

MZMcBride

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

Fæ
I was rather puzzled by this email, then realized I had posted to
Wikimedia-l rather than Wikimediauk-l as was my intention. Apologies
for that slip.

Thanks,
Fae

On 23 November 2014 at 16:37, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fae,
>
> Please do not drag this list into whatever trouble you've found
> yourself in on another. Wikimedia-l is neither a court of appeals for
> Wikimedia-related lists nor a bullhorn for your personal grievances.
>
> Austin
>

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Darcy,
>>
>> I am concerned at what appears to be deliberate suppression of
>> questions raising governance related issues from the wikimedia UK
>> email list. The email below is an example. The list was always
>> intended to be independent of the UK chapter, though one of the
>> moderators is one of your employees.
>>
>> Could you please confirm that neither you, nor your employees, are
>> manipulating this public list to your political advantage.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fae

>> It would be nice to hear from the board how this was discussed before
>> offering the interim position. After all, in the several interviews I
>> took part in for WMUK staff, pretty much the first basic question was
>> along the lines of 'have you ever edited Wikipedia?' as a way of
>> assessing what the candidate knows about Wikimedia; so I can not
>> believe this would come as a surprise considering how sensitive the
>> board is on COI and its perception by our community.
>>
>> Fae

>>> whoops missed a couple of deleted ones 2 edits to [[George More O'Ferrall]]. A direct copy and paste of
>>>
>>> http://www.screenonline.org.uk/people/id/527160/
>>>
>>> In fairness copyright is a pretty blameless error for new editors
>>>

>>> --
>>> geni

>> --
>> [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
>>

>> --
>> [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
>> Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

Austin Hair
Fair enough regarding the cross-posting. As for Wikimediauk-l, I'll
leave that issue there.

Austin

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 7:54 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was rather puzzled by this email, then realized I had posted to
> Wikimedia-l rather than Wikimediauk-l as was my intention. Apologies
> for that slip.
>
> Thanks,
> Fae
>
> On 23 November 2014 at 16:37, Austin Hair <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Fae,
>>
>> Please do not drag this list into whatever trouble you've found
>> yourself in on another. Wikimedia-l is neither a court of appeals for
>> Wikimedia-related lists nor a bullhorn for your personal grievances.
>>
>> Austin
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Darcy,
>>>
>>> I am concerned at what appears to be deliberate suppression of
>>> questions raising governance related issues from the wikimedia UK
>>> email list. The email below is an example. The list was always
>>> intended to be independent of the UK chapter, though one of the
>>> moderators is one of your employees.
>>>
>>> Could you please confirm that neither you, nor your employees, are
>>> manipulating this public list to your political advantage.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Fae

>>> It would be nice to hear from the board how this was discussed before
>>> offering the interim position. After all, in the several interviews I
>>> took part in for WMUK staff, pretty much the first basic question was
>>> along the lines of 'have you ever edited Wikipedia?' as a way of
>>> assessing what the candidate knows about Wikimedia; so I can not
>>> believe this would come as a surprise considering how sensitive the
>>> board is on COI and its perception by our community.
>>>
>>> Fae

>>> --
>>> [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
>>>

>>> --
>>> [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
>>> Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

> Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

svetlana
I disagree, the question raised is relevant to the Wikimedia movement as a whole.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, at 02:37, Austin Hair wrote:

> Fae,
>
> Please do not drag this list into whatever trouble you've found
> yourself in on another. Wikimedia-l is neither a court of appeals for
> Wikimedia-related lists nor a bullhorn for your personal grievances.
>
> Austin
>

> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Darcy,
> >
> > I am concerned at what appears to be deliberate suppression of
> > questions raising governance related issues from the wikimedia UK
> > email list. The email below is an example. The list was always
> > intended to be independent of the UK chapter, though one of the
> > moderators is one of your employees.
> >
> > Could you please confirm that neither you, nor your employees, are
> > manipulating this public list to your political advantage.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Fae

> > It would be nice to hear from the board how this was discussed before
> > offering the interim position. After all, in the several interviews I
> > took part in for WMUK staff, pretty much the first basic question was
> > along the lines of 'have you ever edited Wikipedia?' as a way of
> > assessing what the candidate knows about Wikimedia; so I can not
> > believe this would come as a surprise considering how sensitive the
> > board is on COI and its perception by our community.
> >
> > Fae

> >> whoops missed a couple of deleted ones 2 edits to [[George More O'Ferrall]]. A direct copy and paste of
> >>
> >> http://www.screenonline.org.uk/people/id/527160/
> >>
> >> In fairness copyright is a pretty blameless error for new editors
> >>

> >> --
> >> geni

> > [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
> >

> > --
> > [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
> > Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

svetlana
To clarify: I would like to see a more strong mechanism for review of Chapters work. This includes thorough feedback channels about how Chapters communicate, how they spend their funding. Including means to dissolve a Chapter if a large chunk of people believes it is not working well (such as, providing inadequate support to the Wikimedia movement).

This feedback channel is probably not here, but I feel this list could be an appropriate place to discuss how the above could be implemented.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, at 08:28, svetlana wrote:

> I disagree, the question raised is relevant to the Wikimedia movement as a whole.
>
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, at 02:37, Austin Hair wrote:
> > Fae,
> >
> > Please do not drag this list into whatever trouble you've found
> > yourself in on another. Wikimedia-l is neither a court of appeals for
> > Wikimedia-related lists nor a bullhorn for your personal grievances.
> >
> > Austin
> >

> > On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi Darcy,
> > >
> > > I am concerned at what appears to be deliberate suppression of
> > > questions raising governance related issues from the wikimedia UK
> > > email list. The email below is an example. The list was always
> > > intended to be independent of the UK chapter, though one of the
> > > moderators is one of your employees.
> > >
> > > Could you please confirm that neither you, nor your employees, are
> > > manipulating this public list to your political advantage.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Fae

> > > It would be nice to hear from the board how this was discussed before
> > > offering the interim position. After all, in the several interviews I
> > > took part in for WMUK staff, pretty much the first basic question was
> > > along the lines of 'have you ever edited Wikipedia?' as a way of
> > > assessing what the candidate knows about Wikimedia; so I can not
> > > believe this would come as a surprise considering how sensitive the
> > > board is on COI and its perception by our community.
> > >
> > > Fae

> > > --
> > > [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
> > >

> > > --
> > > [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
> > > Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

Wikimedia UK doesn't run wikimediauk-l as such. (This is a point many
list members have made very strongly over the years.) It's a list for
UK-related Wikimedia-related things, although that definitely includes
WMUK.

On 23 November 2014 at 21:28, svetlana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I disagree, the question raised is relevant to the Wikimedia movement as a whole.
>
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, at 02:37, Austin Hair wrote:
>> Fae,
>>
>> Please do not drag this list into whatever trouble you've found
>> yourself in on another. Wikimedia-l is neither a court of appeals for
>> Wikimedia-related lists nor a bullhorn for your personal grievances.
>>
>> Austin
>>

>> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Darcy,
>> >
>> > I am concerned at what appears to be deliberate suppression of
>> > questions raising governance related issues from the wikimedia UK
>> > email list. The email below is an example. The list was always
>> > intended to be independent of the UK chapter, though one of the
>> > moderators is one of your employees.
>> >
>> > Could you please confirm that neither you, nor your employees, are
>> > manipulating this public list to your political advantage.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Fae

>> > It would be nice to hear from the board how this was discussed before
>> > offering the interim position. After all, in the several interviews I
>> > took part in for WMUK staff, pretty much the first basic question was
>> > along the lines of 'have you ever edited Wikipedia?' as a way of
>> > assessing what the candidate knows about Wikimedia; so I can not
>> > believe this would come as a surprise considering how sensitive the
>> > board is on COI and its perception by our community.
>> >
>> > Fae

>> > --
>> > [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
>> >

>> > --
>> > [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
>> > Personal and confidential, please do not circulate or re-quote.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
As there is this constant call for more paper work for chapters, it has to
be understood that this is exactly what kills the productivity of chapters.
There are always more people with their opinion why this that or the other
is amiss. They all have their arguments why they think they are right and
consequently contribute to the noise level that is already way too high.

If anything we should look for ways of appreciating the effect of chapters
that does not make them beholden to every John Dick AND Harry and at the
same time gives them equal space to move as effectively as the Wikimedia
Foundation itself.
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 23 November 2014 at 23:02, svetlana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To clarify: I would like to see a more strong mechanism for review of
> Chapters work. This includes thorough feedback channels about how Chapters
> communicate, how they spend their funding. Including means to dissolve a
> Chapter if a large chunk of people believes it is not working well (such
> as, providing inadequate support to the Wikimedia movement).
>
> This feedback channel is probably not here, but I feel this list could be
> an appropriate place to discuss how the above could be implemented.
>
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, at 08:28, svetlana wrote:
> > I disagree, the question raised is relevant to the Wikimedia movement as
> a whole.
> >
> > On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, at 02:37, Austin Hair wrote:
> > > Fae,
> > >
> > > Please do not drag this list into whatever trouble you've found
> > > yourself in on another. Wikimedia-l is neither a court of appeals for
> > > Wikimedia-related lists nor a bullhorn for your personal grievances.
> > >
> > > Austin

> O'Ferrall]]. A direct copy and paste of

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

svetlana
I maintain that I would love to have a formal universal feedback channel for Chapters work. It has to be drama-free, but transparent, and not moderated.

Feedback is occasionally not negative, and may contain thorough project ideas.

--
svetlana

Think I can run an instance of https://github.com/mozilla/fjord on Labs and have various Wikimedia projects (Wikis and Chapters) point to it in their sidebar. A universal "Leave Feedback" link.

It would take people to a page similar to https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback, with an appropriate disclaimer: "If you need help or have a problem with Firefox, please visit Firefox Support." We could be able to customize it for each project to fit our needs. (Include aggressive pointers to OTRS queues and village pumps for each project, as appropriate).

Thoughts?

--
svetlana

On Tue, 25 Nov 2014, at 08:19, svetlana wrote:

> I maintain that I would love to have a formal universal feedback channel for Chapters work. It has to be drama-free, but transparent, and not moderated.
>
> Feedback is occasionally not negative, and may contain thorough project ideas.
>
> --
> svetlana
>
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, at 18:03, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > As there is this constant call for more paper work for chapters, it has to
> > be understood that this is exactly what kills the productivity of chapters.
> > There are always more people with their opinion why this that or the other
> > is amiss. They all have their arguments why they think they are right and
> > consequently contribute to the noise level that is already way too high.
> >
> > If anything we should look for ways of appreciating the effect of chapters
> > that does not make them beholden to every John Dick AND Harry and at the
> > same time gives them equal space to move as effectively as the Wikimedia
> > Foundation itself.
> > Thanks,
> >       GerardM
> >
> > On 23 November 2014 at 23:02, svetlana <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > To clarify: I would like to see a more strong mechanism for review of
> > > Chapters work. This includes thorough feedback channels about how Chapters
> > > communicate, how they spend their funding. Including means to dissolve a
> > > Chapter if a large chunk of people believes it is not working well (such
> > > as, providing inadequate support to the Wikimedia movement).
> > >
> > > This feedback channel is probably not here, but I feel this list could be
> > > an appropriate place to discuss how the above could be implemented.

> > > a whole.

> > > O'Ferrall]]. A direct copy and paste of

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

MF-Warburg-2
Looks like Extension:MoodBar aka FeedbackDashboard, which was enabled on
enwiki for some time.
Am 24.11.2014 22:26 schrieb "svetlana" <[hidden email]>:

> Think I can run an instance of https://github.com/mozilla/fjord on Labs
> and have various Wikimedia projects (Wikis and Chapters) point to it in
> their sidebar. A universal "Leave Feedback" link.
>
> It would take people to a page similar to
> https://input.mozilla.org/en-US/feedback, with an appropriate disclaimer:
> "If you need help or have a problem with Firefox, please visit Firefox
> Support." We could be able to customize it for each project to fit our
> needs. (Include aggressive pointers to OTRS queues and village pumps for
> each project, as appropriate).
>
> Thoughts?
>
> --
> svetlana
>

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014, at 08:19, svetlana wrote:
> > I maintain that I would love to have a formal universal feedback channel
> for Chapters work. It has to be drama-free, but transparent, and not
> moderated.
> >
> > Feedback is occasionally not negative, and may contain thorough project
> ideas.
> >
> > --
> > svetlana
> >
> > On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, at 18:03, Gerard Meijssen wrote:
> > > Hoi,
> > > As there is this constant call for more paper work for chapters, it
> has to
> > > be understood that this is exactly what kills the productivity of
> chapters.
> > > There are always more people with their opinion why this that or the
> other
> > > is amiss. They all have their arguments why they think they are right
> and
> > > consequently contribute to the noise level that is already way too
> high.
> > >
> > > If anything we should look for ways of appreciating the effect of
> chapters
> > > that does not make them beholden to every John Dick AND Harry and at
> the
> > > same time gives them equal space to move as effectively as the
> Wikimedia
> > > Foundation itself.
> > > Thanks,
> > >       GerardM

> Chapters
> dissolve a
> (such

> could be

> movement as

> appeals for
> grievances.

> UK

> are

> [hidden email]>

> before
> interviews I
> question was
> of
> not
> sensitive the

> More

> editors

Re: [Wikimedia-l] [Wikimediauk-l] Using list moderation as censorship

Philippe Beaudette-3
It should.  As I recall, the idea came from their work. :-)   (Don't quote
me, but pretty sure I'm right.)

*Philippe Beaudette * \\  Director, Community Advocacy \\ Wikimedia
Foundation, Inc.
T: 1-415-839-6885 x6643 |  [hidden email]  |  :  @Philippewiki
<https://twitter.com/Philippewiki>