[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Lucas Teles-2
Hi, everyone.

It is being recently reported on Portuguese Wikipedia and Commons (at
least) the increasing ammount of improper editing coming from IP addresses
located in Angola. Some users believe that this may be related with
Wikipedia Zero and a partnership between WMF and a cellphone company [1]
that allows reading and editing at free cost.

One of the first reactions to that is a large range block that was just set
on Commons in order to prevent these edits [2], as they are being done in a
way that volunteers can't handle.

That seems to be some kind of "second wave" as the first that hit Commons
[3] had been already reported months ago [4] and seemed to be controled or
just paused for a while. On Portuguese Wikipedia, one thing that seemss to
be clear is that edits are done in good faith. However, they end by being
undone as they are incorrect for some reason, whether being pages of files
about themselves or just test edits. One of the users identified actually
confirm [5] that he is editing through Wikipedia Zero.

Concerning that more partnerships may occur in future, I think it is time
for us to start talking about ways of dealing with that, other than
blocking. Sadly, I don't have an answer to that problem, but I tend to
believe that some way of mass reaching these potential users should be made
out.

The current process is that editors will be the ones to notice that (as I
am not aware of any kind of follow up by WMF on that) and they will try to
solve their way, which may cause too many collateral damage.

I wonder if there is any kind of way to diminish the problem, by using any
off-wiki strategy.

Kind regards.

Teles

[1] -
http://www.telecompaper.com/news/movicel-offers-free-access-to-wikipedia--1116012
[2] -
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Steinsplitter&oldid=190598884#Unblock
[3] - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Teles/Angola_Facebook_Case
[4] -
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Forum&oldid=12835750#Wikipedia_Zero_being_used_to_violate_copyright
[5] -
https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:Darwinius&diff=prev&oldid=45095087

*Lucas Teles*

*+55 (71) 98290 7553Steward at Wikimedia Foundation. Administrator *
*at Portuguese Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.*- wikipedista.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Gnangarra
some of the issue stems form the copyright laws of Angola, which are really
interesting to read -- read them in english --
https://www.copyright-watch.org/files/Angola.pdf  of course I dont expect
people to know their copyright laws in detail or to have read them but they
do know the principles of it and what they can do

some points of interest

   - Non protected works Article  9 section c -- news of the day published
   by the press or broadcast
   - Chapter IV Uses lawful without Authorisation article 29 section b -
   reproduction by photographic process or process analogous to photographic
   process by <snip> documentation centres <snip> or teaching organisations
   ..... refers to minimum amount of copies necessary, but wither way
   Wikipedia would fall into either of these definitions as permitted to
   reproduce
   - article 30 - is the key here it enables translation into Portuguese
   after 3 years without any real restrictions - hence why the pt.wikis are
   having so much of an issue and by extension commons where they encourage
   uploading of media

Wikipedia zero implementation needs to also consider the implication of
local laws especially copyright on the projects where the laws are this
outdated and effectively enable copyright issues then WP Zero could provide
a read only option for IP's or a no upload option,  with a rights request
process on commons

On 19 March 2016 at 00:45, Lucas Teles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, everyone.
>
> It is being recently reported on Portuguese Wikipedia and Commons (at
> least) the increasing ammount of improper editing coming from IP addresses
> located in Angola. Some users believe that this may be related with
> Wikipedia Zero and a partnership between WMF and a cellphone company [1]
> that allows reading and editing at free cost.
>
> One of the first reactions to that is a large range block that was just set
> on Commons in order to prevent these edits [2], as they are being done in a
> way that volunteers can't handle.
>
> That seems to be some kind of "second wave" as the first that hit Commons
> [3] had been already reported months ago [4] and seemed to be controled or
> just paused for a while. On Portuguese Wikipedia, one thing that seemss to
> be clear is that edits are done in good faith. However, they end by being
> undone as they are incorrect for some reason, whether being pages of files
> about themselves or just test edits. One of the users identified actually
> confirm [5] that he is editing through Wikipedia Zero.
>
> Concerning that more partnerships may occur in future, I think it is time
> for us to start talking about ways of dealing with that, other than
> blocking. Sadly, I don't have an answer to that problem, but I tend to
> believe that some way of mass reaching these potential users should be made
> out.
>
> The current process is that editors will be the ones to notice that (as I
> am not aware of any kind of follow up by WMF on that) and they will try to
> solve their way, which may cause too many collateral damage.
>
> I wonder if there is any kind of way to diminish the problem, by using any
> off-wiki strategy.
>
> Kind regards.
>
> Teles
>
> [1] -
>
> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/movicel-offers-free-access-to-wikipedia--1116012
> [2] -
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Steinsplitter&oldid=190598884#Unblock
> [3] - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Teles/Angola_Facebook_Case
> [4] -
>
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Forum&oldid=12835750#Wikipedia_Zero_being_used_to_violate_copyright
> [5] -
>
> https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:Darwinius&diff=prev&oldid=45095087
>

> *Lucas Teles*
>
> *+55 (71) 98290 7553Steward at Wikimedia Foundation. Administrator *
> *at Portuguese Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.*- wikipedista.com

GN.
President Wikimedia Australia

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Adele Vrana
Hi Teles,

As the head of the Wikipedia Zero program, I would like to respond and
provide more context to the important challenges you are bringing up.

Last year, the Foundation increased our security and privacy by requiring
HTTPS to access all Wikimedia projects. That change has greatly impacted
the Wikipedia Zero program, and most importantly has also allowed editing
(and not only reading) and extended the scope of zero-rated access from
just Wikipedia to all Wikimedia projects. However, our banners do not
reflect this additional zero-rating, but still only appear on Wikipedia.

In your message you highlight two main concerns. One would be the upload of
copyrighted materials and overall abuse on Commons. The other concern
regards how the editing community should deal with an influx of new good
faith edits and potential editors in Portuguese, with particular challenge
of the extra work this causes for existing community members.

Regarding Commons, we have experienced abuse from a few subscribers of a
Zero partner in Angola. Typically what happens is that the pirates upload
copyrighted movies to Commons either directly or in a concealed form (like
huge/split PDFs or JPEGs). Then they promote the links on Facebook or a
similar public forum for others to download. When partners become aware of
this they have flagged it to us and we've, in turn, flagged it to Community
Engagement who has worked with editors to try and make sure it's removed.

We agree that this is not an ideal way to handle this problem, and we would
prefer to catch it much earlier or simply prevent it outright (without
significant limits being placed on good faith editors). Last fall, we had
internal discussions on finding technical solutions for this problem.
However, we discovered that we could not widely identify traffic from zero
rated partners, and that ability was a prerequisite to address this issue.
As of December 2015, the Ops team was able to complete that work.

With this task completed, our team, in coordination with community
engagement and engineering is working on finding the best approach to
resolve this issue. Do you have suggestions or guidance? We are eager to
examine multiple approaches and this is a great time to open the
discussion. As we evaluate different approaches, we can also update you and
the list here.

On the editing topic, the primary goal of Wikipedia Zero is to increase
readership. This is measured in potential reach (through subscriber counts)
and pageviews within regions with Wikipedia Zero partnerships.  There’s not
enough information to show that Zero can also increase editorship, but it
is something we believe is furthered by expanding reading access. So if
that is what is happening in Angola, we see that is a great thing.

However, we understand that it’s challenging for our existing editing
community to handle a sudden influx of new editors. This seems to be a
crucial and important conversation for the movement at large to have. I
hope we can figure out a way to turn this moment in Angola into an
opportunity to learn how to deal with new readers and editors.

Best regards,
Adele

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 4:50 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Kind regards.
> >
> > Teles
> >
> > [1] -
> >

> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/movicel-offers-free-access-to-wikipedia--1116012
> > [2] -
> >

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Steinsplitter&oldid=190598884#Unblock
> > [3] - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Teles/Angola_Facebook_Case
> > [4] -
> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Forum&oldid=12835750#Wikipedia_Zero_being_used_to_violate_copyright
> > [5] -
> >

> https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:Darwinius&diff=prev&oldid=45095087
> >

> > *Lucas Teles*
> >
> > *+55 (71) 98290 7553Steward at Wikimedia Foundation. Administrator *
> > *at Portuguese Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.*- wikipedista.com

*Strategic Partnerships*
Wikimedia Foundation
+1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773

sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
<https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Benjamin Lees
On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  of course I dont expect
> people to know their copyright laws in detail or to have read them but they
> do know the principles of it and what they can do
Are you sure?  In the US, at least, industry groups go to a lot of
trouble to "remind" people of the things they're not supposed to do.
:)

But I'm not sure the provisions you point to are actually so unusual.

>    - Non protected works Article  9 section c -- news of the day published
>    by the press or broadcast
This is in the Berne Convention (article 2, section 8).

>    - Chapter IV Uses lawful without Authorisation article 29 section b -
>    reproduction by photographic process or process analogous to photographic
>    process by <snip> documentation centres <snip> or teaching organisations
>    ..... refers to minimum amount of copies necessary, but wither way
>    Wikipedia would fall into either of these definitions as permitted to
>    reproduce
I don't know if Wikipedia would actually be covered by this: those
terms are probably pretty narrow (and this is just a translation of
the law, anyway).  In any event, it's pretty standard for copyright
laws to make allowances for limited educational use.

>    - article 30 - is the key here it enables translation into Portuguese
>    after 3 years without any real restrictions - hence why the pt.wikis are
>    having so much of an issue and by extension commons where they encourage
>    uploading of media
This appears to implement article 2 of the Berne Convention's "special
provisions regarding developing countries" (Angola isn't a signatory,
but it has signed the TRIPS Agreement, which incorporates those
provisions).  It actually looks quite restrictive (the license has to
be granted by the "State Secretariat for Culture", you have to try to
get permission first, there are limitations on export, and you still
have to pay the copyright holder).

I don't think problematic uploads from mobile are a new or regional
phenomenon—I seem to recall an earlier "selfiepocalypse".

On 19 March 2016 at 19:30, Benjamin Lees <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 7:50 PM, Gnangarra <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >  of course I dont expect
> > people to know their copyright laws in detail or to have read them but
> they
> > do know the principles of it and what they can do
> Are you sure?  In the US, at least, industry groups go to a lot of
> trouble to "remind" people of the things they're not supposed to do.
> :)

​outside the US things like copyright isnt  respected, enforced or even
part of a person education especially in third world countries​, there is
no specific mention of digital work provisions in the Angola law

> But I'm not sure the provisions you point to are actually so unusual.
>
> >    - Non protected works Article  9 section c -- news of the day
> published
> >    by the press or broadcast
> This is in the Berne Convention (article 2, section 8).

​international conventions and agreements dont reach the end users
knowledge even in first world countries I sure very few people in the US
would know the changes being introduced in the TPP
​, I'd guess that alot of the people on this list are living in countries
that didnt even exist when the Berne Convention was signed. We also have
the URAA which even Commons has struggled with swings in interpretation
over the last few years

> >    - Chapter IV Uses lawful without Authorisation article 29 section b -
> >    reproduction by photographic process or process analogous to
> photographic
> >    process by <snip> documentation centres <snip> or teaching
> organisations
> >    ..... refers to minimum amount of copies necessary, but wither way
> >    Wikipedia would fall into either of these definitions as permitted to
> >    reproduce
> I don't know if Wikipedia would actually be covered by this: those
> terms are probably pretty narrow (and this is just a translation of
> the law, anyway).  In any event, it's pretty standard for copyright
> laws to make allowances for limited educational use.

This isnt limited reproduction of parts its the whole of the item can be
reproduced​,

> >    - article 30 - is the key here it enables translation into Portuguese
> >    after 3 years without any real restrictions - hence why the pt.wikis
> are
> >    having so much of an issue and by extension commons where they
> encourage
> >    uploading of media
> This appears to implement article 2 of the Berne Convention's "special
> provisions regarding developing countries" (Angola isn't a signatory,
> but it has signed the TRIPS Agreement, which incorporates those
> provisions).  It actually looks quite restrictive (the license has to
> be granted by the "State Secretariat for Culture", you have to try to
> get permission first, there are limitations on export, and you still
> have to pay the copyright holder).
>
> I don't think problematic uploads from mobile are a new or regional
> phenomenon—I seem to recall an earlier "selfiepocalypse".

​the problem coincided with Wikipedia Zero introduction, currently
volunteers spend thousands of hours every year dealing with copyright
violations from 1st world countries ​, the issue how do we stop the
inundation when its related to WP Zero activation, one is looking at the
copyright in each region and taking steps to avoid the creation of work for
the current volunteers, we know any two lawyers can read the same law and
come to differing interpretations

What could solve an immediate burden on current volunteers when introducing
WP Zero one possibility  is a read only access period, another is media
upload restrictions, but also incorporating some copyright education to end
users as well as the identifying which of our volunteer communities are
likely to impacted and provide clarity or least a WMF interpretation on
FOP, reuse, fair use , moral rights etc to those communities so they can be
prepared to address the impact. Maube ot be possible toput something like
pending revisions on uploads from the ip range of the country so at least
its not generally available in the initial period.  This has been an on
going issue for Commons and pt.wp for 12 months, its an issue that should
be addressed prior to startup not left to community to stumble around to
resolve leaving good faith editors impacted unfairly because there was no
preparation or support in managing the issue in the first instance. (yes
acknowledging that experience & hindsight are good teachers)

Gn.

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Vi to

Il 19/03/2016 13:57, Gnangarra ha scritto:
> ​outside the US things like copyright isnt  respected, enforced or even
> part of a person education
Not really.
>   We also have
> the URAA which even Commons has struggled with swings in interpretation
> over the last few years
Definitely a fail of common law ;)
Seriously I think Wikimedia should somehow escape from being *so*
affected by USA law.

Vito

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

David Emrany
Hi Adele

Can we have a clear picture of Wikimedia's ‘complicated’ relationship
with net neutrality - 1year on from the Washington Post story [1]

Can we also have specific figures on how much of WMF's traffic has
been lost / gained from key markets in Latin America and Asia after
regulators have blocked zeropaid schemes due to local concerns.

WMF's "complicated" stance has also turned off many like-minded
support groups who stand for pure net neutrality - and not WMF's or
Facebook's ersatz versions [2]

Lastly, if the primary aim of Wikipedia Zero is to gain readership,
why not simply disable all mobile edits / uploads from these accounts.

David

[1] http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/11/25/wikipedias-complicated-relationship-with-net-neutrality/

[2] https://blog.wikimedia.org/2014/08/01/wikipedia-zero-and-net-neutrality-protecting-the-internet/

On 3/19/16, Adele Vrana <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> > *Lucas Teles*
>> >
>> > *+55 (71) 98290 7553Steward at Wikimedia Foundation. Administrator *
>> > *at Portuguese Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons.*- wikipedista.com
>>

>> --
>> GN.
>> President Wikimedia Australia
>> WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
>> Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

> *Adele Vrana*
> *Strategic Partnerships*
> Wikimedia Foundation
> +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
> [hidden email]
>
> *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in the
> sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Gerard Meijssen-3
Hoi,
Realistically. Wikipedia is very much an enabler.

Your ease to consider "simply" disabling mobile edits or uploads I find
appalling. People in countries like USA or UK are very fortunate. Nobody
would ever argue to disable their edits or uploads. At the same time as a
movement we desperately need more and more diverse involvement. While you
may say what you want, it is unconscionable for us to do as you suggest as
it is fully contrary to what we aim to achieve.

What we are experiencing is a bump in the road. We have to deal with it but
throwing the baby with the washing water? REALLY !!
Thanks,
      GerardM

On 19 March 2016 at 15:03, David Emrany <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> >

> https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:Darwinius&diff=prev&oldid=45095087

> >> --
> >> GN.
> >> President Wikimedia Australia
> >> WMAU: http://www.wikimedia.org.au/wiki/User:Gnangarra
> >> Photo Gallery: http://gnangarra.redbubble.com

> > *Adele Vrana*
> > *Strategic Partnerships*
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
> > [hidden email]
> >
> > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the
> > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> > <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Steinsplitter Wiki
Hoi Gerard Meijssen et all.,

If there are issue with mobile edits we must take the necessary action to protect the wiki and re-users, this might include the aforementioned measures. I am sure we won't wast volunteers time.

If there are more problems than benefit... It is speaking for itself.

--Steinsplitter

> [...]
> > >> >

> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Steinsplitter&oldid=190598884#Unblock
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Teles/Angola_Facebook_Case
> > >> >

> > https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Forum&oldid=12835750#Wikipedia_Zero_being_used_to_violate_copyright
> > >> >

> > https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:Darwinius&diff=prev&oldid=45095087

> > > --
> > > *Adele Vrana*
> > > *Strategic Partnerships*
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
> > > [hidden email]
> > >
> > > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> > the
> > > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> > > <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Lodewijk
In a way, it is great to hear that Wikipedia zero is attracting new
editors! That is what I hoped for more than increasing readership.

The general question on how to stimulate positive edits while discouraging
negative contributions is the tricky part. What we always tell outsiders on
why we can cope with vandalism or simply bad edits is that we made it
easier to identify and revert it than to make them.

Maybe a superfluous question, but can we still differentiate individual
devices from each other somehow? I can imagine this is a tricky part if
not...

Besides the obvious downside,  are the positive sides also visible? Do we
see more edits on Angola relayed topics? Do you see more positive active
users from Angola?

Lodewijk

Op zondag 20 maart 2016 heeft Gerard Meijssen <[hidden email]>
het volgende geschreven:

> [...]
> > >> >

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Steinsplitter&oldid=190598884#Unblock
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Teles/Angola_Facebook_Case
> > >> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Forum&oldid=12835750#Wikipedia_Zero_being_used_to_violate_copyright
> > >> >

> https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:Darwinius&diff=prev&oldid=45095087

> > > --
> > > *Adele Vrana*
> > > *Strategic Partnerships*
> > > Wikimedia Foundation
> > > +1 (415) 839-6885 ext. 6773
> > > [hidden email] <javascript:;>
> > >
> > > *Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> > the
> > > sum of all knowledge. That's our commitment. Donate.
> > > <https://donate.wikimedia.org/>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Anytime a new linguistic group joins Wiki* we should expect a looooooong
September <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September> which will
sooner or later end. Meanwhile what might become *so* problematic (and then
must be stopped asap) is the usage of Commons as a file sharing platform.
There's a series of technical countermeasures (stopping truncated files,
setting requirements for upload of videos...) which don't imply blocking
editing from Zero.

Vito

> [...]
> > be

> that
> > > (as
> will
> > > try

> > using

> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/movicel-offers-free-access-to-wikipedia--1116012
> > > >> >

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Steinsplitter&oldid=190598884#Unblock
> > > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Teles/Angola_Facebook_Case
> > > >> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Forum&oldid=12835750#Wikipedia_Zero_being_used_to_violate_copyright
> > > >> >

> https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:Darwinius&diff=prev&oldid=45095087

> Administrator *

> in
> > > the

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

James Alexander-4
Aye, what Vito said.

For some context the WP0 team reached out to me when the partners started
flagging some of this as well. We've been considering a couple different
options which I think should be wider discussed. Part of that was also a
realization that we needed a way to actually tell if something was coming
from WP0 compared to a non-WP0 user and they implemented technical changes
with ops so that a header is passed through flagging that early this year
allowing for more targeted actions to be taken. Completely figuring out the
extent of the problem has also been though since it seems that even when
Wikipedia Zero is blocked the users most set at getting around restrictions
(which are, of course, the most dangerous in many  ways) also use other
options such as Facebook's Internet Basics/FB0 which also apparently gives
free access to our sites.

Some of the options considered (not yet implemented though I'd be
interested in peoples thoughts on them):

   - Edit filters (targeted specifically to WP0 or otherwise) flagging
   abnormally large files when compared to the stated file type or files
   coming in through WP0 in general.
   - File upload blocks or other filtering (such as file sizes over X or
   videos <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T126696>) specifically on WP0
   ranges.
   - More technical measures to try and detect abnormal images or PDFs that
   hold hidden files (apparently this is actually very difficult).

We've been talking with multiple groups within Engineering and given the
new information and options are going to continue to do so. I do think that
it is overall a "good" thing that people are trying to edit (originally all
we saw was the bad uploads and organized copyright violations which was
much less of a good thing...) but it's definitely true that we don't want
to overwhelm the current community in such a way that we not only lose
those new editors but old ones as well (or push them back so hard given the
necessity of protecting the wiki that they never come back). I think it
would be really good to think about ways to help deal with that.

James Alexander
Manager
Trust & Safety
Wikimedia Foundation
(415) 839-6885 x6716 @jamesofur

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 11:06 AM, Vi to <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > than
> > tend
> > should
> > > be

> > that
> > will

> > > using

> http://www.telecompaper.com/news/movicel-offers-free-access-to-wikipedia--1116012
> > > > >> >

> https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Steinsplitter&oldid=190598884#Unblock
> > > > >> >

> https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_Forum&oldid=12835750#Wikipedia_Zero_being_used_to_violate_copyright
> > > > >> >

> https://pt.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Usu%C3%A1rio_Discuss%C3%A3o:Darwinius&diff=prev&oldid=45095087

> > Administrator *
> wikipedista.com

> > in

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Isla Haddow-Flood-2
Hello

I am with all of those who see this as a positive thing. But perhaps a bit
of gentle curation of their initial experience could be the "fix" that is
needed rather than just cutting any fledgeling editors off altogether. How
about the following ...

reader decides to edit
> clicks on edit button
> directed to registration
> then to a step by step introduction to initial editing with links
(simplified pillars, neutrality, info about media)
> at end of steps put in touch with a member from either the a) language
community (in this case, Wikipedia Portuguese) to access initial editing
resources, OR b) put in touch with Wikimedia Chapter or Usergroups (where
possible) to request a notification on the next editing/community event. If
they still want to edit after that, then all power to them ... but at least
we have supported their effort and not cut them off entirely or confused
them into wrong actions or trolling.

Of course, you will always get people who are trying to be inappropriate,
but that can be taken care of on an individual and not a national basis.

warmest
Isla

On 21 March 2016 at 06:10, James Alexander <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > The general question on how to stimulate positive edits while
> > discouraging
> > > negative contributions is the tricky part. What we always tell
> outsiders
> > on
> > > why we can cope with vandalism or simply bad edits is that we made it
> > > easier to identify and revert it than to make them.
> > >
> > > Maybe a superfluous question, but can we still differentiate individual
> > > devices from each other somehow? I can imagine this is a tricky part if
> > > not...
> > >
> > > Besides the obvious downside,  are the positive sides also visible? Do
> we
> > > see more edits on Angola relayed topics? Do you see more positive
> active
> > > users from Angola?
> > >
> > > Lodewijk
> > >
> > > Op zondag 20 maart 2016 heeft Gerard Meijssen <

Isla Haddow-Flood
skype: islahaddow
twitter: @havingaflood
instgram:   islig
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Islahaddow
Linked in:  http://za.linkedin.com/pub/isla-haddow-flood

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

WereSpielChequers-2
Is much of the problem about differing varieties of Portuguese? Last I
heard the Portuguese language Wikipedia allowed multiple versions of
Portuguese in a similar way to English - i.e. standardised at the article
level not the project level; Though the editing base is much more skewed to
Brazil than EN is to the US. Assuming Angolan Portuguese is closer to the
Portuguese spoken in Portugal, then just as in EN you are likely to get
some goodfaith newbies "correcting" spelling to the version they know. If
so perhaps edit filters might work. Alternatively, would it be possible to
do something similar to the Chinese Wikipedia and display different
versions of Portuguese according to user preference/IP geography?

WereSpielChequers

[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Lucas Teles-2
WereSpielChequers, the different varieties of Portuguese is not the problem
here. It actually hasn't been a problem for a while. :)))

James and Adele, I am sincerely happy to know that WMF is not only aware of
it but also applying and thinking about measures to solve the problem.

Maybe opening large doors to Wikipedia is not enough. Unfortunately, we are
frustrating many users that come to Wikipedia and Commons expecting a place
to share their selfies and create profiles about themselves. Even though
they are acting in good faith, it is a pain to repeatedly delete files and
tell new users that they can't create an article about themselves. The good
part of dealing with a good faith user is that all we need to do to stop
them or fix the problem somehow is informing them the right. After knowing
the right, previous mistakes won't be repeated in most cases.

We are, however, doing that several times to several users. Maybe we could
use ways of reaching more users in a row with loud speakers. I believe that
if they are told that they can't upload certain files for instance, a large
part of them won't.

What if we use sitenotice with geolocalization to Angola? What if we try
reaching them through social medias as they also have free access to it in
some cases? What if we look for local editors to share Wikipedia
knowledge, communicate with press and engage other local editors to raise
grounds for generating regular editors there? That may be a hard one but
what if we rethink ways of communication and recognize that user talk page
is far from optimal to connect with new users? Sorry if that sounds naive
but I can't come with better ideas.

When I say we should inform them, I am obviously not underestimating people
of Angola and not trying to do some kind of "catechism". It is just trying
to improve their learning curve about wiki. Blocking is a desperate and
sometimes necessary measure but not a solution. Limiting uploads is not so
different though more specific, but actually even on Commons there are many
problems on editing too and not only with uploading.

A well deserved barnstar to the one with an insightfull idea about it.

Kind regards,

Teles

Em segunda-feira, 21 de março de 2016, WereSpielChequers <
[hidden email]
<javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> escreveu:

> Is much of the problem about differing varieties of Portuguese? Last I
> heard the Portuguese language Wikipedia allowed multiple versions of
> Portuguese in a similar way to English - i.e. standardised at the article
> level not the project level; Though the editing base is much more skewed to
> Brazil than EN is to the US. Assuming Angolan Portuguese is closer to the
> Portuguese spoken in Portugal, then just as in EN you are likely to get
> some goodfaith newbies "correcting" spelling to the version they know. If
> so perhaps edit filters might work. Alternatively, would it be possible to
> do something similar to the Chinese Wikipedia and display different
> versions of Portuguese according to user preference/IP geography?
>
> WereSpielChequers

Steward for Wikimedia Foundation. Administrator at Portuguese Wikipedia and
Wikimedia Commons.
Sent from mobile. Please, excuse my brevity.

+55 (71) 98290-7553

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Mwaoshe Njemah
Reminder: Wikipedia Zero is actually a very good thing. We are hoping to
improve the quality and quantity of articles

Mwaoshe Njemah,
Siku Ya Wiki Project
On 21 Mar 2016 09:58, "WereSpielChequers" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Is much of the problem about differing varieties of Portuguese? Last I
> heard the Portuguese language Wikipedia allowed multiple versions of
> Portuguese in a similar way to English - i.e. standardised at the article
> level not the project level; Though the editing base is much more skewed to
> Brazil than EN is to the US. Assuming Angolan Portuguese is closer to the
> Portuguese spoken in Portugal, then just as in EN you are likely to get
> some goodfaith newbies "correcting" spelling to the version they know. If
> so perhaps edit filters might work. Alternatively, would it be possible to
> do something similar to the Chinese Wikipedia and display different
> versions of Portuguese according to user preference/IP geography?
>
> WereSpielChequers

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Jason Koebler
This is an important issue and how Wikimedia and the community handles it
is very important. I would caution that even those who are pirating and
sharing copyrighted materials are not "bad actors," they are people who
have no other file sharing options who have found a creative solution in
the face of being given partial access to the internet.

Here is an article I just published on the subject:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/wikipedia-zero-facebook-free-basics-angola-pirates-zero-rating

On 22 March 2016 at 07:37, Mwaoshe Njemah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Reminder: Wikipedia Zero is actually a very good thing. We are hoping to
> improve the quality and quantity of articles
>
> Mwaoshe Njemah,
> Siku Ya Wiki Project
> On 21 Mar 2016 09:58, "WereSpielChequers" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Is much of the problem about differing varieties of Portuguese? Last I
> > heard the Portuguese language Wikipedia allowed multiple versions of
> > Portuguese in a similar way to English - i.e. standardised at the article
> > level not the project level; Though the editing base is much more skewed
> > Brazil than EN is to the US. Assuming Angolan Portuguese is closer to the
> > Portuguese spoken in Portugal, then just as in EN you are likely to get
> > some goodfaith newbies "correcting" spelling to the version they know. If
> > so perhaps edit filters might work. Alternatively, would it be possible
> > do something similar to the Chinese Wikipedia and display different
> > versions of Portuguese according to user preference/IP geography?
> >
> > WereSpielChequers

Jason Koebler
Staff Writer, Motherboard <http://www.motherboard.vice.com/> / VICE
Host & Producer, Radio Motherboard
<http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/radio-motherboard/id946704646?mt=2>
podcast
49 South 2nd Street, Brooklyn, NY 11249
301-412-7324
@jason_koebler <http://www.twitter.com/jason_koebler>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Andreas Kolbe-2
Motherboard today has a fairly comprehensive report on this:

Angola’s Wikipedia Pirates Are Exposing the Problems With Digital
Colonialism

On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Mwaoshe Njemah <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Reminder: Wikipedia Zero is actually a very good thing. We are hoping to
> improve the quality and quantity of articles
>
> Mwaoshe Njemah,
> Siku Ya Wiki Project
> On 21 Mar 2016 09:58, "WereSpielChequers" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Is much of the problem about differing varieties of Portuguese? Last I
> > heard the Portuguese language Wikipedia allowed multiple versions of
> > Portuguese in a similar way to English - i.e. standardised at the article
> > level not the project level; Though the editing base is much more skewed
> > Brazil than EN is to the US. Assuming Angolan Portuguese is closer to the
> > Portuguese spoken in Portugal, then just as in EN you are likely to get
> > some goodfaith newbies "correcting" spelling to the version they know. If
> > so perhaps edit filters might work. Alternatively, would it be possible
> > do something similar to the Chinese Wikipedia and display different
> > versions of Portuguese according to user preference/IP geography?
> >
> > WereSpielChequers

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Ziko van Dijk-3
Actually, I am quite appalled by the article. Whether one wants to see
something positive in pirating or not, the Wikimedia servers are not meant
for this purpose (for good reasons). Breaking rules and taking abuse of an
opportunity is not a goal by itself.
Kind regards
Ziko

Am Mittwoch, 23. März 2016 schrieb Jason Koebler :

> This is an important issue and how Wikimedia and the community handles it
> is very important. I would caution that even those who are pirating and
> sharing copyrighted materials are not "bad actors," they are people who
> have no other file sharing options who have found a creative solution in
> the face of being given partial access to the internet.
>
> Here is an article I just published on the subject:
>

> http://motherboard.vice.com/read/wikipedia-zero-facebook-free-basics-angola-pirates-zero-rating
>
> On 22 March 2016 at 07:37, Mwaoshe Njemah <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Reminder: Wikipedia Zero is actually a very good thing. We are hoping to
> > improve the quality and quantity of articles
> >
> > Mwaoshe Njemah,
> > Siku Ya Wiki Project
> > On 21 Mar 2016 09:58, "WereSpielChequers" <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Is much of the problem about differing varieties of Portuguese? Last I
> > > heard the Portuguese language Wikipedia allowed multiple versions of
> > > Portuguese in a similar way to English - i.e. standardised at the
> article
> > > level not the project level; Though the editing base is much more
> skewed
> > > Brazil than EN is to the US. Assuming Angolan Portuguese is closer to
> the
> > > Portuguese spoken in Portugal, then just as in EN you are likely to get
> > > some goodfaith newbies "correcting" spelling to the version they know.
> If
> > > so perhaps edit filters might work. Alternatively, would it be possible
> > > do something similar to the Chinese Wikipedia and display different
> > > versions of Portuguese according to user preference/IP geography?
> > >
> > > WereSpielChequers

> Jason Koebler
> Staff Writer, Motherboard <http://www.motherboard.vice.com/> / VICE
> Host & Producer, Radio Motherboard
> <http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/radio-motherboard/id946704646?mt=2>
> podcast
> 49 South 2nd Street, Brooklyn, NY 11249
> 301-412-7324
> @jason_koebler <http://www.twitter.com/jason_koebler>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia Zero mass effect on Wikimedia projects

Keegan Peterzell
On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 1:20 PM, Ziko van Dijk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, I am quite appalled by the article. Whether one wants to see
> something positive in pirating or not, the Wikimedia servers are not meant
> for this purpose (for good reasons). Breaking rules and taking abuse of an
> opportunity is not a goal by itself.
> Kind regards
> Ziko

​Call it what you want, but the world is changed when ordinary people who
are just trying to do ordinary things​

​have a roadblock put in front of them. This is that kind of thing, and
it's the "revolution" power of the distributed internet.​ We can shut them
down, but Angolans are going to find another way to do the very things that
those with full access to the internet take for granted. As Jason says, we
should take great caution and give deep thought before taking a binary side.

--
~Keegan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

This is my personal email address. Everything sent from this email address
is in a personal capacity.