[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

Andy Mabbett-2
Jimmy Wales was recently asked, on Twitter:

   How do you collaborate with Universities?
   <https://mobile.twitter.com/AarhusUni/status/460706953795502080>

to which he replied:

   Right now mostly through our GLAM programs (galleries,
   libraries, museums).
   <https://mobile.twitter.com/jimmy_wales/status/460711968698281984>

While it's nice go see GLAM recognised (the "A" stands for "Archives",
BTW), that's a bit of a slap to our colleagues who work on education
projects.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

Fæ
If Universities or GLAMs want to talk about our best practices for
running open knowledge projects that include Wikimedia projects, they
ought to be asking some of the many people who have successfully
delivered these projects.

Tip: ** Always recommend they visit https://outreach.wikimedia.org **
plenty of contacts and useful case studies are maintained there, both
for GLAMs and education.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

Leigh Thelmadatter
I think this speaks to how little is known and how poorly education projects have been promoted, especially outside the US and Canada. There is even the assumption on the part of many that this is the purview of chapters.

The Education Program has just convened an Education Cooperative with representatives from education projects in various parts of the world. Article in the Education newsletter (yes there is one) is here http://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/Newsletter/March_2014/Education_Cooperative_Kickoff_Meeting_in_Prague

> Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 11:23:10 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities
>
> If Universities or GLAMs want to talk about our best practices for
> running open knowledge projects that include Wikimedia projects, they
> ought to be asking some of the many people who have successfully
> delivered these projects.
>
> Tip: ** Always recommend they visit https://outreach.wikimedia.org **
> plenty of contacts and useful case studies are maintained there, both
> for GLAMs and education.
>
> Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

Newyorkbrad (Wikipedia)
Is there one place, perhaps on Meta, where a Wikipedian/Wikimedian could
find a summary/briefing on the various different programs that exist?

Newyorkbrad

On 6 May 2014 15:28, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there one place, perhaps on Meta, where a Wikipedian/Wikimedian could
> find a summary/briefing on the various different programs that exist?
>
> Newyorkbrad

Hi Brad,

Yes, this is the purpose of https://outreach.wikimedia.org. Admittedly
it always needs updating, however Romaine's excellent work keeping the
GLAM newsletter going should provide everything you would like to know
about what is happening -
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter.

Anyone can edit the outreach wiki, and people running education or
GLAM projects should make a point of adding their projects to the
site, it is our long term central repository of knowledge and should
be the reference point for communications about our projects.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

Risker
On 6 May 2014 11:45, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 6 May 2014 15:28, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Is there one place, perhaps on Meta, where a Wikipedian/Wikimedian could
> > find a summary/briefing on the various different programs that exist?
> >
> > Newyorkbrad
>
> Hi Brad,
>
> Yes, this is the purpose of https://outreach.wikimedia.org. Admittedly
> it always needs updating, however Romaine's excellent work keeping the
> GLAM newsletter going should provide everything you would like to know
> about what is happening -
> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter.
>
> Anyone can edit the outreach wiki, and people running education or
> GLAM projects should make a point of adding their projects to the
> site, it is our long term central repository of knowledge and should
> be the reference point for communications about our projects.

I think Newyorbrad's point is that this is sectioned off into a distant
project that few people know about - as I recall, it's not even part of the
SUL so one has to log in separately there - and it seems not to be
mentioned very often anywhere else.

Risker/Anne

On 6 May 2014 16:53, Risker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 6 May 2014 11:45, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM/Newsletter.
> I think Newyorbrad's point is that this is sectioned off into a distant
> project that few people know about - as I recall, it's not even part of the
> SUL so one has to log in separately there - and it seems not to be
> mentioned very often anywhere else.
>
> Risker/Anne

Fortunately https://outreach.wikimedia.org is included in the unified login.

On meta, https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/GLAM directs you to it. On
the English Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:GLAM
directs you to it as well.

Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

geni
On 6 May 2014 15:28, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there one place, perhaps on Meta, where a Wikipedian/Wikimedian could
> find a summary/briefing on the various different programs that exist?
>
> Newyorkbrad

The ones that are relevant to the english wikipedia can be found ad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Student_assignment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Education_noticeboard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Historical_page_for_school_and_university_projects

--
geni

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

LiAnna Davis-2
On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM, Newyorkbrad <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there one place, perhaps on Meta, where a Wikipedian/Wikimedian could
> find a summary/briefing on the various different programs that exist?

For education specifically: You can also go to
http://education.wikimedia.org, which takes you to the education portal on
Outreach wiki, and then click on "Programs" to see all the education
efforts around the world:
https://outreach.wikimedia.org/wiki/Education/Programs

I had the privilege of working with the program leaders from the education
program over the last few years, and there's some truly amazing work
happening in education around the world.

LiAnna

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

Mathias Damour
Le 06/05/2014 16:24, Leigh Thelmadatter a écrit :
> (...) There is even the assumption on the part of many that this is the purview of chapters.

Why shouldn't it be ?

--
Mathias Damour
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Astirmays

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

Leigh Thelmadatter
Where chapter support is wanted and helpful, no problem.  What I mean here is that universities should not be "required" to work "under" a chapter just because one exists.

Le 06/05/2014 20:15, Leigh Thelmadatter a écrit :
> Where chapter support is wanted and helpful, no problem.  What I mean here is that universities should not be "required" to work "under" a chapter just because one exists.

I mean that universities should be "able" to work "with" a chapter when
it exists, because it's the most convenient way. :-)

>> Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 20:08:58 +0200
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities
>>
>> Le 06/05/2014 16:24, Leigh Thelmadatter a écrit :
>>> (...) There is even the assumption on the part of many that this is the purview of chapters.
>> Why shouldn't it be ?
>>
>> --
>> Mathias Damour
>> https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Astirmays

--
Mathias Damour
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utilisateur:Astirmays

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia and Universities

Leigh Thelmadatter
Unfortunately, this is not always the case.