[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia for Diplomats (June 21)

[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia for Diplomats (June 21)

Everton Zanella Alvarenga-4
Hi all,

a friend of mine is moderating a debate about Wikipedia for diplomat,
professor Marília Maciel, and I think it is of interested of some
wikimedians. Please, see more infomation bellow

http://www.diplomacy.edu/calendar/webinar-wikipedia-diplomats

Diplo Foundation has cood courses on Internet Governance that may be of
interest of those participating of some recent threads I've seen here.
Share also with your local community.

Regards,

Tom

--
Everton Zanella Alvarenga (also Tom)
OKFN Brasil - Rede pelo Conhecimento Livre

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia for Diplomats (June 21)

Tomasz W. Kozlowski
Everton Zanella Alvarenga wrote:

> http://www.diplomacy.edu/calendar/webinar-wikipedia-diplomats

Is it just me who was surprised to see that Bence will be representing
the Affiliations Committee during that webinar? I know for a fact that
AffCom involves a lot of behind–the–scenes talks et al., but I don't
think it's directly related to diplomacy issues?

        -- Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia for Diplomats (June 21)

Bence Damokos
I will be representing myself as a Wikimedia volunteer, who happens to hold
a title related to AffCom and has a somewhat theoretical education of what
diplomacy is supposed to be.
I hope I am not totally unqualified to speak about the Wikipedia topics.

The webinar will be broadcast using Google Hangouts probably on the Diplo
Foundation's channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/DiploFoundation), but if
you register, you will get the link to the broadcast.

Best regards,
Bence

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski <[hidden email]

Bence Damokos wrote:

> I hope I am not totally unqualified to speak about the Wikipedia topics.

Quite the contrary, I think you're very knowledgeable about the
subject—but what does AffCom have to do with it? If you're going to talk
about Wikipedia's role in disseminating information about diplomacy
issues, then I think it should be simply 'Bence Damokos, Wikipedian'.

(No offence intended, etc.)

        -- Tomasz

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia for Diplomats (June 21)

Bence Damokos
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Tomasz W. Kozlowski <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Bence Damokos wrote:
>
>  I hope I am not totally unqualified to speak about the Wikipedia topics.
>>

> Quite the contrary, I think you're very knowledgeable about the
> subject—but what does AffCom have to do with it? If you're going to talk
> about Wikipedia's role in disseminating information about diplomacy issues,
> then I think it should be simply 'Bence Damokos, Wikipedian'.
>
> (No offence intended, etc.)

None taken and thanks for the suggestion. In this case, I believe the best
solution would have been to mention that I am the chair of AffCom, to make
it clear that this is a position I hold (like the director level officials
who will be the other participants) and not my qualification.

Best regards,
Bence

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia for Diplomats (June 21)

Alex Peek
Thanks Everton, I will be sure to join the Webinar.

"How can diplomats contribute to improve Wikipedia articles to increase
their public diplomacy value?"

I am doing a Wikipedia project that is highly related to this issue that
attempts to standardize economic data on Wikipedia for every country and
city in the world. It's essentially the periodic table for economics. I
guarantee this will be a valuable resource in the future. Please check it
out: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Global_Economic_Map

Here are draft articles I am working on for the top ten economies:

Countries ranked by 2011 GDP

1. United States:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Mcnabber091/Economy_of_the_United_States

2. China: