[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Charles Andrès-2
Wikipedia for prisoners – an unexpected partnership between a swiss prison and Wikimedia CH

Following an initiative from Emmanuel Engelhart, with the support of Wikimedia CH CAO, Chantal Ebongué, since March 2013, prisoners who request can have an access to Wikipedia offline (Kiwix project). The idea is to stimulate or to support the interest for education of prisoners who were, for a large majority, condemned to long-time sentences.

After three months of pilot phasis, the project is successful : Among the 36 prisoners of the Bellevue’s prison in Gorgier, 18 possess or rent a computer. All of them requested the upload of Wikipedia offline on their PC. For security reasons, swiss prisoners have a very restricted access to internet.

More informations in the press releases (ENG, DE, FR, IT) that was sent today to the swiss media

Regards,

Charles

Charles ANDRES, Chairman
"Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
www.wikimedia.ch
Office +41 (0)21 340 66 20
Skype: charles.andres.wmch
IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Liam Wyatt
Now THIS is seriously clever!
Well done WMCH - that is a truly innovative way to provide access to
knowledge to a community who is often forgotten.
Can you link to the press release here, please?

-Liam / Wittylama

wittylama.com
Peace, love & metadata

On 17 June 2013 14:15, Charles Andrès <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wikipedia for prisoners – an unexpected partnership between a swiss prison
> and Wikimedia CH
>
> Following an initiative from Emmanuel Engelhart, with the support of
> Wikimedia CH CAO, Chantal Ebongué, since March 2013, prisoners who request
> can have an access to Wikipedia offline (Kiwix project). The idea is to
> stimulate or to support the interest for education of prisoners who were,
> for a large majority, condemned to long-time sentences.
>
> After three months of pilot phasis, the project is successful : Among the
> 36 prisoners of the Bellevue’s prison in Gorgier, 18 possess or rent a
> computer. All of them requested the upload of Wikipedia offline on their
> PC. For security reasons, swiss prisoners have a very restricted access to
> internet.
>
> More informations in the press releases (ENG, DE, FR, IT) that was sent
> today to the swiss media
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles

> Charles ANDRES, Chairman
> "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
> www.wikimedia.ch
> Office +41 (0)21 340 66 20
> Skype: charles.andres.wmch
> IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Charles Andrès, 17/06/2013 16:15:
> Wikipedia for prisoners – an unexpected partnership between a swiss prison and Wikimedia CH
>
> Following an initiative from Emmanuel Engelhart, with the support of Wikimedia CH CAO, Chantal Ebongué, since March 2013, prisoners who request can have an access to Wikipedia offline (Kiwix project). The idea is to stimulate or to support the interest for education of prisoners who were, for a large majority, condemned to long-time sentences.
>
> After three months of pilot phasis, the project is successful : Among the 36 prisoners of the Bellevue’s prison in Gorgier, 18 possess or rent a computer. All of them requested the upload of Wikipedia offline on their PC. For security reasons, swiss prisoners have a very restricted access to internet.
>
> More informations in the press releases (ENG, DE, FR, IT) that was sent today to the swiss media

This is a project I've loved since the first time I heard about it: it's
socially crucial.
I look forward to a future when I'm able to give Wikipedia/Wikisource
workshops in the two big jails near my home, to further the article 27th
of the Italian constitution.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

metasj
Charles - How beautiful.   Thank you for doing and sharing this.
In what way was the partnership unexpected?  Did the Bellevue prison
approach Wikipedians?

Here is the announcement page w/PDF from the WM-CH site:
https://www.wikimedia.ch/%5Bi18n-termpath-raw%5D/wikipedia-jail

SJ

SJ

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now THIS is seriously clever!
> Well done WMCH - that is a truly innovative way to provide access to
> knowledge to a community who is often forgotten.
> Can you link to the press release here, please?
>
> -Liam / Wittylama
>
> wittylama.com
> Peace, love & metadata
>

> On 17 June 2013 14:15, Charles Andrès <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Wikipedia for prisoners – an unexpected partnership between a swiss prison
>> and Wikimedia CH
>>
>> Following an initiative from Emmanuel Engelhart, with the support of
>> Wikimedia CH CAO, Chantal Ebongué, since March 2013, prisoners who request
>> can have an access to Wikipedia offline (Kiwix project). The idea is to
>> stimulate or to support the interest for education of prisoners who were,
>> for a large majority, condemned to long-time sentences.
>>
>> After three months of pilot phasis, the project is successful : Among the
>> 36 prisoners of the Bellevue’s prison in Gorgier, 18 possess or rent a
>> computer. All of them requested the upload of Wikipedia offline on their
>> PC. For security reasons, swiss prisoners have a very restricted access to
>> internet.
>>
>> More informations in the press releases (ENG, DE, FR, IT) that was sent
>> today to the swiss media
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Charles

>> Charles ANDRES, Chairman
>> "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
>> www.wikimedia.ch
>> Office +41 (0)21 340 66 20
>> Skype: charles.andres.wmch
>> IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Bishakha Datta
Fantastic - and fascinating.

Would love to see a blog post by someone from the chapter or by one of
them.

Bravo for reaching out to forgotten people.

Bishakha

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Charles - How beautiful.   Thank you for doing and sharing this.
> In what way was the partnership unexpected?  Did the Bellevue prison
> approach Wikipedians?
>
> Here is the announcement page w/PDF from the WM-CH site:
> https://www.wikimedia.ch/%5Bi18n-termpath-raw%5D/wikipedia-jail
>
> SJ
>
> SJ
>

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Now THIS is seriously clever!
> > Well done WMCH - that is a truly innovative way to provide access to
> > knowledge to a community who is often forgotten.
> > Can you link to the press release here, please?
> >
> > -Liam / Wittylama
> >
> > wittylama.com
> > Peace, love & metadata
> >

> > On 17 June 2013 14:15, Charles Andrès <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Wikipedia for prisoners – an unexpected partnership between a swiss
> prison
> >> and Wikimedia CH
> >>
> >> Following an initiative from Emmanuel Engelhart, with the support of
> >> Wikimedia CH CAO, Chantal Ebongué, since March 2013, prisoners who
> request
> >> can have an access to Wikipedia offline (Kiwix project). The idea is to
> >> stimulate or to support the interest for education of prisoners who
> were,
> >> for a large majority, condemned to long-time sentences.
> >>
> >> After three months of pilot phasis, the project is successful : Among
> the
> >> 36 prisoners of the Bellevue’s prison in Gorgier, 18 possess or rent a
> >> computer. All of them requested the upload of Wikipedia offline on their
> >> PC. For security reasons, swiss prisoners have a very restricted access
> >> internet.
> >>
> >> More informations in the press releases (ENG, DE, FR, IT) that was sent
> >> today to the swiss media
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Charles
> >>

> >> ___________________________________________________________
> >> Charles ANDRES, Chairman
> >> "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
> >> www.wikimedia.ch
> >> Office +41 (0)21 340 66 20
> >> Skype: charles.andres.wmch
> >> IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Craig Franklin
This is a really wonderful project, I am a big believer in producing
educational opportunities to gaoled prisoners so that they can lead more
productive lives upon their release, and hopefully this project goes a
little way towards making that happen.

Bravo, Wikimedia CH!

Cheers,
Craig Franklin

On 18 June 2013 00:15, Charles Andrès <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wikipedia for prisoners – an unexpected partnership between a swiss prison
> and Wikimedia CH
>
> Following an initiative from Emmanuel Engelhart, with the support of
> Wikimedia CH CAO, Chantal Ebongué, since March 2013, prisoners who request
> can have an access to Wikipedia offline (Kiwix project). The idea is to
> stimulate or to support the interest for education of prisoners who were,
> for a large majority, condemned to long-time sentences.
>
> After three months of pilot phasis, the project is successful : Among the
> 36 prisoners of the Bellevue’s prison in Gorgier, 18 possess or rent a
> computer. All of them requested the upload of Wikipedia offline on their
> PC. For security reasons, swiss prisoners have a very restricted access to
> internet.
>
> More informations in the press releases (ENG, DE, FR, IT) that was sent
> today to the swiss media
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles

> Charles ANDRES, Chairman
> "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
> www.wikimedia.ch
> Office +41 (0)21 340 66 20
> Skype: charles.andres.wmch
> IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Robert Rohde
Very cool.

I'm curious, did the prison have any concerns about content or want
things filtered out?

I've know that some prisons don't allow reading material that is
sexual, violent, etc.  Did restrictions like that have to be
considered?  Obviously, most of Wikipedia is pretty mundane, but if
you look hard enough I'm sure some people might find things to object
to.

-Robert Rohde

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Charles Andrès
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wikipedia for prisoners – an unexpected partnership between a swiss prison and Wikimedia CH
>
> Following an initiative from Emmanuel Engelhart, with the support of Wikimedia CH CAO, Chantal Ebongué, since March 2013, prisoners who request can have an access to Wikipedia offline (Kiwix project). The idea is to stimulate or to support the interest for education of prisoners who were, for a large majority, condemned to long-time sentences.
>
> After three months of pilot phasis, the project is successful : Among the 36 prisoners of the Bellevue’s prison in Gorgier, 18 possess or rent a computer. All of them requested the upload of Wikipedia offline on their PC. For security reasons, swiss prisoners have a very restricted access to internet.
>
> More informations in the press releases (ENG, DE, FR, IT) that was sent today to the swiss media
>
> Regards,
>
> Charles

> Charles ANDRES, Chairman
> "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
> www.wikimedia.ch
> Office +41 (0)21 340 66 20
> Skype: charles.andres.wmch
> IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

rupert THURNER-2
Hi Robert, no censoring, filtering, or monitoring. Its the full French
wikipedia. Afaiu emmanuel it was not discussed, but he explicitly pointed
out that all articles are there  including the ones about arms.

Rupert
Am 19.06.2013 03:46 schrieb "Robert Rohde" <[hidden email]>:

> Very cool.
>
> I'm curious, did the prison have any concerns about content or want
> things filtered out?
>
> I've know that some prisons don't allow reading material that is
> sexual, violent, etc.  Did restrictions like that have to be
> considered?  Obviously, most of Wikipedia is pretty mundane, but if
> you look hard enough I'm sure some people might find things to object
> to.
>
> -Robert Rohde
>

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Charles Andrès
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Wikipedia for prisoners – an unexpected partnership between a swiss
> prison and Wikimedia CH
> >
> > Following an initiative from Emmanuel Engelhart, with the support of
> Wikimedia CH CAO, Chantal Ebongué, since March 2013, prisoners who request
> can have an access to Wikipedia offline (Kiwix project). The idea is to
> stimulate or to support the interest for education of prisoners who were,
> for a large majority, condemned to long-time sentences.
> >
> > After three months of pilot phasis, the project is successful : Among
> the 36 prisoners of the Bellevue’s prison in Gorgier, 18 possess or rent a
> computer. All of them requested the upload of Wikipedia offline on their
> PC. For security reasons, swiss prisoners have a very restricted access to
> internet.
> >
> > More informations in the press releases (ENG, DE, FR, IT) that was sent
> today to the swiss media
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Charles

> > Charles ANDRES, Chairman
> > "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
> > www.wikimedia.ch
> > Office +41 (0)21 340 66 20
> > Skype: charles.andres.wmch
> > IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Jane Darnell
The problem with static offline versions of Wikipedia is that it
doesn't allow any interaction at all, so you are virtually cutting off
the ability of the reader to become an editor. I am sure many people
will feel that prisoners probably don't have a lot of positive
information to contribute, or perhaps would not do this in good faith,
but theoretically there should be some channel back for them to voice
corrections or additions, possibly through some sort of local
collaboration committee?

I think this application of Wikipedia is great, but it is also
crippled. If we had an incubator system where this type of offline
application of Wikipedia could collect edits in a daily batch process
for intermediate curation it would be good. Something like this might
also useful for education programs with kindergartens or grade
schools. We have claimed in the past that a 17-year-old can be smarter
than a Ph.D. on any specific issue, but actually, age or environment
is arbitrary, no?

2013/6/19, rupert THURNER <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Robert, no censoring, filtering, or monitoring. Its the full French
> wikipedia. Afaiu emmanuel it was not discussed, but he explicitly pointed
> out that all articles are there  including the ones about arms.
>
> Rupert
> Am 19.06.2013 03:46 schrieb "Robert Rohde" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Very cool.
>>
>> I'm curious, did the prison have any concerns about content or want
>> things filtered out?
>>
>> I've know that some prisons don't allow reading material that is
>> sexual, violent, etc.  Did restrictions like that have to be
>> considered?  Obviously, most of Wikipedia is pretty mundane, but if
>> you look hard enough I'm sure some people might find things to object
>> to.
>>
>> -Robert Rohde
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 7:15 AM, Charles Andrès
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Wikipedia for prisoners – an unexpected partnership between a swiss
>> prison and Wikimedia CH
>> >
>> > Following an initiative from Emmanuel Engelhart, with the support of
>> Wikimedia CH CAO, Chantal Ebongué, since March 2013, prisoners who request
>> can have an access to Wikipedia offline (Kiwix project). The idea is to
>> stimulate or to support the interest for education of prisoners who were,
>> for a large majority, condemned to long-time sentences.
>> >
>> > After three months of pilot phasis, the project is successful : Among
>> the 36 prisoners of the Bellevue’s prison in Gorgier, 18 possess or rent a
>> computer. All of them requested the upload of Wikipedia offline on their
>> PC. For security reasons, swiss prisoners have a very restricted access to
>> internet.
>> >
>> > More informations in the press releases (ENG, DE, FR, IT) that was sent
>> today to the swiss media
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Charles
>> >

>> > ___________________________________________________________
>> > Charles ANDRES, Chairman
>> > "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
>> > www.wikimedia.ch
>> > Office +41 (0)21 340 66 20
>> > Skype: charles.andres.wmch
>> > IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Emmanuel Engelhart-5
Dear Jane

Le 19/06/2013 10:37, Jane Darnell a écrit :

> The problem with static offline versions of Wikipedia is that it
> doesn't allow any interaction at all, so you are virtually cutting off
> the ability of the reader to become an editor. I am sure many people
> will feel that prisoners probably don't have a lot of positive
> information to contribute, or perhaps would not do this in good faith,
> but theoretically there should be some channel back for them to voice
> corrections or additions, possibly through some sort of local
> collaboration committee?
>
> I think this application of Wikipedia is great, but it is also
> crippled. If we had an incubator system where this type of offline
> application of Wikipedia could collect edits in a daily batch process
> for intermediate curation it would be good. Something like this might
> also useful for education programs with kindergartens or grade
> schools. We have claimed in the past that a 17-year-old can be smarter
> than a Ph.D. on any specific issue, but actually, age or environment
> is arbitrary, no?

I agree. The problem with life is that you will never get everything you
want. The good news is: You still have plenty of opportunities and this
is already a lot!

More seriously:
* We know this is used as an "entry door" for other cultural/educative
activities by part of the prisoners
* We will try to encourage prisoners to contribute and try to animate
Wikipedia centric activities - similar approach as in the Afripedia project.

Regarding the asynchronous contributions: This is a pretty complicated
topic which (often) deals with challenging technical and cultural
issues. But discussion if pretty open and new experimentations are welcome.

Join us at:

Kind regards
Emmanuel

--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Per A.J. Andersson
2013-06-19, 10:13, skrev rupert THURNER:

>Hi Robert, no censoring, filtering, or monitoring. Its the full French
>wikipedia. Afaiu emmanuel it was not discussed, but he explicitly pointed
>out that all articles are there  including the ones about arms.

Interesting. Do you know how much data that involves? The last
count here:
http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesWikipediaFR.htm
is from 2009 (3.5 GB), so I guess even now it will be easily manageable.

Best of wishes,
/Per

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Federico Leva (Nemo)
Jane Darnell, 19/06/2013 10:37:

> The problem with static offline versions of Wikipedia is that it
> doesn't allow any interaction at all, so you are virtually cutting off
> the ability of the reader to become an editor. I am sure many people
> will feel that prisoners probably don't have a lot of positive
> information to contribute, or perhaps would not do this in good faith,
> but theoretically there should be some channel back for them to voice
> corrections or additions, possibly through some sort of local
> collaboration committee?
>
> I think this application of Wikipedia is great, but it is also
> crippled. If we had an incubator system where this type of offline
> application of Wikipedia could collect edits in a daily batch process
> for intermediate curation it would be good. Something like this might
> also useful for education programs with kindergartens or grade
> schools. We have claimed in the past that a 17-year-old can be smarter
> than a Ph.D. on any specific issue, but actually, age or environment
> is arbitrary, no?

Emmanuel is also working on a way for Kiwix to collect feedback/proposed
edits for articles. It's a bit tricky to design, of course; probably
pl.wiki and Wiktionary's examples will help.

Nemo

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Charles Andrès-2
Hello and thanks Bishaka,

We planned two type of post about this story, today or tomorrow we should publish a short one about the genesis of the project and the relation volunteer/staff.

As president of Wikimedia CH I'm very proud of the work accomplish by Emmanuel and Chantal, and we would like to share more about this aspect of the project.

The second post will arrive later this year with more information about the project itself and its usage.

Thanks too, SJ,

"unexpected" refers more to there eager of the newspaper.

It's really rare, if not totally absent, to read positive things about prisons. In this way, the public "expect" bad news when talking about prison, and when a nice story about prison arise, it's unexpected. :-)

Sincerely

Le 18 juin 2013 à 10:52, Bishakha Datta <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Fantastic - and fascinating.
>
> Would love to see a blog post by someone from the chapter or by one of
> them.
>
> Bravo for reaching out to forgotten people.
>
> Bishakha
>

> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Charles - How beautiful.   Thank you for doing and sharing this.
>> In what way was the partnership unexpected?  Did the Bellevue prison
>> approach Wikipedians?
>>
>> Here is the announcement page w/PDF from the WM-CH site:
>> https://www.wikimedia.ch/%5Bi18n-termpath-raw%5D/wikipedia-jail
>>
>> SJ
>>
>> SJ
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Liam Wyatt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Now THIS is seriously clever!
>>> Well done WMCH - that is a truly innovative way to provide access to
>>> knowledge to a community who is often forgotten.
>>> Can you link to the press release here, please?
>>>
>>> -Liam / Wittylama
>>>
>>> wittylama.com
>>> Peace, love & metadata

>> prison

>> request
>> were,

>> the

>> --
>> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Patricio Lorente
Charles, this is an amazing initiative. Thanks for sharing, I think we
could probably try to do something similar in Argentina.

                                                         Patricio

2013/6/19 Charles Andrès <[hidden email]>:

> Hello and thanks Bishaka,
>
> We planned two type of post about this story, today or tomorrow we should publish a short one about the genesis of the project and the relation volunteer/staff.
>
> As president of Wikimedia CH I'm very proud of the work accomplish by Emmanuel and Chantal, and we would like to share more about this aspect of the project.
>
> The second post will arrive later this year with more information about the project itself and its usage.
>

> Thanks too, SJ,
>
> "unexpected" refers more to there eager of the newspaper.
>
> It's really rare, if not totally absent, to read positive things about prisons. In this way, the public "expect" bad news when talking about prison, and when a nice story about prison arise, it's unexpected. :-)
>
> Sincerely

> Charles ANDRES, Chairman
> "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
> www.wikimedia.ch
> Skype: charles.andres.wmch
> IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch
>
> Le 18 juin 2013 à 10:52, Bishakha Datta <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Fantastic - and fascinating.
>>
>> Would love to see a blog post by someone from the chapter or by one of
>> them.
>>
>> Bravo for reaching out to forgotten people.
>>
>> Bishakha
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Charles - How beautiful.   Thank you for doing and sharing this.
>>> In what way was the partnership unexpected?  Did the Bellevue prison
>>> approach Wikipedians?
>>>
>>> Here is the announcement page w/PDF from the WM-CH site:
>>> https://www.wikimedia.ch/%5Bi18n-termpath-raw%5D/wikipedia-jail
>>>
>>> SJ
>>>
>>> SJ

>>> prison

>>> request
>>> were,

>>> the

>>> --
>>> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Patricio Lorente
Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar
Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Oona Castro
That's a really nice initiative indeed!
Em 19/06/2013 08:16, "Patricio Lorente" <[hidden email]>
escreveu:

> Charles, this is an amazing initiative. Thanks for sharing, I think we
> could probably try to do something similar in Argentina.
>
>                                                          Patricio
>
> 2013/6/19 Charles Andrès <[hidden email]>:
> > Hello and thanks Bishaka,
> >
> > We planned two type of post about this story, today or tomorrow we
> should publish a short one about the genesis of the project and the
> relation volunteer/staff.
> >
> > As president of Wikimedia CH I'm very proud of the work accomplish by
> Emmanuel and Chantal, and we would like to share more about this aspect of
> the project.
> >
> > The second post will arrive later this year with more information about
> the project itself and its usage.
> >

> > Thanks too, SJ,
> >
> > "unexpected" refers more to there eager of the newspaper.
> >
> > It's really rare, if not totally absent, to read positive things about
> prisons. In this way, the public "expect" bad news when talking about
> prison, and when a nice story about prison arise, it's unexpected. :-)
> >
> > Sincerely

> > Charles ANDRES, Chairman
> > "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
> > www.wikimedia.ch
> > Skype: charles.andres.wmch
> > IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch
> >
> > Le 18 juin 2013 à 10:52, Bishakha Datta <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> >
> >> Fantastic - and fascinating.
> >>
> >> Would love to see a blog post by someone from the chapter or by one of
> >> them.
> >>
> >> Bravo for reaching out to forgotten people.
> >>
> >> Bishakha

> their
> access

> sent

> 4266

> Patricio Lorente
> Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar
> Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

JP Béland
Perhaps there is a better channel to discuss that, but why Kiwix is
only Wikipedia especially since the French Wiktionary is one of the
most developed?

JP

Le 19/06/2013 15:23, JP Béland a écrit :
> Perhaps there is a better channel to discuss that, but why Kiwix is
> only Wikipedia especially since the French Wiktionary is one of the
> most developed?

Lack of time :(
On the agenda :)

Emmanuel

--
Kiwix - Wikipedia Offline & more
* Web: http://www.kiwix.org
* Twitter: https://twitter.com/KiwixOffline
* more: http://www.kiwix.org/wiki/Communication

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Balázs Viczián
Interesting, strange and scary at the same time.

Unfortunately I don't see much chance with such a program here in Hungary;
at least not in that prison where I did time... 2x10 hours to do a contract
photo job before christmas in 3 consecutive years :)

I bet if you check the stats what pages they've visited, it will be almost
exclusively porn an maybe some prison break stuff :)

Congrats WMCH for such a unique program!

Balazs

2013/6/19 Patricio Lorente <[hidden email]>

> Charles, this is an amazing initiative. Thanks for sharing, I think we
> could probably try to do something similar in Argentina.
>
>                                                          Patricio
>
> 2013/6/19 Charles Andrès <[hidden email]>:
> > Hello and thanks Bishaka,
> >
> > We planned two type of post about this story, today or tomorrow we
> should publish a short one about the genesis of the project and the
> relation volunteer/staff.
> >
> > As president of Wikimedia CH I'm very proud of the work accomplish by
> Emmanuel and Chantal, and we would like to share more about this aspect of
> the project.
> >
> > The second post will arrive later this year with more information about
> the project itself and its usage.
> >

> > Thanks too, SJ,
> >
> > "unexpected" refers more to there eager of the newspaper.
> >
> > It's really rare, if not totally absent, to read positive things about
> prisons. In this way, the public "expect" bad news when talking about
> prison, and when a nice story about prison arise, it's unexpected. :-)
> >
> > Sincerely

> > Charles ANDRES, Chairman
> > "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
> > www.wikimedia.ch
> > Skype: charles.andres.wmch
> > IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch
> >
> > Le 18 juin 2013 à 10:52, Bishakha Datta <[hidden email]> a
> écrit :
> >
> >> Fantastic - and fascinating.
> >>
> >> Would love to see a blog post by someone from the chapter or by one of
> >> them.
> >>
> >> Bravo for reaching out to forgotten people.
> >>
> >> Bishakha

> their
> access

> sent

> 4266

> Patricio Lorente
> Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar
> Identi.ca // Twitter: @patriciolorente

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Matthew Roth
On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 2:13 AM, Charles Andrès <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello and thanks Bishaka,
>
> We planned two type of post about this story, today or tomorrow we should
> publish a short one about the genesis of the project and the relation
> volunteer/staff.

Charles,
If you're inclined, I'd be happy to syndicate your post on the Wikimedia
blog, or however you might want to approach it. I think it would be great
to get this as much attention as we can.

If you're interested, we often draft on Meta wiki here:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Blog/Drafts

Please also let me know if you're doing social media messages about it, as
we can repeat/share/retweet etc from the Wikip/media accounts.

-Matthew

> As president of Wikimedia CH I'm very proud of the work accomplish by
> Emmanuel and Chantal, and we would like to share more about this aspect of
> the project.
>
> The second post will arrive later this year with more information about
> the project itself and its usage.
>

> Thanks too, SJ,
>
> "unexpected" refers more to there eager of the newspaper.
>
> It's really rare, if not totally absent, to read positive things about
> prisons. In this way, the public "expect" bad news when talking about
> prison, and when a nice story about prison arise, it's unexpected. :-)
>
> Sincerely

> Charles ANDRES, Chairman
> "Wikimedia CH" – Association for the advancement of free knowledge –
> www.wikimedia.ch
> Skype: charles.andres.wmch
> IRC://irc.freenode.net/wikimedia-ch
>
> Le 18 juin 2013 à 10:52, Bishakha Datta <[hidden email]> a écrit
> :
>
> > Fantastic - and fascinating.
> >
> > Would love to see a blog post by someone from the chapter or by one of
> > them.
> >
> > Bravo for reaching out to forgotten people.
> >
> > Bishakha
> >

> > On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM, Samuel Klein <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Charles - How beautiful.   Thank you for doing and sharing this.
> >> In what way was the partnership unexpected?  Did the Bellevue prison
> >> approach Wikipedians?
> >>
> >> Here is the announcement page w/PDF from the WM-CH site:
> >> https://www.wikimedia.ch/%5Bi18n-termpath-raw%5D/wikipedia-jail
> >>
> >> SJ
> >>
> >> SJ

> >> prison

> >> request
> >> were,

> >> the
> their
> access

> sent

> >> --
> >> Samuel Klein          @metasj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529
> 4266

Matthew Roth
Global Communications Manager
Wikimedia Foundation
+1.415.839.6885 ext 6635
www.wikimediafoundation.org
*http://blog.wikimedia.org/*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia in jail!

Joshua Gay-2

> * We will try to encourage prisoners to contribute and try to animate

Wikipedia centric activities - similar approach as in the Afripedia project.

Regarding the asynchronous contributions: This is a pretty complicated
> topic which (often) deals with challenging technical and cultural
> issues. But discussion if pretty open and new experimentations are welcome.

If users can not have direct write access to Wikimedia projects, I wonder
if a proxy system could be set-up whereas they could write letters and the
letters get scanned and posted. Instructions could be provided in offline
versions of Wikipedia and whatnot that would tell people to write a letter
to some address (maybe they could provide a username in their letter).
Volunteers could then scan those letters and upload a file attachment
(and/or transcription) of that letter to the user page. When possible, such
users could provide instructions on how to write to them.

Ideally, I would imagine such a project being set-up outside of Wikimedia
and simply providing for a way for people without write access to the
Internet could do such a thing. However, in the meantime, I think setting
up a Wikimedia by Proxy project separate from any one project under the
Wikimedia umbrella could be a nice way to begin.