[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Deb Tankersley
Hello!

I'm very pleased to announce that we've updated the Wikipedia.org
<http://wikipedia.org/> portal page with a brand new search box that is
more prominent and will now display meta data with images (as available) in
the search results (see attached image).

This was a large effort by the Discovery Portal team to develop a
JavaScript-only version of the language picker, so that JavaScript enabled
browsers will see all the new meta data. Alongside that effort, we also
ensured that in JavaScript (JS) disabled browsers (or older Internet
Explorer versions), our visitors won't have a bad experience when choosing
a language to search in. (Note: in older IE versions and JS disabled
browsers, the type-ahead and meta data search results information will not
be displayed.)

We also implemented a shorter language code (ie: EN for English, ES for
Spanish, etc) to allow for more characters to be typed into the search box.
When a user toggles the language selector, the full language name will be
displayed in the dropdown for easy finding of the language you prefer to
search in. For the more technical minded - I've attached a screenshot of
one of the ways we test our code, visually.

We're interested in hearing your feedback or if you have any questions!

On behalf of the very happy Wikipedia.org Portal Team,

Deb

--
Deb Tankersley
Product Manager, Discovery

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Anna Stillwell
Thank you. Great work.
/a

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Deborah Tankersley <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'm very pleased to announce that we've updated the Wikipedia.org
> <http://wikipedia.org/> portal page with a brand new search box that is
> more prominent and will now display meta data with images (as available) in
> the search results (see attached image).
>
> This was a large effort by the Discovery Portal team to develop a
> JavaScript-only version of the language picker, so that JavaScript enabled
> browsers will see all the new meta data. Alongside that effort, we also
> ensured that in JavaScript (JS) disabled browsers (or older Internet
> Explorer versions), our visitors won't have a bad experience when choosing
> a language to search in. (Note: in older IE versions and JS disabled
> browsers, the type-ahead and meta data search results information will not
> be displayed.)
>
> We also implemented a shorter language code (ie: EN for English, ES for
> Spanish, etc) to allow for more characters to be typed into the search box.
> When a user toggles the language selector, the full language name will be
> displayed in the dropdown for easy finding of the language you prefer to
> search in. For the more technical minded - I've attached a screenshot of
> one of the ways we test our code, visually.
>
> We're interested in hearing your feedback or if you have any questions!
>
> On behalf of the very happy Wikipedia.org Portal Team,
>
> Deb
>
> --
> Deb Tankersley
> Product Manager, Discovery
> Wikimedia Foundation

Anna Stillwell
Major Gifts Officer
Wikimedia Foundation
415.806.1536
*www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Steinsplitter Wiki
Wow! Cool. Thanks!

:-)

--Steinsplitter

> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 09:01:34 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]; [hidden email]; [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!
>
> Thank you. Great work.
> /a
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:27 PM, Deborah Tankersley <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm very pleased to announce that we've updated the Wikipedia.org
> > <http://wikipedia.org/> portal page with a brand new search box that is
> > more prominent and will now display meta data with images (as available) in
> > the search results (see attached image).
> >
> > This was a large effort by the Discovery Portal team to develop a
> > JavaScript-only version of the language picker, so that JavaScript enabled
> > browsers will see all the new meta data. Alongside that effort, we also
> > ensured that in JavaScript (JS) disabled browsers (or older Internet
> > Explorer versions), our visitors won't have a bad experience when choosing
> > a language to search in. (Note: in older IE versions and JS disabled
> > browsers, the type-ahead and meta data search results information will not
> > be displayed.)
> >
> > We also implemented a shorter language code (ie: EN for English, ES for
> > Spanish, etc) to allow for more characters to be typed into the search box.
> > When a user toggles the language selector, the full language name will be
> > displayed in the dropdown for easy finding of the language you prefer to
> > search in. For the more technical minded - I've attached a screenshot of
> > one of the ways we test our code, visually.
> >
> > We're interested in hearing your feedback or if you have any questions!
> >
> > On behalf of the very happy Wikipedia.org Portal Team,
> >
> > Deb
> >
> > --
> > Deb Tankersley
> > Product Manager, Discovery
> > Wikimedia Foundation

> Anna Stillwell
> Major Gifts Officer
> Wikimedia Foundation
> 415.806.1536
> *www.wikimediafoundation.org <http://www.wikimediafoundation.org>*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Michael Jahn-3
I've played around a bit. Feels very cool!
Michael

> Hello!
>
> I'm very pleased to announce that we've updated the Wikipedia.org
> <http://wikipedia.org/> portal page with a brand new search box that is
> more prominent and will now display meta data with images (as available) in
> the search results (see attached image).
>
> This was a large effort by the Discovery Portal team to develop a
> JavaScript-only version of the language picker, so that JavaScript enabled
> browsers will see all the new meta data. Alongside that effort, we also
> ensured that in JavaScript (JS) disabled browsers (or older Internet
> Explorer versions), our visitors won't have a bad experience when choosing
> a language to search in. (Note: in older IE versions and JS disabled
> browsers, the type-ahead and meta data search results information will not
> be displayed.)
>
> We also implemented a shorter language code (ie: EN for English, ES for
> Spanish, etc) to allow for more characters to be typed into the search box.
> When a user toggles the language selector, the full language name will be
> displayed in the dropdown for easy finding of the language you prefer to
> search in. For the more technical minded - I've attached a screenshot of
> one of the ways we test our code, visually.
>
> We're interested in hearing your feedback or if you have any questions!
>
> On behalf of the very happy Wikipedia.org Portal Team,
>
> Deb
>
> --
> Deb Tankersley
> Product Manager, Discovery
> Wikimedia Foundation

Leiter Kommunikation
Head of Communications

Tel. (030) 219 158 260

http://wikimedia.de <http://www.wikimedia.de>

Stellen Sie sich eine Welt vor, in der jeder Mensch freien Zugang zu der
Gesamtheit des Wissens der Menschheit hat. Helfen Sie uns dabei!

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

MF-Warburg-2
What happened to the search box "Find Wikipedia in your language"?

> Hello!
>
> I'm very pleased to announce that we've updated the Wikipedia.org
> <http://wikipedia.org/> portal page with a brand new search box that is
> more prominent and will now display meta data with images (as available) in
> the search results (see attached image).
>
> This was a large effort by the Discovery Portal team to develop a
> JavaScript-only version of the language picker, so that JavaScript enabled
> browsers will see all the new meta data. Alongside that effort, we also
> ensured that in JavaScript (JS) disabled browsers (or older Internet
> Explorer versions), our visitors won't have a bad experience when choosing
> a language to search in. (Note: in older IE versions and JS disabled
> browsers, the type-ahead and meta data search results information will not
> be displayed.)
>
> We also implemented a shorter language code (ie: EN for English, ES for
> Spanish, etc) to allow for more characters to be typed into the search box.
> When a user toggles the language selector, the full language name will be
> displayed in the dropdown for easy finding of the language you prefer to
> search in. For the more technical minded - I've attached a screenshot of
> one of the ways we test our code, visually.
>
> We're interested in hearing your feedback or if you have any questions!
>
> On behalf of the very happy Wikipedia.org Portal Team,
>
> Deb
>
> --
> Deb Tankersley
> Product Manager, Discovery
> Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Deb Tankersley
Hello,

We disabled this small feature on the wikipedia.org portal page because it
essentially didn't work; due to a bug in the API that it uses. We
documented it here: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T126409 and on the
Portal Improvements page:
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia.org_Portal_Improvements#Minor_updates_to_the_Portal_page
.

Cheers,

Deb

--
Deb Tankersley
Product Manager, Discovery

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM, MF-Warburg <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> What happened to the search box "Find Wikipedia in your language"?

> > Hello!
> >
> > I'm very pleased to announce that we've updated the Wikipedia.org
> > <http://wikipedia.org/> portal page with a brand new search box that is
> > more prominent and will now display meta data with images (as available)
> in
> > the search results (see attached image).
> >
> > This was a large effort by the Discovery Portal team to develop a
> > JavaScript-only version of the language picker, so that JavaScript
> enabled
> > browsers will see all the new meta data. Alongside that effort, we also
> > ensured that in JavaScript (JS) disabled browsers (or older Internet
> > Explorer versions), our visitors won't have a bad experience when
> choosing
> > a language to search in. (Note: in older IE versions and JS disabled
> > browsers, the type-ahead and meta data search results information will
> not
> > be displayed.)
> >
> > We also implemented a shorter language code (ie: EN for English, ES for
> > Spanish, etc) to allow for more characters to be typed into the search
> box.
> > When a user toggles the language selector, the full language name will be
> > displayed in the dropdown for easy finding of the language you prefer to
> > search in. For the more technical minded - I've attached a screenshot of
> > one of the ways we test our code, visually.
> >
> > We're interested in hearing your feedback or if you have any questions!
> >
> > On behalf of the very happy Wikipedia.org Portal Team,
> >
> > Deb
> >
> > --
> > Deb Tankersley
> > Product Manager, Discovery
> > Wikimedia Foundation

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Sam Klein
I'm using the portal much more these days!  Two thoughts, a few days in:

= Is there a way to turn on thumbnailing on the individual language wikis
too?

= Auto-suggesting language based on charset would be nice.  when searching
in multiple languages I always forget once to switch to the target language
and end up getting search results for kanji on he.wp or for hebrew on ja.wp

Thanks, SJ

Samuel Klein          @metasj          w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia.org portal page update!

Deb Tankersley
Hi Sam,

We're glad you're using the Portal page more than usual and we hope that
with upcoming future enhancements, you'll continue to enjoy it!

For your first question - we are currently focusing on the wikipedia.org
portal page at this time. We have no immediate plans to update the
individual wiki's with this code but that doesn't mean that anyone in the
community can't use our code to update another wiki to use the meta data
and images as we did, in the search results.

For your second question, we actually have a ticket
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T129627> open to look for input exactly
like that. When a user types in a few words that are not in the language
that has been previously selected, we're hoping to be able to switch to
that "new" language on the fly. I agree that it'll be a very neat feature
for us to have on the portal!

Thanks for your input!

Cheers,

Deb