[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

Mardetanha-2
Dear Fellow Wikimedians
I would like to congratulate you on Wikipedia's 15th birthday, it was
historic moment for all of us, I am glad to let you know we had a
celebration in Tehran and we were the first country to celebrate it.
you can find images here
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_15_in_Iran
Mardetanha

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

Tanvir Rahman
Nice to hear about it, Mardentanha. Great news!

Bangladesh has planned to celebrate it in a few hours. :-)

More later. Till then, keep celebrating people.

T.

Tanvir Rahman
Wikitanvir on Wikimedia

On 15 January 2016 at 00:30, Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Fellow Wikimedians
> I would like to congratulate you on Wikipedia's 15th birthday, it was
> historic moment for all of us, I am glad to let you know we had a
> celebration in Tehran and we were the first country to celebrate it.
> you can find images here
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_15_in_Iran
> Mardetanha

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

Yaroslav M. Blanter
On 2016-01-15 00:30, Mardetanha wrote:

> Dear Fellow Wikimedians
> I would like to congratulate you on Wikipedia's 15th birthday, it was
> historic moment for all of us, I am glad to let you know we had a
> celebration in Tehran and we were the first country to celebrate it.
> you can find images here
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_15_in_Iran
> Mardetanha

I feel like today is time for stories, and I guess this thread is
exactly the place we can share some stories today. I wish everybody
does, since this is a nice way to celebrate 15y.

It could be in principle anything remotely Wikimedia related. For
example, the highest real-life rank of a person I ever blocked on
Wikipedia was a member of the European parliament (or someone
impersonating him). But these stories mainly reveal human stupidity, and
today we want to talk more on the human knowledge. Therefore I am going
to spend my daily quota of wikimedia-l post for smth else.

I was born in 1967 in the Soviet Union and I am coming from a
pre-internet generation. I first used internet in 1995 or so, past my
PhD degree. However, I was always interested in learning things, this is
probably why I later joined the Wikimedia movement. And I was a pretty
advanced-knowledge teenager, knowing things my peers would normally not
know anything about, and I was interested in all kinds of stuff: from
exact sciences to history and languages and to geographical names. It
was really painful to get any non-mainstream information. Let me give
you a couple of example of the problems I encountered.

One was languages. Well, for mainstream foreign languages like English
or German it was relatively easy to find textbooks and dictionaries.
They were nothing like modern means of language learning, for example
the Teach Yourself series, not even speaking of online courses. Other
languages were more difficult. Some languages were impossible. Well, I
grew up in Moscow, which had a 10M population, and there were couple of
libraries where I presumably could find dictionaries of even uncommon
languages, but these were difficult to get in (normally one had to be 18
yo), they did not let the books out of the building, and for a number of
practical reasons they were not really an option. On the other hand, I
was hiking a lot in Central Asia, and I was suffering from inability to
understand what the local Turkic names (in Kazakh and Kyrghyz mainly)
mean. Well, you learn soon that Ak-Suu means "White river", meaning "aq"
is white and "suu" is a river, but this is about it). So what I did I
searched all available literature at home and around including the
school library, and came up with a list of about 100 words. This was my
own, personal, self-made Kyrghyz-Russian dictionary. It was weird,
since, for example, did not include verbs, and it did not help me to
speak Kyrghyz in any sense - and I still do not - but it was fine to
understand the names and to feel kind of like at home. Now we have of
course professional dictionaries available online. (Kyrghyz is still not
in a Google translate though).

The second story. For whatever reason, when I was about twelve, I needed
to have Japanese names. I do not remember why I needed them, but
Japanese names were notoriously difficult to find. The books I had
available only mentioned a few individuals. The newspapers rarely wrote
about Japan, and again only mentioned a few individuals. Then there
happened the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, and Japanese team
entered the ice hockey tournament. (They ended up last). There was a
sports newspaper which I had access to, which published the results of
the games, and of course ice hockey was at the time a great deal in
Russia (on that Olympics, the Soviet team lost to the US team in the
finals, which is still considered to be a major fuckup), but apparently
they did not publish all the names of the players, only last names of
those who scored a goal. Japanese rarely scored, and there was my tough
luck. But them the same newspaper opened a hotline - one could phone a
certain number, and they would answer any question related to the
results of the Olympics. I thought this is my chance. I was dead afraid
calling people I do not know, but I still collected a piece of paper, a
pen and phoned. A nice female voice answered, and I said I would like to
have names of the Japanese ice hockey team players. The nice voice
answered that the team is too big, and their policy is not to give long
answers. That was the end of it.

You may think by now we are in the free information world, and the
players of the 1980 Japanese ice hockey team are on Wikipedia. Well,
check them. The names are there (it takes a while to find the list of
names on the English Wikipedia - I believe the only article they are
listed is [[Japan at the 1980 Winter Olympics]]), but only one of them -
[[Herb Wakabayashi]], who died last year - has an article. Japanese
Wikipedia, as far as I can tell, is not better. A team of mystery
persons.

Happy 15y celebrations.

Cheers
Yaroslav

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

Jane Darnell
Thanks for sharing! I was bicycling through New York and stopped in Lake
Placid in 2005 to buy a pair of running shoes (long story, but I still have
them, though they are really worn down now) and in the sports store and
local (Carnegie) library they are still proud of those Olympics and talk
about them as if it was yesterday. They get lots of "Olympics tourists" and
oddly, probably know the names of all the gold-winning athletes in their
heads by now, supported of course by Wikipedia. The big names for me at
that time were Eric Heiden and Piet Kleine, who they knew about, but for
them (as I guess for pretty much everyone else in the world) the big names
in skating were the ice hockey players.

My biggest usage of Wikipedia outside my home today is looking up food
ingredients in stores on mobile. When I was a teenager I had a friend with
an allergy who would get really sick eating foods with nuts in them. It was
remarkably hard to find out what had nuts, and generally you could only
find this out after the fact (bought it, ate it, got sick, took the
packaging to the library, repeat). Even the fast food places couldn't tell
you. Now I have a brother with an allergy and no matter where we are in the
world we can find out what the ingredients mean on the packaging. I think
that is a huge leap forward, even though sometimes I wish I didn't know
what is in some foods, because I dare to eat less and less of what is on
store shelves today.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> chance. I was dead afraid calling people I do not know, but I still
> collected a piece of paper, a pen and phoned. A nice female voice answered,
> and I said I would like to have names of the Japanese ice hockey team
> players. The nice voice answered that the team is too big, and their policy
> is not to give long answers. That was the end of it.
>
> You may think by now we are in the free information world, and the players
> of the 1980 Japanese ice hockey team are on Wikipedia. Well, check them.
> The names are there (it takes a while to find the list of names on the
> English Wikipedia - I believe the only article they are listed is [[Japan
> at the 1980 Winter Olympics]]), but only one of them - [[Herb
> Wakabayashi]], who died last year - has an article. Japanese Wikipedia, as
> far as I can tell, is not better. A team of mystery persons.

Shlomi Fish
On Fri, 15 Jan 2016 03:00:50 +0330
Mardetanha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Fellow Wikimedians
> I would like to congratulate you on Wikipedia's 15th birthday, it was
> historic moment for all of us, I am glad to let you know we had a
> celebration in Tehran and we were the first country to celebrate it.
> you can find images here
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_15_in_Iran
> Mardetanha

Happy birthday, Wikipedia! It's such a great resource.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

Yusuke Matsubara
On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 5:42 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You may think by now we are in the free information world, and the players of the 1980 Japanese ice hockey team are on Wikipedia.
(snip)
> Japanese Wikipedia, as far as I can tell, is not better. A team of mystery persons.

Try then the freely editable knowledge base. :) Two of them [1] are
now on Wikidata:
http://tinyurl.com/zganwzg
http://tinyurl.com/jgdnxwu
(click "Execute" to see the list)

Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your stories - an excellent way
to celebrate.

-Yusuke

[1] Herb Wakabayashi - apparently, a Canadian who was naturalized to
Japan later - is not in the query results. That piece of information
is missing on Wikidata and I couldn't find a credible source to cite
immediately.

> [...]

> I do not know, but I still collected a piece of paper, a pen and phoned. A
> nice female voice answered, and I said I would like to have names of the
> Japanese ice hockey team players. The nice voice answered that the team is
> too big, and their policy is not to give long answers. That was the end of
> it.
>
> You may think by now we are in the free information world, and the players
> of the 1980 Japanese ice hockey team are on Wikipedia. Well, check them. The
> names are there (it takes a while to find the list of names on the English
> Wikipedia - I believe the only article they are listed is [[Japan at the
> 1980 Winter Olympics]]), but only one of them - [[Herb Wakabayashi]], who
> died last year - has an article. Japanese Wikipedia, as far as I can tell,
> is not better. A team of mystery persons.

Amir Sarabadani-2
About the celebration in Tehran, I think this video
<https://twitter.com/ablomof/status/687618946699231233> is worth watching :)

P.S. The hashtag we used for the celebration #wikipedia15fa is now being
used widely by everyone \o/

Best

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM Yusuke Matsubara <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > Japanese ice hockey team players. The nice voice answered that the team
> is
> > too big, and their policy is not to give long answers. That was the end
> of
> > it.
> >
> > You may think by now we are in the free information world, and the
> players
> > of the 1980 Japanese ice hockey team are on Wikipedia. Well, check them.
> The
> > names are there (it takes a while to find the list of names on the
> English
> > Wikipedia - I believe the only article they are listed is [[Japan at the
> > 1980 Winter Olympics]]), but only one of them - [[Herb Wakabayashi]], who
> > died last year - has an article. Japanese Wikipedia, as far as I can
> tell,
> > is not better. A team of mystery persons.

Andrew Lih
Here’s my piece talking about Wikipedia @15 that ran on The Washington Post
this morning.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2016/01/15/wikipedia-just-turned-15-years-old-will-it-survive-15-more/

I’ll post some personal reflections later. Happy 15th all!

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 8:31 AM, Amir Ladsgroup <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > too big, and their policy is not to give long answers. That was the end
> > of
> > > it.
> > >
> > > You may think by now we are in the free information world, and the
> > players
> > > of the 1980 Japanese ice hockey team are on Wikipedia. Well, check
> them.
> > The
> > > names are there (it takes a while to find the list of names on the
> > English
> > > Wikipedia - I believe the only article they are listed is [[Japan at
> the
> > > 1980 Winter Olympics]]), but only one of them - [[Herb Wakabayashi]],
> who
> > > died last year - has an article. Japanese Wikipedia, as far as I can
> > tell,
> > > is not better. A team of mystery persons.

Florence Devouard-3
Le 15/01/16 14:31, Amir Ladsgroup a écrit :
> About the celebration in Tehran, I think this video
> <https://twitter.com/ablomof/status/687618946699231233> is worth watching :)
>
> P.S. The hashtag we used for the celebration #wikipedia15fa is now being
> used widely by everyone \o/
>
> Best

Wonderful !!! Big smile.

Flo

<small>(where are the women ?)</small>

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

Andrea Zanni-2
In the tradition of originality that belongs to Wikipedians,
here for your enjoyment there is a video of a XVII century version of
"Happy Birthday, Wikimedia":
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Happy_Birthday_Wikipedia_2016_-_Flavio_Colusso_-_WM-IT.webm

Here's the audio version:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Happy_Birthday_Wikipedia_2016_-_Flavio_Colusso_-_WM-IT_%28uncut_audio%29.oga

The song was recorded during Wiki Loves Monuments Italia ceremony on 11th
December,
which was also the ceremony for the 10th birthday of Wikimedia Italia.
It's also nice because it was the week we understood "Happy Birthday" is in
the public domain :-)

Have a nice 15th, y'all.

Aubrey

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Andrew Lih <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > used widely by everyone \o/
> >
> > Best
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 2:03 PM Yusuke Matsubara <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > players of the 1980 Japanese ice hockey team are on Wikipedia.
> > > (snip)
> > > mystery persons.
> > >
> > > Try then the freely editable knowledge base. :) Two of them [1] are
> > > now on Wikidata:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/zganwzg
> > > http://tinyurl.com/jgdnxwu
> > > (click "Execute" to see the list)
> > >
> > > Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your stories - an excellent way
> > > to celebrate.
> > >
> > > -Yusuke
> > >
> > > [1] Herb Wakabayashi - apparently, a Canadian who was naturalized to
> > > Japan later - is not in the query results. That piece of information
> > > is missing on Wikidata and I couldn't find a credible source to cite

Lila Tretikov
Mardetanha, thank you for kicking off the celebration from Tehran.
Congratulations
Wikimedians of the world on your massive achievement.

Lila

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Mardetanha <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear Fellow Wikimedians
> I would like to congratulate you on Wikipedia's 15th birthday, it was
> historic moment for all of us, I am glad to let you know we had a
> celebration in Tehran and we were the first country to celebrate it.
> you can find images here
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_15_in_Iran
> Mardetanha

Lila Tretikov
Wikimedia Foundation

*“Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.”*

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

Ivan Martínez
Thanks for sharing, my friend!

> Mardetanha, thank you for kicking off the celebration from Tehran.
> Congratulations
> Wikimedians of the world on your massive achievement.
>
> Lila
>
> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Mardetanha <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear Fellow Wikimedians
> > I would like to congratulate you on Wikipedia's 15th birthday, it was
> > historic moment for all of us, I am glad to let you know we had a
> > celebration in Tehran and we were the first country to celebrate it.
> > you can find images here
> > https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_15_in_Iran
> > Mardetanha

> Lila Tretikov
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> *“Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.”*

*Iván Martínez*

*Presidente - Wikimedia México A.C.User:ProtoplasmaKid @protoplasmakid*

Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda a
proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

梁忠明
Just concluded our WP15 celebrations. Was having happy moments with fellow Wikipedians from HK and Taipei and sharing our vision and thought on the future of Wikipedia. We cut a cake and sang a birthday song[1] to Wikipedia, just as our Italian counterparts did. We wish that Wikipedia can serve to spread more knowledges that are yet to known for us, so as to serve people all around the world well, and a tremendous 15 years ahead. This would need efforts from all of us. Let’s work on.

Best wishes from Hong Kong,

Leung Chung-ming (User:春卷柯南)
Chinese Wikipedia

1. https://www.facebook.com/krislcc/videos/vb.582339226/10153400584709227/?type=2&theater <https://www.facebook.com/krislcc/videos/vb.582339226/10153400584709227/?type=2&theater>

> Ivan Martínez <[hidden email]> 於 2016年1月16日 上午1:04 寫道:
>
> Thanks for sharing, my friend!

>> Mardetanha, thank you for kicking off the celebration from Tehran.
>> Congratulations
>> Wikimedians of the world on your massive achievement.
>>
>> Lila
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM, Mardetanha <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Fellow Wikimedians
>>> I would like to congratulate you on Wikipedia's 15th birthday, it was
>>> historic moment for all of us, I am glad to let you know we had a
>>> celebration in Tehran and we were the first country to celebrate it.
>>> you can find images here
>>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikipedia_15_in_Iran
>>> Mardetanha
>>

>> --
>> Lila Tretikov
>> Wikimedia Foundation
>>
>> *“Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.”*

> *Iván Martínez*
>

> *Presidente - Wikimedia México A.C.User:ProtoplasmaKid @protoplasmakid*
>
> Hemos creado la más grande colección de conocimiento compartido. Ayuda a
> proteger a Wikipedia, dona ahora:
> https://donate.wikimedia.org

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

WereSpielChequers-2
A few hours ago I had the pleasure of celebrating Wikipedia's fifteenth
birthday here in Tbilisi
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikipedia_fifteenth_birthday_party_in_Tbilisi_01.JPG>
with Wikimedia Georgia. Press and Television were both in attendance.

We had some interesting discussions - there may be an application coming in
for internationalisation to deal with the problem that many Georgians can
only edit in the Latin script.

I then went on to take some photos in the Georgian National Museum, though
it may be a few days before I organise and upload those. I tried to get
better photos of this bracelet
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pyrope_and_Turquoise_jewellery.JPG>and
I have photos of another Georgian diadem
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Diadems_of_Georgia>

> Jonathan

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's 15th BD

Denny Vrandecic-6
For Wikipedia's 15th birthday I wish that we will move towards thinking how
to massively increase the effectivity of each and every single contributor
and their reach. I wish us to think how we can, by 2020, create
well-sourced, high quality, comprehensive Wikipedias in more than 200
languages, and be able to maintain those without assuming that we have
30,000 or more active editors in each of these languages.

I want us to think about ways how to achieve a billion articles. We need
tools and workflows that go well beyond Wikidata and Content Translation to
really achieve that goal. Ways to allow to create and maintain a knowledge
base which abstracts from natural language, and ways to generate articles
in any of our supported languages on the fly. This generators have to be as
community-editable and creatable as the content itself, as anything else
won't scale for our means.

That's my wish for our 15 year old project.