[Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's sourcing

sashi
Hello,

I thought I would ask if any of the junior or senior researchers here on
this mailing list have conducted previous inquiries into Wikipedia's
sourcing.

I am currently working on a project of determining what proportion of
Wikipedia is sourced to newspapers, the military, the Church, social
media, etc.

The data I've compiled this month, along with a brief write-up, have
been posted to Wikipediocracy:

http://wikipediocracy.com/2018/08/26/wikipedia-sources-methods/

I imagine I'm reinventing the wheel... such studies have been done
before, by the WMF, with power tools (bots), right?

Thanks for any corrections / suggestions,

   sashi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's sourcing

Pine W
Hi Sashi,

I think that there is a research project regarding Wikipedia sources in the
WMF Annual Plan for this fiscal year. I believe that the Head of the
Wikipedia Library, Jake Orlowitz, is involved. I suggest that you reach out
to him at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ocaasi_(WMF).

Also, I recommend that you subscribe to the Research-l mailing list at
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l. You could try
asking your question there, especially if you don't hear back from Jake.

Good luck with your research,

Pine

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:44 PM sashi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I thought I would ask if any of the junior or senior researchers here on
> this mailing list have conducted previous inquiries into Wikipedia's
> sourcing.
>
> I am currently working on a project of determining what proportion of
> Wikipedia is sourced to newspapers, the military, the Church, social
> media, etc.
>
> The data I've compiled this month, along with a brief write-up, have
> been posted to Wikipediocracy:
>
> http://wikipediocracy.com/2018/08/26/wikipedia-sources-methods/
>
> I imagine I'm reinventing the wheel... such studies have been done
> before, by the WMF, with power tools (bots), right?
>
> Thanks for any corrections / suggestions,
>
>    sashi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's sourcing

Adam Wight-2
Hi, you might be interested in "Getting to the Source":

https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2491064
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Heather_Ford/publication/262291510_Getting_to_the_source_where_does_Wikipedia_get_its_information_from/links/56cfed9508aeb52500c9b44a/Getting-to-the-source-where-does-Wikipedia-get-its-information-from.pdf

That work was done 5 years ago, so it's worth checking for followup
research.  Citations might be a good place to start:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?cites=809641647115845540&as_sdt=2005&sciodt=0,5&hl=en

-Adam
[[mw:User:Adamw]]

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 12:43 PM Pine W <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sashi,
>
> I think that there is a research project regarding Wikipedia sources in the
> WMF Annual Plan for this fiscal year. I believe that the Head of the
> Wikipedia Library, Jake Orlowitz, is involved. I suggest that you reach out
> to him at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Ocaasi_(WMF).
>
> Also, I recommend that you subscribe to the Research-l mailing list at
> https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/wiki-research-l. You could
> try
> asking your question there, especially if you don't hear back from Jake.
>
> Good luck with your research,
>
> Pine
>

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:44 PM sashi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I thought I would ask if any of the junior or senior researchers here on
> > this mailing list have conducted previous inquiries into Wikipedia's
> > sourcing.
> >
> > I am currently working on a project of determining what proportion of
> > Wikipedia is sourced to newspapers, the military, the Church, social
> > media, etc.
> >
> > The data I've compiled this month, along with a brief write-up, have
> > been posted to Wikipediocracy:
> >
> > http://wikipediocracy.com/2018/08/26/wikipedia-sources-methods/
> >
> > I imagine I'm reinventing the wheel... such studies have been done
> > before, by the WMF, with power tools (bots), right?
> >
> > Thanks for any corrections / suggestions,
> >
> >    sashi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's sourcing

Robert Fernandez
Interesting metrics and ideas here, but nobody's going to take your
research particularly seriously if you choose to post it in an open
sewer.  I'd suggest a Medium or Wordpress blog.

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 11:44 AM sashi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I thought I would ask if any of the junior or senior researchers here on
> this mailing list have conducted previous inquiries into Wikipedia's
> sourcing.
>
> I am currently working on a project of determining what proportion of
> Wikipedia is sourced to newspapers, the military, the Church, social
> media, etc.
>
> The data I've compiled this month, along with a brief write-up, have
> been posted to Wikipediocracy:
>
> http://wikipediocracy.com/2018/08/26/wikipedia-sources-methods/
>
> I imagine I'm reinventing the wheel... such studies have been done
> before, by the WMF, with power tools (bots), right?
>
> Thanks for any corrections / suggestions,
>
>    sashi

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikipedia's sourcing

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
I would suggest to conduct them on Wikiversity, where people can collaborate on research projects in the same way that make Wikipedia a place no one is going to take an encyclopedic article seriously. 😉