[Wikimedia-l] Wikisource Handbook

Ananth Subray
Dear All,

We all know that Wikisource is one of the trending Wikimedia projects. We
are getting many new editors and new books to Indic language Wikisource's.
At the same time, we even noticed that there are many problems faced by the
new editors and a few of the existing editors.  To help all of the editors
we have created a Handbook titled as *Wikisource Handbook for Indic
communities
<https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikisource_Handbook_for_Indian_Communities.pdf>.
*Which is now available[1] to everyone to make the best use of it. I
request everyone to share this with all those who are in need of support in
editing Wikisource.

Authors of the book: Bodhisattwa Mandal and Ananth Subray P V.

[1].
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikisource_Handbook_for_Indian_Communities.pdf

Thanks and Regards,

*ANANTH SUBRAY P V*

Programme Associate

Access to Knowledge program

The Centre for Internet & Society

+91-9739811664

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource Handbook

mathieu lovato stumpf guntz
Great, thank you.

Could we also launch a Wiki version that would allow localizations, for
example on Meta or Wikibooks?

Cheers

Le 11/09/2018 à 20:25, Ananth Subray a écrit :

> Dear All,
>
> We all know that Wikisource is one of the trending Wikimedia projects. We
> are getting many new editors and new books to Indic language Wikisource's.
> At the same time, we even noticed that there are many problems faced by the
> new editors and a few of the existing editors.  To help all of the editors
> we have created a Handbook titled as *Wikisource Handbook for Indic
> communities
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikisource_Handbook_for_Indian_Communities.pdf>.
> *Which is now available[1] to everyone to make the best use of it. I
> request everyone to share this with all those who are in need of support in
> editing Wikisource.
>

> Authors of the book: Bodhisattwa Mandal and Ananth Subray P V.
>

> [1].
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikisource_Handbook_for_Indian_Communities.pdf
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>

> *ANANTH SUBRAY P V*
>
> Programme Associate
>
> Access to Knowledge program
>
> The Centre for Internet & Society
>
> +91-9739811664

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource Handbook

Peter Southwood
It is CC-by-sa. Of course you can.
Cheers,
Peter

Could we also launch a Wiki version that would allow localizations, for
example on Meta or Wikibooks?

Cheers

Le 11/09/2018 à 20:25, Ananth Subray a écrit :

> Dear All,
>
> We all know that Wikisource is one of the trending Wikimedia projects. We
> are getting many new editors and new books to Indic language Wikisource's.
> At the same time, we even noticed that there are many problems faced by the
> new editors and a few of the existing editors.  To help all of the editors
> we have created a Handbook titled as *Wikisource Handbook for Indic
> communities
> <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikisource_Handbook_for_Indian_Communities.pdf>.
> *Which is now available[1] to everyone to make the best use of it. I
> request everyone to share this with all those who are in need of support in
> editing Wikisource.
>

> Authors of the book: Bodhisattwa Mandal and Ananth Subray P V.
>

> [1].
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikisource_Handbook_for_Indian_Communities.pdf
>
> Thanks and Regards,
>

> *ANANTH SUBRAY P V*
>
> Programme Associate
>
> Access to Knowledge program
>
> The Centre for Internet & Society
>
> +91-9739811664

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource Handbook

bobby shabangu
Fantastic, thanks Ananth!

Regards,
Bobby Shabangu

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 13:53, Peter Southwood <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It is CC-by-sa. Of course you can.
> Cheers,
> Peter

Hey Peter, thank you for the incitive to go on.

Actually, I didn't watched the license before, but it's CC-by-sa-4.0, so
as it is, I couldn't copy/paste it into a Wikimedia wiki, as most of
them are CC-by-3.0, and the other licenses used on some wiki are even
less possibly compatible. I have little doubt Ananth and Bodhisattwa
will grant us persmission to also publish the document under the
CC-by-sa-3.0, but we still need their consent.

More importantly, my implicit questioning was "were could I find the
original working document of from which this PDF was generated from?".
Sure we can always make copy/paste from the PDF, but having the working
document is often far more useful as a base to wikify.

Thank you again to Ananth and Bodhisattwa for the document, I hope we
will be able to make a wiki version together, and thank you Peter for
pointing the license issue and the lake of explicit demand for the
working document.

Cheers

Le 14/09/2018 à 13:53, Peter Southwood a écrit :

> It is CC-by-sa. Of course you can.
> Cheers,
> Peter

Bodhisattwa Mandal
Hi Mathieu,

I have no problem re-licensing the book at all. I assume, Ananth will
confirm soon from his part. He also assured me that he will start working
on the meta version soon.

I was responsible for creating the draft of the handbook and I have the
draft text version with me. I guess, the finalized text version is with
Ananth as he did the rest of the work of designing and finalizing the
handbook. I guess, he will share the text version soon, so that it can be
translated into other languages, including Indic languages.

Regards,
Bodhisattwa

On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 18:00, mathieu lovato stumpf guntz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Peter, thank you for the incitive to go on.
>
> Actually, I didn't watched the license before, but it's CC-by-sa-4.0, so
> as it is, I couldn't copy/paste it into a Wikimedia wiki, as most of
> them are CC-by-3.0, and the other licenses used on some wiki are even
> less possibly compatible. I have little doubt Ananth and Bodhisattwa
> will grant us persmission to also publish the document under the
> CC-by-sa-3.0, but we still need their consent.
>
> More importantly, my implicit questioning was "were could I find the
> original working document of from which this PDF was generated from?".
> Sure we can always make copy/paste from the PDF, but having the working
> document is often far more useful as a base to wikify.
>
> Thank you again to Ananth and Bodhisattwa for the document, I hope we
> will be able to make a wiki version together, and thank you Peter for
> pointing the license issue and the lake of explicit demand for the
> working document.
>
> Cheers
>

> Le 14/09/2018 à 13:53, Peter Southwood a écrit :
> > It is CC-by-sa. Of course you can.
> > Cheers,
> > Peter

Bodhisattwa

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource Handbook

Tanveer Hasan
Hi All,

CIS-A2K team will be extremely glad to support (intellectually and
otherwise) any efforts to localise this handbook. The book can be
relicensed under CC0 as well it that is of help (CIS-A2K team holds the
rights to finalised text version)

On behalf of the A2K team,
Tanveer Hasan AK

ಶುಕ್ರ, ಸೆಪ್ಟೆಂ 14, 2018 ರಂದು 06:30 ಅಪರಾಹ್ನ ಸಮಯಕ್ಕೆ ರಂದು Bodhisattwa Mandal <
[hidden email]> ಅವರು ಬರೆದಿದ್ದಾರೆ:

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> I have no problem re-licensing the book at all. I assume, Ananth will
> confirm soon from his part. He also assured me that he will start working
> on the meta version soon.
>
> I was responsible for creating the draft of the handbook and I have the
> draft text version with me. I guess, the finalized text version is with
> Ananth as he did the rest of the work of designing and finalizing the
> handbook. I guess, he will share the text version soon, so that it can be
> translated into other languages, including Indic languages.
>
> Regards,
> Bodhisattwa
>

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 18:00, mathieu lovato stumpf guntz <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hey Peter, thank you for the incitive to go on.
> >
> > Actually, I didn't watched the license before, but it's CC-by-sa-4.0, so
> > as it is, I couldn't copy/paste it into a Wikimedia wiki, as most of
> > them are CC-by-3.0, and the other licenses used on some wiki are even
> > less possibly compatible. I have little doubt Ananth and Bodhisattwa
> > will grant us persmission to also publish the document under the
> > CC-by-sa-3.0, but we still need their consent.
> >
> > More importantly, my implicit questioning was "were could I find the
> > original working document of from which this PDF was generated from?".
> > Sure we can always make copy/paste from the PDF, but having the working
> > document is often far more useful as a base to wikify.
> >
> > Thank you again to Ananth and Bodhisattwa for the document, I hope we
> > will be able to make a wiki version together, and thank you Peter for
> > pointing the license issue and the lake of explicit demand for the
> > working document.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > Le 14/09/2018 à 13:53, Peter Southwood a écrit :
> > > It is CC-by-sa. Of course you can.
> > > Cheers,
> > > Peter

Dear Mathieu,

I don't have any issue in re-licensing the book. I will be starting the
meta version soon. Since the final version was directly done on Adobe
InDesign
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_InDesign_CC_2015_%28Macintosh%29>. The
older version of it is available
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/11CbKSR4NiNt_qO3N0bBqws5keMwdKeGpLUiDAbFsCR8/edit?usp=sharing>.

Thanks and Regards,

*ANANTH SUBRAY P V*

Programme Associate

Access to Knowledge program

The Centre for Internet & Society

+91-9739811664

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 6:29 PM Bodhisattwa Mandal <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> I have no problem re-licensing the book at all. I assume, Ananth will
> confirm soon from his part. He also assured me that he will start working
> on the meta version soon.
>
> I was responsible for creating the draft of the handbook and I have the
> draft text version with me. I guess, the finalized text version is with
> Ananth as he did the rest of the work of designing and finalizing the
> handbook. I guess, he will share the text version soon, so that it can be
> translated into other languages, including Indic languages.
>
> Regards,
> Bodhisattwa
>

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2018 at 18:00, mathieu lovato stumpf guntz <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey Peter, thank you for the incitive to go on.
>>
>> Actually, I didn't watched the license before, but it's CC-by-sa-4.0, so
>> as it is, I couldn't copy/paste it into a Wikimedia wiki, as most of
>> them are CC-by-3.0, and the other licenses used on some wiki are even
>> less possibly compatible. I have little doubt Ananth and Bodhisattwa
>> will grant us persmission to also publish the document under the
>> CC-by-sa-3.0, but we still need their consent.
>>
>> More importantly, my implicit questioning was "were could I find the
>> original working document of from which this PDF was generated from?".
>> Sure we can always make copy/paste from the PDF, but having the working
>> document is often far more useful as a base to wikify.
>>
>> Thank you again to Ananth and Bodhisattwa for the document, I hope we
>> will be able to make a wiki version together, and thank you Peter for
>> pointing the license issue and the lake of explicit demand for the
>> working document.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> Le 14/09/2018 à 13:53, Peter Southwood a écrit :
>> > It is CC-by-sa. Of course you can.
>> > Cheers,
>> > Peter

Thank you Ananth and Tanveer for your answers.

CC0 would of course also works to thereafter publishing it on Meta.
Please feel free to ping me in the discussion page when the meta version
is published.

Thanks again to all participants