[Wikimedia-l] Wikisource type of site for sheet music at kickstarter

[Wikimedia-l] Wikisource type of site for sheet music at kickstarter

Romaine Wiki-2
Hi all,

I came across the following Kickstarter project about sheet music. The
project aims for making public domain sheet musuc available and keeping
them open. The project is a sort of Wikisource, but then for sheet music,
and I think as Wikimedia movement we should support this somehow.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/openscore/openscore-join-the-sheet-music-revolution

Seeing this project I realise that with Wikimedia platforms we provide all
kinds of knowledge, but sheet music is too limited possible in Wikimedia
yet.

Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource type of site for sheet music at kickstarter

Alessandro Marchetti
IMHO, it is the consequence of the lack of a clear storage policy for medias and files. Commons is not structured (yet),  Wikisource is fragmented in many languages and that's one of the side effect.
The same problem apply also for the information on epigraphy or plates for example. Or ancient documents that are not printed books, such as hand-written letters.
In real life, in a big and multidisciplinary academic library all these collections (books in different languages, music note sheets, audio files, DVDs) might be scattered in different sections or on different supports, but it would unusual to create on the long term the sort of classification we have. In my experience, they can be separated by theme (e.g. a music library containg all media file and books about music or an archeological library offering database of inscriptions and academic books), but not by "supports". Books on one side, images and audio file on the other, and whatever is left over, it looks like we lack a clear organization strategy.
And it's strange sometimes when you work with newbies or expert people from the academia. They see wikidata and they don't get why commons is still not structured at the same level. They see dozens of different wikisources and they don't get why, if commons and wikidata can exist as multilingual platform, in wikisource language separation is such a big deal.
One day we really should start rethink the general architecture of our file storage.
Alex

    Il Venerdì 23 Giugno 2017 4:49, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

 Hi all,

I came across the following Kickstarter project about sheet music. The
project aims for making public domain sheet musuc available and keeping
them open. The project is a sort of Wikisource, but then for sheet music,
and I think as Wikimedia movement we should support this somehow.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/openscore/openscore-join-the-sheet-music-revolution

Seeing this project I realise that with Wikimedia platforms we provide all
kinds of knowledge, but sheet music is too limited possible in Wikimedia
yet.

Romaine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource type of site for sheet music at kickstarter

jmh649
Could go on Wikisource no? If it takes off than it could potentially be its
own Wikimedia site.

James

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 7:48 PM, Romaine Wiki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I came across the following Kickstarter project about sheet music. The
> project aims for making public domain sheet musuc available and keeping
> them open. The project is a sort of Wikisource, but then for sheet music,
> and I think as Wikimedia movement we should support this somehow.
>
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/openscore/openscore-
> join-the-sheet-music-revolution
>
> Seeing this project I realise that with Wikimedia platforms we provide all
> kinds of knowledge, but sheet music is too limited possible in Wikimedia
> yet.
>
> Romaine

James Heilman
MD, CCFP-EM, Wikipedian

The Wikipedia Open Textbook of Medicine

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource type of site for sheet music at kickstarter

Tim Starling-2
On 23/06/17 12:48, Romaine Wiki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I came across the following Kickstarter project about sheet music. The
> project aims for making public domain sheet musuc available and keeping
> them open. The project is a sort of Wikisource, but then for sheet music,
> and I think as Wikimedia movement we should support this somehow.

Seems like a duplicate of Mutopia, except funded via Kickstarter. You
give them money on Kickstarter and they download the score from IMSLP
and transcribe it for you. This doesn't appear to be a business model
that would benefit from our help.

-- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource type of site for sheet music at kickstarter

Andrea Zanni-2
The English Wikisource already has the Lilypond extension to host Sheet
music:
https://en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Special:PagesWithProp/score&limit=500

AFAIK, though, Lilypond notation is not easy and I'm not sure how
widespread is the use of transcribing music notation in Wikisource
communities.

Aubrey

On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 7:04 AM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 23/06/17 12:48, Romaine Wiki wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I came across the following Kickstarter project about sheet music. The
> > project aims for making public domain sheet musuc available and keeping
> > them open. The project is a sort of Wikisource, but then for sheet music,
> > and I think as Wikimedia movement we should support this somehow.
>
> Seems like a duplicate of Mutopia, except funded via Kickstarter. You
> give them money on Kickstarter and they download the score from IMSLP
> and transcribe it for you. This doesn't appear to be a business model
> that would benefit from our help.
>
> -- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource type of site for sheet music at kickstarter

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Andrea Zanni <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The English Wikisource already has the Lilypond extension to host Sheet
> music:
> https://en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Special:
> PagesWithProp/score&limit=500

It is Extension:Score <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Score>
(using Lilypond), and it is on all Wikisources (like in German
<https://fr.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Special:PagesWithProp/score&limit=500>,
French
<https://de.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Special:PagesWithProp/score&limit=500>
or
even Breton
<https://br.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Special:PagesWithProp/score&limit=500>).
:)

> AFAIK, though, Lilypond notation is not easy and I'm not sure how
> widespread is the use of transcribing music notation in Wikisource
> communities.
>
> Aubrey
>
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 7:04 AM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 23/06/17 12:48, Romaine Wiki wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I came across the following Kickstarter project about sheet music. The
> > > project aims for making public domain sheet musuc available and keeping
> > > them open. The project is a sort of Wikisource, but then for sheet
> music,
> > > and I think as Wikimedia movement we should support this somehow.
> >
> > Seems like a duplicate of Mutopia, except funded via Kickstarter. You
> > give them money on Kickstarter and they download the score from IMSLP
> > and transcribe it for you. This doesn't appear to be a business model
> > that would benefit from our help.
> >
> > -- Tim Starling

Benoît Evellin (Trizek)
Community Liaison

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource type of site for sheet music at kickstarter

Yann Forget-3
And the French Wikisource too. ;)

Yann

> The English Wikisource already has the Lilypond extension to host Sheet
> music:
> https://en.wikisource.org/w/index.php?title=Special:
> PagesWithProp/score&limit=500
>
> AFAIK, though, Lilypond notation is not easy and I'm not sure how
> widespread is the use of transcribing music notation in Wikisource
> communities.
>
> Aubrey
>
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 7:04 AM, Tim Starling <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On 23/06/17 12:48, Romaine Wiki wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I came across the following Kickstarter project about sheet music. The
> > > project aims for making public domain sheet musuc available and keeping
> > > them open. The project is a sort of Wikisource, but then for sheet
> music,
> > > and I think as Wikimedia movement we should support this somehow.
> >
> > Seems like a duplicate of Mutopia, except funded via Kickstarter. You
> > give them money on Kickstarter and they download the score from IMSLP
> > and transcribe it for you. This doesn't appear to be a business model
> > that would benefit from our help.
> >
> > -- Tim Starling

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikisource type of site for sheet music at kickstarter

Bodhisattwa Mandal
Hi,

Can Hindusthani musical notation or Swaralipi be included in Extension
score or may be in a new extension? In Bengali Wikisource, we have around
30 books containing these notations but we don't have a way to figure them
out.
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T58087

Regards,