[Wikimedia-l] Wikitribune!

Fæ
On 25 April 2017 at 22:59, Jimmy Wales <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Today I announced a new initiative, outside of my Wikimedia activities,
> to combat fake news. It is important to me that I share directly with
> all of you information about this new initiative early on.
>
> The new project  will use a wiki-style setup and experiment with
> bringing together professional journalists and community contributors to
> produce fact-checked, global news stories.  At launch, we'll be using a
> hacked version of wordpress and we'll be evaluating whether that's the
> right tool moving forward.  Wordpress has a lot to
> commend it (free software, mature platform, used by lots of newsrooms,
> active developer ecosystem) but also has some philosophy that's quite
> "top down" in a way.
> (Not many people would think in a wiki way when setting up a newsroom!)
>
> This new initiative, Wikitribune, will be a learning experience - my
> vision is one that I've had a hard time explaining... except to
> Wikimedians who tend to immediately
> get it.
>
> While I am launching this project independent from Wikipedia and the
> Wikimedia Foundation, it is my plan that this new project will work
> alongside Wikimedia in the free knowledge movement. For example, I hope
> that the numerous Wikinews/Wikinoticias/Wikinotizie/etc. communities can
> collaborate with the  Wikitribune community in way that allows both to
> learn and benefit from each other. Additionally, Wikitribune will
> utilize the same Creative Commons license (CC-BY) as other free content
> projects in
> the news space - so they can take the stories written by our
> professional journalists and communities and make use of them.
>
> You can find out more information about Wikitribune at:
> https://www.wikitribune.com
>
> Thank you for your time and I'm happy to answer questions!  (But I'm
> quite swamped with everything at the moment so please forgive me if I
> answer in bursts!)
>
> --Jimbo

Would anyone like to give an update, with some verifiable sources, on
what has happened to Wikitribune? Perhaps it will remain at an
indefinite "venture capital stage" with no launch date, or maybe there
been a decision to pull the plug?

I have been hunting around for publications since the announcement on
this list, and believe there has been none apart from a poorly judged
"taster" article, based on an interview with Richard Curtis, which
appeared intended to promote a forthcoming charity event aimed at
media luvvies. The "taster" had a poor reception for its bias and
errors.[1][2][3]

In the light of how huge "fake news" has become this year, it is
surprising that the team of journalists employed by Wikitribune for
over six months (fack check please?) have missed out on the
opportunity to be seen influencing press coverage of say, Trump,
Brexit, Facebook ads or even planet Niburi by providing their own fact
checks.

Links:
1. Taster article:
https://medium.com/wikitribune/wikitribune-taster-1-the-great-and-the-good-meet-to-promote-un-global-goals-729a22401bd3
2. Times response to the taster:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jimmy-wales-wikitribune-s-weak-debut-rattles-backers-lily-cole-5zs3q37gs
3. Related announcement of launch edition, Aug 2017:
https://www.journalism.co.uk/news/wikitribune-announces-launch-editor-and-plans-to-publish-first-edition-this-year/s2/a708086/

Thanks,
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikitribune!

Isaac Olatunde
Hi Fae,

Is there a possibility for you to contact Jimbo or any Wikitribune staff
member about this? I don't just think a thread here on what has happened to
Wikitribune serves any useful purpose.

Regards,

Isaac.

On Oct 21, 2017 12:45 PM, "Fæ" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> surprising that the team of journalists employed by Wikitribune for
> over six months (fack check please?) have missed out on the
> opportunity to be seen influencing press coverage of say, Trump,
> Brexit, Facebook ads or even planet Niburi by providing their own fact
> checks.
>
> Links:
> 1. Taster article:
> https://medium.com/wikitribune/wikitribune-taster-1-the-great-and-the-
> good-meet-to-promote-un-global-goals-729a22401bd3
> 2. Times response to the taster:
> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jimmy-wales-wikitribune-s-weak-debut-
> rattles-backers-lily-cole-5zs3q37gs
> 3. Related announcement of launch edition, Aug 2017:
> https://www.journalism.co.uk/news/wikitribune-announces-
> launch-editor-and-plans-to-publish-first-edition-this-year/s2/a708086/

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikitribune!

Fæ
On 21 October 2017 at 12:44, Fæ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> media luvvies. The "taster" had a poor reception for its bias and
> errors.[1][2][3]
>
> In the light of how huge "fake news" has become this year, it is
> surprising that the team of journalists employed by Wikitribune for
> over six months (fack check please?) have missed out on the
> opportunity to be seen influencing press coverage of say, Trump,
> Brexit, Facebook ads or even planet Niburi by providing their own fact
> checks.
>
> Links:
> 1. Taster article:
> https://medium.com/wikitribune/wikitribune-taster-1-the-great-and-the-good-meet-to-promote-un-global-goals-729a22401bd3
> 2. Times response to the taster:
> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jimmy-wales-wikitribune-s-weak-debut-rattles-backers-lily-cole-5zs3q37gs
> 3. Related announcement of launch edition, Aug 2017:

Update: My question was premature, The Times article from a week ago
includes a statement from Peter Bale that the launch edition will be
published at the end of this month.

The good news is that everyone will be able to assess the quality of
Wikitribune's "fact-checked global news stories" for themselves before
31st October.

Thanks,
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikitribune!

Fæ
On 21 October 2017 at 13:05, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> surprising that the team of journalists employed by Wikitribune for
>> over six months (fack check please?) have missed out on the
>> opportunity to be seen influencing press coverage of say, Trump,
>> Brexit, Facebook ads or even planet Niburi by providing their own fact
>> checks.
>>
>> Links:
>> 1. Taster article:
>> https://medium.com/wikitribune/wikitribune-taster-1-the-great-and-the-
>> good-meet-to-promote-un-global-goals-729a22401bd3
>> 2. Times response to the taster:
>> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jimmy-wales-wikitribune-s-weak-debut-
>> rattles-backers-lily-cole-5zs3q37gs
>> 3. Related announcement of launch edition, Aug 2017:
>> https://www.journalism.co.uk/news/wikitribune-announces-
>> launch-editor-and-plans-to-publish-first-edition-this-year/s2/a708086/

Hi Isaac,

Jimmy Wales launched Wikitribune on this list, and was happy to answer
questions about it on this list.

So I guess it's an optimal place to raise questions, and I have no
reason to second guess Jimmy's judgement on the communication channels
he wants to use to talk about Wikitribune.

Thanks,
Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikitribune!

Isaac Olatunde
Fae, Wikitribune is not a Wikimedia project but a project owned by one of
 the Foundation's trustee, Jimbo. Thus, any question about Wikitribune
should be sent to Jimbo. I don't just see the need for this thread if there
is a possibility to ask Jimbo personally.

Regards,

Isaac.

On Oct 21, 2017 3:48 PM, "Fæ" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 October 2017 at 13:05, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Hi Fae,
> >
> > Is there a possibility for you to contact Jimbo or any Wikitribune staff
> > member about this? I don't just think a thread here on what has happened
> > Wikitribune serves any useful purpose.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Isaac.
> >
> > On Oct 21, 2017 12:45 PM, "Fæ" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> activities,

> newsroom!)

> hope
> can
> content

> >> Would anyone like to give an update, with some verifiable sources, on
> >> what has happened to Wikitribune? Perhaps it will remain at an
> >> indefinite "venture capital stage" with no launch date, or maybe there
> >> been a decision to pull the plug?
> >>
> >> I have been hunting around for publications since the announcement on
> >> this list, and believe there has been none apart from a poorly judged
> >> "taster" article, based on an interview with Richard Curtis, which
> >> appeared intended to promote a forthcoming charity event aimed at
> >> media luvvies. The "taster" had a poor reception for its bias and
> >> errors.[1][2][3]
> >>
> >> In the light of how huge "fake news" has become this year, it is
> >> surprising that the team of journalists employed by Wikitribune for
> >> over six months (fack check please?) have missed out on the
> >> opportunity to be seen influencing press coverage of say, Trump,
> >> Brexit, Facebook ads or even planet Niburi by providing their own fact
> >> checks.
> >>
> >> Links:
> >> 1. Taster article:
> >> https://medium.com/wikitribune/wikitribune-taster-1-the-great-and-the-
> >> good-meet-to-promote-un-global-goals-729a22401bd3
> >> 2. Times response to the taster:
> >> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jimmy-wales-wikitribune-
> s-weak-debut-
> >> rattles-backers-lily-cole-5zs3q37gs
> >> 3. Related announcement of launch edition, Aug 2017:
> >> https://www.journalism.co.uk/news/wikitribune-announces-
> >> launch-editor-and-plans-to-publish-first-edition-this-year/s2/a708086/
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Fae
> >> --
> >> [hidden email] https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Fae
>
> Hi Isaac,
>
> Jimmy Wales launched Wikitribune on this list, and was happy to answer
> questions about it on this list.
>
> So I guess it's an optimal place to raise questions, and I have no
> reason to second guess Jimmy's judgement on the communication channels
> he wants to use to talk about Wikitribune.
>
> Thanks,
> Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikitribune!

Fæ
That's a useful distinction Isaac, thanks.

If Jimmy uses this list to start another thread about Wikitribune, we
should raise that with him. Sadly nobody thought to raise that issue
when there were only super positive comments about what a great idea
Jimmy's new company was.

Thanks,
Fae

On 21 October 2017 at 18:55, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Fae, Wikitribune is not a Wikimedia project but a project owned by one of
> the Foundation's trustee, Jimbo. Thus, any question about Wikitribune should
> be sent to Jimbo. I don't just see the need for this thread if there is a
> possibility to ask Jimbo personally.
>
> Regards,
>
> Isaac.
>

> On Oct 21, 2017 3:48 PM, "Fæ" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 21 October 2017 at 13:05, Isaac Olatunde <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Fae,
>> >
>> > Is there a possibility for you to contact Jimbo or any Wikitribune staff
>> > member about this? I don't just think a thread here on what has happened
>> > Wikitribune serves any useful purpose.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Isaac.

>> Hi Isaac,
>>
>> Jimmy Wales launched Wikitribune on this list, and was happy to answer
>> questions about it on this list.
>>
>> So I guess it's an optimal place to raise questions, and I have no
>> reason to second guess Jimmy's judgement on the communication channels
>> he wants to use to talk about Wikitribune.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Fae

Re: [Wikimedia-l] Wikitribune!

Lodewijk
Well, someone announcing such a project could also be seen as a disclosure.
And answering initial questions around such announcement/disclosure is
something different from using this as the go-to place to ask those
questions.

The way you're phrasing this mostly leaves an impression that you're trying
to 'catch' jimmy in something, not sure if that was indeed the case. If you
genuinly just want to see curiosity answered, emailing direction seems most
sensible in this case. If you're concerned that there are conflicts with
Wikimedia's mission at this point, this list is probably the right venue -
but then you should be clearer about it.

Lodewijk